MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
There had been rumors that this was Afflictions last show anyways. They never made a dime off the previous two shows, in fact they lost millions. Strikeforce almost had a deal in place to buy out Affliction but I guess that the UFC deal is better. More exposure for the Affliction t-shirt brand anyways.

Oh, Tito Ortiz is back in the UFC too.

I think the issue was the interest any other available opponent could garner. despite being a moron if he was indeed taking steroids, which i believe based on what the CSAC has said, barnett is a VERY good fighter who had enough of a shot at beating fedor that affliction believed people would buy the PPV based on that match-up. without that marquee match up to push the PPV buys Affliction just could not afford it.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']It's incredible hearing people blaming Josh Barnett for Affliction's downfall. Clearly, Barnett is dumb as hell to still be taking steroids after already being busted once, but if Affliction couldn't find a replacement, to AT LEAST make the show happen, there were wayyyy deeper problems going on in the background.

They must have barely been getting by by the skin of their teeth. Considering how quickly all this happened, it makes me wonder if there were thoughts that the event might not happen anyway...before Barnett was busted. I just can't see one failed drug test making an entire organization say "Ok, we give up!"

It's funny how quickly hard feelings get resolved and Affliction goes right back to UFC though. Obviously, it's all about money, but maybe it'll show Fedor that MMA is a fickle business, and the UFC is one of the only companies who can promise him work.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DestroVega']I hear Fedor has a whole Russian Mob thing surrounding him.[/QUOTE]

a whole russian mob? if that a serious comment its wrong.

No way that hurts his chances with the UFC. I know what they said about fighters who went with EA but c'mon, that is just to punk people. Besides they make the rules as they go regarding the video game.

[quote name='JJSP']Fedor signed a deal to appear in EA's upcoming "MMA" game. I'm sure that won't help his UFC chances.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as I said, I'm sure there will be loopholes. Here's an excerpt from a Sherdog article on that story.

Emelianenko and Randy Couture will be featured in the first edition due out next year. Both fighters agreed to deals with EA Sports months ago.

Recently, however, UFC President Dana White said that any fighter who signs with EA would not be welcome in the UFC. The UFC has its own video game, “UFC Undisputed,” which was developed with THQ.

White has said that Couture, who signed with EA while he was battling the UFC over contract issues, is an exception. It is uncertain if Emelianenko could be an exception as well, though M-1 Global chief Vadim Finkelstein said Fedor’s agreement with EA “did not affect our negotiations with the UFC at all” and that M-1 Global is planning its own game.

The participation of Gegard Mousasi and Renato Sobral in the EA Sports game was also announced Wednesday. They will join Frank Shamrock, Tim Sylvia and others.

So, it seems like EA's game is going to feature a bit of a ragtag group for its roster. It really makes me wonder how they'll round out the weight classes though, or if you'll be able to mix/match weight classes like you couldn't do in UFC Undisputed. Of course, none of that will matter if they don't get the gameplay right. I guess we'll see.

Wow...this is allegedly the offer that Dana made to Fedor. But (also allegedly) it wasn't good enough for his stupid management, M-1 Global, who wants the UFC to let them to co-promote events. What a bunch of fucking leeches! Does Scott Boras work for M-1?

By: Carmichael Dave
CBS Radio MMA Host
Twitter.com/Carmichaeldave

So we all know the deal with M-1 and what they are saying about co-promotion. I'm not here to say who's right and wrong in this deal, but I can tell you some of the specifics that were offered to Fedor.....

- The UFC offered Fedor a 6 fight, 30 million dollar contract. That's 5 mil a fight

- The UFC offered Fedor an immediate title shot.

- Lesnar/Fedor would be the biggest PPV in MMA history (we assume), and the UFC offered M-1 Global a cut of the PPV on top of Fedor's purse.

- Fedor was free to wear as many M-1 logoed items as he wished.

- The UFC also relented on allowing Fedor to compete in combat sambo.

Apparently, for good or bad, M-1 refuses to sign a deal unless the UFC agrees to co-promote.

I can tell you right now, the boys at ZUFFA will never, EVER agree to that. So if M-1 doesnt relent on that item alone, the Fedor to UFC talks are dead. Look for Team Emelianenko to turn to Strikeforce next. With co-promotions already in the books with Affliction, that shouldnt be a stopping point.

All that, and still not good enough. If this is true, I say M-1 can eat a dick. Of course Strikeforce will agree to it. And then we'll see how long it takes them to go out of business, since they're giving a portion of their hard earned profits to the scumbags at M-1.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Wow...this is allegedly the offer that Dana made to Fedor. But (also allegedly) it wasn't good enough for his stupid management, M-1 Global, who wants the UFC to let them to co-promote events. What a bunch of fucking leeches! Does Scott Boras work for M-1?

All that, and still not good enough. If this is true, I say M-1 can eat a dick. Of course Strikeforce will agree to it. And then we'll see how long it takes them to go out of business, since they're giving a portion of their hard earned profits to the scumbags at M-1.[/QUOTE]

If that contract is true, M-1 is fucking pathetic, I don't understand why they have to co-promote. I say fuck em, we have plenty of HWs for Lesnar to fight, carwin/cain, nog/randy, cro cop/dos santos and we have more HWs coming in from this season of ultimate fighter.

[quote name='havoksend']They must be high, I hope Dana laughed in their face when they tried to haggle further after that.[/QUOTE]

Well, what's stupid is, even co-promoting through Strikeforce, they won't make as much money as the UFC was offering. They're supposed to be Fedor's managers, and trying to get HIM the best deal. As a lot of people on Sherdog have mentioned, co-promoting does NOTHING to help Fedor, and would only benefit M-1. And I have no doubt in my mind that as soon as they leeched enough money out of the UFC, they would break away and try to put the UFC out of business by having their own PPVs.

You can already tell that's their strategy based on their admission that they're planning their own MMA game. It's just greed at its finest. They've got to be the most arrogant pricks in the world if they think that they deserve a slice of the pie that UFC has built up for over a decade. Fedor or not, what has M-1 done for MMA?

They're even talking about possibly suing Affliction because of the money they lost due to the canceled show...even though it's likely that their blood sucking ways contributed to Affliction's demise. I know Tom Atencio took a lot of heat for the way he ran Affliction, but good God. These guys almost lost their livelihood trying to get an MMA promotion off the ground. What the hell did M-1 do to help so much that they deserved co-promotion? It makes me wonder how much they walked away with. Like Dana said "Crazy fucking Russians!"

It just seems like a deal that the UFC should never make. Those kind of numbers would raise the tide for all the other boats in the UFC ocean and you damned well bet Tito, Couture, et al. wouldn't be quiet about their pay if Fedor starts making $5M a fight.

I just can't see how Fedor would even be worth that kind of money. He might be the best, but he's completely unknown by the world at large so he won't make a difference on PPV until he is built up. If it takes two fights to tune him up, that's $10+M and 1/3 the contract out the window.

I suppose if they pit him against Brock right away and he if makes Lesnar look foolish and if he takes the fight quickly and decisively, it might make him a superstar out of the gate. But that's a lot of money to bet on a lot of ifs. If it's a boring fight, and it might well be, then you could end up with another Anderson Silva - a fantastic fighter who isn't a draw on top outside of the hardcores.

These numbers just seem ludicrous any way I look at them except as a way for UFC to paint themselves as the good guys in these negotiations. Which would also explain how they came to be leaked.

[quote name='Fanboy']These numbers just seem ludicrous any way I look at them except as a way for UFC to paint themselves as the good guys in these negotiations. Which would also explain how they came to be leaked.[/QUOTE]

That's gotta be the best point I've ever seen you make on these boards. I agree 100%. It could really be a matter of Dana knowing that M-1 demanded co-promotion (which he wasn't going to agree to), and then just making Fedor the best offer he possibly could. If they turn it down, they look like greedy idiots. If they accept it, then Dana managed to pull off the "impossible" and got the world's premiere fighter into his organization.

It might not be in the best interest of the company, in terms of future contracts for other fighters, but he probably doesn't expect Fedor to accept it either. But nobody can say the guy didn't try. So, now the world's greatest fighter can enjoy going to Strikeforce and fighting a bunch of hasbeens, while he makes his management team a shit ton of money. Dumb.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, what's stupid is, even co-promoting through Strikeforce, they won't make as much money as the UFC was offering. They're supposed to be Fedor's managers, and trying to get HIM the best deal. As a lot of people on Sherdog have mentioned, co-promoting does NOTHING to help Fedor, and would only benefit M-1. And I have no doubt in my mind that as soon as they leeched enough money out of the UFC, they would break away and try to put the UFC out of business by having their own PPVs.

You can already tell that's their strategy based on their admission that they're planning their own MMA game. It's just greed at its finest. They've got to be the most arrogant pricks in the world if they think that they deserve a slice of the pie that UFC has built up for over a decade. Fedor or not, what has M-1 done for MMA?

They're even talking about possibly suing Affliction because of the money they lost due to the canceled show...even though it's likely that their blood sucking ways contributed to Affliction's demise. I know Tom Atencio took a lot of heat for the way he ran Affliction, but good God. These guys almost lost their livelihood trying to get an MMA promotion off the ground. What the hell did M-1 do to help so much that they deserved co-promotion? It makes me wonder how much they walked away with. Like Dana said "Crazy fucking Russians!"[/QUOTE]

its fuckin sad to see that mma has the same damn drama as the wrestling world and i guess damn near every other fighting sport. ive got nothing against someone wanting to build up their company but theres alot to be learned from how many wrestling promotions failed.

itll be interesting to see how these other mma games pan out. i always wished someone would take wrestling games to a new level but they never seemed to develop beyond the yukes/thq formula. iwanted to play a game what wwas lest about watching animations after button/direction combos and more about interaction in the ring. momentum over sheer power.

Updated Strikeforce card for Aug. 15th:

Women's Championship: Gina Carano vs Cris "Cyborg" Santos

Light Heavyweight Championship: Gegard Mousasi vs Renato "Babalu" Sobral

Lightweight Championship: Gilbert Melendez vs Mitsuhiro Ishida

Heavyweight Championship: Fabricio Werdum vs TBA

Welterweight Championship: Nick Diaz vs Jay Hieron

Despite all the injuries that happened, this has shaped up to be an incredible card. Can't wait for the 15th!

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']Updated Strikeforce card for Aug. 15th:

Women's Championship: Gina Carano vs Cris "Cyborg" Santos

Light Heavyweight Championship: Gegard Mousasi vs Renato "Babalu" Sobral

Lightweight Championship: Gilbert Melendez vs Mitsuhiro Ishida

Heavyweight Championship: Fabricio Werdum vs TBA

Welterweight Championship: Nick Diaz vs Jay Hieron

Despite all the injuries that happened, this has shaped up to be an incredible card. Can't wait for the 15th![/QUOTE]

I agree, but let's not forget about August 8th. UFC101 should be great. I'm really psyched about Silva/Griffin and Penn/Florian. I'll be rooting for the underdogs in both of those matchups.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I agree, but let's not forget about August 8th. UFC101 should be great. I'm really psyched about Silva/Griffin and Penn/Florian. I'll be rooting for the underdogs in both of those matchups.[/QUOTE]
Hell yeah man, I really can't wait for Silva/Griffin. I sort of hate BJ Penn so I'm hoping KenFlo kicks his ass :lol:. Then Aug. 9th is WEC: Torres vs Bowles which should be awesome as well.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']Luke Thomas is on Twitter updating from the UFC press conference:

http://twitter.com/mmanation

Highlights thus far:

UFC has signed Vitor Belfort. Belfort vs. Franklin at UFC 103 (Awesome!!!)

Hendo is next in line for a title shot.

Fedor isn't coming from what I can see.[/QUOTE]

NICE! Belfort's power at Middleweight is ridiculous. I'm guessing the winner of that fight gets the winner of Silva/Henderson. The prospect of a Belfort/Silva matchup is making me salivate. I don't think Spider has ever fought someone that explosive before.

Good thing I bought tickets to the event yesterday, can't believe all the 50 dollar tickets were already sold out. Anyways, yeah, I'm happy that Vitor vs. Franklin is happening now, didn't really like the reasoning behind Henderson vs. Franklin.

Anyways, I was wondering, is Vitor vs. Franklin the main event or co-main event. I would think it's just the co-main event and then maybe Mirko vs. De Santos is going to the main event, or vice versa.

So far this card is looking to be great, though I don't like Mirko vs. Santos, I think should have a little bit more of a challenge.

Oh yeah. Fedor not going to be signed, oh well. Though, the possibility after the 3 fight contract with M-1 is a maybe. Just saw the Fedor interview with sherdog.com and he said he's only making a promise to M-1 to stay commited until the contract is finished.

I've never seen an MMA fight that wasn't basically a better lit version of a sloppy scrap between two plastered morons in a dive bar parking lot at 2am. I'd actually be into MMA if it had anything at all to do with martial arts. But as it stands now, when I want to see a UFC-quality fight, I'll find that Bumfights DVD.

[quote name='HovaEscobar']I've never seen an MMA fight that wasn't basically a better lit version of a sloppy scrap between two plastered morons in a dive bar parking lot at 2am. I'd actually be into MMA if it had anything at all to do with martial arts. But as it stands now, when I want to see a UFC-quality fight, I'll find that Bumfights DVD.[/QUOTE]

Are you off your fucking nut??? Look at these three fights and tell me they have nothing to do with martial arts.

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Kendall_Grove_vs_Ed_Herman_TUF_3_Finale?vid=10001616

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Matt_Hughes_vs_B_J_Penn_II_UFC_63?vid=10002675

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6245918388267521251

[quote name='HovaEscobar']I've never seen an MMA fight that wasn't basically a better lit version of a sloppy scrap between two plastered morons in a dive bar parking lot at 2am. I'd actually be into MMA if it had anything at all to do with martial arts. But as it stands now, when I want to see a UFC-quality fight, I'll find that Bumfights DVD.[/QUOTE]

What are you doing in here, retard?

lol...this guy.

1. is a troll (made an anti-michael jackson blog for attention)
2. wants to learn to box
3. because his brother beats him up
4. is a teenager
5. well...in his own words:

"I've realized that I've wasted the best years of life filled with hate and being in isolation, and now I don't know what to do. Part of me is clamoring for that feeling, trying to get friends and the girlfriend that I could've had, but now I cannot because at my school I have a reputation for being a loner and loser. With all of this anxiety, I've chosen many defense mechanisms. The first being hate,"

i think we can safely disregard anything he posts or report him to a mod.

The competition is just a fucking angle man, it gives structure and credibility to MMA and it make it more appealing to casual sporting fans that like to gamble on the odds--wrestling got the same hype about 60yrs ago up until it was revealed that a baby and a heel were road buddies, thats about the time America turned on us just like they'll turn on Dana White when he reveals that he did fix matches between older, more established fighers, and the up-and-comers that had more to gain from the victory. Then you guys get to be called idiots for loving the lie.

Also, cool, you read my blog. big deal lol

[quote name='HovaEscobar']The competition is just a fucking angle man, it gives structure and credibility to MMA and it make it more appealing to casual sporting fans that like to gamble on the odds--wrestling got the same hype about 60yrs ago up until it was revealed that a baby and a heel were road buddies, thats about the time America turned on us just like they'll turn on Dana White when he reveals that he did fix matches between older, more established fighers, and the up-and-comers that had more to gain from the victory. Then you guys get to be called idiots for loving the lie.

Also, cool, you read my blog. big deal lol[/QUOTE]

Shut the fuck up and go back to the wrestling thread, fucktard.

[quote name='HovaEscobar']The competition is just a fucking angle man, it gives structure and credibility to MMA and it make it more appealing to casual sporting fans that like to gamble on the odds--wrestling got the same hype about 60yrs ago up until it was revealed that a baby and a heel were road buddies, thats about the time America turned on us just like they'll turn on Dana White when he reveals that he did fix matches between older, more established fighers, and the up-and-comers that had more to gain from the victory. Then you guys get to be called idiots for loving the lie.

Shut the fuck up emo kid, just because you get treated like shit, don't come into a well established thread and talk shit. Have you seen the video "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam? You should do that at the end of the video.

Watch the video dickhead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMRTOZExfJA

Fedor just signed with Strikeforce. I said it before, he will never end up in the UFC. Guess we will get to see Fedor fight Rogers this fall.

See, this is it. This is the exact shit that gives wrestling fans a bad name. These retards who can't distinguish fantasy from reality. But don't worry, loser. There's still hope. You'll have a girlfriend before Dana White admits that fights are fixed. Although I'm fairly certain that neither will ever happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back