MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='emg28']Nice KO by Gomi. It's the first time that Griffin has been KO'd[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Dude got KTFO'd so hard and was being a little bitch about it afterward. What a good sport.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Bones Jones is the future.[/QUOTE]

he needs to fight a top tier guy. i want to see him get pressured. i still dont think hes fought anybody who poses a legitimate threat to him. when i see his opponents i see guys who seem afraid or are just trying not to lose.

i hate elbows. theyre one of the big reasons wrestlers are so successful, they just have so many tools to win. theres no need to even create space to throw, giving the guy on bottom a window to fight offensively. its really just get on top and thats that.

also, man that was fucking awesome seeing that gomi hook land. i like tyson too, but gomi deserved to get a big win like that.

did anyone else have an issue with the munoz split? i really dislike the way takedowns are scored. when a guy fends off 4 takedowns and gives up one, he shouldnt lose the round all other things equal.
but thats been said a thousand times.

[quote name='paz9x']he needs to fight a top tier guy. i want to see him get pressured. i still dont think hes fought anybody who poses a legitimate threat to him. when i see his opponents i see guys who seem afraid or are just trying not to lose.

i hate elbows. theyre one of the big reasons wrestlers are so successful, they just have so many tools to win. theres no need to even create space to throw, giving the guy on bottom a window to fight offensively. its really just get on top and thats that.

also, man that was fucking awesome seeing that gomi hook land. i like tyson too, but gomi deserved to get a big win like that.

did anyone else have an issue with the munoz split? i really dislike the way takedowns are scored. when a guy fends off 4 takedowns and gives up one, he shouldnt lose the round all other things equal.
but thats been said a thousand times.[/QUOTE]

We were talking about that on the forum I posted the link to (last page). Munoz should not have won on one scorecard, there is no way he won more then one round, and I thought it was a Okami shutout.

Anyway, Jones does need to step up but I like that they are taking him slow. I don't want to see another prospect pushed too quickly and for the most part ruined. I think Rich Franklin, Forrest Griffin, maybe the Machida/Rampage loser at best or Hamill/Ortiz winner (both of which are a bit far off, so maybe another lower level guy until Machida/Rampage/Hamill/Ortiz are done fighting and ready for another) are very good options.

Thiago Silva makes perfect sense in my opinion. He's not so widely known, but his only 2 losses have come to Machida and Evans, who are both top ranked and former titleholders. Silva's out of his fight for 117 and could be ready to go by the time Jones is ready to fight again.

Didn't like the ad breaks every three minutes, but the show delivered three great fights. The John Howard fight was boring, but was at least memorable due to his fucked up face.

Screens -

TTAAAAAKAAANOORRRIIII GOOMMIIII!

Quotes -

(regarding the swollen face of John Howard)Rogan - That’s not a mouse anymore, that’s a rat.
Rogan - His face is now very ET-like.
Rogan - I don’t think he speaks English, we need to get a translator. Oliveira - HELLO, THANK YOU SAN DIEGO. THANK UFC! NO SPEAK ENGLISH!
Rogan - How it training going?
Sonnen - Everything’s on track. We’re doing just fine. I’ve been waiting for this fight all my life.
Rogan - Do you write your trash talk?
Sonnen - Anderson, you’ve ducked me for four years, and I strongly encourage you to make it four years and one week. I’m gonna beat you, take your title, AND DANA WHITE WILL FIRE YOU.
Sonnen - I’m gonna bring my skills, he’s gonna bring his skills, and the better man is gonna win.
Rogan - How much did it upset you to watch Anderson’s last fight?
Sonnen - It’s not gonna be any different - he’s not in shape to get in a fist fight with me. You’re not gonna see anything different except I’m faster and he’s gonna be in a fight for the first time in his life!
Okami - IT’S GOING TO BE A CRUSHING BATTLE!
Jones - YOU STAY CLASSY, SAN DIEGO!

Pretty good night of fights glad to see Gomi get his first victory in the octogon.
Jones keeps on truckin but still has a few fights before a title shot.

Sonnen keeps talking so much smack it will be interesting to see what happens Saturday night.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Sonnen keeps talking so much smack it will be interesting to see what happens Saturday night.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, really looking forward to that fight. I love Anderson, but he needs to finish fights instead of fucking around non-stop after the first round. It's funny at first, then you realize he isn't going to stop and it just becomes boring/annoying. I think Sonnen needs to win to really shake that division up.

I'm also pumped for Nelson/Dos Santos.

[quote name='SEH']Yeah, really looking forward to that fight. I love Anderson, but he needs to finish fights instead of fucking around non-stop after the first round. It's funny at first, then you realize he isn't going to stop and it just becomes boring/annoying. I think Sonnen needs to win to really shake that division up.

I'm also pumped for Nelson/Dos Santos.[/QUOTE]

I really think anderson straight up doesnt care. I think something about the ufc and/or its fans has done something to him, I think hes just mentally done with it.

Im looking forward to the dos santos fight too. roy is good, i think hes smarter than gonzaga and will actually try to utilize his strenghs against dos santos. could give a good chance to see where his ground game is at. either way ill be shocked if its not an entertaining fight.

[quote name='paz9x']I really think anderson straight up doesnt care. I think something about the ufc and/or its fans has done something to him, I think hes just mentally done with it.

Im looking forward to the dos santos fight too. roy is good, i think hes smarter than gonzaga and will actually try to utilize his strenghs against dos santos. could give a good chance to see where his ground game is at. either way ill be shocked if its not an entertaining fight.[/QUOTE]

He either doesn't care of the competition is boring him. I'm also looking forward to Junior vs Big Country pretty interesting that the winner gets a title shot. However, there is not really any other match-up since you're not going to give them Carwin since he just lost Brock.

Charles Oliveira had easily the most technically pleasing sub so far this year. I thought it was pretty sick how he just ratcheted down into the triangle-armbar combo.

Keep in mind before riding the Oliveira train that he did fight a bum for the most part. Sub masters sub bums all the time, its when they step up in competition that they get a real test.

Anyway, I agree that A. Silva doesn't care about pleasing fans anymore. At least, he didn't before Sonnen. I suspect he will try against Sonnen, but that is technically a bit of a stretch because he hasn't gone for it in his past, like 3 fights.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Keep in mind before riding the Oliveira train that he did fight a bum for the most part. Sub masters sub bums all the time, its when they step up in competition that they get a real test.[/QUOTE]

He started setting that up before hitting the ground. it was nice but his post fight was awesome.

[quote name='paz9x']He started setting that up before hitting the ground. it was nice but his post fight was awesome.[/QUOTE]

Yeah his submission was awesome though, that is not to be questioned.

Maia's out of the UFN 22 card because a replacement "couldn't be found". I think its more likely they didn't look too hard for a replacement and just want to set up Maia/Belcher and nothing else.

Marqardt (sp? I think I'm missing a letter)/Palhares is the main now, moved up from UFC 118.

How does a 35 year old with an 8-4 record and a 30 year old with a 6-4 record get on TUF?

Anyway, I want to see how Sako Chivitchian does. He trains with Gokor, who is no joke. Never seen somebody being associated with Gokor's team?

Man Olivera's sub was technically sound in every capacity.

I was surprised Gomi managed to land such a huge wind up punch on the usually alert Griffin. I still don't see Gomi winning a rematch with Penn unless he really shows some new skills.

Okami is what Japanese fighters need to strive for if they want to stay relevant. Learn from the West, adapt their methods and training, get victories.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Man Olivera's sub was technically sound in every capacity.

I was surprised Gomi managed to land such a huge wind up punch on the usually alert Griffin. I still don't see Gomi winning a rematch with Penn unless he really shows some new skills.

Okami is what Japanese fighters need to strive for if they want to stay relevant. Learn from the West, adapt their methods and training, get victories.[/QUOTE]

Gomi still can't beat KenFlo or BJ Penn or Joe Stevenson and a fight between him and Sotoroposlsuoisdlldsfhlus should be an easy fight for Soto as well.

I agree about Okami. The guy is extremely well rounded, and I think he has better power then his record suggests. His finishing sucks though, and he is still waaay too inactive to be great. Plus, I don't rate his win over Mark Munoz too highly, that guy was always a can.

Nice. Too bad you can't see much but that guy deserved to be knocked the fuck out or worse. He not only hits a girl half his size but he sucker punches from behind? What kind of bullshit is that?

[quote name='Maklershed']Nice. Too bad you can't see much but that guy deserved to be knocked the fuck out or worse. He not only hits a girl half his size but he sucker punches from behind? What kind of bullshit is that?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, worst camera guy ever lol. Fat guy deserved every bit of that ass whooping and then some.

Yeah Munoz is no legend-tier fighter or anything, but I was just pointing out how Okami has freed himself from Japan's notoriously bad training scene and managed to put his game together well.

[quote name='Maklershed']Nice. Too bad you can't see much but that guy deserved to be knocked the fuck out or worse. He not only hits a girl half his size but he sucker punches from behind? What kind of bullshit is that?[/QUOTE]

thats awesome. im not one for street violence but that prick deserved everything he got. he was a LOT bigger than huerta too. probably 220+

It may have been good, solid justice but you watch Roger Huerta is going to get ripped apart for what he did. First of all, he's a former UFC fighter, second, he chased the fat wannabe track star when he ran away, and he stomped him a bit as well. No way he's getting away with beating down a fat guy who tried to run away.

Seems like everyone is cheering him for what he did, and rightfully so. Although I did just read that it might not have been him anyways.

[quote name='Pavel6969']Seems like everyone is cheering him for what he did, and rightfully so. Although I did just read that it might not have been him anyways.[/QUOTE]

thats huerta for sure. that dude didnt look too fat to me, thats besides the point though. its obviously illegal to beat someone down but he wasnt wrong in doing so. not only did that jackass blindside someone from behind, he did it to a woman. i think its very very unlikely huerta will see any real punishment for what he did. you think people are going to think hes wrong when they see the video of that guy hitting the lady like that? no way.

whats sad is huerta was the only one who seemed to have a problem with it.

not a fan of huerta but id buy him a beer for that.

[quote name='paz9x']thats huerta for sure. that dude didnt look too fat to me, thats besides the point though. its obviously illegal to beat someone down but he wasnt wrong in doing so. not only did that jackass blindside someone from behind, he did it to a woman. i think its very very unlikely huerta will see any real punishment for what he did. you think people are going to think hes wrong when they see the video of that guy hitting the lady like that? no way.

whats sad is huerta was the only one who seemed to have a problem with it.

not a fan of huerta but id buy him a beer for that.[/QUOTE]

There is a chance he will not get in real trouble because obviously he was pretty justified in laying a little pain on the chunker, but he won't escape without some kind of punishment, even if its little. Maybe a literal slap on the back, I mean wrist and a $10 fine.:lol:

Anyone catch the 117 press conference from earlier today? Do yourself a favor and check it out on the UFC site. Sonnen is a fucking trip and a half.

[quote name='SEH']Anyone catch the 117 press conference from earlier today? Do yourself a favor and check it out on the UFC site. Sonnen is a fucking trip and a half.[/QUOTE]

Sonnen is a fool for sure, and for once I think A. Silva is affected by Sonnen's talk.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Sonnen is a fool for sure, and for once I think A. Silva is affected by Sonnen's talk.[/QUOTE]

Silva looked like he finally had a fire under his ass during the staredown. I'll believe it when I see it though. I think Sonnen has a legit shot.

[quote name='SEH']Anyone catch the 117 press conference from earlier today? Do yourself a favor and check it out on the UFC site. Sonnen is a fucking trip and a half.[/QUOTE]

Yeah just ended up watching it. Entertaining and funny. I also realized I need to learn me some Portuguese lol :lol:.

Also ended up watching the UFC 117 Countdown show and I'm actually pretty psyched for the entire card. Not sure if it will beat UFC 116 but I can't wait :bouncy:.

The thing is, Silva fans should LOVE Sonnen for at least attempting to get under Anderson's skin. Regardless of what you think of him as a person, he's doing his best to piss Silva off. The outcome of this fight is going to be HUGE no matter what happens. I see three possible scenarios. 1. The shit talking works and Silva gets his ass beat. 2. The shit talking works and Sonnen gets his ass beat. 3. The shit talking does nothing and Silva clowns around like an idiot again and gets fired from the UFC. I at least have to give Sonnen credit for trying to make this a grudge match. Even if Silva doesn't think it is one, at least somebody tried to wake his ass up.

[quote name='SEH']Silva looked like he finally had a fire under his ass during the staredown. I'll believe it when I see it though. I think Sonnen has a legit shot.[/QUOTE]

Sonnen has no shot in this fight. He may get one takedown before either getting subbed while on top or getting KO'd hard standing.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']The thing is, Silva fans should LOVE Sonnen for at least attempting to get under Anderson's skin. Regardless of what you think of him as a person, he's doing his best to piss Silva off. The outcome of this fight is going to be HUGE no matter what happens. I see three possible scenarios. 1. The shit talking works and Silva gets his ass beat. 2. The shit talking works and Sonnen gets his ass beat. 3. The shit talking does nothing and Silva clowns around like an idiot again and gets fired from the UFC. I at least have to give Sonnen credit for trying to make this a grudge match. Even if Silva doesn't think it is one, at least somebody tried to wake his ass up.[/QUOTE]

True. Maybe we'll get to see James Irvin Silva instead of Demian Leites Cote Silva.

Almost forgot, scenario 1 will not happen. If Sonnen's trash worked, he will get knocked out in 3 seconds. If not, he may go 5 seconds.

Chael's been cutting some awesome promos, which he's been getting help from Roddy Piper with. I don't see him beating Anderson though - he might have some boring fights, but he IS also incredibly good.

Did you guys see weigh-ins, Silva was wearing a pink shirt and wearing his hat backwards, I remember a clip where Sonnen was clowning Silva for wearing pink and his hat backwards. Also, I think in the same clip he mentions that when he met Silva he would not look him in the eye, when they were supposed to turn and face the front of the stage Silva kept staring at him. I think Anderson has been watching these clips and I expect him to crush Sonnen.

edit: your right, it was at the press conference.

Last edited by a moderator:
That wasn't at the weigh-ins (those are still like three hours away), that was from the end of yesterdays press conference.

I hope Sonnen lands some hard hits on Silva..........but i still see Silva handling the fight with out much of a challenge.

I cant remember the last time Silva was given a run for his money... all i can think of is him making a joke out of Forrest Griffen. :lol::lol::lol:

Nice undercards as well. Looking forward to seeing the Roy Nelsons match, i still cant take this guy as being a serious heavy weight contender in the UFC, but we shall see!!

Also, the Matt Hughes fight, Clay Guida, Stefen Struve, Thiago Alves...Wow, great UFC event!

If anyone is wondering what happened at the Sonnen, Silva stare down, Sonnen posed as normal while Silva stood straight up, facing the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back