ModNation Racers -- General Info and Discussion

Nope played it earlier. This is a great game with loads of potential. Tighten up the camera and driving, include stunt and battle modes and its a Day 1 purchase for me

Bump for slip of release date to June 1, 2010.

Honestly a good idea. It would have gotten completely swamped had it been released in March as originally planned. And this is a great game for kids going into the summer months!

well, I was really looking forward to this game until the beta... It had a lot of issues. I hope we can get word from the developers whether they were able to make it work right (the game would slow down so much that the sound would cut out, and it had terrible frame rate issues). I really hope they were able to fix the game and make it run smooth, because I am really looking forward to this game.

Oh, and I don't think the June date is news... Amazon's had it as June since last year...

A delay is welcome news. I had fun with the beta but it a buggy mess with framerate issues and huge load times. I hope they get everything smoothed out so any potential community isn't scared away by negative reviews.

smartest thing they could have done.

I'm still hoping they re-consider the 59.99 price tag though. It just seems more like a title that should be 39.99. I'd get it day one if it were $40, but not at $60

Well, if they fix the framerate and loading issues, I think it's worth $60. It's like a grown-up's version of Mario Kart in HD.

I dont know how its a grown up version, but whatever.

The games beta was fun, I got in on the first few weeks and have not went back. The load times or flat out dropping you from the staging area was frustrating.

When i did race I had fun though. Just like Mario Kart and a real competitor from another system. I have to imagine if they can wrap it up and fix the loose ends it will be a huge seller.

[quote name='Snake2715']I dont know how its a grown up version, but whatever.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not "grown up" per se, but they have missles and bombs instead of turtle shells and banana peels. Maybe more "mature" is the right word.

[quote name='jh6269']Maybe not "grown up" per se, but they have missles and bombs instead of turtle shells and banana peels. Maybe more "mature" is the right word.[/QUOTE]

Less cartoony, maybe...?

it'd be great if you can customize a track and add your own music to it, and then share that track online w/ the custom music. I know that's going a bit far nowadays. As long as there's custom music I'd be happy about it.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Less cartoony, maybe...?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's still pretty cartoony but I guess since it uses better textures and is in HD makes a big difference. And I think more mature is probably the best way to put it. It's a little more violent and rugged looking than Mario Kart.

[quote name='Thomas96']it'd be great if you can customize a track and add your own music to it, and then share that track online w/ the custom music. I know that's going a bit far nowadays. As long as there's custom music I'd be happy about it. [/QUOTE]

Dunno about custom soundtracks, but you can upload your customized race tracks and share them.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/15/modnation-racers-release-date-pre-orders-and-box-art/

4435255885_367d1a4609.jpg

Coming May 25th. Kratos, Ratchet and Clank, and Nathan Drake preorder characters. Kratos and his Kart of Chaos is Gamestop, Amazon got Ratchet/Clank, and Best Buy gets Nathan Drake and "his" jeep.

4435255485_86ec378131.jpg

Every preorder gets a bonus pack that could be one of four... you don't know what you get until you punch in your code.

I am suddenly interested again. If the reviews are solid, I will probably jump on a last minute preorder (gotta race as Ratchet!).

SUPER ridiculous that this, Split/Second and Blur launch within 7 days of each other. Talk about saturation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. Still wish it was a little cheaper than standard retail price. Even at $49.99 I'd get it day one.

I also saw that it's going to eventually get PS Move support, which would be cool.

Also: Where the hell is Sackboy?!

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/15/interview-modnation-racers-dan-sochan/

One of the largest complaints from the beta were the long load times. Has that issue been addressed?

It's something we'd always planned on addressing. We didn't want to leave it as-is, but we needed to get the public beta out so we could test the online features. The North American servers were down for the first day or two, but by the end they were quite stable. I don't think we had any servers go down at all for the European public beta at all. It was great for giving us all that online server knowledge, but we were not where we wanted to be with load times and frame rate, and those have both made tons and tons of improvements.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Every preorder gets a bonus pack that could be one of four... you don't know what you get until you punch in your code.

I am suddenly interested again. If the reviews are solid, I will probably jump on a last minute preorder (gotta race as Ratchet!).

SUPER ridiculous that this, Split/Second and Blur launch within 7 days of each other. Talk about saturation.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Saint, I updated the OP accordingly.

Kratos is hella' scary...:hot:

Ouch. That's kind of a bad time to release this game, as the week before has at least a good six or seven big games coming out then and the Sunday before is when Super Mario Galaxy 2 will be out.

What does Mario have to do with a PS3 game? I doubt many people are choosing one or the other. Is this competing with any other major title on the PS3?

I bet those characters are already on the disc and just need a 100kb download. Its going to be a good game, but I really hate pre-order bonus for DLC crap.

[quote name='ssjmichael']What does Mario have to do with a PS3 game? I doubt many people are choosing one or the other. Is this competing with any other major title on the PS3?[/QUOTE]

This is out the same day as Blur, another battle racer. Also it comes out a week after Split/Second, yet another action racing game. It's pretty horrible timing.

I don't get the message in the OP. So if I pre-order at Amazon I get Ratchet & Clank + another code that could be any one of the others?

Also, pretty weak that Ratchet & Clank don't get their own ride.

Why did this have to be late May? :cry: I've already shelled out the money for SMG2 and 3D Dot Game Heroes, so I may have to pass on this until a couple months down the line. I want to see some reviews (or at least user feedback) before getting it though. I know the open beta was slightly over 3 months ago (I think) but the laggy races and bad connections makes me a bit hesitant as well.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I don't get the message in the OP. So if I pre-order at Amazon I get Ratchet & Clank + another code that could be any one of the others?

Also, pretty weak that Ratchet & Clank don't get their own ride.[/QUOTE]

If you get the Amazon preorder, you get Ratchet and Clank. ALL preorders get a code that unlocks a special ride/mods, but there are 4 packs and your code will unlock 1 random one. You don't know which.

[quote name='metaly']This is out the same day as Blur, another battle racer. Also it comes out a week after Split/Second, yet another action racing game. It's pretty horrible timing.[/QUOTE]

So bad. If these were all 3 months apart, I would get all 3. I will probably have to settle for ONE now. But then again, if I get Split/Second and Red Dead Redemption, that is $20 in promo codes from Amazon and would make this $36.99. Something to think on.

3D Dot Heroes a few weeks before too... UGH.

[quote name='ssjmichael']What does Mario have to do with a PS3 game? I doubt many people are choosing one or the other. Is this competing with any other major title on the PS3?[/QUOTE]
Because many of us have multiple systems and varied tastes, so a dozen other options can be a bit of conflict when deciding what to buy.

Mario Galaxy 2 can wait. Nintendo games usually stay close to their original MSRP. I'm going to wait until Mario Galaxy, Metroid, and Zelda are out and TRU has a buy 2 get 1 or something, then I'll get them all at once.

ModNation racer is no good. That is all I have to say about this subject. Sony told me to give it a try and report back with any changes or ideas I have, but I think this game is far to down the hill for saving.

[quote name='Saint Noir']If you get the Amazon preorder, you get Ratchet and Clank. ALL preorders get a code that unlocks a special ride/mods, but there are 4 packs and your code will unlock 1 random one. You don't know which.[/QUOTE]

Oh OK...but there's no info on what's on any of the 4 random codes yet right?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']ModNation racer is no good. That is all I have to say about this subject. Sony told me to give it a try and report back with any changes or ideas I have, but I think this game is far to down the hill for saving.[/QUOTE]

they need to get the game right... before release. why fuck up a new franchise

I tried the beta. The key word is tried. The performance was terrible. I sincerely wish that I had sold my beta key on ebay. I'm going to wait at least 6 months to even think about buying this game.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']ModNation racer is no good. That is all I have to say about this subject. Sony told me to give it a try and report back with any changes or ideas I have, but I think this game is far to down the hill for saving.[/QUOTE]

Care to elaborate? The game looks fun, and it sounds like they've made some improvements with the beta.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Oh OK...but there's no info on what's on any of the 4 random codes yet right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. They will be announcing the secret packs prior to release.

DarkNess Bear, that sucks. My interest is waning again. I hope you played an old build a bit ago... and now it is better. But if not, :cry:

[quote name='Saint Noir']Three posts in a row, alright. This game now has a $10 Amazon preorder credit. Hopefully the finished product is decent.[/QUOTE]

Sweet -- I'll update the thread's title to hopefully draw more interest.

The game is great. It's brings something new-ish with it's gauge system. The customization is second to none. The only issues in the beta were lag/loading/frame rate related.

and according to the blog, they've fixed those since those were the only glaring complaints most people brought up to them.

Boy, Amazon is really throwing those $10 credits around... FF13, ModNation, and SMG2... I'll have $20, now. I'm looking forward to the new Castlevania: Lords of Shadow; keeping an eye on Quantum Theory, and also Nier. Might have to pick one of those 3 up for $40 after the credits are applied (depending on the reviews).

I'm liking everything I see about this game, and I am betting it will be a lot of fun. Lots of previews have been posted on the PlayStation Blog.

My one and only wish for the final release is that there are no framerate problems!!

Have any of you ever pre-ordered a game from Best Buy before? Do they charge your credit card immediately or upon release?

I'm thinking about getting ModNation from them because I want that Nathan Drake DLC!

[quote name='bmachine']Have any of you ever pre-ordered a game from Best Buy before? Do they charge your credit card immediately or upon release?

I'm thinking about getting ModNation from them because I want that Nathan Drake DLC![/QUOTE]
Just go to the store and put $5 down for the ModNation preorder box. Inside the box is a DLC voucher.

[quote name='eau']Just go to the store and put $5 down for the ModNation preorder box. Inside the box is a DLC voucher.[/QUOTE]

I think I'll do that. Thanks for the tip!

You can even come back (probably closer to the release date) and get your $5 back by cancelling the pre-order. I did it and didn't get any hassle for it.

And they let you keep the box with the DLC code? I definitely prefer to take advantage of Amazon's GC deal but I want BB's DLC.

bread's done
Back