MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Dana is tweeting people to go to the B-dubs like 5 minutes from my house. I fucking tear out of work after getting out late to get over there...then halfway there he updates and says "first 25 people get a free Bud Light if you say 'give me a drink'." Then he says he's giving away a signed glove...signed by himself. Didn't even bother. That's almost as bad as when he put himself on the cover of the first issue of his magazine. Plus he's not even there, it's just something they're giving away.

On a better note - got a suite at the Palace for tomorrow night. Glad I know who I know. Gonna be awesome...haven't been to a UFC live since all the way back to UFC 9.

[quote name='KaneRobot']So Dana is tweeting people to go to the B-dubs like 5 minutes from my house. I fucking tear out of work after getting out late to get over there...then halfway there he updates and says "first 25 people get a free Bud Light if you say 'give me a drink'." Then he says he's giving away a signed glove...signed by himself. Didn't even bother. That's almost as bad as when he put himself on the cover of the first issue of his magazine. Plus he's not even there, it's just something they're giving away.

On a better note - got a suite at the Palace for tomorrow night. Glad I know who I know. Gonna be awesome...haven't been to a UFC live since all the way back to UFC 9.[/QUOTE]

Dana White is full of himself and just a garbage person. Evidently his prizes SUCKED and him giving away a signed glove signed by himself tells you what he thinks of himself.

[quote name='Magiblaze']My picks for the last episode next week

Kyle Watson vs. Jonathan Brookins
Nam Phan vs. Michael Johnson[/QUOTE]

I like nam too. I pick brookins but i wouldnt be surprised if watson pulled it out, I think people are sleeping on watson, hes a skilled dude. So is brookins obviously.
I want to see nam and either of the other semi-finalists. Im glad that they seem to have gotten the most skilled, decent guys this far.

Just going by how much more time brookins has been on camera I think he wins.

Just put my bets in. I had a hell of a time w/ this one ...

Machida beats Rampage by UD
Hughes beats Penn by SD
Harris beats Falcao by KO
Davis beats Boetsch by Choke
Sot beats Lauzon by SD

Whoo hope I don't miss all of the main card because of work tonight.

Machida > Rampage TKO
Penn > Hughes Sub
Harris > Falcao TKO
Boetsch > Davis UD
Sot > Lauzon UD

Machida beats Rampage via Decision
Hughes beats Penn via Decision
Harris beats Falcao via TKO
Davis beats Boetsch via Decision
Sotiropoulos beats Lauzon via Decision

Not really sure what we can take from BJ in that fight. Sure, he looked great, but he beat up a "past his prime" fighter. Beating Matt Hughes is not going to help Penn beat Frankie Edgar and it sure as hell isn't going to help him beat GSP. At best I guess this fight motivates BJ to train hard again, but I think the more likely outcome is that it just reinflates his ego. The reaction Penn gave after that fight really just gave me a "See! I beat Matt Hughes! I AM the best in the world!" Not really, BJ.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Not really sure what we can take from BJ in that fight. Sure, he looked great, but he beat up a "past his prime" fighter. Beating Matt Hughes is not going to help Penn beat Frankie Edgar and it sure as hell isn't going to help him beat GSP. At best I guess this fight motivates BJ to train hard again, but I think the more likely outcome is that it just reinflates his ego. The reaction Penn gave after that fight really just gave me a "See! I beat Matt Hughes! I AM the best in the world!" Not really, BJ.[/QUOTE]

i dont disagree with anything you said. I enjoy seeing an agressive motivated bj penn more than almost any other fighter.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Not really sure what we can take from BJ in that fight. Sure, he looked great, but he beat up a "past his prime" fighter. Beating Matt Hughes is not going to help Penn beat Frankie Edgar and it sure as hell isn't going to help him beat GSP. At best I guess this fight motivates BJ to train hard again, but I think the more likely outcome is that it just reinflates his ego. The reaction Penn gave after that fight really just gave me a "See! I beat Matt Hughes! I AM the best in the world!" Not really, BJ.[/QUOTE]

Idk, i don't think he is going back to LW.

Really glad to see Rampage get that win. He's still way too one dimensional, but Machida didn't do shit in those first two rounds. I'm sick of that bullshit Ed Soares "counterstrike" strategy that results in just dancing around like an idiot for most of the round (see Rd 3 of the Falcao fight...though to his credit, he had clearly earned the win by that point). It's almost worse than a lay & pray wrestler.

As always, Rampage is hilarious in the post fight interview.

Rogan: "What did you think when he hit you and took you down in that last round?"
Rampage: "I was like..DAAAAAAMN!!!"

Exactly. Penn is an ego maniac and this win and how PUMPED he was after just tells me that he is back to thinking he's the boss. Who knows, people (him?) might even blame his Edgar losses on the weight cut and saying he can't make that anymore. One thing I'm pretty sure of, Penn isn't going back to lightweight, he's staying at welterweight.

Just wait until he fights a decent guy without a completely shot chin, he's going to get owned. I still don't think he belongs at welterweight, but he's too lazy to cut to LW well enough and, frankly, can't beat guys like Maynard and Edgar who wrestle so well.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Exactly. Penn is an ego maniac and this win and how PUMPED he was after just tells me that he is back to thinking he's the boss. Who knows, people (him?) might even blame his Edgar losses on the weight cut and saying he can't make that anymore. One thing I'm pretty sure of, Penn isn't going back to lightweight, he's staying at welterweight.

Just wait until he fights a decent guy without a completely shot chin, he's going to get owned. I still don't think he belongs at welterweight, but he's too lazy to cut to LW well enough and, frankly, can't beat guys like Maynard and Edgar who wrestle so well.[/QUOTE]

It wasnt edgars wrestling that won him those fights, it was his footwork and speed. I think bj beats maynard. Edgar has his number, his style matches up well to penn's.

I'm thinking George Sotiropoulos gets a title shot with the winner of the Edgar/Maynard fight sometime in the middle of the next year barring a loss to Dennis Siver in January. He has two FotN awards in his last three outings so it seems like they should pull the trigger while the hype train is still on the rails.

[quote name='ced']I'm thinking George Sotiropoulos gets a title shot with the winner of the Edgar/Maynard fight sometime in the middle of the next year barring a loss to Dennis Siver in January. He has two FotN awards in his last three outings so it seems like they should pull the trigger while the hype train is still on the rails.[/QUOTE]

the edgar/maynard winner is scheduled to fight the henderson/pettis winner.
I think sot is close though. maybe put him in with florian or cerrone.

I think Sots just need that one more win to make it to be the #1 contender.Facing maybe Sean Sherk or the winner of Takanori Gomi and Clay Guida,preferably one from the second match up.I really see the upcoming title match for Maynard being a bad thing.He's great in 3 round fights able to pull of a decision but in a 5 round fight with his gas tank it doesn't look so good.I agree though with BJ's ego he'll probably be staying at 170 now.Hopefully he comes as prepared as he did here in future fights.

Edit: Just started looking at mmamaina and BJ is facing Jon Fitch next at 127.Should be fun but I think I'd side with Fitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
ooo bj vs fitch that should be good, i'd also side with fitch if he can get a few takedowns in but he might have some trouble with the stand up

[quote name='Amblix']Machida should have won that fight.[/QUOTE]
How? He did absolutely nothing in the first two rounds of the fight. One dominant round doesn't equal a win.

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']How? He did absolutely nothing in the first two rounds of the fight. One dominant round doesn't equal a win.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, unless you give him a 10-8 for that last round (which would STILL result in a draw), I don't see how anyone could say Machida was deserving of a win. As I said, Rampage didn't look great, but he was at least going after Machida those first two rounds, did land some clean punches and even got a couple takedowns. All Machida did was land 2-3 baby tap leg kicks. If what Machida did was his idea of "winning", then I don't want to see him on another UFC card. It's the same as Silva against Maia/Leites/Cote. Nobody wants to see that kind of fighter.

[quote name='TehSovietMudkip']ooo bj vs fitch that should be good, i'd also side with fitch if he can get a few takedowns in but he might have some trouble with the stand up[/QUOTE]

Fitch will destroy Penn. He can beat him on the feet with his kicks, and Penn will not be able to stop Fitch's takedown attempts. Plus, when Penn gasses he will be taking a hard beating.

[quote name='paz9x']It wasnt edgars wrestling that won him those fights, it was his footwork and speed. I think bj beats maynard. Edgar has his number, his style matches up well to penn's.[/QUOTE]

Edgar's wrestling won him the second fight, the first fight not so much. Maynard beats Penn for that reason, the wrestling. He would move, potshot, shoot and get Penn down and BJ's terrible off his back.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Fitch will destroy Penn. He can beat him on the feet with his kicks, and Penn will not be able to stop Fitch's takedown attempts. Plus, when Penn gasses he will be taking a hard beating.[/QUOTE] The fight will hinge on fitch's ability to secure the takedown. his top game isnt close to gsp's and hes not dangerous on his feet. Id be surprised if fitch wasnt the favorite.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Edgar's wrestling won him the second fight, the first fight not so much. Maynard beats Penn for that reason, the wrestling. He would move, potshot, shoot and get Penn down and BJ's terrible off his back.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with your opinion on maynard's abilities and how he would implement them against penn.
maynard isnt nearly as quick as edgar and doesnt have the footwork to fight penn the way edgar did.
the only way maynard beats penn is by gaining top position and controlling him. basically he isnt capable of fighting penn like edgar did.

Also, edgars wrestling wasnt nearly the factor his speed and footwork were in either fight. he may have scored with more takedowns in the second fight but it was due to those two things more than his wrestling. You could argue that those things are what made his wrestling work though.

also, penn is not terrible off his back. thats silly.

the fitch fight will be a good one. id rather see penn fight koscheck as i think theyd mix it up on the feet more.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']penn is pretty terrible off his back, dogg. i don't know how you can look at his record and not see that.[/QUOTE]
records dont do much in telling me what a fighter is capable of in a specific position.
its not like he gets pounded out from the top all the time or sits in guard for a whole round.

[quote name='blueweltall']Penn is only terrible on his back when he is fighting GSP.[/QUOTE]
its not as much him being terrible as it is gsp having an outstanding top-game. the guy is the best fighter in the world IMO he makes everyone look terrible in every position.

[quote name='paz9x']
also, penn is not terrible off his back. thats silly.[/QUOTE]

Yes, BJ Penn is in fact terrible off his back. He doesn't sub anyone off his back. I would easily compare him and Kenny Florian when it comes to BJJ off their back. Penn is better then KenFlo off his back, but not by a whole lot. Penn is a guy who submits people with Rear Naked Chokes and other top position submissions, you don't see him subbing people off his back really ever.

And before you bring up his BJJ credentials and all that, the thing that people don't understand is that BJJ competitions is a LOT different from real MMA.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Yes, BJ Penn is in fact terrible off his back. He doesn't sub anyone off his back. I would easily compare him and Kenny Florian when it comes to BJJ off their back. Penn is better then KenFlo off his back, but not by a whole lot. Penn is a guy who submits people with Rear Naked Chokes and other top position submissions, you don't see him subbing people off his back really ever.

And before you bring up his BJJ credentials and all that, the thing that people don't understand is that BJJ competitions is a LOT different from real MMA.[/QUOTE]
because he doesnt sub people off his back he is terrible? does he fight from his back often? do you see him get put on his back often and stay there? saying hes not as dangerous off his back as maia for example is fine, but saying hes terrible is just incorrect.

his transitions are pretty damn good. he gets to peoples backs for a reason, its a very dominant position.
as far as competitive bjj, yeah of course its not the same as mma, theyre different sports.

"Karo came in here tonight and proved he can't compete at this level anymore." - Dana

Bummer. I always liked that guy, even though he did come across as a colossal dick.

Also, my favorite fight of the night was Barboza vs Lullo. I love seeing a really good muay tai fighter. I'm endlessly impressed by them.

[quote name='Maklershed']"Karo came in here tonight and proved he can't compete at this level anymore." - Dana

Bummer. I always liked that guy, even though he did come across as a colossal dick.[/QUOTE]

He hasn't recovered since the back injury. Tried to come back early, got busted for painkillers against Stun Gun and it's gone downhill from there. I'm actually a little surprised Dana let Karo back in after he dropped last second against Dustin Hazelett.

Its really sad to see whats happened to Karo these days when he use to be a top welterweight.He was always a bit lazy when it came to training but he had enough talent to stay up there with the best but now its just crazy, he looked so flabby and out of shape in the fight with Hallman being noticeably smaller and more plushly.Just some real bad mental issues and I don't think he'll ever recover from it.Would have been nice to see him have that one match with Matt Hughes before all of this started going down.

A Fedor and a Diaz fight on the same card? That would be phenomenal ..

[VIA MMAjunkie]

If trainer Cesar Gracie gets his way, Strikeforce welterweight champion and prized pupil Nick Diaz (23-7 MMA, 4-0 SF) finally will meet Jason "Mayhem" Miller (24-7 MMA, 1-1 SF) in early 2011.

The goal is for the fight to take place at a currently unannounced Jan. 29 Strikeforce event at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

But as Gracie told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) on Monday, the champ won't move up a weight class to get the fight booked.

"I was talking to Strikeforce a little bit about it today," said Gracie, a finalist for "Trainer of the Year" in the 2010 World MMA Awards. "No opponent has been named or anything. But he's going to fight on that date, and hopefully Fedor (Emelianenko) will be part of it too. It could be a really exciting time."

I just read about Aldo withdrawing from UFC 125 due to an injury.

fuck, the preliminary card is as good, if not better, than the main card.

Its even tougher to stay in the UFC these days with the WEC merger.Gerald Harris is now fired after suffering his first UFC loss bringing his UFC record to 3-1 and snapping a 10 fight win streak.I know the 3rd round especially sucked but jee... not even one more fight for a chance at redemption?

[quote name='Magiblaze']Its even tougher to stay in the UFC these days with the WEC merger.Gerald Harris is now fired after suffering his first UFC loss bringing his UFC record to 3-1 and snapping a 10 fight win streak.I know the 3rd round especially sucked but jee... not even one more fight for a chance at redemption?[/QUOTE]

I think thats a little hasty on the part of UFC management. The guy had won his previous 3 fights (10 if you count other organizations) and had 2 knockouts of the night in those 3 outings. I think it wouldn't have hurt to keep him around for one more fight.

[quote name='Maklershed']I think thats a little hasty on the part of UFC management. The guy had won his previous 3 fights (10 if you count other organizations) and had 2 knockouts of the night in those 3 outings. I think it wouldn't have hurt to keep him around for one more fight.[/QUOTE]

IMO it was something other than simply losing his last fight.

I agree with paz; there has to be something we're not seeing. I can only suspect Harris said the wrong thing to the wrong person.

Poor Nam Phan, getting caught whacking off in the shower by a bunch pranksters including his teammates before the fight.

Edit: I had it 29-28 Nam Phan,seems like he got a little screwed over by the judges but I suppose thats what happens when you leave it to the judges in a close fight.

Picks for TUF Finale

Leonard Garcia vs. Nam Phan
Johny Hendricks vs. Rick Story
Kendall Grove vs. Demian Maia
Stephan Bonnar vs. Igor Pokrajac
Jonathan Brookins vs. Michael Johnson

Great looking card for tonight. I always love to see Garcia fight. And words can't express how happy I am that Johnny Hendricks is finally going to get some exposure. Highly underrated fighter.

Unrelated: What's the over/under on how many times Mike Goldberg references Michael Johnson and Jonathan Brookins being friends?

EDIT: I just noticed Will Campuzano is fighting in the prelims. I hope that gets televised at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back