MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

Yeah, Roy just isn't that good. He's 7-7 since entering the UFC. His two biggest wins were against way past their prime Cro Cop and Big Nog. In a lot of ways, he's this era's Tank Abbott.

At one point, I thought he was supposed to be taking things seriously and getting into better shape. Wasn't there even talk about him dropping to 205? I thought it was around the time of his fight with Cormier. But looking back at weigh in results, he got down to 249 for that fight...which is really only 5-10lbs less than where he normally fights.

I dug up this article about it. My mind can't even process the photo in it. I'm half convinced that it's not actually Roy Nelson and this was a hoax, lol. Nothing else makes sense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1795399-roy-nelson-posts-picture-of-himself-lean-and-in-shape

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooo...apparently Cyborg responded to Ronda's mom's comments...

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/3/17/8235485/cris-cyborg-gets-personal-ill-make-ronda-rousey-mom-cry-when-beat-her-pussy-daughter-mma

Yeah...I'm not sure if this is a parody or what, but if she actually made those statements, she's even dumber than I thought. She's using Joanna's fight as "proof" of how to stop takedowns? Does she really not understand the difference between Olympic level judo and small college wrestling?

I can't believe somebody with as much experience as Cyborg would make such an ignorant statement. Ronda isn't going to be shooting slow singles giving Cyborg all day to sprawl or move out of the way. I'll tell ya, seeing that statement makes me feel way better about Ronda's chances in that fight. That's some dumb shit.

I dug up this article about it. My mind can't even process the photo in it. I'm half convinced that it's not actually Roy Nelson and this was a hoax, lol. Nothing else makes sense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1795399-roy-nelson-posts-picture-of-himself-lean-and-in-shape
Look up Roy vs Frank Mir in Grappler's Quest. Roy looks like a whole different person. Probably 50 lbs lighter and no mullet.

In terms of cardio and grappling he looked so much better. Instead of just having a heavy belly smothering top game he had a very active guard and was able to sweet Frank Mir multiple times in a match and win.

I don't like to agree with Dana, but I feel like Roy is just wasted potential. His BJJ game is completely dead in the UFC. You wouldn't even know that he practices it, let alone is a well respected black belt.

Haha, true. But you know what I mean. Lesnar was the epitome of a school yard bully. It was all fun and games until somebody hit him back.
Yeah I know what you mean. I still remember that Carwin fight. He still won but it was funny watching him running around all scare.

Some of my favorite Lesnar comments:

https://twitter.com/thewadekeller/status/580510746901127168
https://twitter.com/thewadekeller/status/580510746901127168

Duh...this is what I've been saying the whole time. When you're getting paid like that to show up as little as he does, you wouldn't ever go back to the UFC unless you just had fighting in your blood.

https://twitter.com/thewadekeller/status/580509662656782336

And this statement illustrates that he doesn't. And that's fine. It's just kind of crazy seeing his stance change from being "the baddest man on the planet" to "an entertainer".

Nick Diaz is now so high that he doesn't believe he was high...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nick-diaz-retains-ny-law-firm-dig-irregularities-003846987--mma.html\

la la la la...la la la la...la la la la...da da da...da...da da da..da

98c336e037ca57a746154f8dd39fdca9_lg.jpg

:lol:

God damn...Ken Shamrock is roided out of his mind again... What in the hell am I looking at?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=55&v=dOseezudhvY[/youtube]

Good God, it looks like the UFC picked all the wrong fighters for the Strawweight TUF season. First Esparza gets dominated, now Calderwood gets subbed in the first round. They should have known all these crazy little Eastern European women are terrifying, lol. Guess that doesn't make for good TV though.

So was the calderwood and cro cop fight free tonight ?
I couldn't find it on tv .
I didn't even bother to look if it was tape delayed as I had minimal interest in watching it anyway, but it's a Fight Night, so I would assume it's a FS1 card. Either way, it took place in Poland earlier today.

Happy that Crocop won, but neither one of those two guys looked like much. Gonzaga dominated pretty much until that short elbow clonked him and that ws the beginning of the end.

Crocop threw just about nothing standing.

Gonzaga couldn't finish the fight while in full mount.

I don't understand why Gonzaga was spending so much time going for S-mount. Why didn't he just unload heavy with hits instead of trying to pull up his leg into S-mount. He then seemed very tentative about going for an arm bar. Like he may go for it, he may not. Gonzaga is usually one of those guys who just seems to go for it (whether that is a choke, ground and pound, or something).

I don't know what they will do with either one of those guys.

So, Phil Davis decided to sign with Bellator.

Oh no...please don't go, Mr. Underachiever, lol. :lol:
lol I remember the first time me and my friends saw Davis. It was like holy shit, that height, that reach and the way he moved at the start of the fight was like "man this guy is gonna be big"

Then the fight starts and he proceed to lay on people.

I'm gonna have to re-watch the Machida fight. What made him stumble in the first round that he fell. Looked like he almost slipped. He was doing decently for the first 90 seconds and then seemed to take a header.

I do think the corner or the doctor should've stopped it in between rounds. He was obviously still out of it when they sent him back in. He was wobbling and falling all over himself. That last huge elbow Rockhold dropped looked to be right to the back of the head (not saying it was intentional, just happened that way) and the shots you don't see are what cause all the damage. It wasn't that Machida was tired or just sustained abuse, he just had his bell rang in a massive way and probably had a big concussion. The next round he was just stumbling all over.

I did find the Joe commentary about how Luke had broken Machida's will and was looking for a way out a little much. It was more Machida had just had his brain bounce off the side skull and he pretty much out of it.

There are plenty of times you see someone's will broken, but that is when a guy is horrible ragdolled, grappled, ground and pounded, etc. and you can just see after a while the guy just wants out. I doubt a guy like Machida wants the easy way out since he let himself be choked unconscious instead of tapping to Jones.

I'm against early stoppages and was happy they didn't stop during the round, but when Machida was still stumbling the next round it should've been stopped.

At least it wasn't as bad as Satoshi Ishii's crew in the Crocop fight like 6 months ago. Ishii couldn't even stand up after being saved by the bell but two his guys were literally trying to pick him up but he still couldn't stand. After the minute or two went by and Ishiii was still on the floor the ref or doctor stopped the fight.

Machida hasn't had the most violent career so he probably isn't in much danger compared to alot of others, but he just seemed so discombobulated the 2nd round and I feel like his corner should look out for what's best for him health-wise. Guys like Frank Mir and Diego Sanchez are the ones I'm worried about.

I just don't want to see a bunch of punk drunk fighters in 5 or 10 years. In the words of Gary Goodridge, "My brain doesn't remember much these days".

I can't really blame Joe for upselling Rockhold. The reality is the UFC desperately needs new English speaking stars. And there's absolutely no reason in the world Rockhold couldn't be one of those guys. He's a good looking guy who is well spoken, and by all accounts, is very talented.

He's honestly probably even a better sell for them than Weidman (who just doesn't seem that personable to me). If Rockhold can become a viable threat to Weidman, it would be very good for business.

I can't really blame Joe for upselling Rockhold. The reality is the UFC desperately needs new English speaking stars. And there's absolutely no reason in the world Rockhold couldn't be one of those guys. He's a good looking guy who is well spoken, and by all accounts, is very talented.
Rockhold is a beast and I had him as the favorite going in against Machida. I understand the need to upsell and Joe loves to do it. So&So is for REAL!!!! But it just made me cringe to hear him talking about how Machida's will was broken when 60 seconds earlier he was barely able to answer the bell and stumbling after having his brain ping ponged inside his skull.

Machida then missed the post fight conference because of headaches.

Where was Moe when you need him?

[attachment=13959:fan.png]

Next month's UFC is pretty intense. Jones vs Johnson and finally Weidman vs Belfort

It has been forever since Weidman and Belfort have fough. I'm actually curious to see what Belfort is like. He hasn't really done much since beating Luke two years ago (I think Hendo is done, so I really don't count that).

"Even if he does come back and reclaim his spot as the best, there's a good chance he will get KTFO"

Really? by who? The only guy that could have was Big Rigg and he stood with him for an entire 5 rounds. Really, since his absence  it's not like the division has all of a sudden got stacked. The division only got interesting because he walked away. If GSP does indeed come back and decide to make another run at the title, I honestly don't see him having trouble regaining the belt and defending it

I like GSP, but I kind of hopes he stays retired. It is nice to see someone go out on top.

Anytime someone has a bad streak at the end it tarnishes their legacy (to the fair weather fans anyways) or in Silva's case they just kick the shit out of their legacy by coming back on steroids after speaking out against them for so long (same with Royce).

Chuck lost his bunch in a row.

Fedor lost his three, came back and won three, but the magic was gone.

Silva lost two in a row and then beats a welterweight while on steroids (so that will become a NC)

etc.

I don't think the competition is any better than when GSP left, but it more depends on how GSP is. I do think he seemed to lose a little of the pop in his take downs after his knee operation. I personally like GSP retiring as the champion after cleaning out the division.

Yeah, that's the tough thihg for me. GSP was SO dominant for so long, you'd like to think the same guy would be coming back. But even though he was pretty young when he stepped away, he's got a lot of miles on him. Maybe not in the same way as other fighters who take a ton of damage. But if his legs aren't what they used to be, then that's going to have a huge impact on what he can do. And he's only getting older. At some point, people just start to catch up to you.

Even more importantly, if he's not 100% driven and committed, then he shouldn't do it. There's a huge difference between "Maybe I'll come back for one more fight" and "I want my belt back!" I can understand wanting to prove to himself that he can still do it, but usually that type of motivation leads a guy to take a matchup they know they can win. It would be like GSP coming back to fight Matt Hughes again or something. What is it really going to prove?

In other news...these damn women, man....

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/4/22/8463523/daddy-issues-tecia-torres-unhappy-with-attention-protection-dana-white-paige-van-zant-mma

So, now Tecia Torres is the most recent to discover that pretty girls with good personalities are more marketable. Actually, that's not even fair to include pretty. Joanna Jedrzejczyk isn't exactly a runway model, and people took to her instantly.

I can now completely see what Joanne Calderwood talked about in one of her recent interviews that the TUF house was a nightmare to live in. Between Esparza, Torres, Herrig, Namajunas, etc. it must have been a constant bitchfest.

In other news...these damn women, man....
The women fighters are kind of annoying. Lots of bickering and bitching, but very few skills to back it up. Every few days one of them is complaining bout each other. I know the guy fighters complain too, but you only usually hear about the top 10. We don't hear about everyone time Brian Ebersole or another top 30 guy is complaining about something. It's only when the big stars like Vitor, Gustaffson, Jones, Werdum and the rest are hyping up stuff.

I like how that article had Carla complaining too, even though she was champion. Of course since then we saw that Carla is not at all a mixed martial artist and just a wrestler. Supposedly she does BJJ too but I never once saw her try to pull guard of a failed take down or when she was getting wrecked she should've jumped guard.

On the topic of WMMA, I was thinking how it must suck to be Miesha since she would be queen without Ronda. She is also much more well rounded than any other WMMA person out there. Good wrestling, good jiu-jitsu, and decent stand up.

Dear God...here we go again.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/eye-on-sports/25161302/ric-flair-my-daughter-not-afraid-to-take-on-ronda-rousey?FTAG=YHF7e3228e

This is why people keep saying "Ronda's so arrogant. She talks about beating everybody. Cain Velasquez, Laila Ali, Floyd Mayweather. What a bitch." Except for the fact that she started none of these conversations...and these are questions she's being asked because stupid people bring her into the conversation.

It blows my mind that people can't see most of this stuff for what it is...free publicity. Ronda's one of the hottest celebrities on the planet right now. So, yeah...just say you could beat her in a fight and everybody talks about it. I'm a big fan of Ric Flair, but holy crap is he ignorant to think that one year of training would allow his daughter to surpass the likes of Cat Zingano, Sara McMann, or even Miesha Tate.

I'll at least give credit for this being a feasible matchup...in terms of size and gender. But it pisses me off that now when Ronda gets asked about this by a reporter, the general public is going to be like "Oh, there goes that arrogant bitch talking about beating up everybody again."

UFC's Jon Jones upgraded to suspect in hit-and-run case involving pregnant victim

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/04/ufcs-jon-jones-upgraded-to-suspect-in-hit-and-run-case-involving-pregnant-victim

That's fucked up.
Man, I've been following this stuff all day, and none of it seems good for Jones. It's a damn shame. Me and a couple buddies watched one of his first fights in the UFC together and I've been a big fan ever since. It's been really awesome watching his rise to the top, but seriously, the guy needs to get his shit together. True, it's mostly speculation at this point, but for him to even be involved in this situation at all is pretty crazy. Between the coke stuff after DC, the DUI in the past, and now this, it really seems like a matter of time before he ends up killing himself or someone else if he stays on this path. I really hope that's not the case, but I guess time will tell.

That said though, I'd be pretty surprised if he's not fighting at 187. Bet they throw some hush money to that woman and this all goes away.

Man, this thing with Jon Jones is developing into some crazy shit. He's been one of my favorite fighters, but it's pretty apparent at this point that he's very immature and irresponsible. It probably is a case of having too much too fast. I mean, even if you go back before his meteoric rise in the UFC, coming from the family he's from and being a hot shot athlete and Mr Popularity...it's just a recipe for douchbaggery.

You have to wonder what it's going to take to get him to grow the hell up. I know the UFC wants to protect its cash cow (granted, Ronda is as big of a draw and you don't see her running around like a damned moron), but the behavior is extremely unlikely to change if they just cover for him all the time. And eventually, it will reach a point where they can't help him anymore. And it could already be at that point if felony charges are brought against him.

I really don't think Jones is a bad guy or is destined for a life behind bars...but he's basically a 27 year old man-child who thinks he's invincible. It's just a shame that one of the best fighters in the world is the one desperately in need of a good ass kicking.

Yup, don't know how much you guys have or haven't heard, but sounds like they upgraded the charge to felony hit and run, arrest warrant out, and he'll turn himself in at some point soon. Here it is, for those interested: www.cabq.gov/police/documents/criminal-complaint-arrest-warrant-affidavit-jonathan-jones-april-27-2015.pdf/

To cause an accident like that and not give a single shit about those you've just harmed is shitty on so many levels. Incredibly disappointed by all of this.

I completely agree with you Nate. Jones isn't going to get his shit together until he hits rock bottom, and he's not going to hit rock bottom with Dana, the UFC, and a team of legal experts defending his shitty actions every step of the way. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets off without any jail time, and I also wouldn't be surprised to see him in trouble again in the future if that's the case. Dude needs a serious wake up call.

I have to say though, knowing what we know now, I'll be very surprised if there isn't an interim title fight. I was expecting this to be a fender bender and he drove off when the news first broke. The fact that the crash was serious enough to break the woman's arm and fled the scene ON FOOT is just.. Wow.

I mean, it's pretty obvious that he fled and is in hiding because of drugs. Maybe he called his lawyer, and was advised that the charges for fleeing would be less than what he would have been caught with. It's a litlte odd that he'd leave any drug paraphernalia in the car...but maybe it was something he just forgot about (see also: too high to remember).

Either way, the idea that they're "searching for him"...as though he's unaware of it is ridiculous. Every decision is calculated and lawyer approved at this point.

I was really hoping the cocaine test was going to be the wake up call for Jones.  Then he checked himself out after one day and now this.  Really hope he ends up getting the help he needs.  Will be really interested to see how the UFC handles this but I will be surprised if they cancel the fight.

The weird thing is that apparently he ran back to get cash out of the car and left the drugs.  You would think with his past it would be the other way around. 

Yeah, my thoughts on that are either he was so high he wasn't thinking straight...OR he had worse things on him than a little weed. At this point, not much would surprise me.

I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel the fight. What he did has been upgraded to a felony. I hope he get sue along with jail time. That is really messed up what he did to that lady and that unborn child. He needs to wake up.

Really surprised, but after the UFC basically completely looked the other way on the cocaine thing, they didn't have much of a choice.

I think Jones will plea out and avoid jail time, and be fighting on the New Years 2016 card, maybe the Super Bowl card, for the belt. That's assuming he does actually clean himself up. But with his level of stupidity, that is definitely a big "if".

This totally needed to happen, but I'm surprised it actually did. I think Jones would have been cut after the coke thing if he was an undercard fighter, but Dana usually seems to stick up for top talent. Great move by the UFC for once.

bread's done
Back