MLB 10: The Show - March 2, 2010 - Full Online Season Leagues and Online Priority!

I was reading the official MLB 10 forums and apparently there is an online glitch where the game freezes up when someone tries an intentional walk.

I haven't had it happen to me yet, hopefully they have it patched soon.

Anyone notice some of the positions are messed up with the first official roster update? Hopefully this will be fixed tomorrow. The ones I noticed were:

Yankees- Granderson at SS and Jeter in CF
Twins- Thome in RF, Morneau at DH, Cuddyear at 1B

Just played my first game today. The Twins new stadium is pretty bad ass. It kinda looks like Coors Field though.

Anyway, haven't noticed, but is that weird glitch in the game, where you are winning and then the CPU makes its comeback? Maybe its not a glitch, but there was something...off about that in 09. You'd be winning by like 6 runs, and then all of a sudden the CPU cranks it up.

grrrrrrr....i have started 5 games online today and I have not been able to finish any of them. 3 of them froze, 1 got a random disconnect, and then one guy quit on me.

[quote name='Rafael122']Just played my first game today. The Twins new stadium is pretty bad ass. It kinda looks like Coors Field though.

Anyway, haven't noticed, but is that weird glitch in the game, where you are winning and then the CPU makes its comeback? Maybe its not a glitch, but there was something...off about that in 09. You'd be winning by like 6 runs, and then all of a sudden the CPU cranks it up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, 09 did that relentlessly. I've yet to see it this year though. When you get beaten this year, it actually feels like you made a mistake...instead of the CPU being able to reach 4 inches off the plate and hit that game-winning 3 run homer.

[quote name='yukine']I was reading the official MLB 10 forums and apparently there is an online glitch where the game freezes up when someone tries an intentional walk.

I haven't had it happen to me yet, hopefully they have it patched soon.[/QUOTE]

Yup, just happened to me right now. I was up 5-0 too. :cry:

[quote name='Droogs']grrrrrrr....i have started 5 games online today and I have not been able to finish any of them. 3 of them froze, 1 got a random disconnect, and then one guy quit on me.[/QUOTE]

Online has its problems. I've had 2 games I won not count towards my stats and 1 game I was losing get disconnected and I didn't get the loss. And if you look under recent games in your gamer card, you might see a bunch of 0-0 games.

According to the MLB 10 forums, they're working on it.

Started up my franchise with the Indians and the first thing I did was trade Russell Branyan to Seattle for Cliff Lee to erase two mistakes at once, which I wasn't expecting them to be eager to accept. Also got a couple of relievers with him, so that made it even more of a steal.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, 09 did that relentlessly. I've yet to see it this year though. When you get beaten this year, it actually feels like you made a mistake...instead of the CPU being able to reach 4 inches off the plate and hit that game-winning 3 run homer.[/QUOTE]

man I had one game in my season against the yankees and they were relentless i was down by 24 in the fourth inning. I restarted and they scored 11 runs in the first inning on rookie. After that I simmed and oddly got a win. Besides that game it seem really realistic and I only get beat if I deserve to be beat

Yeah, games are not counting again. They had this problem last year. Awesome that my first two online games I played, I lost, and of course those counted. Then I played two more tonight...won both, and neither counted. I want my wins dammit!

Actually, my second game was against Droogs. He was the Braves. I was the Rangers. Lowe and Feldman went toe to toe early on, matching zeros through the first several innings. Then I finally broke through in the 5th, thanks to a few very fortunate hits that just found holes. Ended up plating 4 runs and was able to keep the Braves hitters off balance the rest of the game.

Speaking of off balance, I saved this replay of a pitch Eric O'Flaherty delivered to Josh Hamilton, which Hamilton promptly delivered right back to O'Flaherty. It amazes me how good the collision detection is this year. The ball moves so realistically!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jQotQWGm9Y

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Started up my franchise with the Indians and the first thing I did was trade Russell Branyan to Seattle for Cliff Lee to erase two mistakes at once, which I wasn't expecting them to be eager to accept. Also got a couple of relievers with him, so that made it even more of a steal.[/QUOTE]

You know the trade logic is broken right? lol. That's a known glitch they're working on.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Don't really care. Just got the player I wanted and fixed all that was wrong with the world.[/QUOTE]

haha, whatever makes you happy. As long as you know you raped the CPU.

OMG im terrible at this game played my first full offline game on default settings got raped 25-0, with 10 Ks. I really need to improve before the league starts, but RTTS is so fun.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']haha, whatever makes you happy. As long as you know you raped the CPU.[/QUOTE]
Branyan's raping Cleveland, so I just righted two wrongs. ;)

Talk about raping the CPU, I gave up Joba Chamberlain for Verlander & Miguel Cabrera....Not to mention Smoltz for King Felix...Trade logic is fine by me lol

Thanks to all those who provided advice, playing with the sliders helped a ton. I Now see why everyone says this game feels so true to life, its not like an arcade baseball game where you win 27-1, im getting realistic scores like 4-2, 3-1, etc...feels like a real baseball game as your playing it. Already 3-1 with my phillies franchise (Blanton got shelled by the Nationals??)...thanks again maybe one day ill venture online.

Finally got to try out RTTS last night and I'm a big fan. I just hate how the computer is a complete bitch when it comes to pitching and might give you a decent pitch maybe 1 out of 10 times. Friggin sucks striking out lol

Yeah, starting out RTTS as a position player sucks. The pitchers in the minors have an unrealistic arsenal of pitches. It's common to see someone with a 64 mph knuckler and a 95 mph fastball. Minor problem that's been around since RTTS started.

The way they pick corners in this game is a bit retarded. The announcer says its the pitchers 100th pitch of the game, and he's picking corners like a friggin champ.

the only hit I got out of 10 at bats was from me guessing the pitch and picking what zone it was going to be in. Crappy thing was I got thrown out accidentally "trying" to steal due to my inexperience at base running (go figure)

i was pissed I got pulled from SS only to go to first base, and I only ever made 1 throwing error. I turned 3 double plays by the 5th game or so and even bare handed one and threw to first after touching the bag at second.

Was playing a game last night with the Rays at Tropicana Field and it froze during the 7th inning when I tried to look at the batter/pitcher analysis screen. Looked it up at Operation Sports and Gamefaqs and apparently a lot of people are having the same problems too. Looks like if your starting a Rays' franchise, you gotta either sim the game or play til the 6th inning and sim the rest if you want to move forward in the schedule. They better patch this soon.

My RTTS pitcher finally got a chance to start a game after playing about 1/2 a month as a reliever. I ended up striking out 7 and giving up 3 hits and one run in 8 innings. It felt really good to do that again. Hopefully my manager will keep me in the starting rotation.

Man, this game is demoralizing. After deciding that I improved a little, I upped the settings to Hall of Fame. I picked Peavy and the White Sox and matched up against Lester and the Sox. After a miracle run scoring triple in the first (Pierre went to get the ball but it just rolled past him - wtf? hax), I tied it up in the 6th and later took the lead with another run in the 7th. As you would imagine, it was a pitcher's dual for most of the game.

Then came the 9th.

The Red Sox had Ortiz, Drew, and Mike Cameron. I decided to use Thornton on the first two lefties. Ortiz reached first after a slow ass grounder somehow got up on Konerko, then I got Drew out on a pop up. After that, I put in Jenks to close the game. The first pitch I throw Cam Boogie absolutely kills my slider to magically put them up 3-2. Jesus Christ. This guy was 0-3 at that point and couldn't make contact all game. Then, of course, I get the next two guys out easily. In the bottom of the 9th, I get one quick out then get the next guy to reach on a single. Then I was teased when Andruw Jones crushed a ball that Jacoby caught right at the wall. I lost the game when the ump said I went around on a check swing. :wall:

Yeah, the fact that you're even able to keep it close in a game on Hall of Famer is a testament to the game actually being good this year. Last year, the CPU did that shit on Veteran, lol. You wanna talk about demoralizing.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, games are not counting again. They had this problem last year. Awesome that my first two online games I played, I lost, and of course those counted. Then I played two more tonight...won both, and neither counted. I want my wins dammit![/QUOTE]
Yeah, it sucks. I have won two games and lost a game but my record is still stuck at 2-1. :hot:

Ya know, I still hate that people can quit in the first inning and it doesn't count against them...not for a loss, and apprently not even for the new "rep" system they added. I understand if the game is lagging, and it's not worth sitting through, but there HAS to be some way to monitor people who do it all the time. Like maybe every third time you quit in the 1st inning, you get a loss or something. I just ran into a guy with a 42-17 record, and I scored 3 runs on him in the 1st, and he just quits. Now I understand why he has that record. What a bunch of crap.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Ya know, I still hate that people can quit in the first inning and it doesn't count against them...not for a loss, and apprently not even for the new "rep" system they added. I understand if the game is lagging, and it's not worth sitting through, but there HAS to be some way to monitor people who do it all the time. Like maybe every third time you quit in the 1st inning, you get a loss or something. I just ran into a guy with a 42-17 record, and I scored 3 runs on him in the 1st, and he just quits. Now I understand why he has that record. What a bunch of crap.[/QUOTE]

They should have quits being in the record. Like 42 wins, 17 losses and 30 quits. You see a person with a bunch of quits and you know to stay away.

Gamestop review finally came out yesterday a full week after release. They gave the game an 8.0. I didn't bother to read the review because the reviewer complained that a 40 minute single player game is "too long" due to "super human comp". A casual video gamer does not buy sports games. The reviewer has to realize that and realize that people who play baseball games watch baseball on tv. If I can invest 3 hours to watching the Yankees every night, I can find time to play 40 minutes of a game. Plus the game is fun, realistic and never the same game twice. How long does someone expect a 9 inning game without a time clock to last? 15 minutes?

He could also have used the fast play feature to play quicker games if he really cares about time. Most games in football, basketball, or hockey games can take that long if you have a good, realistic length for quarters/periods.

[quote name='wildcpac']Gamestop review finally came out yesterday a full week after release. They gave the game an 8.0. I didn't bother to read the review because the reviewer complained that a 40 minute single player game is "too long" due to "super human comp". A casual video gamer does not buy sports games. The reviewer has to realize that and realize that people who play baseball games watch baseball on tv. If I can invest 3 hours to watching the Yankees every night, I can find time to play 40 minutes of a game. Plus the game is fun, realistic and never the same game twice. How long does someone expect a 9 inning game without a time clock to last? 15 minutes?[/QUOTE]

What I really don't like about this is that last year's game got a 9.0. To the uninformed, this would imply that the game has gotten worse (and is only marginally better than 2K10...which they gave a 7.5). But you'd have to be a fucking retard to prefer last year's game to this one. And amazingly, it's the same guy who reviewed it last year.

His negatives for the game:
*Solo games last too long, due to supernaturally skilled computer batters
*Some issues with pitching mechanics and random results
*Fair number of bugs, mainly with the online multiplayer.
Where were those criticisms last year? Because all those things were there...and they were much worse. This kills Gamespot's credibility for me. If it was a different reviewer, I could see, but the same guy? I can't imagine anybody being good at last year's game, but sucking this year. Hitting is much improved. And I've even seen CPU players chase pitches this year, which I couldn't get them to do in 09, even on an 0-2 count. Don't see how this review could be at all logical.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']This kills Gamespot's credibility for me.[/QUOTE]
So they actually still had credibility to you before this? It's been years since I've even thought about Gamespot when looking for game reviews/info.

[quote name='SirMikael']So they actually still had credibility to you before this? It's been years since I've even thought about Gamespot when looking for game reviews/info.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't always agree with them, but I like their site better than IGN or any of the others. Better design, easier to navigate, etc.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/11/mlb-10-the-show-ps3-demo-available-today/

The demo will be out today. I'm not sure why they waited so long to put it out on the store.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's on par with what they announced a week or two ago. They still could have done a better job making sure the demo was submitted early enough to be released before the game came out...but at least the game itself is solid.

I'm surprised seeing all the criticism for games disconnecting online. I've played 11 online games, and haven't had a single disconnect (or freeze...knock on wood). Has anyone else noticed that it doesn't seem like we can listen to our friends games like we could last year though?

I thought about this the other day, but didn't have anyone on my buddy list to try it with. But I saw m_d_amore in a game last night, and I clicked on his name, but it didn't give me the option to listen to it. I kinda liked that feature. It was a good way to see how far along your friends are in a game, so you know whether to wait for them or just start a random game.

I finally started messing around with sliders today, hitting is just a touch too difficult for my at the current settings on veteran. I don't use guess pitch at all, I feel it takes away the realism from the game. Having it off is nice but it also makes the batting more difficult hence the slider adjusting. I turned the pitching ball speed down one notch, I just can't react fast enough to fastballs in the mid to upper 90's. I also increased my contact when batting a little bit, I can't use the left stick when I bat worth a shit so I had to adjust this to help compensate.

Overall I love the game so far, the best version yet imo. I have three different RTTS's going (SP, C, LF) and am enjoying all three. I am waiting to start a franchise until the rosters are updated (correctly) and the different custom packs are released (sound and roster packs). BTW Nate I know you are working on the sound pack this year again, do you have any idea when you might get that done?

Do you mean they should've submitted the demo before it was done? I don't think they were just sitting on their asses with the completed demo as the release date got closer.

[quote name='cgarb84']BTW Nate I know you are working on the sound pack this year again, do you have any idea when you might get that done?[/QUOTE]

Hard to say...probably 1-2 weeks. I'm currently sitting on it waiting to see if anybody comes forward with any more updates for player walk up music. People are kicking around a ton of info on OS, and I'm just trying to gather the best of it, and put it to use. What I have is ready to be grouped into 3's though, so once I decide to start that step, it should go fairly quickly.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Do you mean they should've submitted the demo before it was done? I don't think they were just sitting on their asses with the completed demo as the release date got closer.[/QUOTE]

No, SCEA and San Diego Studios claimed it was done and had been for awhile. They threw Sony's content approval guys under the bus and said that they were the ones holding it up. It doesn't matter who's fault it was. I'm just saying, hopefully they do a better job planning accordingly next year.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']No, SCEA and San Diego Studios claimed it was done and had been for awhile. They threw Sony's content approval guys under the bus and said that they were the ones holding it up. It doesn't matter who's fault it was. I'm just saying, hopefully they do a better job planning accordingly next year.[/QUOTE]
So now you're saying the demo wasn't finished until this week?

Once the demo's done, submitted, and approved, it's the guys that that run the PS Store that decides when to release it. They had been waiting since at least February 19 for word on that and were just being transparent about where they were in that process. They'd have no reason to even defend themselves if people like you weren't raging and bashing them relentlessly about the demo's delay. This isn't a one time thing with the approval process, so it's not throwing them under the bus.

The official rosters are still messed up after this week's update. The same problems with the Yankees and Twins I mentioned before, plus add in the Indians (CF and SS players switched positions.) Still looking to see if any others are messed up.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, I don't always agree with them, but I like their site better than IGN or any of the others. Better design, easier to navigate, etc.[/QUOTE]

Go to Gametrailers. That's just as easy to navigate and the video reviews are VERY thorough. Each is at least a little over 5 min, some of the bigger games get 8 min reviews.

Unfortunately their MLB 10 review isn't up yet.

[quote name='MSUHitman']The official rosters are still messed up after this week's update. The same problems with the Yankees and Twins I mentioned before, plus add in the Indians (CF and SS players switched positions.) Still looking to see if any others are messed up.[/QUOTE]

You can fix it yourself.

[quote name='wildcpac']You can fix it yourself.[/QUOTE]

True, but that's a fanboy defense. Don't get me wrong, I'm freaking loving this game, but they need to get ontop of that and fix it. Kolbe said it could be fixed with a roster update. I'll at least give him the benefit of the doubt and assume they didn't have enough time to get it into this past Monday's update (since it was the first official one). But it needs to be fixed this Monday.

bread's done
Back