MLB 09: The Show - March 3, 2009 - Demo Out Now!

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah A LOT of the career stats are screwed up. No one has a stat line before last year, and it says Manny only has 360 some odd homers. Edmonds and Sexton were messed up also.

Has anyone logged onto the Sports Zone to see if there's an official new roster patch for today (it usually updated on Monday's last year) or do I have to go to the roster vault?[/quote]

Yeah, there was one for today. It has Manny back on the Dodgers, Nomar to the A's and a few other moves.

Has anyone noticed glitches in their RTTS games? Outfielders and catchers can mysteriously run through the walls and disappear into the stands. This has happened on more than 3 occasions. Also, hitting in this year's game seems harder than last year's. There have been times where my RTTS guy will nail a high fastball that I think is 500ft home run, but it will be a two hopper to the short stop. However, when I swing early at a ball low and outside, it's a line drive down the 3rd baseline as a lefty, vice versa for a righty. That should either be a dribbler to the pitcher or an infielder or I should miss completely. Also, diving for ground balls is WAY off. I'll make a perfect dive for a ball, but it goes under my glove, or jump OVER the ball somehow. The physics just seem off.

AND the load times...holy balls. The load times for RTTS are ATROCIOUS. The last game I played took nearly 2 minutes (yes I timed it) to load a game in which I was the pinch hitter. Thank jeebus that I had my laptop next to me or else I would have been bored out of my mind.

Please tell me I'm not the only one experiencing these problems...

Well, I can agree that the hitting definitely seems harder, even on the regular 'veteran' setting.
Don't have the time to invest into RTTS, but I wouldn't be suprised if the bugs you mention are real.

One thing that they never fixed/addressed was the whole problem with power swings, and guessing correctly on the pitch. For example, guessing correctly on a 2-1 fastball down the middle of the plate will still often result on a ground-out (even if the hitter is Vlad, and I use the power swing)

[quote name='dragonjud']Well, I can agree that the hitting definitely seems harder, even on the regular 'veteran' setting.
Don't have the time to invest into RTTS, but I wouldn't be suprised if the bugs you mention are real.

One thing that they never fixed/addressed was the whole problem with power swings, and guessing correctly on the pitch. For example, guessing correctly on a 2-1 fastball down the middle of the plate will still often result on a ground-out (even if the hitter is Vlad, and I use the power swing)[/QUOTE]

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having issues with batting. I even tried batting on the rookie mode and I was still having issues. I'm a veteran of sorts when it comes to baseball games so I think I have a good eye for balls, strikes, and when to hit. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've taken a perfect swing at a low pitch only to have it be a pop up (not impossible, but 9/10 times?) or a dribbler, not a hard hit, to an infielder. Even balls up near my chest are barely line drives or dribblers up the middle. It just doesn't make sense.

Oh and playing my first real game with two MLB teams, I hit a home run with Stephen Drew on the first pitch. It was a wonderful feeling and I recorded it to brag, don't get me wrong, but Drew is not our lead off hitter and he certainly doesn't hit 400 feet opposite field home runs either. I love the guy, but it just doesn't happen :lol:.

Again, nothing wrong with the hitting. You need to look for your pitch like in real life. I played baseball for ever, and I know when a pitch is good is coming. But if you come into this game and expect to get liners off of every pitch, then you will be dissapointed.

This is from OS on how to get around the stats glitch. It's apparently still an issue even after the patch yesterday.

"Maybe a mod could sticky this so it doesn't get lost...it works...I've re-tested this and refined the instructions so there is one less step...(you needn't save the downloaded SCEA roster for this to work)

1. Load up game and go straight to SportsConnect
2. It will apply SCEA's latest roster file (you needn't save it)
3. Log out of SportsConnect
4. This applied roster is now active - you can check by viewing the Yankees, Pettite is on the roster...A-Rod has 553 Hrs.
5. Load up Knight's edited roster for better franchise/season lineups
6. Goto roster management for the Yankees and check A-Rod's player card - 553 HRs.
7. Start season/franchise using "current" rosters, don't "load" them..
8. Once inside of the franchise check again and he's still on 553, Texieria on 203
9. Checked a few scores and Damon leading off, so using Knight's fixes...historical stats are also correct.

There is nothing stopping you editing Knight's roster after following 1-9..however you will need to re-start the game, follow steps 1-9 again for those changes to take effect without affecting the historical stats - should you re-load a different roster in the meantime.

This was picked up after I noticed A-Rod and Teixeira's stats had swapped between both players (A-Rod at one point had 203 HRs, Teixeira, 553 HRs) after I'd manually loaded several rosters...it was a bit of luck how I came across this workaround but it does work. If you load Knight's or any other roster (even a downloaded SCEA one) without going online first you will see Teixeira will have A-Rod's historical stats and vice versa...it also affects other player's stats too..not every one but it does affect some others...doing 1-9 will stop this happening.

There is definitely something wrong with the SCEA code logic when loading a roster for these stats getting skewed..hopefully the above helps the guys at SCEA to pinpoint this enabling them to fix it in a patch (with better lineups as well please)

Thanks."

Today's MLB 09 themes on the PS Store (not so good team week):

Atlanta Braves
San Francisco Giants
Cincinnati Reds
Colorado Rockies
Detroit Tigers

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Again, nothing wrong with the hitting. You need to look for your pitch like in real life. I played baseball for ever, and I know when a pitch is good is coming. But if you come into this game and expect to get liners off of every pitch, then you will be dissapointed.[/quote]

Hmm, I don't think you read our argument closely enough. I've played the Show enough over the last two years to realize that this 'guess pitch' feature is either broken or wildly inconsistent. In this scenario, David right has two at bats, and here are the outcomes:
1. Guesses correctly on a 2-1 fastball down the middle of the plate, but grounds out weakly to shortstop (my timing was perfect on the pitch)

2. Guesses incorrectly on an outside 1-2 curve ball, but manages to hit it out of the ball park (timing was a bit off on the swing).

You can call that realism all you want, but the fact is that all these items are based on a mathematical formula. Whatever that formula is, it needs some adjusting. The game is good, but it is not perfect.

A 2-1 fastball will never be down the middle of the plate. Never. Ever. Ever. Ever. Also when you guess the pitch, you don't get superhuman powers, you just know what pitch is coming. I think people are confusing the older Guess the Pitches with the new one. On the older ones you got a stat increase. I think you actually get a state decrease from guessing the pitch correctly in this one.

Does anyone know how long your rating is pending for online play? I've played 5 games, been rated 3 times(average of 4), and it still says pending.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']A 2-1 fastball will never be down the middle of the plate. Never. Ever. Ever. Ever. Also when you guess the pitch, you don't get superhuman powers, you just know what pitch is coming. I think people are confusing the older Guess the Pitches with the new one. On the older ones you got a stat increase. I think you actually get a state decrease from guessing the pitch correctly in this one.[/quote]

This. I hit way more doubles/HR's in RTTS by guessing fastball with incorrect location and then adjusting to the actual pitch location. If I guess it all correctly I typically get a single because the timing is perfect. But I used to hit .375+ in '08 and my RTTS guy is hitting just above .300 this year. So batting has definitely gotten harder I think. Not sure about the stat decrease but in my 1 year or so of hitting in RTTS I'd be inclined to believe it. I love the challenge though!

It would've been nice to raise the cap on what I can raise my attributes to when creating a player for RttS so I could put more than 5 points into contact to start off.

Oh I have my YouTube page updated with clips from exhibition games of The Show, link is in sig. Once I start my franchise, I'll put those in there also.

Have there been any good rosters in the roster vault that have accurate MLB and minor league rosters? There was a pretty good one at the beginning of March, but I really don't want to have to edit that for the last month of transactions.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Have there been any good rosters in the roster vault that have accurate MLB and minor league rosters? There was a pretty good one at the beginning of March, but I really don't want to have to edit that for the last month of transactions.[/quote]

Check for Ridin's rosters. He just released an update yesterday that has all the minor leagues done and all transactions current (like Hammel to the Rockies). Best roster to use for now until Knight releases his in the next week or 2.

Hey guys, here are some of my videos.

Cubs vs Cardinals highlights (including Zambrano home run):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPO6JqYzshw

Travis Ishikawa walk off home run in extra innings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWMX12IKj_Q

Milton Bradley strikes out, but reaches third:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFyO1j65apE

Rick Ankiel broken bat out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usnVp6B2gMU

Derrek Lee turns a questionable 3-2 double play:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh40NNirI4Q

I'll be uploading a Red Sox vs Twins post game highlight video sometime soon too. I had a two home run game with Pedroia.

[quote name='DestroVega']so Knight is the roster king perse?[/quote]

Yep, cause he has multiple people working on it. Knight does all the ratings for everybody and creates all of the minor leaguers, Razr does all the pitching stuff (repertoire of a pitcher, how fast the fastball should be, how much movement, etc), Strut does all of the accessories and stances/deliveries of almost every player.

Played a full 162 game season with the Giants last year using his roster and I got very accurate results that mirrored the real MLB (Rays got into the playoffs, Longoria won ROTY, Webb/Santana/Lincecum were top 3 canidates for NL Cy Young, etc).

Anyone wonder why Ridin took down Edmonds and Schilling's ratings to nothing? I know Schilling announced his retirement, but Edmonds still wants to get on somewhere, although I don't know who would take him.

Anyone know if Knight uploaded his rosters yet? The people at OS are brutal if you ask a question. Also, who has the best rosters currently? I know there is Ridin, Knight and Wookie (I think).

Well, the time has come. Knight's finally released his rosters!!!!

There's gonna be an updated version sometime next week with more accurate stuff like faces and stances but if you dont care about that, you can now start your franchises!

Problem with Knight's rosters is the statistical glitch is in them, even if you do the workaround I posted before. Ridin just released his final rosters yesterday, and if you do the workaround, his historical stats are perfect.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Problem with Knight's rosters is the statistical glitch is in them, even if you do the workaround I posted before. Ridin just released his final rosters yesterday, and if you do the workaround, his historical stats are perfect.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm using Ridin's too. I honestly think this game isn't capable of handling all that Knight is trying to do for it. There are far too many glitches and BS coding that both of these guys have had to work around to really get anything as flawless as Knight would like to have it. It still pisses me off that when I voiced this thought on OS, I got obliterated for it. If anybody would be honest with themselves for one second, they'd admit that the coding in this year's game is the shittiest job done in any game in a long time.

The fact that people have to do magic tricks to keep the game from swapping career stats between players is a joke. I took Ridin's rosters, added my player walk up music, created my Franchise and RttS saves, and now I'm finally ready to actually play the game. I could care less what SCEA does with it from here out. As far as I'm concerned, they can stop the weekly roster updates, and get a head start on next year's game, to make sure it actually works correctly. The community of players is what made this game playable. No thanks to SCEA.

Apparently Ridin's rosters have the stat glitch now too because of the newest SCEA roster that got released today. So if you didnt save a franchise already, the stat glitch may have hit your rosters too.

I think I'll just wait for 1 more week and hope that the patch comes out and fixes it.

[quote name='TheRock88']Apparently Ridin's rosters have the stat glitch now too because of the newest SCEA roster that got released today. So if you didnt save a franchise already, the stat glitch may have hit your rosters too.

I think I'll just wait for 1 more week and hope that the patch comes out and fixes it.[/quote]

Wow, glad I started mine last night then. That's what he was anticipating. I'm pretty sure the only reason his didn't have the stat glitch was because he redid them based them on the most recent roster update (4/13). It's crazy that he was able get all that done in less than a week. Dude deserves all the credit in the world.

[quote name='DestroVega']i really couldn't care about a guy's career stats being right anyway.i just want the best roster out there.[/quote]

Yeah, it's a minor thing, but hearing them announce "Alex Rodriguez just hit his 100th career home run!" and knowing that I paid $60 for a sim baseball game would burn me up inside. SCEA should be embarrassed. That's bush league, haha.

The other problem Knight is even struggling with with his rosters is the lineup glitch. If you leave CPU roster control off, the AI will go nuts putting players in all kinds of ridiculous batting orders. But if you turn CPU roster control on, it turns off injuries, and a couple other things. Plus, from what I've read, the lineups won't stay the way you set them anyway. I still don't know how they managed to miss all this crap during testing. The game feels like a beta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started an Orioles franchise. Believe me, I made some trades to make my team somewhat respectable.

Anyway, I was playing a 4 game set with Boston. Early in the season. I get swept. I lost 3 games by 1 run, including two of them which went into the bottom of the 12th and lost on walk off home runs.

The problem? I was leading in every single game. I was winning 6-0 in one game and I was in the bottom of the 6th, and all of a sudden, the AI gets some sort of trigger and starts jacking home runs and hitting triples. I did nothing different, stayed aggressive, made the right pitches, but what worked for the first 5 didn't work for that inning.

I'm not really complaining that I lost. I honestly had a great time, but something was off b/c in every game, they made their comeback in the 6th inning. I searched around today, and found out there may be a glitch in the comeback thing. If you have the option off, it means its on, and vice versa. It was getting to a point where I was scared of having the lead b/c I'm gonna give it up eventually. I'll try it tonight, but has anyone had this problem before?

Anyone have the slightest idea when the patch might come out? They posted the same exact "sorry for the inconvenience" message a couple of days ago that they had a week or so back.

Patch came out today but the historical stats are still messed up and the computer lineup logic is still messed up as well. Only thing that looks like it's confirmed that got fixed are schedules (Cubs play more day games now just like in real life).

Russell said he's gonna post a list of what was contained in the patch asap over at OS. As of right now, the patch is a huge disappointment.

[quote name='TheRock88']Patch came out today but the historical stats are still messed up and the computer lineup logic is still messed up as well. Only thing that looks like it's confirmed that got fixed are schedules (Cubs play more day games now just like in real life).

Russell said he's gonna post a list of what was contained in the patch asap over at OS. As of right now, the patch is a huge disappointment.[/quote]

that is hilariously terrible. No shock though.

Here's a list of the fixes. Looks like free agents are now usable in leagues.

MLB 09 The Show PS3: Patch 2 Addressed Issues

General:

• AL and NL West (including Cubs) schedule addresses. Day games updated to correct time zone.
  • Addressed CPU Pitcher Energy from always full when pressing the quick menu while batting.
  • Fixed the issue when in the bullpen moving from last pitcher (closer) to top pitcher, the top pitcher's stats stay the same as the closer.
  • Inning pitched count corrected for pitchers during spring training. This is in ALL SEASON Modes.
  • Fixed AUTO BASERUNNING. Users should no longer be able to control steels for you or CPU using L1 and L2 in any game at any time.
  • Fixed the Movie Recording feature in both Replay and Replay Vault. Users should no longer get stuck after multiple recordings.
  • Players names not being called correctly in the audio. One specific item was Beltran being called Delgado and vice versa. This line used to be erroneously said for Juan Rivera. It has now been corrected to play for Casey Kotchman. This line used to be erroneously said for David Ortiz. This line used to be erroneously said for Miguel Cabrera. It has now been "disabled".
  • Career stats after going online and using weekly online Live Rosters or using the Online Roster Vault should now be correct.
  • Fixed issues with unbalanced trades when the rosters were full. 3 for 1 trades that will result in people being placed on waivers should now function.
  • Fix the problem in RTTS as the pitcher when a baserunner from 1st steals, the camera would sometimes swing around thru the crowd.
  • Fix switch hitter sub presentations using the wrong helmet sometimes.
  • Fix RTTS CP never getting a goal before the 1st pitch
  • Fix the Batter Training camera automatically being set to Catcher Cam.
  • Fix the Flashback Presentation X out problem.

Franchise Bugs

1.Fixed September 14 Road to the Show season lock.
2.Scouted players should now have feedback at the time of the amateur draft in June.
3.Fixed CPU roster control and lineup issue where users turn cpu roster control on, set a lineup, but lineup changes do not hold.
4.Fixed a bug where the user controlled team would not receive compensation picks when they lose Type A and B freeagents.
5.Fixed bug not allowing farm directors to be hired or fired. Just load into a franchise and fire a farm director during the off-season.
6.Addressed a problem where the title loses simulating functionality in franchise mode when addressing online requests.

Online:
1.Addressed Free Agents in the Online league Live draft. They should now be placed on teams through Roster Update are usable on user’s teams. (Guys like Manny Ramirez or Adam Dunn should now be available.)
2.Fixed Message Board bug that result in no messages being shown after changing full pages.
3.Reduced online game bandwidth usage.
4.Made minor change to the League create screen to Randomize the Draft time to various 30 minute increments from 12noon from 8pm.
An attempt to fix in-game disconnect issues in the production community. This is in an effort to stop the dreaded traffic delay problem the the community is reporting.

Seems they did fix all the stat glitches, drafting glitches, and even tried to cut down bandwith used to stop the terrible lag... we'll see what happens.

Damn...that's gotta be the biggest list of bugs I've ever seen. I give them credit if they were actually able to fix all of them. But seriously, maybe testing the game a little more before release would be a better strategy next year. It's already probably going to keep me from buying it day one. I was very critical of people who didn't want to buy the game day one this year in the hope that they could save some money. My argument was that The Show is one of the few games worth $60. But all these glitches have made me eat crow on that one.

Considering that several aspects of the game were just made playable today, it makes me wonder how much money I could have saved. I probably could have gotten this during this past weekend's B2G1 sale at Gamestop. The ONLY incentive to buy a game at launch is to be able to enjoy it from the beginning. If companies can't provide a fully working product, that incentive is negated.

[quote name='DestroVega']does this mean the FA's we drafted will show up now? or just if u did a draft now?[/quote]

This is what I'm worried about. If every fix is a "starting from now" thing, it's going to sting even more that we all bought the game almost 2 months ago. I'll feel compelled to start over with everything...but that makes for a lot of wasted time.

I disagree with you Nate, I love the game and happy I bought it. I don't care about the small bugs, and none of them seriously kill the game; it's not like RB2 where there's bugs that make the game unplayable and they haven't been fixed, so atleast SCEA gets on the ball and fixes things.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Damn...that's gotta be the biggest list of bugs I've ever seen. I give them credit if they were actually able to fix all of them. But seriously, maybe testing the game a little more before release would be a better strategy next year. It's already probably going to keep me from buying it day one. I was very critical of people who didn't want to buy the game day one this year in the hope that they could save some money. My argument was that The Show is one of the few games worth $60. But all these glitches have made me eat crow on that one.

Considering that several aspects of the game were just made playable today, it makes me wonder how much money I could have saved. I probably could have gotten this during this past weekend's B2G1 sale at Gamestop. The ONLY incentive to buy a game at launch is to be able to enjoy it from the beginning. If companies can't provide a fully working product, that incentive is negated.[/quote]

Has anyone even seen a used copy of this game? Most stores in my area don't even have the game in-stock new, let alone used.

The bugs have definately knocked this game out of the front spot currently for the Checkmate Arcade Golden King award for 2009 Sports Game of the Year. Frontrunner right now may be UFC 2009.

Edit: I wonder what I'm supposed to do with my PSP version that I got for free with my PSP system purchase on Amazon as it has the glitch also. Has anyone heard anything about that?

I've seen a couple used copies, but I think n8's stretching a bit too far when he says the game has the biggest list of bugs ever. It's no where near MLB 2K9's and I hardly consider, what, 15 bugs to be that big. It's kinda starting to be trolling man.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']I disagree with you Nate, I love the game and happy I bought it. I don't care about the small bugs, and none of them seriously kill the game; it's not like RB2 where there's bugs that make the game unplayable and they haven't been fixed, so atleast SCEA gets on the ball and fixes things.[/quote]

Small bugs? Look at that list dude. That's 25 things. How does someone not lose their job for that crap? And don't bring up shit with RB2 just because you like to argue. You're just trying to antagonize people. The Show markets itself as "the most realistic baseball experience on any console". If they've got 25 glitches that make the game play unrealistically, they've massively failed in that claim. Whether or not they "kill the game". I didn't pay $60 to see Todd fucking Helton lead off. That's unacceptable.

And yes, I appreciate them actually fixing the issues, rather than just leaving it be, but that doesn't mean I wasn't burned for buying it day one. If their response is "We've got it fixed now. Any franchises, RttS's, leagues, rosters, etc. from this point on won't have any glitches!", then it wouldn't take a genius to recognize you'd be better off buying the game now. Which is why I'll wait next year.

I've pretty much decided that with all my sports games. Madden 09 was buggy as hell, NHL 09 had a glitch that made people gods. If these companies continue to release games that need huge fixes to appease their fanbase, then I'll start waiting for the fixes before I buy the game...and save myself $15-20 in the process.

Yes...I'm trolling my favorite baseball series ever. One that I host a league for. That makes sense...

If anything, I hold The Show in such high regard, that I have really high standards for it. Have you ever been let down by something/someone you love? It's not unreasonable.

I was let down by RB2 and I loved RB1 more than anything else, but that didn't stop the Inquisition from telling me I was trolling.

Nevertheless, I don't consider any of the bugs unacceptable. It's not like it made it unplayable or anything, like in the case of MLB 2K9, they were just minor bugs. I'm sorry that you don't feel the same way, but I really disagree with your statements of "Not worth $60" and "
Considering that several aspects of the game were just made playable today" or w/e. For one, nothing wasn't unplayable, it was just the purists and elitists that are analytical of every baseball stat and replication that couldn't put it past them and consider it unplayable.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']I was let down by RB2 and I loved RB1 more than anything else, but that didn't stop the Inquisition from telling me I was trolling.

Nevertheless, I don't consider any of the bugs unacceptable. It's not like it made it unplayable or anything, like in the case of MLB 2K9, they were just minor bugs. I'm sorry that you don't feel the same way, but I really disagree with your statements of "Not worth $60" and "
Considering that several aspects of the game were just made playable today" or w/e. For one, nothing wasn't unplayable, it was just the purists and elitists that are analytical of every baseball stat and replication that couldn't put it past them and consider it unplayable.[/quote]

Was I part of that Inquisition? Did I ever say you were trolling? If I remember correctly, I discussed our differing opinions calmly with you, and didn't resort to name calling. But if you're just going to lump me in with everybody else...then maybe they had a point.

There is no defense for a SIM baseball game not having accurate stats. I can acknowledge that not all people are going to value it the same way, but the bottom line is, people purchased an unrealistic sim game. I still enjoy the hell out of the actual gameplay. But the stats do matter to me. And the fact that much of the community is spending more time trying to figure out how to get the game to work properly, as opposed to actually playing the game, bothers me. I could care less about 2K9. As far as I'm concerned, The Show has no competition. But Madden doesn't have any competition either, and people still want it to play right.

I'm also not mad that I bought this game. Baseball is my favorite sport. But I go back to the whole purpose of buying a game at launch and paying $60. Because of all these glitches and having to wait on things being fixed (or even for "how to's" so you don't get caught in a glitch), I don't feel that I've gotten the enjoyment out of these 2 months that I normally would have. I'm not saying there's no chance I will buy The Show 2010 at launch. But I do feel a little snakebitten, and will examine the issue far more closely next year than I did this year...when I pretty much knew I'd be pre-ordering the game back in December. All Sony has lost is my blind allegiance. Is that really that terrible?

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']I wasn't lumping you in, I was just busting your balls :p.[/quote]

Whatever you say. Trust me man, I love the MLB The Show series. I'm just the overly critical parent seeing his kid get a C+ when he knows they have A potential. It just comes off as a half-hearted effort.

bread's done
Back