MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

Hopefully Dillishaw can beat him again.  Not sure how Dillishaw is getting so lucky with neither fight being in Brazil.

Kind of the opposite of Mendez who somehow now has to fight in Brazil thanks to his opponent getting injured AND having to fight Aldo there the first time.

I think theres something to be said for jones being the champ and cormier being the challenger regarding the fighting injured. Challengers are looking for their shot, theyre less likely to miss a potential title fight due to certain injuries. jones has everything to lose.

The only champ I sorta have issue with gettign injured is aldo, it feels like every other fight hes scheduled gets cancelled due to injury.

Im a big cormier fan, probably more has a person than a fighter and id love to see him holding a belt, I just dont see how he beats jones. 

The idea the jones is scared is straight ridiculous, I dont like him but he is without much debate the best fighter right now and up their in the goat conversation.

Wow...that's crazy. Barao screwed up his weight cut. Unless he had the flu or something, he better not get "another" rematch after this one. Let Dillasahw have a real title defense already.

Also, Dana White made a new vlog the other day with behind the scenes stuff from UFC 175 and it is incredible. Shows how bad Uriah Hall was hurt after the fight. It also shows Dana's reaction to Joe Rogan relaying the truck's request to have Ronda Rousey fight again on two weeks notice (and what he actually says to Ronda and Joe on the spot).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtiTh9dedHw

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...that's crazy. Barao screwed up his weight cut. Unless he had the flu or something, he better not get "another" rematch after this one. Let Dillasahw have a real title defense already.

Also, Dana White made a new vlog the other day with behind the scenes stuff from UFC 175 and it is incredible. Shows how bad Uriah Hall was hurt after the fight. It also shows Dana's reaction to Joe Rogan relaying the truck's request to have Ronda Rousey fight again on two weeks notice (and what he actually says to Ronda and Joe on the spot).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtiTh9dedHw
Damn dude, thanks for sharing. I probably would have missed this if you wouldn't have posted it. How often are things like this posted, this was really cool.

I had forgotten about that Uriah Hall fight, but damn. I think people were (rightfully) questioning his heart and his desire to fight. Then he goes out and finishes a 3 round fight like that, winning the fight, and knowing that one of the other fights on the card was a last minute scratch and that PPV buyers were already being short-changed a fight.

Then how about Mitrione and Struve. Struve had been battling back for a year against things that were beyond his control just so he could get back in the octagon again, just to get scratched at the absolute last minute. No doubt he's being overwhelmed by emotion. And Mitrione, he got himself in some hot water right before this but damn if he isn't aware of what's going on. One of his absolute first comments is "thank god it [Struve passing out or worse] didn't happen during the fight, that would fucking suck!" realizing how devastating that would be for the UFC, him, and fans watching for something like that to happen live in the octagon. The he asks if he can go visit the dude who, minutes before, his only intentions were beating the shit out of. Visits him and tries his best to cheer Struve up and let him know everything is alright.

Really awesome video, the kind of stuff we really don't get to see from any sport.

Yeah, I have no idea how often those are made. That was the first one I've seen (saw it linked in an article talking about Barao being out). But yeah...that video was amazing. That was like "Talking Dead" for UFC fans, lol. I was like "Holy shit...I want to see all this behind the scenes stuff all the time!!! :whee:" haha. That's like the kind of stuff you see on an HBO special or something.

It's crazy when you think about articles that were written that just speculated about all this stuff (Ronda's hand, Dana being mad at Joe, etc). Then it's like...oh, or you can just watch this video and see what actually happened, lol. And yeah, seeing Mitrione's reaction was pretty great. Made me like him a lot more (and I couldn't stand him on TUF). For some reason...he's starting to remind me of Chris Pratt, haha.

I'd love to see a video like this for every PPV though. Such a cool thing for fans to get to see.

Missed the Man U game, doesn't sound like it was overly exciting.

Sweet ass goal from Stoke just now.  Goalie did a poor job but awesome none the less.

He used to make one or two for every PPV. Hasn't been doing as many lately since they have the embedded series and they have been doing way more fights. He usually did one before a fight card and then one after if I recall correctly.

I'm really getting a kick out of how carefully Mike Goldberg is pronouncing Bethe Correia's name. "Betch Coheya", lol. What a betch...

Meanwhile, Joe sounds like he's saying "bitch" every time, lol.

Correia's not bad...but I'll tell ya, Bazler and Duke are no freaking Ronda Rousey. Bazler represents the Frank Mir days of women's MMA, lol. Yeah, she was good...back when everybody else sucked. And Duke is just terrible. She's not a fighter. Ronda's not going to just stand there and let her tee off. Ronda also wouldn't have let her slip out of that submission in the 1st round.

Man...Danny Castillo's perception of what happened in that fight is unreal. "I was throwing bombs", "I was touching him up with my boxing", "I was trying to finish". No, no , and no, lol. I get the "I held a grown man down" argument...but this is a sport...based on points. Why should your refusal to actually fight be worth any points? I have a great respect for high level wrestling. But come on. At least grind your forearm into his face or something. Don't just put your head on his chest and take a nap, haha.

Good result.  Dillishaw gets the finish, Soto comes off looking like a class act putting up a really decent fight all things considered.

WOOOO!!! TJ beasting in the 5th round again! Damn...I was a little nervous with how wild he started off. But once he settled in and just unloaded that barrage on Soto, the guy had no chance. TJ fights like an online ranked match in EA UFC, lol. 8,000 strikes thrown.

That fight probably went about as good as it could have for him. Not a perfect fight like the Barao fight...but I agree with Mike Goldberg. All the pressure was on him. Soto might have had anxiety...but he didn't have any pressure. He had nothing to lose. If TJ lost that fight, people would have just totally written him off as a fluke. Good for him to get the finish. :)

I didn't watch since I wasn't really interested in anything but the main event, and that interest was lessened with Barao out. Regardless of opponent, I wanted Dillashaw to win, so that turned out fine.

Turned out to be a decent event even with Barao out. There doesn't seem to be any major fights any time soon. I'm not all that interested in DJ vs Cariaso. Maybe the Mayweather fight but not a huge boxing fan.

I'm really getting a kick out of how carefully Mike Goldberg is pronouncing Bethe Correia's name. "Betch Coheya", lol. What a betch...

Meanwhile, Joe sounds like he's saying "bitch" every time, lol.

Correia's not bad...but I'll tell ya, Bazler and Duke are no freaking Ronda Rousey. Bazler represents the Frank Mir days of women's MMA, lol. Yeah, she was good...back when everybody else sucked. And Duke is just terrible. She's not a fighter. Ronda's not going to just stand there and let her tee off. Ronda also wouldn't have let her slip out of that submission in the 1st round.
Completely agree, Correia won't stand a chance against Rousey. Yea sure, she beat Duke and Bazler but neither was very impressive. Some might say the Bazler fight was good but she wasn't doing anything at all and Correia still too long to put her away. Imo both of them were saved by the ref

So, War Machine IS being charged with attempted murder. So much for that "self-defense" argument. What a damned idiot. I mean, he's more than an idiot for committing the crime. But to think he could actually justify it is a whole other level.

O...M...G....this is almost better than The Fappening, lol. Sooo, apparently, Ronda Rousey used to be a moderator on a Pokemon forum when she was 16.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/9/3/6102133/ronda-rousey-pokemon-forum-moderator

2AXpsSG.png

Haha, more Ronda discussing Pokemon and video games (if you can tolerate Tommy Toe Hold at all).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQphMamfkl0&list=UUhILe0IlOjBx5tzXkKJyDYw

As great of a fighter as Fedor was...he sure is a mental midget.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/ddYGQ?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mma

Sure, the UFC's Heavyweight division isn't great...but refusing to acknowledge the other divisions simply because they're smaller than him is asinine.

I also love the "UFC didn't want me to fight there" line. GTFO of here with that nonsense. Fedor, you had a horribly shitty management team (that he's now a major player in, haha) that would only make deals if they could rape the promotion for half of their profit. That's why they "didn't want you to fight". He actually says the UFC offered unacceptable conditions. What a delusional fucktard.

Does anybody even give a shit about M-1 Challenge? Their champion (Marcin Tybura) is a guy who's beating guys who are fighting the likes of Jeff Monson, Bob Sapp, Valentijn Overeem, and Fedor's little brother, lol. Super impressive. Let's bring him to the UFC and see what happens.

Hey hey hey - let's not throw Jeff Monson in the same category as Bob Sapp. He is on having some hard days, but still nothing like the Sapp.

Fedor's management really mucked up what could've been some huge fights. I still do miss the excitement before and during a Fedor fight.

I was very happy to see Arlovoski get the win last weekend. I haven't been impressed with Bigfoot, but still thought he would eventually pressure and catch Arlovski. Hopefully the Hunt vs. Nelson fight goes a little longer. I think Hunt has this due to better cardio. Nelson becomes a punching bag starting the 2nd round where as Hunt can still hang in as seen in his Bigfoot, JDS, and Struve fights.

Hopefully Rin Nakai beats Tate so we can see more and more weird fetishy stuff from her on a way to a title elimator and maybe a Rousey fight. Nakai is completely unproven though, but just for the heck of it I'm going for Nakai.

Hey hey hey - let's not throw Jeff Monson in the same category as Bob Sapp. He is on having some hard days, but still nothing like the Sapp.

Fedor's management really mucked up what could've been some huge fights. I still do miss the excitement before and during a Fedor fight.

I was very happy to see Arlovoski get the win last weekend. I haven't been impressed with Bigfoot, but still thought he would eventually pressure and catch Arlovski. Hopefully the Hunt vs. Nelson fight goes a little longer. I think Hunt has this due to better cardio. Nelson becomes a punching bag starting the 2nd round where as Hunt can still hang in as seen in his Bigfoot, JDS, and Struve fights.

Hopefully Rin Nakai beats Tate so we can see more and more weird fetishy stuff from her on a way to a title elimator and maybe a Rousey fight. Nakai is completely unproven though, but just for the heck of it I'm going for Nakai.
Hahaha, well you know what I mean though. Monson is old as dirt. How impressive can you be if the biggest name on your list is a 43 year old, 5'9" heavyweight? lol. I'm just saying, if Fedor thinks the UFC only has "a couple" interesting fighters, what in the hell does the company he's part owner of have?

The best comment I saw on that article though was this:

Oh, man. I wish I could go back in time. I'd take state.

hqdefault.jpg
That's exactly what it feels like, haha. That Fedor/Lesnar fight in Cowboy Stadium would have been the most ridiculous shit ever. He'd still be counting his money from that fight.

Damn - I was all aboard the Rumble Hype Train ready for him to fight Gus and then lose to Jones.  He really impressed me against Phil Davis.

I'm gonna have to set an alarm to wake up tonight to watch Rin Nakai. I know 9 times out of 10 she will get trounced, but I'm hoping for a strong showing. Maybe she'll show up in a bunny outfit again and flex those Hulk Hogan biceps lol.

Looks like Anthony Johnson is going to be in trouble.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-Indefinitely-Suspends-Light-Heavyweight-Contender-Anthony-Johnson-74179

We don't know the complete story right now but what's with these athlete's beating on their woman?
Ehh...something just feels off about that story. So far, it's allegations...assumptions about his friends...and an incident that allegedly happened two years ago. Seems a little convenient to be coming forward now when he's making a lot of money again.

I get that Rumble has a history of domestic violence...and I'm not saying he's innocent, but this is exactly the kind of stuff women could use to extort their exes/boyfriends/husbands. It definitely puts the UFC in a tough spot though because they can't keep promoting the guy. But at the same time, it gives these women a lot of power.

I can't believe Nike cut ties with Jon Jones just because of the incident with Cormier. I feel like he can thank Adrian Peterson for that one...as it seems like just a blanket knee-jerk reaction toward any athlete with bad press. Jones is a fighter...who got into a scuffle with the guy he's scheduled to fight. I get that the UFC wants to discourage it...but it really wasn't that bad...and it's not the first time it's ever happened.

And yet...Nike kept Kobe Bryant and Tiger Woods...

It's also bullshit that the NSAC gave Jones a more harsh punishment. I'm pretty sure that if Cormier hadn't shoved Jones in the throat, nothing would have happened. Takes two to tango...and the forehead to forehead thing happens almost every freaking PPV. I really hope Jones smashes DC now. Break his arm or something so he has to sit out and lose some money too.

Looks like the Rousey - Carano fight is almost definitely not happening. To me, it's starting to just look like a publicity stunt to get Gina some buzz off of Ronda's name. Sure, Ronda has taken movie deals in between fights...but she's at the top of her game, actively fighting, and staying in peak fighting shape.

Gina hasn't fought in 5 years...and now thinks she can shoot movies while re-learning MMA. The fight was already going to be little more than a circus. Now, it would be a complete joke. Just give them tank tops, boxer shorts, and two pillows already. You'll still do the same PPV numbers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2211441-dana-white-gina-carano-is-the-hardest-f-athlete-weve-ever-dealt-with?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mma

Although, it is also amusing that Dana seems to forget dealing with Fedor's managers in all of this. I guess Hollywood Agents > Ruffian Mafia, lol. :lol:

That takedown looked strong too. Kind of weird that Mizugaki kept his left arm down propping himself up as he was just eating punches to the face. I guess maybe he was just that out of it, but damn...it looked stupid, lol.

I kind of hope Cat Zingano gets an impressive win so we can forget about this Gina Carano/Cyborg nonsense for a little while. Give Ronda a real fight against an opponent who has earned it.

EDIT - I'll take it. Looks like she had a little ring rust in the 1st, but once she figured out how easily she could take Nunes down, it wasn't even close.

Zingano deserves that title shot more than Correia, Carano, etc. Ronda seemed to know she deserves it too with the way she was smiling when Cat was talking about it. Zingano seems to be one of the few female fighters that Ronda actually likes too, haha.

Zingano deserves that title shot more than Correia, Carano, etc. Ronda seemed to know she deserves it too with the way she was smiling when Cat was talking about it. Zingano seems to be one of the few female fighters that Ronda actually likes too, haha.
Rousey has said several times that she hopes she and Zingano will fight soon since Cat never got her shot after TUF.

She even tweeted thiis earlier today:

http://instagram.com/p/tdRm__hEev/

Wow...that's some cheap bullshit on that Romero win. He couldn't even get off the damn stool and gets an extra 25 seconds to recover. MMA needs a rule for that. There should be an immediate 5 count or something if you're not ready. Not "Hey come on... Come on! ....let's go!" That was XBL douchebag bullshit.

Holy shit! McGregor hits hard! He just wilted Poirier. And Poirier is contesting the stoppage, lol. If you're not out, why are you laying on your face with both hands on the mat? Do you need Chris Tucker to run up and tell you what happened? haha

lol...Joe Rogan is trying so hard not to call Cerrone a dumbass. You destroy the guy's leg to the point that he can't even stand...and then you jump on top of him and let him ride out to a decision. He could have just let McCarthy make Alvarez stand back up, land one more leg kick and the fight would have been stopped. Cerrone is good...but he's too dumb to be a champion.

Dana announced during the post fight that Cruz is getting the next shot at Dillashaw.  No date planned yet.  He also said that right now the plan is Zingano - Rousey in January at Jones vs Cormier.

Wow...that's some cheap bullshit on that Romero win. He couldn't even get off the damn stool and gets an extra 25 seconds to recover. MMA needs a rule for that. There should be an immediate 5 count or something if you're not ready. Not "Hey come on... Come on! ....let's go!" That was XBL douchebag bullshit.
That was some serious BS on his part. Why was he allowed to sit there and not even look like he was ready to get up?! I thought his apology was fake as all hell. He was lucky as shit the bell went off.

Shouldn't Barao be getting his rematch with TJ? Barao had to drop due to his illness, it wasn't like he got beat again. Even though Cruz had a fantastic performance, I think he should get another fighter before a title shot.

Dana said Barao isnt getting another shot right away. Most fans werent overly happy with the instant rematch in the first place. Plus Dana probably isnt overly happy with Barao dropping out of the figgt that late, regardless of what the reason was.

I do think Cruz should have to fight once more before he gets a title shot though, but not like that weight class is terribly deep. Though Id love to see him fight faber again.

I never heard that Barao had an illness. Everything I've read said he missed weight due to poor nutrition. If the guy was legitimately sick, I think the UFC would have been a lot more sympathetic than if he just botched his weight cut. And since many people questioned if that's too much weight for him to cut, that doesn't seem to be the case.

On top of that, I think the logic is that Barao technically never should have been champion...so he really doesn't have a whole lot of claim here. Cruz never lost and dominated the #5 guy in his return. Even the other guy they were considering for the shot, Raphael Assuncao, is fighting Bryan Caraway next...a fighter who is ranked lower than Mizugaki was. So, even if he wins...it probably won't be as impressive.

Another interesting thing to note...the talk of last night's card being one of the "most stacked" cards in a long time...out of the 11 fights on the card, only 1 was above 170lbs. I'm really starting to feel like MMA is evolving beyond what those larger bodies can bring to it.

Sure, you'll have exceptions every once in a while (Jon Jones, Cain Velasquez, etc). But for the most part...the techniques and endurance the smaller fighters bring is just unmatched. It seems like people are starting to recognize that...even if they don't realize the reason for it, haha.

Benson Henderson's coach is saying Bendo wants to have one more fight at 155 then move to 170.

n8 you've been saying Benson needs a change in styles and/or gyms, I'm not sure this is the change you've been talking about.

Yikes...yeah, I don't know if that's a good move for him. He's already not known as a finisher...and now he's going to be facing much bigger guys...some of them who do finish. I would have much rather seen him go to Team Alpha Male...or to Jackson-Wink...and just stay at 155. Unless he's having trouble making the weight, I really don't think that was the reason for his fall off.

Haha, yep. I just don't see him growing as a fighter. He sounds like Chael Sonnen or Dan Henderson. Guys that moved up in weight because they were old and their bodies couldn't do it anymore (still not sure if Dan can even make 185 now).

That quote basically translates to "I want to make my camps easier because I'm not sure how much longer I feel like doing this." Kinda sad. He was having a blast when he was beating Frankie Edgar. Now, it gets a little tough and he's ready to bail? What a waste of potential.

Haha, yep. I just don't see him growing as a fighter. He sounds like Chael Sonnen or Dan Henderson. Guys that moved up in weight because they were old and their bodies couldn't do it anymore (still not sure if Dan can even make 185 now).

That quote basically translates to "I want to make my camps easier because I'm not sure how much longer I feel like doing this." Kinda sad. He was having a blast when he was beating Frankie Edgar. Now, it gets a little tough and he's ready to bail? What a waste of potential.
Cutting weight is a pretty difficult thing - and people react to it very differently. Maybe he is drained come fight time and would be that much more aggressive if he didn't have to spend so much time having to severely dehydrate himself.

How much weight does he cut? He looks like a pretty huge lightweight. Maybe he is at that point of diminshing returns with the weight cut.

Of course it could be the other way to, and he is just tired of the sport and ready to hang it up and do grappling or something.

I don't understand why he wants one more LW fight.  I know he's coming off a loss, but if you're going to move up, just move up.

Him and Cerrone would be an awesome farewell fight for Benson at 155 though.  I'm sure they could get the going by December.

bread's done
Back