MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Maklershed']Moosin? Never heard of that organization.[/QUOTE]

They've only had one card so far. The undercard was like 7 fights with everyone being bums except Travis Lutter (who got stopped in one round, so I guess he is a bum now) and the main event was Tim Sylvia/Mariuz Pudz, which was another terrible fight.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/07/...n-october-kimbo-vs-pudzianowski-possible-mai/

Talk about a freak show promotion.[/QUOTE]

I may have to take Kimbo Slice. He gasses after one round, but Pudz gasses after 20 seconds so...plus, Kimbo would have beaten Mitrione down if he wouldn't have gassed in the first round. Mitrione didn't win the fight, Kimbo gave it away and lost it.

Kimbo is a garbage fighter who benefited from having a great look and a street tough back ground.The fights he won were thrown with the exception of the Houston Alexander fight because Houston can't fight he just has heavy hands.

More brilliance from James Toney. I guess the fight is at Heavyweight now...

“Everybody want to talk about the weight. It don’t make sense. James Toney is the heavyweight champion of the world in boxing, and heavyweight means any weight right?” said Toney when appearing on MMAWeekly Radio. “So we’re going to have this fight at my weight. I’m the heavyweight. I can come in what I want to come in at.”

Toney feels that if Couture signed his name on the dotted line, then he needs to show up for the fight, and stop worrying about weight classes.

“If they’ve got a problem with it, they shouldn’t have signed to fight,” Toney stated. “If they big and bad, and Dana said he’s going to give me a legend, then put your man in there. Let’s do it.”
My God, I hope Couture takes him down, mounts, and smashes his face in. I'd rather give Kimbo another shot than see this loser fight. At least Kimbo was humble.

I also got a kick out of Anderson Silva apparently calling Chael Sonnen "disrespectful". Yeah, because that only applies outside of the cage.

"I couldn’t come in the UFC and fight a bum, or a tune up fight. I have to fight the best. I am the best. I wanted to fight Brock Lesnar, but unfortunately at the time he was sick. I will be boxing and UFC champion at the same time. I’m officially a two-sport athlete. After I knock out Randy Couture, I’m coming for Brock’s bitch ass next."

Toney is just doing what he did in boxing. He will be destroyed by Randy.

Guess I'll try to pickup tickets this Saturday when they go on sale for UFC fight night 22 Maia vs. Belcher. Not the most exciting card but I'm glad the UFC is headed to Austin TX and I don't have to drive to Houston or Dallas to see a good fight.

Anyone watching the Impact FC event tonight? It could be the worst MMA show I've ever seen. The live cage announcer is horrendous and constantly forgets/pronounces names wrong (he also tries to pump the dead ass crowd mid-fight), fighters verbally tapping out after weak ass strikes, fighters making excuses such as having "diarrhea" after losing a fight, and the worst commentating I've ever heard.

It's a glorious trainwreck. I cant wait to see the atrocity of Shamrock/Rizzo (feels weird saying that in 2010).

I truly hope Chael defeats Anderson. For the my sake, the sake of the Middleweight division, and even for his own sake, Anderson needs a devastating loss. He needs to be humbled. Yes, Anderson Silva is a great fighter. But, I am not a fan of his behavior in his last few fights and thought he behaved in a disrespectful manner to the fighters and us fans. Though, I can see how people would love his nonsense.

Really? You want someone like Sonnen to humble The Spider? I'm not a fan of how Silva was during his last fight but it's not enough to make me root for an ass like Sonnen to beat him.

Chael is a lot more respectful and humble than one would assume. He's a good talker, yes. But I think he's been very respectful.

For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwRT_Fhd6_0

He admits that he can't stand with Anderson and how he has lost by submission on multiple occasions.

Chael just seems honest. He certainly doesn't seem like a bad guy.

Sonnen really comes off like a racist at worst and at least a boring fighter.

I hope Black House continues tapping him out forever.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Sonnen really comes off like a racist at worst.[/QUOTE]

Really dude, you're pulling the race card?

Ugh. That shit gets thrown around WAY to liberally these days.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Sonnen really comes off like a racist at worst[/QUOTE]

Wow. Dumbest post I've seen in a long time. Where did Sonnen say anything even remotely "racist"? Believe it or not, some people could give a shit what "color" someone is. Get over yourself.

I don't like lay & pray wrestlers, but I'd honestly love to see Sonnen do it to Silva the whole freaking fight. It would be pretty fitting for Anderson to lose essentially the same way he's won his last several fights...by doing nothing, but controlling the pace of the fight. Sonnen seems like a pretty funny guy. But that would by far be the funniest thing he could do.

Insinuating that he's gonna send Silva back to "whatever gang he came from" isn't because Silva practices Thai or any other reason than that he's a black guy. Sonnen is pretty outspoken against immigration too. I fail to see how I'm the bad guy when he's pretty comfortable with this stuff being well-known about him.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Insinuating that he's gonna send Silva back to "whatever gang he came from" isn't because Silva practices Thai or any other reason than that he's a black guy. Sonnen is pretty outspoken against immigration too. I fail to see how I'm the bad guy when he's pretty comfortable with this stuff being well-known about him.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you act like worse things aren't said all the time before a fight. He's just trying to get inside Silva's head. If he acts like a dick after the fight, then sure say whatever you want. As for his policy on immigration, I haven't heard it personally, but you realize there are other reasons to be against it other than just being a racist right? I'm not saying Sonnen is a great guy or anything, but in my opinion, Anderson has given me more reasons to not like Anderson, than Chael has to not like Chael. Silva has been a much bigger jackass recently.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Insinuating that he's gonna send Silva back to "whatever gang he came from" isn't because Silva practices Thai or any other reason than that he's a black guy. Sonnen is pretty outspoken against immigration too. I fail to see how I'm the bad guy when he's pretty comfortable with this stuff being well-known about him.[/QUOTE]

come on man, youre trying to tell me everyone who has issues with the current immigration system or is outspoken about it is a racist?

never heard of anderson actually saying anything really bad. his interview in the ufc magazine was pretty interesting if you didn't get a chance to read it. he basically just says stuff like "i'm not god. someone will beat me soon enough, and then i'll work my way back to the top."

UFC 121
Brock Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez
Matt Hamill vs. Tito Ortiz
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Brendan Schaub
Martin Kampmann vs. Jake Shields
Diego Sanchez vs. Paulo Thiago
Ryan Jensen vs. Court McGee
Todd Duffee vs. Jon Madsen

Looks pretty good so far

[quote name='Maklershed']mmajunkie also has listed ..

• Patrick Cote vs. Tom Lawlor
  • Sam Stout vs. Paul Taylor
  • Chris Camozzi vs. Dongi Yang
[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats where I got it from, I forgot to copy them

[quote name='SEH']Anyone watching the Impact FC event tonight? It could be the worst MMA show I've ever seen. The live cage announcer is horrendous and constantly forgets/pronounces names wrong (he also tries to pump the dead ass crowd mid-fight), fighters verbally tapping out after weak ass strikes, fighters making excuses such as having "diarrhea" after losing a fight, and the worst commentating I've ever heard.

It's a glorious trainwreck. I cant wait to see the atrocity of Shamrock/Rizzo (feels weird saying that in 2010).[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Joshua Clottey over fighting Pac...hahahaha, I doubt anyone else will get it.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']UFC 121
Brock Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez
Matt Hamill vs. Tito Ortiz
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Brendan Schaub
Martin Kampmann vs. Jake Shields
Diego Sanchez vs. Paulo Thiago
Ryan Jensen vs. Court McGee
Todd Duffee vs. Jon Madsen

Looks pretty good so far[/QUOTE]

Freaking stacked card and we get to see how Jake Shields handles himself in the UFC. Hope everything doesn't fall to shit like the last time.

[quote name='bobo2k4']Freaking stacked card and we get to see how Jake Shields handles himself in the UFC. Hope everything doesn't fall to shit like the last time.[/QUOTE]

I'm calling it right now. That's my upset of the night. Kampmann looked REALLY good his last time out, and I feel like he's going to be ready for Shields. Wouldn't be surprised if Shields underestimates him also.

Kampmann isn't all that but he has a striker's chance.

Maybe I'll get to delight in an unconscious Jake Shields for once.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Kampmann isn't all that but he has a striker's chance.

Maybe I'll get to delight in an unconscious Jake Shields for once.[/QUOTE]

He's got 2 losses in his last 15 fights, and those have come against Paul Daley (in which the fight was called while he was still on his feet) and Nate Marquardt. I think dropping to 170 was a really smart move for him, and he pretty much manhandled Paulo Thiago, even outclassing him on the ground, in his last fight. I'm not saying it's a given. But to me, this just feels like a matchup that is primed for an upset.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']He's got 2 losses in his last 15 fights, and those have come against Paul Daley (in which the fight was called while he was still on his feet) and Nate Marquardt. I think dropping to 170 was a really smart move for him, and he pretty much manhandled Paulo Thiago, even outclassing him on the ground, in his last fight. I'm not saying it's a given. But to me, this just feels like a matchup that is primed for an upset.[/QUOTE]

at this point i think its going to go down like the mayhem fight.

Kampmann's fight with Daley may have been stopped while he was still standing, but he was getting his ass kicked, and I'm a big Kampmann fan. The stoppage was justified. Anyways, I really hope he can take out Jake Shields, but it will be a very tough fight. I've heard that the winner will get the next title shot?

[quote name='paz9x']at this point i think its going to go down like the mayhem fight.[/QUOTE]

Meaning Shields getting outclassed but holding on for dear life to eek out a win? haha

The last time I checked the betting odds on Bloody elbow's site they had Shields at +200 and Kampmann at like -400 or something. Pretty good shot to win some money on Kampmann if he can pull it off.

Shields at +200? Are you kidding me, there is no way the real odds will be like that. If they are, I'm gonna win a fortune betting it all on Shields. Kampmann is a good fighter with good stand up (not elite, but good) and a good ground game as well, but Shields is better then him overall and is more well rounded. Shields, I dare say it, is a better wrestler then Kampmann is, has better ground game, and can take Kampmann's punches. If Henderson couldn't knock out Shields with that HUGE right hand early in the fight (almost knocked him out, maybe he was knocked out on the way down and woke up when he hit the floor), Kampmann won't be able to stop him.

BTW, I don't know why people regard Kampmann's win over Thiago so highly? Paulo Thiago is not very good, and was never very good. He was getting owned by Koscheck until that freak KO, got owned by Jon Fitch, got owned by Kampmann, come on. And this guy people had in title contention?

Anyway, I also think BS is going to steamroll Gabriel Gonzaga. BS punches hard, and Gonzaga's chin is pure glass.

[quote name='JoshTX']Yeah I mixed them up and screwed that up. I meant Kampmann on the plus. Here's the post I was talking about, they list Shields at -365 and Kampmann at +285:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/7/25/1587339/ufc-121-lesnar-vs-velasquez-fight

I can see this changing quite a bit before the day of the fight.[/QUOTE]

So do those guys just make odds up? Because I check most of the big books in the US and I haven't see lines on anything but Lesnar/Velasquez.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Haha, didn't check Bodog's MMA today.:oops:

Anyway, was expecting a slightly lower, closer number. Shields is often underrated, maybe he got a boost in rep after owned Henderson.[/QUOTE]

For as much as you can be impressed by Shields "owning" Henderson (who is past his prime and is basically a smaller Chuck Liddell at this point), I found him very unimpressive in his fight with Mayhem. Mayhem really outclassed him in that fight, showing a much bigger range of skills on the ground (some of his rolls and escapes were freaking sick!) Shields just held on for dear life and had to resort to the judge's perception of what "controlling" a fight means. If he puts Kampmann's lights out, I'll give the man his due, but if he pulls more of the crap he did against Mayhem, he doesn't deserve to win. I really hope whoever's reffing that fight doesn't allow him to stall like that.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']For as much as you can be impressed by Shields "owning" Henderson (who is past his prime and is basically a smaller Chuck Liddell at this point), I found him very unimpressive in his fight with Mayhem. Mayhem really outclassed him in that fight, showing a much bigger range of skills on the ground (some of his rolls and escapes were freaking sick!) Shields just held on for dear life and had to resort to the judge's perception of what "controlling" a fight means. If he puts Kampmann's lights out, I'll give the man his due, but if he pulls more of the crap he did against Mayhem, he doesn't deserve to win. I really hope whoever's reffing that fight doesn't allow him to stall like that.[/QUOTE]

i feel like shields style is what people mean when they complain about gsp. maybe they confuse the two?
im a mayhem fan and i was very dissappointed with that fight, he really made training errors going into it and said as much after. he didnt expect a wrestling match and ran out of steam more or less.

i really like his grappling style, i enjoy his commentary as well. strikeforce should put him on their main cast when hes not on the card.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']For as much as you can be impressed by Shields "owning" Henderson (who is past his prime and is basically a smaller Chuck Liddell at this point), I found him very unimpressive in his fight with Mayhem. Mayhem really outclassed him in that fight, showing a much bigger range of skills on the ground (some of his rolls and escapes were freaking sick!) Shields just held on for dear life and had to resort to the judge's perception of what "controlling" a fight means. If he puts Kampmann's lights out, I'll give the man his due, but if he pulls more of the crap he did against Mayhem, he doesn't deserve to win. I really hope whoever's reffing that fight doesn't allow him to stall like that.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say Henderson is past his prime. Why is it whenever an older guy loses a fight, he's "shot" or "old" or "past his prime". After he killed Bisping everyone was saying he looked soooooo amazing and could do a ton in the UFC, then when he went to Strikeforce they said he could be champion by beating Shields.

The Mayhem fight was unimpressive, and he really did the exact definition if lay and pray. He had little intention of stopping Mayhem, he just didn't want to get subbed himself. But can you say Martin Kampmann has the same BJJ/ground skills as JASON MILLER? No.

Kampmann has a chance because he's quicker than Henderson was and almost just as strong. He will need to devote some serious time to practicing stuffing Shields takedown attempts and try to keep the fight standing as long as possible.

[quote name='JoshTX']Kampmann has a chance because he's quicker than Henderson was and almost just as strong. He will need to devote some serious time to practicing stuffing Shields takedown attempts and try to keep the fight standing as long as possible.[/QUOTE]

Kampmann as strong as Henderson? That's tough to say, because Henderson can PUNCH with that right hand and he landed one as clean as every flush on Shields and couldn't finish.

I agree that Kampmann will need to devote 100% of his camp to takedown defense though. Shields' wrestling is very good, and he was taking Henderson down with ease.

I gotta think Shields will walk through the sub-par Kampmann unless a freak incident occurs, but that's in October.

In the meantime Okami/Munoz and Gomi/Griffin are pretty awesome fights happening this Sunday on Vs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back