MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

I don't understand why he wants one more LW fight. I know he's coming off a loss, but if you're going to move up, just move up.

Him and Cerrone would be an awesome farewell fight for Benson at 155 though. I'm sure they could get the going by December.
They probably wouldn't want Benson to destroy the hype around Cerrone right now. Maybe they can give him Alvarez since I'm not sure what they will do with him now. It could be someone who should potentially try to move down against someone who wants to go up. It will be a flashback to the Frankie fights.

Oh, man. This was actually really funny. The Romero and Cerrone bits in particular. And the McGregor part is just outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLWitdxfzDc&list=UUhILe0IlOjBx5tzXkKJyDYw

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ggAkORB4o&list=UUYsccWrD_6uRxWq3_L8ZWRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbzSOqWw_mE&list=UUYsccWrD_6uRxWq3_L8ZWRA

http://www.ufc.com/news/cain-velasquez-injured-fabricio-werdum-vs-mark-hunt-new-ufc-180-main-event

Surprise, surprise. Cain Velasquez is hurt, and now Mark Hunt will face Fabricio Werdum. Thank God it is for an interim title though. Kind of sad when Werdum vs Hunt is a title fight though. I feel like you could plug in any two gatekeepers in the heavyweight division and have the same fight.

Seriously, all the talk of Brock Lesnar coming back is such a joke...but the rest of the division is making it viable. Brock still sucks and we know he doesn't like getting hit in the face, but part of me wonders how he'd fare against guys like Roy Nelson or Hunt or Travis Browne or Arlovski...or even Overeem again. fucking Velasquez, though, man. Dude fights once every two years.

http://www.ufc.com/news/cain-velasquez-injured-fabricio-werdum-vs-mark-hunt-new-ufc-180-main-event

Surprise, surprise. Cain Velasquez is hurt, and now Mark Hunt will face Fabricio Werdum. Thank God it is for an interim title though. Kind of sad when Werdum vs Hunt is a title fight though. I feel like you could plug in any two gatekeepers in the heavyweight division and have the same fight.

Seriously, all the talk of Brock Lesnar coming back is such a joke...but the rest of the division is making it viable. Brock still sucks and we know he doesn't like getting hit in the face, but part of me wonders how he'd fare against guys like Roy Nelson or Hunt or Travis Browne or Arlovski...or even Overeem again. fucking Velasquez, though, man. Dude fights once every two years.
I was looking forward to that fight >=l

Ugh.  I'd say take his belt away completely, but it's the one weight class where there isn't really another deserving fighter.  So who cares about the heavyweight title.

I'm not a huge fan of fan of Cain personality wise (much rather listen to Werdum, Barnett, Hunt, Overeem, JDS and even dancing Rothwell) but every fight he is in is brutal. Either he destroys them quickly (like Bigfoot) or takes a few years of his opponent's life (JDS), but damn he barely fights.

He's only fought the same 2 guys since November 2011, and a year before that was Brock to win the belt. At this rate he'll have maybe 4 or 5 more fights before he retires.

On the actual fight. I love watching Hunt (and the weirdness that follows him around online), but he is going to be heavy underdog against Werdum. If Werdum works for a take down then it will be all over. Hunt has improved alot, but even Roy got him down for a minute. If Wedum gets on top of him there will be no getting back up.

I'm not a huge fan of fan of Cain personality wise (much rather listen to Werdum, Barnett, Hunt, Overeem, JDS and even dancing Rothwell) but every fight he is in is brutal. Either he destroys them quickly (like Bigfoot) or takes a few years of his opponent's life (JDS), but damn he barely fights.

He's only fought the same 2 guys since November 2011, and a year before that was Brock to win the belt. At this rate he'll have maybe 4 or 5 more fights before he retires.

On the actual fight. I love watching Hunt (and the weirdness that follows him around online), but he is going to be heavy underdog against Werdum. If Werdum works for a take down then it will be all over. Hunt has improved alot, but even Roy got him down for a minute. If Wedum gets on top of him there will be no getting back up.
Agree with all of this. I actually looked at Cain's fights on Sherdog...and yeah, my "fights every two years" comment was an exagerration. But it probably does feel like it because he's been fighting the same people. And it doesn't help that he's been getting injured while winning a fight. I will be pulling for Werdum in this one though. I always enjoy watching him in the post fight press conferences. He seems like a legitimately nice and funny guy.

I also found Jose Aldo's whining about fighter pay amusing. I get that not all fighters are properly compensated...but for a champion of his stature, he has every opportunity in the world to make big money. But I'm sorry, he's going to actually have to work for it. Jon Jones, GSP, and Ronda Rousey have no problem making an absurd amount of money.

Why? Because they talk, smile, and people find them interesting...and therefore their fights do HUGE PPV buys. Should you just be compensated based on your record and the merit of your fights? Maybe. But that's not the world we live in. Even in "regular jobs", the hardest working people rarely get paid the most. Cry me a damn river, Jose.

I also found Jose Aldo's whining about fighter pay amusing. I get that not all fighters are properly compensated...but for a champion of his stature, he has every opportunity in the world to make big money.
Jose should take a lesson from Uncle Chael. He needs to sell himself and probably learn a little bit of English. Also doesn't help that it seems he has been coasting in some of his fights. I'd have to rewatch, but I personally thought he loss the Frankie Edgar fight. Also the way he acted when the Korean Zombie tore his shoulder didn't really impress me. He was of course winning the fight but watching him jump onto the cage and flex after KZ injured himself throwing a punch seemed kind of stupid.

Aldo needs somesort of personality. To get people excited you need something. Its the same way in boxing. It doesn't have to be the brass personality of Rampage, Floyd Mayweather, or Chael, but just something. GSP and JDS seem like the goody goodies. Fedor was the cyborg. Silva, Jones and McGregor are the cocky guys. And all the rest of the big money makers have something abut them. Honestly when I think of Jose Aldo, I just get a blank. No personality, no excitement, nothing.

As for the Wedum vs. Hunt, I could see this going bad only two ways. Hunt doesn't have enough time to cut weight or Wedum does the same thing he did against Overeem. Hunt was complaining about how hard the cut was vs Nelson on facebook and twitter and now he has to do it again with only a few weeks notice. This could get ugly if he just been hanging out since KO'ing Roy. Imagine if Werdum strokes out and does the Overeem gameplan again where he just lays on his back for most of the fight. That was one of the biggest let downs I've ever seen live. (Though seeing BJ Penn get destroyed in July was pretty close)..

Good ol foreign judging.

Two judges score it 30-27 for Darren Elkins

The other judge scores it 30-27 for Lucas Martins

I won't even call that an impressive fight from Elkins, but aside from a few strikes, he neutralized anything that Martins had. Yeah, he kept holding Martins against the cage...but when the guy just stands there and then moves straight backward when you throw a jab, it makes it ridiculously easy. If you suck too much to know to circle and get your damn back off the cage then you deserve to lose. But hey, he's Brazilian. So, he must have won 30-27.  :roll:

And as usual, Sherdog had it scored way more accurately. One of their guys gave Elkins all 3 rounds (not inconceivable considering the control he still maintained in the 3rd...despite those big knees that landed). But the other two judges gave Martins that 3rd round to give Elkins a 29-28 win. That's a realistic grouping of scores.

Wow...I would not have predicted Phil Davis dominating Glover Teixeira in a million years. Kudos to him for a great fight strategy though.

Annnnd then he ruins it by calling out Anderson Silva instead of asking for a fight that will move him into position to fight for the title. Just don't let Phil Davis talk...ever, lol. Good God.

lmao...Aldo is such a prick.

Brian Stann - "Did you know when you rocked him at the end of round one, it was after the buzzer?"

Aldo - "I knew the opportunity to hurt him would come...so when I saw that opportunity, I took it."

Granted, the translator could have done a shitty job paraphrasing the question. Some of the earlier interviews were cracking me up. The fighter would speak for like 2 minutes and say about 200 words, and the translator would be like "I had a good fight. Thank you to my opponent." lol.

Good to see fighters working those Judo skills. A lot of times I see myself watching them in the clinch and I'm screaming inside my head for one of them to wrap their leg around the other guys and take them down!

Omg three judges give also 4-1 I think that's a bit fishy since it was in Brazil... I am not a Chad Mendes fan but I felt he could have easily won 2 rounds and one questio enable. I felt the decision should have been split but man that unanimous decision was ridiculous

Omg three judges give also 4-1 I think that's a bit fishy since it was in Brazil... I am not a Chad Mendes fan but I felt he could have easily won 2 rounds and one questio enable. I felt the decision should have been split but man that unanimous decision was ridiculous
Sherdog's judges had it split. All scored it 48-47...two of them for Aldo, and one actually giving the win to Mendes. Personally, I think a 48-47 Mendes score is probably as egregious as 49-46 Aldo though. Yeah, Aldo was roughed up pretty good, but it's hard for me to give Mendes rounds where Aldo is trying to work through being poked in the eye.

I gave Mendes 3 and 4 for sure. But I think the others, even though close would go to Aldo. I know they can give 10-10 rounds (though hardly anyone ever does), but in a title fight, I'd have almost a "tie goes to the champion" mindset.

The problem I had with Mendes' fight plan is as much as he tried to fight like TJ Dillashaw, he doesn't have Dillashaw's cardio. When he kept moving and was bouncing around, it seemed to make Aldo very uncomfortable. But like clockwork, basically every round, when it hit the 2:00 mark, Mendes planted his feet and just stood infront of Jose. And that's when Aldo started teeing off.

I'm not sure if McGregor can actually KO Aldo, but if he can keep moving and keep his volume high, I think he has a good shot at beating him.

I told my friend id believe anything from 49-46 Aldo to 48-47 Mendes. I was surprised that all three judges saw it so lopsided for Aldo though. But oh well, I feel like Mendes got a fair shot this time after eating that out of the blue knee in the first fight.

I started watching Bellator lately and damn it's boring. Idk if it's because I'm so used to UFC or what but it just looks like the competition is dull. Right after I watched it friday then saw UFC's pay per view saturday it was like seeing two different worlds.

Anderson Silva just signed a 15 fight deal with the UFC. Basically saying he won't fight for another organization in his career. I wonder if they would cut him if he lost 3~4 more fights without getting a win...

Anderson Silva just signed a 15 fight deal with the UFC. Basically saying he won't fight for another organization in his career. I wonder if they would cut him if he lost 3~4 more fights without getting a win...
I don't think there's any way the UFC would ever cut him. I could see possibly getting "the talk" and being pushed into retirement if things got really bad. But Silva is too valuable even just as an ambassador of the sport to let him go anywhere else. I would imagine the UFC already has a Chuck Liddell-like management position waiting for him if he wants to stay close to the sport when he's done fighting.

Silva had a few dicey years where you could really question his desire to compete, and I still think what he did in his first fight against Weidman was stupid. But maybe breaking his leg in the rematch when he actually was taking the fight seriously (irony) will snap him out of his clowning phase. But at this point, he's almost universally being called the greatest MMA fighter ever and is treated like the Michael Jordan of MMA.

I was surprised about the 15 fight deal though. That's at least 5 years (assuming he stays healthy). I mean, I guess from Silva's perspective, he can retire whenever he feels like and doesn't really have to finish out the contract anyway. But that's going to be a hell of a payday for him.

Never seen anyone go from being touted as one of the best P4P fighters to never hearing about them again in such a short amount of time as Miguel Torres. Torres lost tonight to former Bellator fighter Desmond Green via KO in the very first round. What the hell happened to you Torres? 

Annnd now Rumble can fight in the UFC again.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2258831-anthony-johnson-cleared-to-fight-in-ufc-again-after-civil-case-dismissed

Seriously, I'm 100% against domestic violence, but I hate these knee jerk reactions. You're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. Yes, I get that from the UFC's perspective, it's bad for business. But like I said before, it gives women way too much power knowing that they can slam the brakes on your livelihood just by making an allegation.

Now, maybe he didn't do it. Maybe he paid her off to get her to shut up. Maybe she extorted him. Or maybe he threatened he'd kill her if she didn't drop the suit. Who knows. But at the end of the day, it just wasted everybody's time. I guess whether he did it or not, it should serve as a wake up call for Johnson to not associate with these types of women.

I don't want to exonerate anybody of beating their girlfriend/wife, but the timing still felt suspicious to me. "Um, yeah...he beat me up...two years ago. I've been meaning to say something. But see, he's way more successful and has way more money now than he did then." But I guess, at the same time, when you do have a history with domestic disputes, you only have yourself to blame when every accusation is given credibility.

I wonder if they'll finally add him to the EA UFC game now, haha.

I missed the ear fight but saw parts of the replay when we were walking out of the Buffalo Wild Wings.  Hoping I can find some highlights online.  It was especially hilarious because most the MMA fans had left by then and the few people left were just there grabbing a late dinner.  The looks on their faces were pretty hilarious.

Really good night of fights, main card anyway.  Unless I'm remembering wrong, it was 4 first round finishes and 1 second round finish.  And then that hilarious ending to the title fight on the Belator card as well.

Enjoyed the UFC prelims. Eye vs. THE EAR was nasty, but damned memorable.

Tito-Bonnar was there not to be a great fight, but to be one that got new viewers. I loved the show as a whole and the revamped presentation for walkouts made the company look so much more major league. Sure, it's TNA-level stuff with the set, but they got real music in there, and they come off bigger than UFC with the more elaborate entrances. Bonnar is just completely done. Motherfucker aged a decade between the time the fight was announced and the time it happened. Tito coming to Bellator reminds me of Savage going to WCW - it's not 1:1, but with each, you've kind of seen all you need to see if him in one place, so he goes somewhere else and he seems so much fresher thanks to different competition. With that said, he's got very little left and he can't even dodge shots due to his neck being so fucked - throw him in a title fight for his next one and pop a rating. Dude's on as much of a roll as he'll ever be on and I can really see 2015 being a gigantic year for the company. It would not surprise me in the slightest to see them sign Cro Cop (since Simon Inoki was there and he's IGF Champion) and BROCK LESNAR.

Now that's a big one, right? Why wouldn't he go to UFC? SImple - he can't hang at the UFC level. He couldn't do it four years ago, and while he can beat Arlovski, I don't see him faring well against most guys. With Bellator, he's got one big money (relatively speaking) fight with Lashley they can do, as well as Brock-Rampage if Rampage goes up a class, and given how big he's been that's entirely possible. You can also do Brock-Kongo, and Brock-Cro Cop if they sign him too. Right there you get four big ratings, whereas with Brock you get MAYBE one. Brock isn't even a slam dunk since people are so numb to UFC shows right now. It's like trying to get excited for a random SmackDown rematch you've seen a billion times now. Viacom's willing to spend big money on Tito Ortiz in 2014 and 2015 - they'll be willing to do the same and up the ante for Brock.

Full Rundown's here -

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/11/bellator-mma-131-ortiz-vs-bonnar.html

Screen highlights -

Screen gallery is here -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/a2lih6vjmnbb8bq3vewdpgxx2yj04aaf

The Hunt v Werdum left me emotionally spent. I was expecting Hunt to get finished in the first due to the short notice, elevation, weight cut, ground game, etc. but he looked really good and survived in his guard for 2 minutes. Wedum started to look flustered and was getting tagged.

Hunt stuffed a few takedowns, landed some big shots, and I started to get excited. Then he ate a Sagat Tiger Knee and was dropped and that was it. Hunt was never out, I just wish he could of somehow gotten back up to his feet.

The Bellator main even was honestly a shit show. I know Tito is shot, but I didn't really expect Bonner to be that out of shape. He looked horrible the first round and worse as the fight wore on. It is always fun from a nostalgia standpoint to seem Tito, but with his age and injuries he doesn't have anything left in those takedowns. They looked like they were in slowmotion (the whole fight did actually). I was surprised Bonner would be taken down by such takedown, and then I was surprised that Tito couldn't maintain position at all.

Also - I'm not think a fighter's physique decides how they perform, but it will pretty funny too see current Bonner vs. roided up Super Sayian Bonner from his Anderson Silva fight.

I couldn't stop laughing when I saw him doing this before the fight.

PSsIXnV.gif

So, this UFC - Reebok deal is a pretty huge thing. It's going to be sad no longer seeing long-time sponsors like Tapout in the octagon. But I get the reasoning behind this being better for the sport long-term. It's a stability thing. And according to Dana White, 100% of the money from the deal is going to the fighters with bonuses being given to champions and top 10 ranked fighters on a sliding scale.

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]Dana also made a good point in his interview with Ariel Helwani that both Ronda Rousey and Georges St. Pierre have major endorsement deals for brands that they never wear in the cage. Those types of things will still be allowed under this deal. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]So, basically, as long as you're not a degenerate ingrate like the Diaz boys, there is still plenty of opportunity to make extra money. And there will be no scramble to find sponsors between fights, allowing fighters to just train and perform.[/SIZE]

I saw an article with a bunch of fighter Tweets about the deal. Almost all of them were happy and excited about the deal. You can take a wild guess who referred to them as "Bitchass uniforms" though. 

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dfwff?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mma

Also, interesting to note that banners are now a thing of the past.

https://twitter.com/JoshLBarnett/status/539895498576891904
Had to post this Tweet individually because Josh Barnett wins the internet. Honorable mentions to Roy Nelson and Joe Lauzon, but Barnett brought out an LA Gear reference. You can't beat that.

The Latin America one was pretty good, and with some of the garbage fights out of the way the female 115 one is good.

I don't know why they let Torres come back. She didn't do much in her first fight, same thing against Esparza. What was the game plan? Seemed like "do nothing," so I'm glad she's out.

I really like Randa but I don't see her beating Rose. Rose's BJJ seems on the same level as Randas wrestling, but Rose showed alot more striking and all around potential. Randa is really new to the sport though (compared to the other girls) so she has alot of overall potential in the future.

Esparza is just rentless on the takedowns, it'll probably be her vs Rose in the finals.

bread's done
Back