Mods please lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
All would be forgiven if Roger came back. He's tied for the all time most wins in Red Sox history with Cy Young, he comes back, its his. He comes back, his number gets retired. It would be a storybook ending to one of the greatest careers in baseball history. His buddy Al Nipper is here.

There is nothing he could do that could top that. It would be the biggest story in baseball this year, and probably this decade.

If he's concerned at all about how people look back at his career, and about his place in baseball history, then going to Boston is the best thing he could ever do. If he wants to win another World Series, theres nowhere else that would offer a better chance.

The entire front office is in Texas right now. He can have all the money he wants. He can have his own jet. Dan Duquette can be his clubhouse boy. He'll do it, too.

while I think roger will stay in houston....both boston and new york will most likely offer him the same perks houston does with not being with the team etc.....and a ton more money. In Boston he will be raised like a god for coming back. He will make our staff the best in baseball and any holes that needed filling, could be had by trading up to 3 starting pitchers all capable of winning 10 - 15 games, and a 2b. Some may hate him, but all would be forgotten when he took the mound. He could hold the record for wins for the redsox, he is going into the hall as a redsox, and he can have his number retired at the end of the season if he decides it is his last.

But he also loves new york and steinbrenner. New york can match anything the sox do and more financially. If he goes to new york they will be the favorite to win. If he doesn't go to houston/texas rangers, and he still plays I think it will be in Boston. Theo and company are very good at meeting people and making them want to come to boston, look at them eating thanksgiving dinner with curt schilling. Also, clemans mentored curt schilling, and curt is here. We also have jonathan paplebon, the alleged next roger clemans. While it may be early to compare, but he does have the same physical look of a young clemans, throws the same stuff, and has the same mental makeup almost arrogance of clemans. Here is a kid roger can mentor, and josh beckett is very similiar as well. Clemans will have 3 pitchers all idolizing him in boston. The only thing is, playing in houston or texas, his commute home will be nothing.

sosa considering retirement,

the cincy reds signed scott hatterberg to a 750k contract...

carlos zombrano and cubs avoid arbitration and sign a 1 year deal at $6.5 million

[quote name='ryanbph']sosa considering retirement,

the cincy reds signed scott hatterberg to a 750k contract...

victor zombrano and cubs avoid arbitration and sign a 1 year deal at $6.5 million[/QUOTE]

That would be Carlos Zambrano ;)

So did anyone hear about Clemens...his agent says he is going to retire after the WBC...what a shame...he woulda been good for baseball for atleast one more year...so what does everyone think about Team USA's lineup...think we got a chance to win?

[quote name='integralsmatic']So did anyone hear about Clemens...his agent says he is going to retire after the WBC...what a shame...he woulda been good for baseball for atleast one more year...so what does everyone think about Team USA's lineup...think we got a chance to win?[/QUOTE]

Where did you see that about Clemens? I hadn't heard anything about any decisions he had made yet.

[quote name='greendj27']Where did you see that about Clemens? I hadn't heard anything about any decisions he had made yet.[/QUOTE]

Nah, all his agent said was he (Clemens) wasn't going to make a decision about returning ot baseball, until aftere the WBC.

While retirement is his leading choice, according to his agent, he's not completely against coming back for another year.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Nah, all his agent said was he (Clemens) wasn't going to make a decision about returning ot baseball, until aftere the WBC.

While retirement is his leading choice, according to his agent, he's not completely against coming back for another year.[/QUOTE]

Cool, that's what I had heard too. Which is why I was confused.

[quote name='greendj27']Cool, that's what I had heard too. Which is why I was confused.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, any news is news when theres no news. Adam Dunn's signing is about the only news lately. (2 yrs 18.5 mil)

[quote name='integralsmatic']sorry i misconstrewed that...i saw it on the ESPN bottom line..shoulda read up more on it...yeah off season is getting boring now...[/QUOTE]

Happens to the best of us. Easy to mix it up if you just happened to glance at it. I would've thought the same had I not saw the article before hand. Lets hope we can see the Rocket's red glare, In Beantown :rofl:, after the WBC. Hell as long as he comes back anything but a Yankee, I'm happy.

[quote name='integralsmatic']sorry i misconstrewed that...i saw it on the ESPN bottom line..shoulda read up more on it...yeah off season is getting boring now...[/QUOTE]

I most likely would've done the same thing, if I had seen the article after seeing that on ESPN.

As long as we can see the Rocket's red glare, in anything but pinstripes, after the WBC, it'll be all good.

well hopefully varitek will help by catching him in the wbc...he is a money grubber, he will be back for one more season

[quote name='craven_fiend']Happens to the best of us. Easy to mix it up if you just happened to glance at it. I would've thought the same had I not saw the article before hand. Lets hope we can see the Rocket's red glare, In Beantown :rofl:, after the WBC. Hell as long as he comes back anything but a Yankee, I'm happy.[/QUOTE]

Didn't Clemens at one point say he was rather upset with Boston and wouldn't go into the HoF as a Red Sox.. or am I thinking of something quite different?

If that's the case.. I don't see him going back to finish his career there.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Didn't Clemens at one point say he was rather upset with Boston and wouldn't go into the HoF as a Red Sox.. or am I thinking of something quite different?

If that's the case.. I don't see him going back to finish his career there.[/QUOTE]

I saw something about that as well, but apparantly he has been softening in his feelings towards Boston.

I still think he is going to pitch in Houston or nowhere next year though.

most likely houston or texas...he doesn't have a choice about the hall anymore...i know he was pissed at duquett...but i have heard some suggestive things that he doesn't like the fans, for the way they treated him after he left...but he did sign with the yanks so i dunno what the fuck he was thinking that would still love him after he signs with the yanks...there hasn't been any direct quotes from him about the fans in boston though...just inuendo's and speculations by baseball writters

[quote name='ryanbph']he doesn't have a choice about the hall anymore[/QUOTE]

Did the Hall giving the player the choice of his uniform to wear in the hall change at some point recently?

addition - Noticed the US 30 man roster was announced today... and as happy as I am to see Sabathia in the starting rotation (being a Cleveland Fan), does anyone know how some of the other players on the provisional roster (e.g. Ben Sheets) did not make the final roster?

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Did the Hall giving the player the choice of his uniform to wear in the hall change at some point recently?[/QUOTE]
They took the choice away from the player when Wade Boggs signed a deal with Tampa where they'd pay him to wear a Tampa cap in the Hall. I believe Canseco had a similar deal, but he's not getting in anyway.

They actually maintain that it was never the players choice, but it pretty much was until stuff like that started happening.

[quote name='dafoomie']They took the choice away from the player when Wade Boggs signed a deal with Tampa where they'd pay him to wear a Tampa cap in the Hall.

They actually maintain that it was never the players choice, but it pretty much was until stuff like that started happening.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I somehow never even heard of that. Still if Roger Clemens says he doesn't want to be in a Boston uniform... I somehow don't see them putting him in one against his wishes.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Did the Hall giving the player the choice of his uniform to wear in the hall change at some point recently?

addition - Noticed the US 30 man roster was announced today... and as happy as I am to see Sabathia in the starting rotation (being a Cleveland Fan), does anyone know how some of the other players on the provisional roster (e.g. Ben Sheets) did not make the final roster?[/QUOTE]

yeah there were a bunch of names i found....
Eric Chavez
Jeremy Bonderman
David Wright
Tim Hudson(withdrew)
Bret Myers
Al Leiter
andy Pettite
Morgan Ensberg
Jimmy Rollins
Luis Gonzalez
Carl Crawford(Withdrew)
Barry Bonds (Withdrew)
Lance Berkman
Roy Halladay(Im kinda surprised but i can understand)
Dan Haren
Ben Sheets

too name a few
Oh yeah deal of the day
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2330826
can anyone say Lima Time

I think most on that list withdrew for injury reasons. Either were hurt last year at some point or they are rehabbing right now.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Wow, I somehow never even heard of that. Still if Roger Clemens says he doesn't want to be in a Boston uniform... I somehow don't see them putting him in one against his wishes.[/QUOTE]

im sorry if i dont remember this correctly didnt dave winfield choose to go in as a padre though? or does that go with the whole wade boggs deal..?

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Btw, Team USA's 30 man roster.. http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/rosters/index.jsp?sid=t940

Team USA's provisional roster..
http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/rosters/index.jsp?sid=t940&sixtyman=1

I assume some of these players didn't get chose thanks to managers not wanting them to take the time off from spring training and possibly get injured.. but I just don't quite get alot of the provisional guys not making the cut.[/QUOTE]

I know Sheets was because he hadn't fully recovered all of his arm strength yet and with that uncertainty they weren't able to take him. I'm glad since the Brewers need him to be ready when the season starts.

not sure about winefield, but like dafoomie said, a couple years ago boggs had that in his contract with tampa, and they stopped allowing it...I think they now have you go in with the team you either came up with, or whom you spent the most time with. Everyone in the boston media feels confident that he will be in as a red sox...I think the first player that had an issue with the rule is gary carter...not exactly sure on that, but I think he wanted in as a met, and I think they have him as an expo...not sure though

Probably the last major free agent on the market was signed today.

Jeff Weaver (former Dodger) signed an $8.3 million contract with the Angels

that is a big contract for a guy that sucks

other news

sosa turns down nationals offer

Arbitration News: Lohse beats Twins; Lopez loses to O's..i guess thats what happens when you miss a ton of the season there javy

I'm pretty sure Milwaukee doesn't want Ben Sheets to reinjure himself. He's the only decent arm on that staff. And players get to pick their own hats when they go into the Hall of Fame. Dave Winfield pretty much auctioned off his hat to the highest bidder. It was a disgusting contest to see who could kiss his ass the most and completely killed all respect I had for him. As much as I don't like the Yanks, he should've gone in with a Yankee hat on.

[quote name='Mike23']Well, I like the US roster; specifically, how it's not built in a "Dream Team" format.

It's great to play with 9 sluggers, but that won't win baseball games.

Now, here's a real roster ;)
http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/rosters/index.jsp?sid=t784[/QUOTE]

Yeah but i think Buck Martinez would have went the dream team style if injuries werent involved..i mean i would have love to Carl Crawford back there with Johnny Damon and Ken Griffey JR....thats some crazy speed back there..I think the Dream Team Status belongs to the Dominicans....they have nasty stuff all around..the only thing they would really lack is a catcher..I mean just to Manny,Vladimir, and David Ortiz is crazy murderer's row.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Yeah but i think Buck Martinez would have went the dream team style if injuries werent involved..i mean i would have love to Carl Crawford back there with Johnny Damon and Ken Griffey JR....thats some crazy speed back there..I think the Dream Team Status belongs to the Dominicans....they have nasty stuff all around..the only thing they would really lack is a catcher..I mean just to Manny,Vladimir, and David Ortiz is crazy murderer's row.[/QUOTE]

I'd give the edge to Venezuela.. Miguel Cabrera, Abreu and Ordonez in the outfield, Victor Martinez catching, Alex Cabrera, Jose Castillo, Melvin Mora and Omar Visquel or Carlos Guillen filling out the infield and Johann Santana, Freddy Garcia and Carlos Zambrano starting games and K-Rod closing them out.

I noticed the schedule doesn't put the USA against either of those teams until possibly the finals, probably for good reason :)

I hope more players drop out...it is a wast of time...I know that theo is not happy with this, and does not want timlin and varitek going. These guys get paid to play for there teams, not some pathetic world baseball series that was thought up due to the fact that baseball is out of the olympics. So they come up with this shit, and place it in march, the time period where the pitchers should be stretching out to get ready for the season that they get paid to play

[quote name='ryanbph']I hope more players drop out...it is a wast of time...I know that theo is not happy with this, and does not want timlin and varitek going. These guys get paid to play for there teams, not some pathetic world baseball series that was thought up due to the fact that baseball is out of the olympics. So they come up with this shit, and place it in march, the time period where the pitchers should be stretching out to get ready for the season that they get paid to play[/QUOTE]

yeah i can totally feel you....Im actually worried about Pedro pitching in the WBC since there is a problem with his toe..i wouldnt want him to injure it and have that ruin a fantastic off season the Mets have..I would rather have Martinez report in to work with Lo Duca so there will no problems coming opening day..

gotta love ozzie guillen:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Guillen calls A-Rod hypocrite in SI for WBC decision

I hate hypocrites: He's full of [expletive]," Guillen told Sports Illustrated. "The Dominican team doesn't need his ass. It's the same with [Nomar] Garciaparra playing for Mexico. Garciaparra only knows Cancun because he went to visit."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2332682

Another spring, another member of the Sox taking shots at Alex Rodriguez. This time, however, it isn't the Boston Red Sox; it's Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

Guillen, in an interview with Sports Illustrated, targeted A-Rod's much-publicized back and forth standing whether to play in the World Baseball Classic for the Dominican Republic or United States.

"Alex was kissing Latino people's asses," Guillen, who's from Venezuela, said in the most recent issue of Sports Illustrated. "He knew he wasn't going to play for the Dominicans; he's not a Dominican!"

Rodriguez, who has dual citizenship in the Dominican Republic and United States, decided to play for the American squad after once saying he wasn't going to play in the WBC because choosing a team was too difficult. Guillen apparently found his wishy-washy attitude to be disingenuous.

"I hate hypocrites: He's full of [expletive]," Guillen told Sports Illustrated. "The Dominican team doesn't need his ass. It's the same with [Nomar] Garciaparra playing for Mexico. Garciaparra only knows Cancun because he went to visit."

scott erickson, the former baltimore o's pitcher, and I believe he started in minn, signed a minor league contract with the ny yanks

Erickson did start in Minnesota and then went to Baltimore. He had those freakishly long strings hanging off his glove. I thought it was cool when Beckett did an article on him his rookie year but now I just think it was retarded.

I'm going with the Dominican. I love the bashers they've got. Tejada, Manny, Papi, Pujols, Vlad. As long as they play some defense, they'll be unstoppable.

[quote name='depascal22']Erickson did start in Minnesota and then went to Baltimore. He had those freakishly long strings hanging off his glove. I thought it was cool when Beckett did an article on him his rookie year but now I just think it was retarded.

I'm going with the Dominican. I love the bashers they've got. Tejada, Manny, Papi, Pujols, Vlad. As long as they play some defense, they'll be unstoppable.[/QUOTE]

Key word is if they can play defense. They have the power no doubt, but do they have the defense to keep that power from over working itself.

I think the top 3 will be the Dominicans, US, and Venezula, especially after seeing that team, wow.

But I still think the US holds the key right now. Their in a bracket that most likely won't test them too much, so they should be well rested for the DR and Venezula.

:bomb:

The BOSS FIRES BACK

I would love to see these two duke it out in the press. What I am surprised at, is george's 100% backing of A Fraud. A lot of yank fans that I know, and from what I have heard on THE FAN, are not big fans of him being on the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2335336&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

Steinbrenner defends A-Rod, tells Guillen 'shut it up'

TAMPA, Fla. -- George Steinbrenner wants Ozzie Guillen to zip his lips.

The New York Yankees owner didn't appreciate a shot the Chicago White Sox manager took at Alex Rodriguez, remarks Guillen later apologized for.

"Shut it up," Steinbrenner said Saturday, moving his hands across his lips in a zipper move. "I like Ozzie Guillen as a manager, but I don't like him when he pops off like that," the Boss said, following with a profanity.

Guillen criticized Rodriguez for saying he would play for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic, then switching to the United States. Rodriguez was born in the United States but his parents are Dominican.

After making the critical remarks to Sports Illustrated, Guillen apologized Friday.

Steinbrenner didn't think Rodriguez would be bothered by the remark.

"When he gets with the team here, it will be fine. Count on A-Rod," Steinbrenner said.

Steinbrenner sat at the batting cage with manager Joe Torre toward the end of Saturday's workout.

[quote name='ryanbph']:bomb:

The BOSS FIRES BACK

I would love to see these two duke it out in the press. What I am surprised at, is george's 100% backing of A Fraud. A lot of yank fans that I know, and from what I have heard on THE FAN, are not big fans of him being on the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2335336&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

Steinbrenner defends A-Rod, tells Guillen 'shut it up'

TAMPA, Fla. -- George Steinbrenner wants Ozzie Guillen to zip his lips.

The New York Yankees owner didn't appreciate a shot the Chicago White Sox manager took at Alex Rodriguez, remarks Guillen later apologized for.

"Shut it up," Steinbrenner said Saturday, moving his hands across his lips in a zipper move. "I like Ozzie Guillen as a manager, but I don't like him when he pops off like that," the Boss said, following with a profanity.

Guillen criticized Rodriguez for saying he would play for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic, then switching to the United States. Rodriguez was born in the United States but his parents are Dominican.

After making the critical remarks to Sports Illustrated, Guillen apologized Friday.

Steinbrenner didn't think Rodriguez would be bothered by the remark.

"When he gets with the team here, it will be fine. Count on A-Rod," Steinbrenner said.

Steinbrenner sat at the batting cage with manager Joe Torre toward the end of Saturday's workout.

[/QUOTE]

haha you know this was gonna happen...yeah i hear that from yanks fans too about A-Rod but hey you have to defend your quater of a billion dollar investment right?

[quote name='ph33r m3']His needle ass is gonna blast HR's off your shitty staff that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

I think its just funny that he sits out the WBC in what is going to be his last season. I think he may be trying to hide something from everyone. It just too suspicious IMHO.

[quote name='ph33r m3']His needle ass is gonna blast HR's off your shitty staff that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

Wow at least a Giants fan can admit the guy has a needle in his ass. Face it, he knows his time of popping the "juice" and getting away with it are coming to a close.

[quote name='vrs1650']Wow at least a Giants fan can admit the guy has a needle in his ass. Face it, he knows his time of popping the "juice" and getting away with it are coming to a close.[/QUOTE]

You called him a needle ass, just thought i'd use that word. I'm a fan of the Giants so of course i'm going to defend the guy. Shit, if your favorite player on your favorite team was considered to be a 'cheater' you'd defend him.

He's not getting "away" with it as much as your naive ass would like to believe. He's subjected to tests from the MLB, and from my knowledge he hasn't tested positive. He has admitted to using the cream and the clear. But, that's where it conflicts, when he supposedly used it, he had the injury problem with his leg, and was not playing at that time. I believe it was in the 03-04' season when he took around 14 games off? It's tough to defend because this guy is a human science, he knows everything that goes into his system.

Still doesn't change the fact, that you know any team would take him, you know it. He wouldn't go to the Dodgers for sure, who's going to back him up....hmmm...I can't answer that either.

Have fun with Tomko.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Still doesn't change the fact, that you know any team would take him, you know it. He wouldn't go to the Dodgers for sure, who's going to back him up....hmmm...I can't answer that either.

Have fun with Tomko.[/QUOTE]

Has there been any sort of report leaked of him taking the tests? If so where? Just look at Giambi and how the Yankees reacted. Ask an Orioles fan what they think of Palmerio. I bet you they aren't happy at all. Tainting is still tainting, even if it is your favorite team or player, its still wrong and you shouldn't back them.

And as for any team wanting Bonds, sure, unless they already have a prema on their team.

[quote name='craven_fiend']I think its just funny that he sits out the WBC in what is going to be his last season. I think he may be trying to hide something from everyone. It just too suspicious IMHO.[/QUOTE]

I agree...He agreed than he pulled out..i would hope if he knew that if he played for Team USA that maybe he could rectify his image but thats out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back