MLB.TV Returns For 2012 Season - $124.99/YR Premium or $109.99/YR Regular

not sure how easy it is to cancel mlb.tv but come talk to me in about a month cause i will be canceling since i wont be around for the month of june

MLB.tv is having a free weekend on the PS3 this weekend. So if people are still curious to how it works out and plays, now is a good chance to give it a whirl.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've got a cold coming on, so it'll be nice to just lay in bed and watch some free baseball all weekend.

Just got a month of this for $5. It's awesome. Glad I'm finally getting a chance to watch strausburg pitch. And to watch a Rangers game, aside from the one I went to opening week.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Just got a month of this for $5. It's awesome. Glad I'm finally getting a chance to watch strausburg pitch. And to watch a Rangers game, aside from the one I went to opening week.[/QUOTE]
Your boy got spanked in extra innings though. Thank your third baseman for airmailing that throw for me. ;)

I guess my area completely black-outs all games (I thought they just block local coverage?) until 90 minutes after they end. Pretty much worthless service for me. :\

The one game that I was able to watch was choppy for about half a minute until the buffer caught up, but then streamed seamlessly. Anytime I'd FF it would repeat the same problem, though. Video quality is not up to HD standards, as it's like taking 1080p and putting it on youtube in 480p with lots of artifacts. Overall, I would not pay $120 a year for this even if I could get national coverage.

They black out pretty much all day games on Saturday everywhere because of the contract they have with Fox, even if the game isn't local to you or being shown on your local Fox channel. I remember there were a lot of complaints about that during that epic Mets 19 innings game since many people wanted to watch that but couldn't since it started as a day game and was blacked out.

I watched the Giants game last night and it worked really well for me. Very little stuttering and was HD. Last year when I was subscribing, the quality wasn't too good for probably around a 1/3 of the games I watch. It would stutter a lot and then go out of HD mode, very annoying, seems they still don't have the bandwidth to handle all these HD streams. I do like the interface so I may consider getting it in August/September if the Giants are still in the playoff race.

I watched a bunch of games last night and had no issues. Took roughly 5-10 seconds to load the feed, and once it came up, it was full HD from beginning to end. No stuttering, no loss in quality at any time, etc... I was very impressed.

Impressive indeed. Watched some Stratsburg and some Tigers as well. Could not find a way to record though. Is that b/c its free this weekend?

Ah that explains the blackout. fucking Fox.

Maybe it's because I was watching a pre-recorded game that the feed wasn't so good. The feed isn't unbearable to watch, but when compared to direct feed from Fox today -- the sound and video quality just don't compare.

Yep, that was it. The recording I saw must have just been a fluke; live feed is very nice. Only thing I can't understand is why they don't delete the commercial breaks for replays. Seems incredibly stupid you'd have to skip through them just like a DVR when they could easily edit it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
This came at a bad time. MLB Extra Innings is having a free week of service right now. I'd rather watch the games on my satellite dish than from my PS3 online.

[quote name='lustyhitter']This came at a bad time. MLB Extra Innings is having a free week of service right now. I'd rather watch the games on my satellite dish than from my PS3 online.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, come to think of it, I'd hate to run my PS3 for streaming video over dedicated hardware such as a DVR. I really need to pick up a dedicated BD player soon, too.

[quote name='SEH']I watched a bunch of games last night and had no issues. Took roughly 5-10 seconds to load the feed, and once it came up, it was full HD from beginning to end. No stuttering, no loss in quality at any time, etc... I was very impressed.[/QUOTE]

The service is fantastic. I won't be buying it (I get my Yankees games locally) but if I was out of market it would be a must buy.

I subscribed last week and could not be happier with it. I'm a braves fan and have hated it ever since they stopped broadcasting on TBS nationwide. The only games i've wanted to watch that were blacked out were Reds games and I assumed because they're shown on a local channel here.

It's not worth it for me to get the year sub since almost half the season is almost over. I will definitely be doing it next year.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...011-mlb-tv-with-new-features-for-opening-day/

The MLB.TV app is being updated with some new features:
Some of the new 2011 upgrades include:
  • Highest Quality HD Streaming – Speed detection technology gives users ultra-HQ video access (NexDef 4.5 mbps) depending on available bandwidth.
  • Enhanced Audio – In-game alternate audio selection allows users to overlay the home or away team’s broadcasters over the live video or use the “Park” option to include the ballpark’s natural sounds.
  • Quick-Access Stats – View player cards with full career stats, league leaders, and in-game stats including AB, R, H, RBI, K, BB, SO, LOB, AVG, HR, SB.
  • Event Navigation – Select in-game event types, such as home runs, hits or stolen bases, to show on a progression timeline and jump directly to the at bat where they happened.
  • Improved User Interface – User-friendly design makes it even easier to browse.
Jeff Rubenstein shows off some of the new interface improvements and mentions something not in the post above, which is that you can also track individual players to see how they're doing throughout the season. The updated app will be in the store tonight or you can just launch it to patch the app if you've already downloaded it.

Hey frisky do you know where the trial code is located? I didn't see any voucher or anything in the case. I thought it was the digits on the mlb sticker on the front but that doesn't seem to be working.

edit: I noticed people saying it's either emailed to you or on the receipt depending on where you bought it from. I got mine from newegg and I don't think it was on anything I received.

so I'm chatting with newegg and they're basically saying if it wasn't advertised on their site they don't have it and won't honor it. I thought this was a pre-order bonus that all retailers were supposed to provide, ah well.

Guess I won't be pre-ordering games from newegg anymore, at least those that are supposed to come with some sort of universal bonus (I don't think sony specified specific retailers for this). Plus the guy I'm chatting with is pretty rude.

Just got an email response for the mlb.tv/At Bat support team. The only Android phones supported for live streaming are the Evo, the Incredible, and the Droid X. I am not pleased.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...ns-up-the-heat/comment-page-1/#comment-517433

It was just for GameStop from what I can tell. If it wasn't mentioned on Newegg's page, then they weren't going to have it.[/QUOTE]

I've seen comments from people who ordered from Best Buy, and Amazon and they got the code.

That comment was simply pointing out the first retailer that had the promotion up. If you saw the pre-order promo page, it didn't mention any specific retailers. It was a general bonus for pre-ordering. I assumed this meant Sony would put the codes in with early copies of the game, but I guess not.

If you look at this announcement blog post, it doesn't say it's retailer exclusive: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...-all-star-joe-mauer-returns-as-cover-athlete/

And last but not least, two items that I think you’ll be excited about…first, fans who reserve and purchase their copy of MLB 11 The Show for PS3 will receive 30 days of MLB.TV FREE, which gives you live access to every regular-season game in HD with full DVR-controls (blackout
and other restrictions apply, visit MLB.com for more details).

Newegg rarely mentions pre-order bonuses so it's no surprise they didn't mention it here, but often they do come with the games. I also had no way to know it wouldn't be a pack-in or dependent on the retailer to provide them based on the quotes above. And in terms of service, if this was Amazon they would have more than likely credited me for my troubles if they couldn't provide me with a code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon didn't advertise it up till only about a few days before the release. I doubt they would credit you it if they didn't advertise it themselves. But then again it's Amazon so who knows. The new audio options sounds interesting. I wonder if you can do the radio broadcast, as I prefer that over the TV side. Too bad my PS3 just died too, back to the computer it'll be for me now.

Does anyone know how the weekend blackouts work (possibly someone who used it last year)? The small print from the MLB.com page reads as follows:
Regular Season Weekend U.S. National Live Blackout: Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, live games occurring each Saturday with a scheduled start time after 1:10 PM ET or before 7:05 PM ET and each Sunday with a scheduled start time after 5:00 PM ET, will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands). In addition, in the event of extraordinary circumstances that produce a programming conflict, the above blackout windows may be subject to change. If you are an MLB.TV Premium subscriber outside of the United States, each of these games will be available as an archived game as soon as possible after the conclusion of the applicable game. If you are an MLB.TV Premium Subscriber within the United States or an MLB.TV subscriber in any territory, each of these games will be available as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the applicable game. Archived games are not available through MLB.com At Bat.
In a nutshell I understand it as any game with a start time between 1:10 and 7:05 on Saturdays is blacked out and any game on Sunday starting after 5. Is this for any game with those start times or for nationally televised games with those start times?

I looked at my schedule and off the top I have 14 (and 3 TBDs) that are going to be blacked out if start times are the only factor looked at. The first of which being this Saturday dangit.

It's for all games. For Sunday night it'll only be one game, the ESPN game of the week. Also for Saturday it's all the day games, which are typically nationally/regionally broadcast on Fox. Kind of sucks too since the Fox game I would want to watch is the Giants but they'll give me a random nationally broadcast game here in AK, which means something Yankees or Red Sox.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it wasn't for local blackouts, I'd be all over this. My Cubs are one of the few reasons I still have cable.

Thongsy, thanks for your insight. I'll probably get it this year. The price is steep, but I'll win the argument with comparing the price of going to just 2 games in person. Between gas and hotel I have already saved money if I watch it online and not go to ONE game in person.

Josh- It has to be rough being in a FAR burb and being shackled with the blackout possibility of normal games. There can't be that many blackouts for the Cubbies though right?

Just a word of warning; some people (myself included) are experiencing connection problems for mlb.tv on their PS3s.

Some live games cannot play at all & some completed games aren't viewable. A workaround seems to be deleting & reinstalling the mlb app on the PS3. But it's a bit bothersome & I don't know whether the app has a 5 d/l limit?

MLB.tv says they're "working on it".

Josh it's worse for people in southern Illinois. They blackout the Cubs, White Sox, & Cardinals. You can watch the game 90 minutes after the game ends though.

I've had no issues with the app this year & the improvements are AWESOME.

[quote name='Josh5890']I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it wasn't for local blackouts, I'd be all over this. My Cubs are one of the few reasons I still have cable.[/QUOTE]

This is why the blackouts rules are there... to make sure you go to the games or pay for cable TV (which is where the individual teams get their money).

I hate the blackout rules also, and was trying to figure out if there was a way to mask the IP address to get around it... Anyone knowledgeable know if this is possible?

[quote name='soonersfan60']This is why the blackouts rules are there... to make sure you go to the games or pay for cable TV (which is where the individual teams get their money).

I hate the blackout rules also, and was trying to figure out if there was a way to mask the IP address to get around it... Anyone knowledgeable know if this is possible?[/QUOTE]

I don't see why they can't make a "local" option for a few bucks more per month. Then that extra money could be paid towards the local networks, and/or teams. Like in NYC, in order to watch the Yankees I'd have to get the YES network, but to do that I have to have Family cable, which I don't need and would cost about $45 more per month.

I'd even be willing to pay twice the premium subscription plan (i.e. $240) to get local games. The YES network would essentially get part of the $120 cut, rather than now where they get zero from me. It's pretty much a win-win situation here.

Oh, I agree; I just don't expect them to change this anytime soon. I've come up with a few ways to do it also that I think could be palatable to all parties, but alas we're lucky they're being as progressive as they are entering the whole online era. Really, they're head and shoulders above the other pro leagues... but they you look at the geographic regions for "home team" blackouts and have to wonder what they're thinking sometimes.

Is this service affected by the PSN downtime? I haven't bit yet, I'll probably just buy a couple months when I don't have any trips to stadiums planned.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...-for-opening-day-2012-on-playstation-network/

MLB.TV returns for this season and it doesn't seem like they've made any major improvements:
Seems like we were just watching David Freese and the St. Louis Cardinals make a dramatic comeback to beat the Texas Rangers in 7 games to win the 2011 World Series. And now, here we are, standing in the on-deck circle of the 2012 season waiting to see who will step up and lead their teams into the playoffs and become this year’s World Series hero.

And, just in time for the opening series games between the Athletics and Mariners in Tokyo, all the Major League Baseball action can once again be watched with the new 2012 MLB.TV application for the PS3, now available on PSN.

Just like last season, the MLB.TV app gives you access to high-quality HD, live and archived games, home and away broadcasts, as well as an array of interactive features designed to take advantage of the PS3 system’s technical prowess. If you’re a MLB.TV Premium subscriber, you can access all available Spring Training games.

You can view a walk through of the application highlights here and read more about what you’ll see with this year’s MLB.TV service below:

High Quality HD Streaming – Speed detection technology gives users HD video access depending on available bandwidth.
Enhanced Audio – In-game alternate audio selection allows users to overlay the home or away team’s broadcasters over the live video or use the “Park” option to include the ballpark’s natural sounds.
Home and Away Feeds – Choose to watch either the home or away broadcast feed.
Live Broadcast DVR Functionality – Use the live video overlay to pause and rewind live games or fast-forward to return to live game action.
Quick-Access Stats – View player cards with full career stats, league leaders, and in-game stats.
Event Navigation – Select in-game event types, such as home runs, hits or stolen bases, to show on a progression timeline and jump directly to the at bat where they happened.
Season Archive – Watch games and relive great moments from earlier in the season.
Scrollable Linescore – Go directly to any half-inning to watch only that portion of the game.
MLB Scoreboard – Scrollable league-wide scoreboard for each day’s games in three modes: Pre-game with scheduled starting pitchers; Live with up-to-the-moment game status; and Post-game with final pitching decisions and archived feed selection.
Favorite Team Selection – Pick a favorite team or teams to be featured first on the daily scoreboard.
Calendar Schedule – Scroll through the entire 2012 Major League Baseball schedule in calendar format or the user-designated favorite team’s schedule.

You can download the application now from the “Media & Apps” category on PlayStation Store, and launch it from the TV/Video Services icon of the XMB. For the 2012 MLB season, MLB.TV Premium is available for a one-time fee of $124.99, and can be used on the PS3 system. New subscribers can go to ps3.com/mlbtv to sign up.

Play Ball!

I wish they'd do a 24-hr free trial. I'd like to see how the games look through my shoddy internet before I invest a car payment into MLB.tv -- games come across on ESPN via Xbox in SD, but my Netflix and YouTube is HD at times. Hmm.

i have a couple Q?

1. what's the diffents between Regular and Premium
2. is it in 3D
3.can u pay it in payments
4. hows the picture and the sounds

[quote name='HydroX']I wish they'd do a 24-hr free trial. I'd like to see how the games look through my shoddy internet before I invest a car payment into MLB.tv -- games come across on ESPN via Xbox in SD, but my Netflix and YouTube is HD at times. Hmm.[/QUOTE]

I + 1,2,3 this :)

[quote name='HydroX']I wish they'd do a 24-hr free trial. I'd like to see how the games look through my shoddy internet before I invest a car payment into MLB.tv -- games come across on ESPN via Xbox in SD, but my Netflix and YouTube is HD at times. Hmm.[/QUOTE]

For the past week or so, they've been offering one free "preview game" a day that i've been watching on the ps3.

[quote name='Droogs']For the past week or so, they've been offering one free "preview game" a day that i've been watching on the ps3.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check that out if it's still available.

bread's done
Back