MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Dokstarr']I DVRd it and I was real surprised to see what happened to Brown, but of course nobody is invincible. It seems like everyone seems untouchable for a while until the right person comes around. I remember before Brown beat Faber they were making Faber out to be the p4p best during WEC events.[/QUOTE]

that was marketing. everybody who knew what type of fighter mike brown was coming into that fight knew it was going to be a good fight.

everybody gets hyped on a fighter after a 1-2 wins. i havent been around yet but im sure theres loads of p4p talk of aldo already.

I completely forgot until last night at 1am I was check my guide and it was there. I watched the very end of one fight then saw the whole Gamburian vs Alravez and the Brown/Aldo fight. Wow Aldo is a beast! Fast and packs lots of power behind those punches. His take down defense was epic as well!

Last nights Ultimate Fighter was a decent match Schaub has some pretty good stand up and works well in the guard. Once again we have more Mitrione BS. The coaches challenge was also shown with Evans winning. Kimbo has a knee problem(degenerating cartilage) but still wants to fight of course. He tries to sit in a tub full of ice with rather funny results. Next week two hour special with four fights!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=mmajunkie-Gomi_in_the_US&prov=mmajunkie&type=lgns

I would love to see a Penn/Gomi 2!

106 predictions:

Griffin by UD
Johnson by Ko(unless Koscheck gets him down)
Sadollah by sub
Lil nog by D
Hazlett by UD

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='paz9x']no love for the wec event?[/QUOTE]

What's a good primer for WEC? What fights or feuds should I start with?

Looks like Karo Parisyan has pulled out of another fight, and now Dana is saying he is banned for life from the UFC. He was just dead weight anyways.

Nice to see that the UFC will still be paying Dustin Hazlett his full purse, including win bonus, but it still sucks for the guy to go through a training camp and not get to fight.

[quote name='Pavel6969']Looks like Karo Parisyan has pulled out of another fight, and now Dana is saying he is banned for life from the UFC. He was just dead weight anyways.

Nice to see that the UFC will still be paying Dustin Hazlett his full purse, including win bonus, but it still sucks for the guy to go through a training camp and not get to fight.[/QUOTE]

"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM BRO!!? BRO, DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!!"
:lol:

MAIN CARD

* Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz - want Forrest to win but think Tito will GNP him
* Anthony Johnson vs. Josh Koscheck - Kos via GNP
* Phil Baroni vs. Amir Sadollah - Sadollah via some kind of sub (if it goes past the first round, if it doesnt Baroni via KO)
* Luiz Cane vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira - Cane via TKO
* Paulo Thiago vs. Jacob Volkmann - Volkmann has the potential to sub thiago. if he doesnt get KOed.

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

* Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders - no idea. Rooting for Davis & davis has better striking skills; but Saunders is like a foot taller.
* Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt - Rosholt via stoppage due to strikes

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Brian Foster vs. Brock Larson - Larson
* Fabricio Camoes vs. Caol Uno - Uno
* Jason Dent vs. George Sotiropoulos - Dent via decision or Sot via sub.

Hazlett by default lol

I finally got a chance to watch this past week's Ultimate Fighter, and I gotta say, good for Schaub on taking out one of the fake fighters in the competition! I'm so sick of lay & pray garbage. As I've said before, I'm all for octagon control, but you gotta do something with it. At some point, you have to view holding your opponent down on the mat (not setting up subs, not working GnP, etc.) as refusing to fight.

It just feels like a popular trend for these guys to not attempt ANYTHING because they don't want to risk losing their "dominant position". Schaub looked terrible on the ground, but all it took was Madsen dropping his hands for a second and it was nap time. Incredible what happens when you actually force the guys to fight. :)

Also, I wish they would pull a "Nate Quarry" on Matt Mitrione and have someone roll over his ankle so we can finally be done with him. He's gotta be one of the dumbest, most worthless athletes (and I use that term lightly) I've ever seen.

I was glad for a knockout (finally) but was not impressed by Brenden's ground game or striking. Everyone should just go home and let Roy get the contract since he is the only fighter in the house ready for prime-time athletes. I like Marcus a lot but after seeing his KO loss his stand-up is extremely suspect.

So brock's condition was he had a hole in his intestines. so food was going into his abdomen & causing infection. pretty nasty.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I finally got a chance to watch this past week's Ultimate Fighter, and I gotta say, good for Schaub on taking out one of the fake fighters in the competition! I'm so sick of lay & pray garbage. As I've said before, I'm all for octagon control, but you gotta do something with it. At some point, you have to view holding your opponent down on the mat (not setting up subs, not working GnP, etc.) as refusing to fight.

It just feels like a popular trend for these guys to not attempt ANYTHING because they don't want to risk losing their "dominant position". Schaub looked terrible on the ground, but all it took was Madsen dropping his hands for a second and it was nap time. Incredible what happens when you actually force the guys to fight. :)

Also, I wish they would pull a "Nate Quarry" on Matt Mitrione and have someone roll over his ankle so we can finally be done with him. He's gotta be one of the dumbest, most worthless athletes (and I use that term lightly) I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]
why are you putting dominant position in quotes, like it's not something that's real?

Repeatedly taking a larger striker down & wearing them out is a legit strategy. Many wrestlers do this to wear down their opponents and then finish them in later rounds. The guy on the bottom constantly trying to escape from someone on top of them is extremely tiring.

Brendan fought a dirty fight, he grabbed & held the fence on about 3 or 4 takedowns he was going to be dumped on. Rashad is from the same camp (Greg Jackson MMA) & said he should have even gotten a point deducted for it. I hope Brendan gets eliminated ASAP. I hate dirty fighters.

[quote name='TURBO']why are you putting dominant position in quotes, like it's not something that's real?

Repeatedly taking a larger striker down & wearing them out is a legit strategy. Many wrestlers do this to wear down their opponents and then finish them in later rounds. The guy on the bottom constantly trying to escape from someone on top of them is extremely tiring.

Brendan fought a dirty fight, he grabbed & held the fence on about 3 or 4 takedowns he was going to be dumped on. Rashad is from the same camp (Greg Jackson MMA) & said he should have even gotten a point deducted for it. I hope Brendan gets eliminated ASAP. I hate dirty fighters.[/QUOTE]

I put it in quotes because for a lot of guys, laying on top of someone has absolutely nothing to do with being dominant. I've said many times, I completely respect wrestlers who build off of their takedowns (GSP, old school Randy Couture, Lesnar, etc.) But the ability to take a guy down should not be the be all end all to winning a fight. I would compare this to a striker just clinching or leaning on a guy against the cage the entire fight. It's a strategy, but it shouldn't be enough to win the fight. It's what you do after that that makes the difference.

Also, saying Schaub fought a "dirty fight" is a joke. Him grabbing the cage had nothing to do with Madsen getting knocked the fuck out. Sure, MAYBE it stopped a takedown, but Madsen was able to bring him down anyway, but just couldn't do anything once he got him there. The real reason Rashad was upset about it was because Madsen was the fighter he chose to train and he lost. I think Rashad's gotten way too accustomed to winning this season, and he's gotten insanely cocky.

He's at the point where he's talking shit completely unprovoked now. Even in the volleyball game, you could tell that Rampage is at a point where he's got his tail between his legs because he's been beaten so badly, but Rashad keeps pushing him. Earlier in the season, I gave Rashad credit for mostly taking the high road and taking care of business in the cage. But now it just feels like he's going out of his way to rub it in. He's just as bad as Rampage ever was. The two of them deserve each other.

Forrest
Johnson
Nog
Amir
Thiago
Saunders
Rosholt

That's what I'm hoping to see come out of tonight!

If KOS, Da SPYDA, and Tito all get destroyed it'll be 3 of the biggest douches in MMA getting just desserts.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Forrest
Johnson
Nog
Amir
Thiago
Saunders
Rosholt

That's what I'm hoping to see come out of tonight!

If KOS, Da SPYDA, and Tito all get destroyed it'll be 3 of the biggest douches in MMA getting just desserts.[/QUOTE]

Forrest just needs a good showing to make up for his Anderson Silva debacle. Another loss and he becomes the new Michael Bisping.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I put it in quotes because for a lot of guys, laying on top of someone has absolutely nothing to do with being dominant. I've said many times, I completely respect wrestlers who build off of their takedowns (GSP, old school Randy Couture, Lesnar, etc.) But the ability to take a guy down should not be the be all end all to winning a fight. I would compare this to a striker just clinching or leaning on a guy against the cage the entire fight. It's a strategy, but it shouldn't be enough to win the fight. It's what you do after that that makes the difference.

Also, saying Schaub fought a "dirty fight" is a joke. Him grabbing the cage had nothing to do with Madsen getting knocked the fuck out. Sure, MAYBE it stopped a takedown, but Madsen was able to bring him down anyway, but just couldn't do anything once he got him there. The real reason Rashad was upset about it was because Madsen was the fighter he chose to train and he lost. I think Rashad's gotten way too accustomed to winning this season, and he's gotten insanely cocky.

He's at the point where he's talking shit completely unprovoked now. Even in the volleyball game, you could tell that Rampage is at a point where he's got his tail between his legs because he's been beaten so badly, but Rashad keeps pushing him. Earlier in the season, I gave Rashad credit for mostly taking the high road and taking care of business in the cage. But now it just feels like he's going out of his way to rub it in. He's just as bad as Rampage ever was. The two of them deserve each other.[/QUOTE]
ok first of all holding a fighter against the cage is not the same thing. that is more tiring on the person holding them against the cage as it is ther person being held. because the person being held usually has the wizard which tires ther person's arms who's holding them. as opposed to someone being held down on the ground which lets the person on top rest while the person on the bottom has trouble breathing & wastes energy trying to escape. the person usually holding the other fighter against the cage is also usually trying to work for a takedown, which takes more energy than trying to avoid the takedown. avoiding the takedown is more a matter of weight distribution and takedown is more a matter of strength & timing.

secondly, shaub most definitely DID grab the fence & hold it, pulling himself up in a TD that he would have been dumped on, right before he KOed madsen. so, if he didnt cheat he might not have ever gotten the chance to KO madsen. If he didnt CHEAT he could have been worn down by the third and madsen could have GNPed him like he did his first fight (did you see that one? the worst beating of the entire show)

also, the reason rashad was helping madsen is because he already helped shaub and he's from the same training camp as shaub, so if he didnt help madsen it would have show favoritism.

no, rashad is bullying a bully. rashad never bullies anybody else. saying he's the same as rampage is like saying the U.S. is the same as terrorists because military kills them, and terrorists kill innocent ppl. has rashad ever gloated or to smack talked anybody who didn't start it? no.

[quote name='TURBO'] has rashad ever gloated or to smack talked anybody who didn't start it? no.[/QUOTE]

his antics with chuck and forrest would be a yes. not to disagree with your post beyond that statement.

[quote name='paz9x']his antics with chuck and forrest would be a yes. not to disagree with your post beyond that statement.[/QUOTE]what antics? i dont remember him saying anything bad. if youre talking about him being happy after he won like every other fighter ever, then that's a stretch. go back and watch some interviews w/ him before the fights ull see he's nothing but respectful. (e.g. ufc 92 "forrest came out he set the precedent" "forrest does a lot of things good, he's got determination" etc..)

compare to rampage. "he's got stank breath, his breath stank!" "he's dumb as dirt!"

Tito hasn't even improved at all. He seems worse than before. Round 3 was 10-8 Griffin to me. Tito was gassed badly. Rounds 1 and 2 were close. I laughed when Tito made another excuse for his loss. Congrats to Forrest for pulling off the win.

Wow, this was one of the better UFC's I've seen in a long time. Almost every fight was very entertaining. Although, I'm guessing Josh Koscheck wants to follow Rampage's footsteps into acting with that "eye injury". Don't get me wrong, an illegal blow is an illegal blow, but he didn't touch Josh's left eye.

I really thought he was going to go for the DQ win there. It almost seemed like he wanted the doctor to bail him out, but then when he left it up to Josh, he didn't want to puss out. After all the ensuing eye pokes, Johnson got sloppy and just gave him that damn RNC. I'll give Koscheck credit for looking dominant, but he's still a dbag.

As for the main event, what the hell happened to Tito in that 3rd round??? The only thing I could come up with was that his corner must have told him he was up 2-0 because he hardly attempted anything. He fought that round so cautiously, and he really didn't even look that tired (still had his hands up, chest wasn't heaving, etc). I just don't get it.

Really crazy that there was almost a polar split with the judges though. And I'm guessing the deciding judge gave Forrest the 1st and 3rd round, which really makes that 3rd round even more critical. Tito really wasted all his training with the way he approached that round. I was disappointed.

In other news, I have a new favorite underdog fighter in Jacob Volkmann (aka Lloyd Christmas). My wife said he reminded her of Edward Norton in Fight Club. Just this unassuming, nerdy guy in the cubicle next to you, who goes home after work and beats the shit out of people, haha. I can only imagine how many guys mess with him and then get their ass kicked. He really held his own against Thiago too. He just needs to learn how to dodge a damn punch. Likeable guy though.

Sotoropoulous looked AMAZING once again. About as technical on the ground as anybody.

Felt like I was in the Twilight Zone for the Kos/Johnson fight. Wanted Johnson to win but
I think the eye poke along with the illegal knee took him outta the game.

Forrest's standup looked SOOOOO much improved. I'll admit that I was suprised
that is was split decision, but I'm glad he won and looked good doing it.
NOTE TO TITO: Never blame a loss on an injury directly after the fight.
No matter who you are, you look pathetic and the crowd will let you know it.

Great night of fights and best one since UFC 102 IMO :applause:.

[quote name='TURBO']what antics? i dont remember him saying anything bad. if youre talking about him being happy after he won like every other fighter ever, then that's a stretch. go back and watch some interviews w/ him before the fights ull see he's nothing but respectful.

compare to rampage. "he's got stank breath, his breath stank!" "he's dumb as dirt!"

[quote name='hcamacho']I kinda like Kosheck to go down...I believe Johnson will defeat him,but not sure...[/QUOTE]

After watching the first minutes of the fight...I thought that Johnson was not up to par to koschek,and at the end I was glad he won the fight,Anthony didn't do anything to prove he was all the hype that was surrounding him...

i thought Johnson had a pretty good chance at beating Kos.

i still think he'd have a good chance at the rematch. he made ZERO effort to resist that RNC. why? i don't really know. i've heard he had major eye surgery and i've been poked in the eye during a takedown before. it was excruciating. kos has long been one of the crappiest parts of the UFC and really isn't required.

i felt like rosholt and johnson both bungled fights they could have won. oh well at least marcus davis got ko'd.

Sotriopolus (sp?) was amazing. He could be ready for the top 10's in a year if he keeps performing that way.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze'] oh well at least marcus davis got ko'd.[/QUOTE]

especially by ben saunders, such a nice guy, i always like to watch him fight.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']i thought Johnson had a pretty good chance at beating Kos.

i still think he'd have a good chance at the rematch. he made ZERO effort to resist that RNC. why? i don't really know. i've heard he had major eye surgery and i've been poked in the eye during a takedown before. it was excruciating. kos has long been one of the crappiest parts of the UFC and really isn't required.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I'm not the only person who noticed this. He actually moved his arm out of the way and lifted his head so Kos could get it sunk in fully. The only thing I could come up with was at that point, Johnson had given up. I do feel like all the chaos early in the fight took him out of his game though.

Even before he got poked in the eye the 2nd time (which was the worst poke of the match...and the ref ALMOST missed it), he seemed way too frantic and sloppy. It's nuts that a little piece of garbage like Josh Koscheck could make Johnson panic, but maybe it's that ugly peroxyde stained head that just terrifies opponents. It's like fighting a troll.

Pretty good fights

Rosholt could have beat Grove oh well.
Saunders has brutal knees!
Christmas great nickname and an interesting fighter.
Lil nog looked really good!
Kos is such a dbag.
Forrest looked improved and Tito looks like he should retire.

I have this feeling were going to find out kimbo is fighting as a contestant on the card.
i still havent seen where that video footage of kimbo standing over brendan schaub up against the cage came from.

[quote name='paz9x']I have this feeling were going to find out kimbo is fighting as a contestant on the card.
i still havent seen where that video footage of kimbo standing over brendan schaub up against the cage came from.[/QUOTE]

So, the suspicion would be that Kimbo gets a semi-final fight, and wins it, thus putting him into the finale with a shot at actually earning the UFC contract? Wouldn't that be a hell of a twist.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']So, the suspicion would be that Kimbo gets a semi-final fight, and wins it, thus putting him into the finale with a shot at actually earning the UFC contract? Wouldn't that be a hell of a twist.[/QUOTE]

it would. you know in the past theyve been EXTREMELY tight about letting you know which contestants are fighting on the finale. I found it a bit odd how its been handled this year. well see.
theres a promo up of marcus trying to fight matt and saying kimbo gets his chance to come back.

[quote name='tiredfornow']Didn't Houston Alexander already spill the beans that he was fighting Kimbo at the Finale?

EDIT: http://www.fighters.com/11/24/spike...finale-houston-alexander-confirms-kimbo-slice

Just last week, too.[/QUOTE]

no he did. its been a rumor for a bit. just the way its been is weird. there was footage released before the season of kimbo over brendan schaub in the cage. that had to come from somewhere. well find otu soon.
i hope theres some sort of surprise otherwise its been a very boring season IMO.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Where is this footage of Kimbo over Schaub?[/QUOTE]

it was in a promo before the season started. i have no idea where to find it. it looks like schaub got dropped by how hes on the ground against the cage and kimbo looks like hes throwing punches while standing over him. that scene lasted a couple seconds.

well im pretty sure im wrong. i think it was from the rogers fight. im about 75% it was rogers not kimbo.
my bad. =)

heres the promo its at the 46 second mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJpZSMftjXY

Last edited by a moderator:
i dunno. it seems a but too odd to me. usually theyre VERY good about keeping this shit under wraps. letting the footage slip of nelson referring to his fight with kimbo seems weird.
that could be him but after comparing it to the footage of the rogers schaub fight i think its from there. the shorts are the same and theyre in the same spot against the cage by the mickeys logo.

well see, im glad theres something to keep my interest because for the most part these guys are boring as hell.

[quote name='paz9x']i dunno. it seems a but too odd to me. usually theyre VERY good about keeping this shit under wraps. letting the footage slip of nelson referring to his fight with kimbo seems weird.
that could be him but after comparing it to the footage of the rogers schaub fight i think its from there. the shorts are the same and theyre in the same spot against the cage by the mickeys logo.

well see, im glad theres something to keep my interest because for the most part these guys are boring as hell.[/QUOTE]

Wiki shortly after this discussion posted that the finale was Nelson v. Schaub. I waited until after it aired to post this. ;-) Oddly, that was my pick for the finale (first time for everything!)

so i didnt see that footage of nelson telling schaub abotu the crucifx position from that promo.
anyway. i was bummed to see marcus get pounded out like that.
but schaub is a more complete fighter for sure. hopefully he beats nelson.

I laughed pretty hard when Zak came out swinging and McSweeney just immediately put him in a standing guillotine. Can't wait for Saturday night! Hopefully Brendan Schaub kicks the shit out of Roy.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']I laughed pretty hard when Zak came out swinging and McSweeney just immediately put him in a standing guillotine. Can't wait for Saturday night! Hopefully Brendan Schaub kicks the shit out of Roy.[/QUOTE]

Yes please! All Roy does is lay on people and they can't get out from under there, I really want to see him get knocked out.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Yes please! All Roy does is lay on people and they can't get out from under there, I really want to see him get knocked out.[/QUOTE]

schaub is more exciting.
im looking forward to saturdays card. i think itll be good.

Watching last night's TUF now, I think I've found the cure for my insomnia, and that remedy is watching Roy Nelson "fight" on the ground.

Does anyone have a gif of Rampage going cross-eyed, imitating James McSweeney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back