MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']fedor/barnett and fedor/overeem are the only 2 matches worth watching.

if they're not going to happen fedor has no relevance any more.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's amazing that he can basically take guys out at will, but if he's not doing it with a belt around his waist, then it's pointless. As long as Fedor sticks with M-1 Global, this will be his legacy: "The Greatest Fighter Ever...?" Not that he gives a shit though.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Agreed. It's amazing that he can basically take guys out at will, but if he's not doing it with a belt around his waist, then it's pointless. As long as Fedor sticks with M-1 Global, this will be his legacy: "The Greatest Fighter Ever...?" Not that he gives a shit though.[/QUOTE]

True. Fedor could give two shits what American internet bloggers and sherdoggers think of him. He's a family and countryman who makes a good sum of money off his part ownership of M-1 Global. He's a hero in Russia and probably cares very little to fight Mir or Lesnar. If he does keep fighting, he will most likely knock out Werdum, then have a matchup with Overeem which will get cancelled after Overeem tests positive for growth hormones. :roll:

Overeem/Fedor will need to be in Japan where roids can roam free.

Fedor makes virtually no decisions about who he fights. His manager runs the whole show and makes all the decisions from what I understand. There is no fighter on Earth that doesn't want to be known as "The Best Alive" no matter their origin.

Wow just saw one of the most devastating knock out kicks ever - Dan Hornbuckle landing an unblocked roundhouse to the chin of Akihoro Gono during the Sengoku Raiden Championship 12. Gono looked like he went flying halfway across the ring from that one.

[quote name='Maklershed']Wow just saw one of the most devastating knock out kicks ever - Dan Hornbuckle landing an unblocked roundhouse to the chin of Akihoro Gono during the Sengoku Raiden Championship 12. Gono looked like he went flying halfway across the ring from that one.[/QUOTE]
That was actually back at Sengoku 9. I think it was last August. Still though, worst knockout I've ever seen. Absolutely vicious.

Great KO kick... I don't know why but I'm actually looking forward to watching Sengoku 12 tonight on the HDNet tape-delay. Really not any match-ups that are compelling to me but I love MMA so I'll be watching.

[quote name='billyrox']so i really hope Manny wins tonight... are you a big fan Droogs?[/QUOTE]

No, i've actually never watched him fight before. I've been watching mma since around 2003 but never got into boxing.

[quote name='Droogs']No, i've actually never watched him fight before. I've been watching mma since around 2003 but never got into boxing.[/QUOTE]

yeah i love mma more...but pacman is a machine... lets see what happens tonight... btw, what else do you watch using veetle? can you sometimes get UFC stuff?

I still couldn't believe the commentator was yelling bang there for a bit for every punch pacman threw. BANG BANG..BANG....BANG!

So what's the word on Sengoku 12? I have it on my DVR but won't be able to watch it till tomorrow.

And hey, check out all these show taking place in the next month:

UFC on Versus – March 21st
UFC 111 – March 27th
UFN 21 – March 31st
UFC 112 – April 10th
UFN 22 – April 17th

Strikeforce Challengers - March 26th
Strikeforce on CBS - April 17th

DREAM 13 - March 22nd
DREAM 14 - April 24th
WEC- April 24th

I won't be able to watch the UFC event on Versus, nor WEC, due to DirecTV not carrying Versus. I also don't have Showtime, so no Strikeforce Challengers. But still... damn. What a month.

I now leave you with .gifs of Alistair Overeem abusing women and children in hilarious fashion:

289bn6u.gif

pn31h.gif

2rwm9hz.gif

34qu62x.gif

The should hold Clottey's fight purse for the way he performed, the man was pretty much a human punching bag.....he brought absolutely no offense to this fight.

[quote name='-GoodFella-']The should hold Clottey's fight purse for the way he performed, the man was pretty much a human punching bag.....he brought absolutely no offense to this fight.[/QUOTE]

+1... he really was just a human punching bag...:D

Seriously, if I wanted to see PacMan pound on a heavy bag I would visit his gym.

I just watched the WEC that was in my neck of the woods a couple weeks ago.

Here are my thoughts:

First fight was pretty good. Second fight was so even that it was a tad boring. Third fight I think Pulver is done and that tapout shirt he was wearing was awesome! Fourth fight was over quick! Fifth fight Torres was too timid and that was a nasty cut! Next fight holy shit nice kick! Bowles vs Cruz damn Cruz can stick and move, Bowles really needs to push the pace he is getting picked apart. fuck! my DVR cut out shortly before the second round ended. I check Sherdog and found out Bowles corner threw in the towel after the second due to breaking his hand on the first punch he threw and taking a ton of damage. The Bantamweight division is all over the map they need to give these guys more time to develop.

Some major shows coming up I can't wait for them! Anyone think that having Aldo vs Faber on ppv is a mistake?

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Anyone think that having Aldo vs Faber on ppv is a mistake?[/QUOTE]

No, since people with DirecTV will actually be able to see it then ;)

[quote name='evildeadjedi'] Anyone think that having Aldo vs Faber on ppv is a mistake?[/QUOTE]
its hard to gauge that from my perspective. the standard ufc fan isnt going to buy it, they probably dont know what the WEC is. though id like to see it, im not going to buy it because i dont have the spare cash.
I really dont think enough hardcore fans are going to pay for it and Those are the only fans I think have any possibility of paying for the event.

I still wish they would just fold the WEC into the UFC. The WEC fighters don't make anywhere near enough money for the awesome fights they put on, and the UFC could use some more fighters who put on great fights.

[quote name='Pavel6969']I still wish they would just fold the WEC into the UFC. The WEC fighters don't make anywhere near enough money for the awesome fights they put on, and the UFC could use some more fighters who put on great fights.[/QUOTE]

My problem with this is that if this were to occur we just wouldn't see these fighters enough. The UFC already hosts 1-2 PPV events per month, plus fight night events about once a month or so. Plus there's the weekly TUF show. That's quite a bit of air time for them right now considering they aren't on a major network.

Alot of fighters have already complained that there aren't enough events, and they just don't get to fight as often as they want to. The UFC roster is bloated....there's tons of fighters now. And although most of them deserve to be there, there are only enough fights to go around.

With the WEC and it's smaller weight classes mixed in, it would be even tougher to get airtime for all these fighters without the UFC adding a bunch more events to it's calendar. That's going to take a whole lot of financial wrangling with Spike and the other networks. They'd have to re-establish everything they already had set with the WEC as a separate entity.

Though in conclusion, my part of Texas doesn't offer comcast anyway. So without the ability to give my money to them, I'm cut off from Versus and everything that comes with it, including WEC fights. So I don't get to watch jack shit anyway.

[quote name='Pavel6969']I still wish they would just fold the WEC into the UFC. The WEC fighters don't make anywhere near enough money for the awesome fights they put on, and the UFC could use some more fighters who put on great fights.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree, they don't get paid near what they should, some of the recent WEC cards have been more exciting than what the UFC has put on. I've supplied their payouts for WEV 47 below.

Televised Card:
Dominick Cruz ($9,000+$9,000=$18,000) def. Brian Bowles ($12,000)
Joseph Benavidez ($14,500+$14,500=$29,000) def. Miguel Torres ($26,000)
Javier Vazquez ($6,000+$6,000=$12,000) def. Jens Pulver ($14,000)
LC Davis ($9,000+$9,000=$18,000) def. Deividas Taurosevicius ($9,000)
Bart Palaszewski ($6,000+$6,000=$12,000) def. Karen Darabedyan ($4,000)

Preliminary Card:
Scott Jorgensen ($8,000+$8,000=$16,000) def. Chad George ($3,000)
Chad Mendes ($4,000+$4,000=$8,000) def. Erik Koch ($3,000)
Anthony Pettis ($3,000+$3,000=$6,000) def. Danny Castillo ($9,500)
Leonard Garcia ($14,000) fought George Roop ($3,000) to a split draw
Fredson Paixao ($2,000+$2,000=$4,000) def. Courtney Buck ($3,000)
Ricardo Lamas ($5,000+$5,000=$10,000) def. Bendy Casimir ($3,000)

HT: MMA Fighting

[quote name='JoshTX']My problem with this is that if this were to occur we just wouldn't see these fighters enough. The UFC already hosts 1-2 PPV events per month, plus fight night events about once a month or so. Plus there's the weekly TUF show. That's quite a bit of air time for them right now considering they aren't on a major network.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't see them enough? You would see them on Spike, Versus and PPV. You mention the TUF shows, they could use one of the current WEC fighters as coaches.

[quote name='JoshTX']Alot of fighters have already complained that there aren't enough events, and they just don't get to fight as often as they want to. The UFC roster is bloated....there's tons of fighters now. And although most of them deserve to be there, there are only enough fights to go around. [/QUOTE]

Apparently not complaining enough, fighters like Josh Koscheck, let it be known they want to fight very often and fill in when a fighter has to drop out of his bout. UFC's Roster always gets trimmed, it's rare to see a fighter with more than two consecutive losses still with the UFC.

[quote name='JoshTX']With the WEC and it's smaller weight classes mixed in, it would be even tougher to get airtime for all these fighters without the UFC adding a bunch more events to it's calendar. That's going to take a whole lot of financial wrangling with Spike and the other networks. They'd have to re-establish everything they already had set with the WEC as a separate entity. [/QUOTE]

That's a given, the UFC would have have the ammount of shows they normally have and add at least half of what WEC has in a year, while adding 1-2 fights to each card given you more "bang for your buck".

[quote name='JoshTX']Though in conclusion, my part of Texas doesn't offer comcast anyway. So without the ability to give my money to them, I'm cut off from Versus and everything that comes with it, including WEC fights. So I don't get to watch jack shit anyway.[/QUOTE]

You would benefit from a merger, I'm assuming you get Spike, since they would have the deals with Spike and Versus still in place. I'm more upset I get screwed out of HDNet (I have Time Warner Cable).

I was just coming here to post that. Awesome news... juts in time for the UFC on Versus show.

By the way, did anyone check out the schedule of upcoming MMA events that I posted on the last page? This next month is stacked.

Just watched Inside MMA with James Toney. That guy was hit in the head one too many times. For one thing, he's nearly as incomprehensible as Joe Frazier. Secondly, he says Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquaio don't represent boxing .. he does. And finally, he's a 41 year old dude with zero ground experience and he thinks he's gonna win against a top contender? The guy is dreaming.

[quote name='Matt Young']I was just coming here to post that. Awesome news... juts in time for the UFC on Versus show.

By the way, did anyone check out the schedule of upcoming MMA events that I posted on the last page? This next month is stacked.[/QUOTE]

Yes I did lots of events! :applause:

[quote name='Maklershed']Just watched Inside MMA with James Toney. That guy was hit in the head one too many times. For one thing, he's nearly as incomprehensible as Joe Frazier. Secondly, he says Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquaio don't represent boxing .. he does. And finally, he's a 41 year old dude with zero ground experience and he thinks he's gonna win against a top contender? The guy is dreaming.[/QUOTE]

My hope is that the reason Dana signed Toney is to make an example out of him and show the old timers that MMA is a real sport and is truly the sport of fighting. As Joe Rogan has stated time and time again, "boxing is just the sport of punching". I could see putting Toney against pure stand up guys who won't try to take him down, but in my opinion, that makes MMA look bad.

Having Kimbo Slice and Brock Lesnar should be as much of a cash grab as the UFC needs...and at least those guys showed a ton of dedication in improving their MMA game. Put Toney in there against somebody with good takedowns and let him get eaten alive.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']My hope is that the reason Dana signed Toney is to make an example out of him and show the old timers that MMA is a real sport and is truly the sport of fighting. As Joe Rogan has stated time and time again, "boxing is just the sport of punching". I could see putting Toney against pure stand up guys who won't try to take him down, but in my opinion, that makes MMA look bad.

Having Kimbo Slice and Brock Lesnar should be as much of a cash grab as the UFC needs...and at least those guys showed a ton of dedication in improving their MMA game. Put Toney in there against somebody with good takedowns and let him get eaten alive.[/QUOTE]

Toney has a puncher's chance, but that's about it. He could probably fare semi-decently in the octagon against someone like Kongo, Paul Buentello, Pat Barry considering they usually try to keep fights standing. Still, he will have to be ready to eat some leg kicks.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I don't understand why Rogers gets a title shot after losing to Fedor. Where's the logic there? Also, I hope Arlovski gets his shit together.[/QUOTE]its a non-title fight.

[quote name='Matt Young']Nate, did you like the Alistair Overeem .gifs I posted? :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those were hilarious. I went and found the actual videos for both after you posted them.

[quote name='paz9x']its a non-title fight.[/QUOTE]

Ah, ok. So after not defending the belt for like 2 years, Overeem gets a tune up fight? Nice. One would think this would be to clear the way for a title shot for Fedor, but what a clusterfuck it'll be if Rogers beats Overeem. Then you'd have to give HIM an immediate rematch for the belt...but Fedor has beaten Rogers, so he'd really deserve it more. Not really liking the way Coker is handling this. But I can't wait for the next "M1 Global presents Strikeforce" show! :roll:

Yeah the Strikeforce HW hierarchy is pretty screwed up right now. Makes no sense for Overeem to come back and fight someone who just lost....especially in a non-title bout which makes it look obvious that it's a tune-up. If Fedor isn't ready because of contract disputes or whatever, then they should have scheduled Overeem Vs. Werdum for the title and Fedor could presumably face the winner. Rogers should be facing either Antonio Silva or Bobby Lashley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back