ModNation Racers -- General Info and Discussion

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...spotlights-sucker-punch-rebuilds-empire-city/

A new Artist Spotlight video with the guys at Sucker Punch, who make a version of Cole from Infamous and a great Empire City track that's really impressive.

They also started making hints at what the bonus karts are going to be for pre-orders along with an extra racer/kart that seems to be Sackboy:

Pre-order Mystery ModNation Mods and Karts Revealed Tomorrow! If you pre-ordered ModNation, you scored either Kratos, Ratchet and Clank, or Nathan Drake. But you ALSO scored one of four mystery mods and kart packs!

Stay tuned on the PlayStation.Blog this week as we announce not only the Mystery Mods and Karts you will have a chance to score by pre-ordering, but a NEW familiar character who has decided to get a kart and join the RACE!

I hope they make sackboy available on the PSN, I preordered from gohastings because the other guys werent worth the $20 I saved and I am not paying an extra $20 for the chance to get a sackboy.

I wish someone would find out if they fixed the load times or not. That's the #1 thing I care about.

The Hastings price is great but I can't seem to find any info on how long it takes to ship. They have a standard option and an expedited option but no details on how many days it takes to actually get your stuff. I can't even get the site to accept "expedited" as the shipping method for ModNation -- I click on it and hit "save" and it just reverts back to "standard" in my cart.

I think I've been spoiled by release day delivery from Amazon.

4463114462_ef818bf14f.jpg

4462338237_d52ebbec49.jpg

4463114392_0b5600aabf.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/04/27/modnation-racers-mystery-mods-revealed/
FIRST, A NEW TRAILER

I’d like to kick off this post with a brand new trailer. We’ve been talking a lot about the Mods you can get by pre-ordering ModNation Racers for PS3, but we’ve never seen them in action. So what do Ratchet, Clank, Kratos, and Nathan Drake look like when they finally take the wheel ModNation-style? Click on our latest trailer to find out!

http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/945/1.896

SACKBOY JOINS THE RACE!

Sackboy officially joins the ModNation Racers crew with a sweet Cardboard roadster!
Please welcome the latest addition to the ModNation Racer family….SACKBOY! Congrats to everyone who guessed correctly.

It’s only fitting that hero that started the Play, Create, Share movement joins the cast of ModNation. Now the question is, how do you get him?

Well, that part’s easy!

On May 25th, look out for specially stickered copies of ModNation Racers for PS3!

Inside those copies you will get a PSN voucher good for the Sackboy Mod and his sweet Cardboard kart. Early pre-ordered copies will come with a packed-in Sackboy voucher. This offer is valid only while supplies last, so you’ve gotta be quick!

BONUS MYSTERY MOD and KART PACKS REVEALED!

If you pre-order or have pre-ordered from a participating retailer (Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, and GameCrazy) you not only get one of your favorite characters but you will get one of the four BONUS Mod and Kart packs below!

Each pack comes with an original Mod and Kart Body, PLUS you get special accessories that you can use in your own creations!

Which one will you get? Who knows? It’s the luck of the draw. Find out when you redeem your pre-order voucher code.

Till then, anyone got a favorite?

Mouse Trap
Ready to catch his next meal, this clever car speeds around a big wedge of cheese to lure in his next meal.
Mod Accessories: Feline Ears, Cat Eyes, and Claws
Kart Accessories: Cheese Wheel and Cat Toy Ornaments

Lil Tinker
Some kids were just born to race. Sporting a homemade Soap Box Racer and X-Ray Specs, this little rascal is ready to go.
Mod Accessories: X-Ray Glasses and Pot Helmet
Kart Accessories: Nail ornament and Trash Steering Wheel

Cowboy
MOO-ve over! There’s a new sheriff in town. If you don’t get out of his way, his truck will mow you into hamburger!
Mod Accessories: Cowboy Hat, Straw, and Chaps
Kart Accessories: Saddle Seat and Rope Steering Wheel

Woody
You don’t have to watch Caddyshack to know you don’t mess with this gopher and his souped up Golf Kart. Whether on the fairway or on the race track, this guy likes to “drive”!
Mod Accessories: Golf Hat, Gopher Nose, Argyle Sweater Vest
Kart Accessories: Golf Kart Seat

[quote name='jh6269']I wish someone would find out if they fixed the load times or not. That's the #1 thing I care about.[/QUOTE]

ign said the loads are still long.

[quote name='wildcpac']IGN gives it a 9.0 out of 10. My jaw hit the floor when I saw that the MSRP is $60 bucks.[/QUOTE]

I was irritated at first, but then I thought about everything you get. You get a great kart racing game, a fully featured track editor, car editor, and character editor. I think the overall package is worth $60, although it would've been nice to see even a $49.99 price tag on this. I'll still pick it up for sure though.

[quote name='wildcpac']IGN gives it a 9.0 out of 10. My jaw hit the floor when I saw that the MSRP is $60 bucks.[/QUOTE]

millions upon millions of people paid $50 for mario kart wii. this is mario kart wii, plus practically infinite character designs, practically infinite kart designs and practically infinite race tracks. thats not worth an extra $10 dollars?

what games are worth $60 to you? because this game will have much more replay value than most games.

I've no idea why someone would be surprised as to why the game is going to retail at $60. 95% of new console video games always retail at that price.

Anyway, horrible news if the load times are still there. I will not pick it up if it's as bad as in the beta. I'll keep tabs in this thread for when it's out and the final verdict as well.

[quote name='lokizz']ign said the loads are still long.[/QUOTE]

Well crap. Well, I hope at least the framerate is better and the sound doesn't cut out. Still hoping that IGN didn't get the retail copy and it's actually fixed in the copy I'll end up with.

Ok load times are 15-45 seconds between different tracks. That's not that bad...

In addition, I can't believe some of you are questioning whether it's worth $60. You can get so much value out of this game...

Single player Campaign (where you unlock parts for customization and have various challenges in addition to the races)

Creating race tracks that you can share

Creating customizable characters you can share

12 player online racing

Split screen racing with up to 4 people

Excellent balanced gameplay...

This game is brilliant. What more can you ask for? (other than lower loading times and a battle mode)?

This is clear the best Kart Racer this generation and easily worth $60. Fortunately, me and many others got it for $38 via gohastings.com

People were saying the same about LBP's price. "You mean.. I have to make my own game? Then why should I pay as much as a "complete game" !?"

I believe it all has to do with the perception of the play.create.share. titles all being "just tools" (for creating different things). This aint RPG Make folks! Lol

if you dont want to pay $60, then wait.

you can get LBP for ~20-30 now and have tons of levels to download now.

im not getting it because im not that into kart racers. if i were to get it, i probably play it a few times and then forget about it.

I literally tried to ignore this game , but lately all the videos have made me want it A LOT more. I think I might even get it for my PSP also , beacuse of some kind of link between the two. But I dont know

Does anyone know if the pre-orders from GoHastings include any of these bonuses like the Sack Boy / Cart... I jumped on the GoHastings deal last month, and hopefully it does :(

[quote name='JaxMoney']Does anyone know if the pre-orders from GoHastings include any of these bonuses like the Sack Boy / Cart... I jumped on the GoHastings deal last month, and hopefully it does :([/QUOTE]

Don't rely on this, but I believe everyone will have the Sackboy, but you must pre-order from GS, Amazon, or Best Buy (?) to get the special carts (uncharted, etc.).

Now, as for the mystery cart, I do believe that everyone who pre-orders the game will get one.

Check the PS Blog to make sure, they had a thread about this and the person answered a lot of these types of questions.

[quote name='mdmola']
Ok load times are 15-45 seconds between different tracks. That's not that bad...
[/QUOTE]

15 seconds isn't too bad, but 45 seconds is pretty bad. I'm still getting the game though, I really am looking forward to playing the custom tracks.

The game is definitely worth $60; it should have at least the lifespan of a Mario Kart. I really think this is going to be better than Mario Kart just for the fact that you can create tracks & drivers and share them.

I just wish they would have focused on making the load times and frame rate seamless rather than having all the extra characters and stuff.

^

Not only that, but the gameplay seems to be better than Mario Kart's too. It's like Diddy Kong Racings (best kart racer ever) + their own additions

[quote name='mdmola']Ok load times are 15-45 seconds between different tracks. That's not that bad...

In addition, I can't believe some of you are questioning whether it's worth $60. You can get so much value out of this game...

Single player Campaign (where you unlock parts for customization and have various challenges in addition to the races)

Creating race tracks that you can share

Creating customizable characters you can share

12 player online racing

Split screen racing with up to 4 people

Excellent balanced gameplay...

This game is brilliant. What more can you ask for? (other than lower loading times and a battle mode)?

This is clear the best Kart Racer this generation and easily worth $60. Fortunately, me and many others got it for $38 via gohastings.com[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The IGN review said they DID reduce the load times from the beta; if it's in the 15-45 second range now, that puts it at the same level as LittleBigPlanet - it takes time to load custom stuff, but it's really not that bad. Plus, it's important to note that the load times are mainly for if you've got a custom character in the cutscenes - you do NOT have to reload the entire track if you're restarting a race, etc.

I think ModNation Racers looks absolutely amazing - finally Sony will have it's own AAA kart racing franchise that can match up against Mario Kart (and perhaps even beat it!), after all these years. It's an absolute Day One purchase for me.

I know where I'll be on May 25th at 10:00am... waiting for the doors to open at GameStop! ;)

[quote name='jh6269']Don't rely on this, but I believe everyone will have the Sackboy, but you must pre-order from GS, Amazon, or Best Buy (?) to get the special carts (uncharted, etc.).

[/QUOTE]

Alright, sounds good... thanks for the insight. Guess I'll just have to wait to find out...

[quote name='mdmola']^

Not only that, but the gameplay seems to be better than Mario Kart's too. It's like Diddy Kong Racings (best kart racer ever) + their own additions[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we'll see (fingers crossed). I wasn't really able to play against anyone with the beta. For me it kept dropping people and there were really bad technical issues (sound cut out, physics going haywire, etc.). But if it can do what the videos show, then I believe it will be better. The physics are supposedly more realistic, and I love how the weapons and characters are a little more mature (missles and bombs vs. banana peels and turtle shells). So far, I think MK Double Dash was my fav. I had so much fun playing that with my friends. Didn't care to much for MK Wii. I'm ready for some fun Kart racing.

I never did play the Diddy Kong racing, thought it was pretty much the same as M. Kart.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']My 'paid for review' senses are tingling. Read this review and tell me the text agrees with the game getting a 9. On top of that, this site says they gave it a 7.

Hmmmmm...[/QUOTE]

Hmm, who knows lol... second reviewer seems impatient, and maybe the graphics didn't meet his expectations or something.

Not sure why the load times are that big of a deal. It's not like you're sitting there for ten minutes waiting for a track to load. It takes 45-60 seconds, big deal. The game has a shit ton of custom content to load, what do you expect? While the game's loading take your ADD meds.

[quote name='SEH']Not sure why the load times are that big of a deal. It's not like you're sitting there for ten minutes waiting for a track to load. It takes 45-60 seconds, big deal. The game has a shit ton of custom content to load, what do you expect? While the game's loading take your ADD meds.[/QUOTE]

QFT. I can't believe we're still talking about load times here.

Load times are pretty brutal. But having that guy do over exaggerated sighs like a 4 year old is a lot more brutal in my book.

Still, load times are WOAH man. I hope an update can trim those in the future.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Load times are pretty brutal. But having that guy do over exaggerated sighs like a 4 year old is a lot more brutal in my book.

Still, load times are WOAH man. I hope an update can trim those in the future.[/QUOTE]

Load times in the beta were horrible too, really surprised they didn't fix this...perhaps a title update to allow installing of the game will be possible?

I just heard of this game today, and looked at videos and stuff of it. It looked really cool, like a modern successor to CTR (the greatest cart racing game) but after I kept reading it seems kind of disappointing. The adventure mode being in menus instead of on a map with too many frustrating objectives, all the carts the same, load times, I just don't know now.

Yeah, Ars Technica pretty much did the same thing with the load time video.

It blows, but I'm going to get the game b/c I like the game itself. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the actual retail version will have a later build with better loading times (the articles that I've read have all used the review copy that was provided, not the retail version). However, I'm pretty sure the retail version is going to have the terrible load times, but I'll just have to suffer through them.

Maybe in ModNationRacers 2 it will be smooth (or maybe they can have a patch or something).

bread's done
Back