MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
WEC is being folded into the UFC at the end of the year/

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=5737833

Come next year, World Extreme Cagefighting will be no more.
Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White on Thursday announced that the WEC will merge with the UFC in 2011.
"It's time," White said during a UFC conference call. "As we continue to grow globally, we're doing enough fights to fold [the WEC] into the UFC. It's always been in the cards to grow this sport and add every weight class."
All WEC talent will be retained, White said, including the 135- and 145-pound champions. WEC featherweight titleholder Jose Aldo will be recognized as the new UFC champion, and the same will go for the winner of Dominick Cruz's title defense against Scott Jorgensen at the promotion's final event, WEC 53, in December. White also confirmed that Aldo will defend his new UFC title on Jan. 1 at UFC 125 "Resolution," though his opponent was still not set in stone.
In regard to the lighter weight classes headlining future UFC events, White was optimistic.
"[The lighter champions will be] main and co-main events. As we grow and go into new countries, you're going to see a lot of talent coming into those divisions," White said. "A lot of people haven't seen how exciting these guys are. I'd like to [eventually] have a 125-pound championship, too."
But what about the WEC lightweights? The UFC already has its own 155-pound title and a deep stable of fighters to go with it. White said he intends to fold all the WEC lightweights into the UFC talent pool, unifying the two belts with a miniature tournament of sorts.
"The winner of Ben Henderson's [Dec. 16 title defense against Anthony Pettis] will automatically face the winner of Frankie Edgar versus Gray Maynard," said White.
Maynard and Edgar will fight at UFC 125 on New Year's Day. Soon, the speculation as to how the 155-pounders from the WEC will fare in the big show will finally become reality.
"The way it works is you win fights, and you stick around. Or if you're incredibly exciting, you stick around for a while," White said. "We're looking for great fighters and exciting fighters. If you're one of those, you're going to stick around."
Also of note was White's assertion that the UFC's Octagon would not decrease in size to accommodate the smaller fighters. Additionally, White announced that the UFC just penned a new contract with Versus to air four events on the network in 2011. While technically that doubles the UFC's exposure from 2010, the loss of several WEC events on Versus actually decreases the total number of Zuffa-owned shows airing on the network.
"It's a positive. We got [more] UFC on Versus," White said. "We're not looking at it like we lost two fights [per year]. If you ask Versus, they were happy with the WEC's ratings, but the UFC is going to pull bigger ratings."
Job security is not exclusive to the WEC's fighters, White said, as the employees behind the scenes will also have their services retained. This includes WEC general manager Reed Harris and matchmaker Sean Shelby.
"Every employee from the WEC is staying with the UFC," White said. "We have so much work to do that nobody is going to be sitting around."

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I agree with this. He's going to look like James Irvin at 185, maybe worse. Marcus Davis must be grasping for some success, because if he even makes the weight he will start getting KO'd and beaten up at LW with ease. I would even take a guy like Guida to beat the tiny bit of Irish Davis has in him out of him.[/QUOTE]

the article says hes at 175 now. he has a good amount of muscle mass that he can shave, hes not naturally a big dude.

I'm a little mixed on it, but at least the announcement actually was a big one.I remember the last time Dana White was promoting a big announcement and it just turned out that one of the owner was just going to be more active in the business and didn't really make an impact either way.

I like it because it'll make the WEC people bigger stars then before, and give them increased pay and it'll also come with a TUF eventually with FW and BW I'd imagine.I would think think it would somewhat slightly increase how many fights they do a year.

On the negative side though it seems like it'll be less MMA events to watch now although I would think they'll increase more ppvs or fight nights with the extra bulk of fighters and who knows maybe add an extra preliminary bout compared to how many they normally do.

Overall a good thing though even if there is slightly less events.

Side note : Bellator finishes up its 3rd season tonight.

Makes sense since they've essentially been the same company for about 4 years now. Adding bantams and feathers to the mix will hopefully help diversify cards a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow pretty exciting stuff. I never followed WEC or Bellator but adding more fighters into the UFC is great news. I'm pretty sure Strikeforce is going to fold in the near future and get some of their big name guys into the UFC.

Definitely, good news to see the WEC guys finally getting the credit they deserve. It may mean less shows but, with the increase in fighters and divisions will mean better fights overall.

UFC 121 thoughts

Schaub keeps getting better since getting knocked out by Big Country.

Sanchez never bores me and didn't tonight great win Diego!

Shields looked like a fucking zombie and was very affected by the weight cut. Not sure why Kappman didn't keep it on the feet (Shields could barely move).

I watched last Fridays MMA live episode and they had Cain in the Sports Science lab and his stats were amazing. First, his anaerobic threshold (when he starts to develop lactic acid and fatigue) is on par with elite endurance athletes . Second, his punching power was 2230 lbs of force rating higher than any boxer they have ever measured in the lab. Third, his explosive power was 5000 watts of power and 2700 pounds of force on par with a hit they measured by Colts DE Dwight Freeney.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5714505

Cain obviously has tons of skill and athletic ability to go with it and I felt the fight would go to the second or third round and Cain would get the stoppage after Lesnar was drained.
I honestly didn't think Brock would get completely dominated and drained in the first round but, Cain has a relentless pace and proved he is the real deal. I can't wait to see Cain's next fight vs Dos Santos!

[quote name='paz9x']anybody see the fuji fight? im hearing she got robbed.[/QUOTE]

There wouldn't have much of an issue with the split decision if it weren't for that one judge scoring it 49-47 for Frausto.

Other than the Gokhan Saki fight, you didn't miss much with the Unified Glory. SRC15 on the other hand had a bunch of entertaining fights. Emomoto was a monster as usual. His stand up game is phenomenal. I wonder how he would hold up in the UFC. He reminds me of a better version of Alan Belcher.

UFC's 100 Greatest Fights has been rereleased for a much cheaper price around 30$ on DVD and 35$ on Blu-Ray compared to 80$+.Contains some of the most important and best fights minus without Tito Ortiz and Frank Shamrock(I think?).Comes with the 5 hour special they aired on Spike too I hear and sounds like the best bang for your buck if you're gonna own any mma DVD.

Edit:A
pparently its only the Blu-Ray version that includes the special they aired on TV.The plain ole dvd boxset got cut out of having it included.

I'm not as excited for Lesnar vs. Mir III as I thought I'd be if it does happen.Thinking on it now,it just seems too soon and can still do that fight down the road.Although recently reported hes wanting to fight Roy Nelson.I actually wouldn't mind him taking on Nogueria next.Both got TKOed/KOed by Cain in their last fight,although I'd have to go with Brock and couldn't see Nog being considered the fav with his age and his chin not quite looking so great anymore.Call me crazy but I could actually see Brock finishing him.It'd give him a win to build him back up too so from a promotional standpoint it would be the fight I would wanna see.

Seems Taker and Lesnar was a work
[FONT=Verdana, arial]Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

WWE sources have informed us that the original plan for the Undertaker and Brock Lesnar confrontation at UFC 121 was for it to occur backstage after the show, likely at the press conference where tons of media and cameras were. This plan, however, hinged on Brock Lesnar winning his fight - which didn't happen.

After Lesnar lost, he needed stitches and decided not to appear at the press conference as a way of giving Cain Velasquez his "moment." The Undertaker, who was invited to the event as a personal guest of UFC President Dana White (a huge Undertaker fan), waited backstage after the fight but left when it became apparent that Brock wasn't coming out for the press conference.

The video face-to-face confrontation between Lesnar and and The Undertaker turned out to be a lucky coincidence for WWE and was not what the original plan called for. The YouTube video of that confrontation has been viewed millions of times online and generated a ton of buzz last week, so things worked out just fine.
[/FONT]

Lesnar/Mir III is a set up fight if it happens, because Mir doesn't have anything to threaten Lesnar aside from a fluke submission, which is very unlikely. I think it could very well happen, but hype for the fight is dying down and Lesnar doesn't even want to fight him.

Pretty quiet thread lately.Johnathan Brookins looks like a guy that could end up winning this.Nam seemed to be picking Cody off once his gas tank ran out in the first three minutes.Having a bit more then just a really great guillotine would have been pretty helpful.Looked like a big size difference between the two.I'm guessing if Nam wins he'll be dropping down to featherweight if he can make it.So far I'm most impressed with these two and could see these being the two finalist.

WEC 52 TONIGHT :D

Preliminary Card

Main card

• Featherweight bout: Erik Koch vs. Francisco Rivera

Bahahaha, that was a great video. Sudo is very popular it seems, even post career. I don't think the ad was intentional, it was in what like Times Square so there are a ton of ads there.

I bet lil Nog by this point must be getting tired of the style match ups as of late since now hes going to face Tito Oritz,another wrestler for the 3rd time in a row.I could actually see Tito winning this fight and getting his first win in a long time and save his job.Not picking Tito just yet though but I could see it happening thanks to a match up that style wise favors him even though his cardio hasn't looked that great towards the end of the second and 3rd round as it use to.

[quote name='Magiblaze']I bet lil Nog by this point must be getting tired of the style match ups as of late since now hes going to face Tito Oritz,another wrestler for the 3rd time in a row.I could actually see Tito winning this fight and getting his first win in a long time and save his job.Not picking Tito just yet though but I could see it happening thanks to a match up that style wise favors him even though his cardio hasn't looked that great towards the end of the second and 3rd round as it use to.[/QUOTE]

Source?

Nonetheless, Lil' Nog should be able to beat him I think. Poor style match up as Diet Nog doesn't love wrestlers but Tito's shot man.

MMAJunkie and Cagepotato and I'm sure theres a few more out there now.If Tito loses this match up could be the one to finally get him fired.His chin isn't shot yet like Liddell's just if he can't wrestle em down, he isn't able to do anything else.Won't be a title contender or anything ever again, but just might be able to hold onto his job a while longer.

Should be a good test for both of them.I'd be interested in seeing the betting lines for that one.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/21370/tit...ra-on-tap-for-march-2011-possibly-ufc-128.mma

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Source?

Nonetheless, Lil' Nog should be able to beat him I think. Poor style match up as Diet Nog doesn't love wrestlers but Tito's shot man.[/QUOTE]

ive seen this on a couple sites too.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']i actually bought sudo's album a month ago. short but sweet![/QUOTE]

Yeah Mind Shift is a great song as well. The choreography, especially the latter half, is fun to watch. I normally don't bother with imports but it sounds like a short but quality album that I should pick up. Former MMA fighter/kickboxer, writer, actor, director, music artist... Sudo's a friggin' renaissance man.

Ended up doing pretty good with my picks announced for the main card, went 4-0.Karlos Vemola looked pretty impressive in his debut and very strong.Looks like he'll be someone to keep an eye on.The judging seemed a little more off then normal.Even though Ludwig clearly won round 3 I had him losing rounds 1 and 2.Had Reljic winning the first round and losing the 2nd and 3rd.The one everyone else will probably get me on is I actually somewhat scored the fight for barely Marquardt winning the first and second rounds squeezing them out by the very slightest of margins and close to 10-10,barely gave him the first just thanks to those two submission attempts and not too much happening even though they failed.Was cheering for Okami though since I'd rather see him get a title shot and I would think if the fight went on two more rounds Okami would win those too. Goodbye Kris McCray,Nick Osipczak,and Goran Reljic and possibly Andre Winner too.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Ended up doing pretty good with my picks announced for the main card, went 4-0.Karlos Vemola looked pretty impressive in his debut and very strong.Looks like he'll be someone to keep an eye on.The judging seemed a little more off then normal.Even though Ludwig clearly won round 3 I had him losing rounds 1 and 2.Had Reljic winning the first round and losing the 2nd and 3rd.The one everyone else will probably get me on is I actually somewhat scored the fight for barely Marquardt winning the first and second rounds squeezing them out by the very slightest of margins and close to 10-10,barely gave him the first just thanks to those two submission attempts and not too much happening even though they failed.Was cheering for Okami though since I'd rather see him get a title shot and I would think if the fight went on two more rounds Okami would win those too. Goodbye Kris McCray,Nick Osipczak,and Goran Reljic and possibly Andre Winner too.[/QUOTE]

it seemed like the judges properly scored takedowns, not giving someone the round based on a takedown.

That first fight was stupid last night. "Durr, I'm walking away now" deserved every single boo it got. The second fight was all right, but I wasn't interested enough to keep watching past that. I'm not really an MMA fan, though, so take my views for what you will.

[quote name='Chuplayer']That first fight was stupid last night. "Durr, I'm walking away now" deserved every single boo it got. The second fight was all right, but I wasn't interested enough to keep watching past that. I'm not really an MMA fan, though, so take my views for what you will.[/QUOTE]

there are mma dolls you could dress up to get you more into the sport.

[quote name='paz9x']there are mma dolls you could dress up to get you more into the sport.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw the ads for them while I was reading Ultimate Thor between your mom's legs.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Yeah, I saw the ads for them while I was reading Ultimate Thor between your mom's legs.[/QUOTE]

Its not surprising that a guy who plays dress-up with girl dolls employs a "your mom" reference.
I might have actually believed it if you had said you were reading, weirdos and freakish hobbies vol. 6

[quote name='billyrox']Anyone watch the Manny Pacquiao fight? that was sick too[/QUOTE]

I'm disappointed in the referee and Margarito's corner for not stopping the fight. Pacquiao was even letting up and looking at the ref by the final two rounds. I know the guy's got heart and it was almost over anyway, but he was absolutely fucked up when it went to the scorecards.

I mean
gyi0062457524.jpg
holy shit!

[quote name='paz9x']it seemed like the judges properly scored takedowns, not giving someone the round based on a takedown.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this stance mostly on judges shouldn't give it away because of a takedown or two, but if the strikes were roughly around the same power and about the same amount thrown I can perfectly see a takedown and a little gnp stealing the round away when its so closely even.The only real fight I'd argue with though is the Ludwig fight.

Ludwig keeps his job for another day.He just might wanna head back down to 155 again,although he wasn't impressive at that weightclass or anything theres a pretty big size difference with some of the UFC welterweights and him.A bit of a nice tender moment though after the fight with his interview.

Not the best night of fights but can't argue with it being free and all.

[quote name='Amblix']The card for UFC 123 is so stacked, can't wait![/QUOTE]
Its a pretty good card with the main event and co-main event. I like it but just don't feel the hype for it.Just feels like not that much of a grudge match or anything at stake too much,but should be some good fights.Karo Parisyan and Hall on the prelimary card instead of going to be a live fight on Spike.I guess its to better ensure Karo doesn't go crazy again and no shows.A little surprised though that Tyson Griffin either on the prelimary card thats going to be on Spike,but with the guy hes up against basicly killing the free prelimary card on the last event he was on I can see why but Tyson should be good enough to make this exciting and I suppose could always end up if they run short on time.

[quote name='ced']I'm disappointed in the referee and Margarito's corner for not stopping the fight. Pacquiao was even letting up and looking at the ref by the final two rounds. I know the guy's got heart and it was almost over anyway, but he was absolutely fucked up when it went to the scorecards.

I mean
gyi0062457524.jpg
holy shit![/QUOTE]
You'd think after being dominated that badly after losing all those rounds someone would just throw in the towel already.

[quote name='Magiblaze']

You'd think after being dominated that badly after losing all those rounds someone would just throw in the towel already.[/QUOTE]

Well, he told his guys not to do it. So it's on him.

i really enjoyed the fights overall. a lot of game fighters really taking it to each other.

oil check was uncomfortable for sure, and i can't believe walking away guy wasn't deducted a point for "timidity" which is a foul under the rules.

vemola looked pretty sick, but i wonder about his cardio. too many muscles usually means a smaller gas tank.

i'm pumped to see okami finally get the shot he's been waiting on for so long. japan really needs an mma feather in its cap so perhaps this is their chance?

On something of a funny note, Urijah Faber recently offered to train Brock Lesnar.Would be pretty funny to see like the smallest new UFC star training with possibly the biggest.I wouldn't mind it though as long as it'd get Lesnar to train more then the little he does now and of course might need to bring in some sparring partners especially for him since as far as I know Team Alpha Male mostly consist of smaller fighters.

Also pretty funny that members from Team Black House seem to be learning from Steven Seagal now.First Anderson Silva for the Chael Sonnel fight and now Lyoto Machida.I even remember the days of Steven Seagal talking some shit about MMA back in the day like he had some students that would end up beating Sakuarba.I could see why Anderson might have been interested in it though with the wrist control techniques against Chael,but it's been a long time since we've seen Rampage the wrestler and I doubt he'll show up Saturday night but all in all Aikdo .The story of Gene LeBell choking him out and making him shit himself though for being rough with the stuntmen and giving them low blows for no reason was pretty funny though.

[quote name='Magiblaze']On something of a funny note, Urijah Faber recently offered to train Brock Lesnar.Would be pretty funny to see like the smallest new UFC star training with possibly the biggest.I wouldn't mind it though as long as it'd get Lesnar to train more then the little he does now and of course might need to bring in some sparring partners especially for him since as far as I know Team Alpha Male.

Also pretty funny that members from Team Black House seem to be learning from Steven Seagal now.First Anderson Silva for the Chael Sonnel fight and now Lyoto Machida.I even remember the days of Steven Seagal talking some shit about MMA back in the day like he had some students that would end up beating Sakuarba.I could see why Anderson might have been interested in it though with the wrist control techniques against Chael,but it's been a long time since we've seen Rampage the wrestler and I doubt he'll show up Saturday night but all in all Aikdo .The story of Gene LeBell choking him out and making him shit himself though for being rough with the stuntmen and giving them low blows for no reason was pretty funny though.[/QUOTE]
there are a lot of half-thoughts in that post.

[quote name='paz9x']there are a lot of half-thoughts in that post.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for your opinion Walter.

TUF coming on in just a little bit with the Michael Johnson vs. Bruce Leeroy fight and Aaron Wilkson vs. Kyle Watson.

Edit responding to down there |.It happens :lol:.
v

[quote name='Magiblaze']Thank you for your opinion Walter.

TUF coming on in just a little bit with the Michael Johnson vs. Bruce Leeroy fight and Aaron Wilkson vs. Kyle Watson.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to the sentences that you didnt seem to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back