Mods please lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='integralsmatic']I agree...He agreed than he pulled out..i would hope if he knew that if he played for Team USA that maybe he could rectify his image but thats out the window.[/QUOTE]

IMHO, I think the thing that kept him off the team, was it wasn't only going to be about him. I believe he is so egotistical, that he wanted to be the main focus, and not someone else. (IMHO Roger Clemens is the main focus of attention on the US team, not that anyone needs to be, but he deserves it, if indeed he is done)

And as for any team wanting Bonds, sure, unless they already have a prema on their team.

This guy can be a prema donna because he's the most explosive offensive hitter baseball's ever seen. The top 3 offensive players in the MLB are A-Rod,Manny,Bonds.

what a fucking asshole

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060221&content_id=1317659&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos&partnered=rss_bos
Manny won't report till March 1
Red Sox reach agreement with left fielder on later date
By Ian Browne / MLB.com

2CY96nLS.jpg

Manny Ramirez talked with Red Sox manager Terry Francona on Monday. (Darron Cummings/AP)​

'The Red Sox and Manny Ramirez came to a compromise, agreeing that the left fielder can report to camp on March 1, the day he must be there, according to the basic agreement between the union and the league.';
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Superstar slugger Manny Ramirez will not be with the Red Sox when they have their first full-squad workout on Thursday. But by rules of Major League Baseball's Collective Bargaining Agreement, Ramirez won't be late by the letter of the law when he does arrive.

The Red Sox and their left fielder came to a compromise, agreeing that Ramirez can report to camp on March 1, the day he must be there, according to the basic agreement between the union and the league.

Manager Terry Francona spoke with Ramirez on Monday night, and they decided it would be best for everyone for the left fielder to arrive on March 1.

"Manny called me last night, and we spoke about how I feel about things and how he feels about things," Francona said. "I've got to be honest with you, a lot of it is personal because it was a personal phone call. But we have had good communication between Manny and his agent and [general manager] Theo [Epstein] and me, and in a perfect world, every player shows up Thursday.

"I have to tell you, Manny was very honest, very forthright, very amicable. He assures us that he'll be here March 1, ready to go. I'm OK with that. I support him in this."

The question now is whether Ramirez will still play for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. If that is the case, Ramirez would be with the Red Sox for just two days before reporting to Orlando to start training with the Dominican team.

"I have to refer you to Major League Baseball on any questions about the World Baseball Classic, but Manny will be here on March 1, and he'll be ready for the season," Epstein said.

Ramirez asked to be traded after the 2005 season ended, but the Red Sox couldn't find a deal that would make them a better team. So it seems likely Ramirez will open the 2006 season in a Boston uniform. Is Ramirez OK with that?

"That's between the player and the club," said Epstein.

Francona sounded confident that Ramirez would again be a force in the Boston lineup, hitting behind David Ortiz.

"Again, I think the way I view it is, he's our player and we want to get the most out of him," said Francona. "Sometimes you make some adjustments along the way and you try to understand some people's thinking and you try to get to the same goal together, and I think that's what we're trying to do, and I think this is going to be just fine." Ian Browne is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

[quote name='ph33r m3']This guy can be a prema donna because he's the most explosive offensive hitter baseball's ever seen. The top 3 offensive players in the MLB are A-Rod,Manny,Bonds.[/QUOTE]

I still don't get why you are defending a guy who has ADMITTED to using steroids.

[quote name='greendj27']I still don't get why you are defending a guy who has ADMITTED to using steroids.[/QUOTE]

Because he's Barry Bonds, I mean really, you saw our record last year w/o him...need I say more?

[quote name='ph33r m3']Because he's Barry Bonds, I mean really, you saw our record last year w/o him...need I say more?[/QUOTE]

So because he is a good player he can do anything he wants and no one is ever supposed to criticize him for being a cheater?

[quote name='greendj27']So because he is a good player he can do anything he wants and no one is ever supposed to criticize him for being a cheater?[/QUOTE]

Never said you can't criticize the guy, shit realistically this man is a physical science, he knows everything that goes into him, from pills to a piece of popcorn. Wait, you like the Brewers right? Wtf am I doing explaining to you about Barry Bonds? He's jacked plenty HR's into that slide that your lil mascot goes on every HR.

[quote name='ph33r m3']

Still doesn't change the fact, that you know any team would take him, you know it. He wouldn't go to the Dodgers for sure, who's going to back him up....hmmm...I can't answer that either.

Have fun with Tomko.[/QUOTE]

Thank God he wouldn't go to the Dodgers, I would stop being a Dodger fan if that Asshole went to our team. Face it the guy is a great player, but he is a fucking jerk off. With his own little recliner and his little bitches that follow him around putting cream on his junk.

And who is going to back him up on the Giants, that old folks home you call your team. I know though, I remember having this arguement with you before the Giants are going to win it all because they are the best team in baseball, yeah whatever.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Never said you can't criticize the guy, shit realistically this man is a physical science, he knows everything that goes into him, from pills to a piece of popcorn. Wait, you like the Brewers right? Wtf am I doing explaining to you about Barry Bonds? He's jacked plenty HR's into that slide that your lil mascot goes on every HR.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you know you are having trouble defending a guy when you have to try to insult other poster's favorite teams. Face it the guys a cheating douche and the majority of people do not want him to break the home run record.

[quote name='ryanbph']what a fucking asshole

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060221&content_id=1317659&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos&partnered=rss_bos
Manny won't report till March 1
Red Sox reach agreement with left fielder on later date
By Ian Browne / MLB.com

2CY96nLS.jpg

Manny Ramirez talked with Red Sox manager Terry Francona on Monday. (Darron Cummings/AP)​

'The Red Sox and Manny Ramirez came to a compromise, agreeing that the left fielder can report to camp on March 1, the day he must be there, according to the basic agreement between the union and the league.';
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Superstar slugger Manny Ramirez will not be with the Red Sox when they have their first full-squad workout on Thursday. But by rules of Major League Baseball's Collective Bargaining Agreement, Ramirez won't be late by the letter of the law when he does arrive.

The Red Sox and their left fielder came to a compromise, agreeing that Ramirez can report to camp on March 1, the day he must be there, according to the basic agreement between the union and the league.

Manager Terry Francona spoke with Ramirez on Monday night, and they decided it would be best for everyone for the left fielder to arrive on March 1.

"Manny called me last night, and we spoke about how I feel about things and how he feels about things," Francona said. "I've got to be honest with you, a lot of it is personal because it was a personal phone call. But we have had good communication between Manny and his agent and [general manager] Theo [Epstein] and me, and in a perfect world, every player shows up Thursday.

"I have to tell you, Manny was very honest, very forthright, very amicable. He assures us that he'll be here March 1, ready to go. I'm OK with that. I support him in this."

The question now is whether Ramirez will still play for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. If that is the case, Ramirez would be with the Red Sox for just two days before reporting to Orlando to start training with the Dominican team.

"I have to refer you to Major League Baseball on any questions about the World Baseball Classic, but Manny will be here on March 1, and he'll be ready for the season," Epstein said.

Ramirez asked to be traded after the 2005 season ended, but the Red Sox couldn't find a deal that would make them a better team. So it seems likely Ramirez will open the 2006 season in a Boston uniform. Is Ramirez OK with that?

"That's between the player and the club," said Epstein.

Francona sounded confident that Ramirez would again be a force in the Boston lineup, hitting behind David Ortiz.

"Again, I think the way I view it is, he's our player and we want to get the most out of him," said Francona. "Sometimes you make some adjustments along the way and you try to understand some people's thinking and you try to get to the same goal together, and I think that's what we're trying to do, and I think this is going to be just fine." Ian Browne is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.[/QUOTE]

Its manny's world all over agian. somehow this doesnt surprise me that manny is acting like this.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Its manny's world all over agian. somehow this doesnt surprise me that manny is acting like this.[/QUOTE]

I find it funny, I like Manny.

i hope either varitek (the captain) or schilling slap the shit out of him. We will have between 2 - 6 minor leag players on the ball club this year, and they don't need to pick up his work habbits.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I find it funny, I like Manny.[/QUOTE]

Wow nothing personal, but you really do like all of the A-holes.

[quote name='ph33r m3']This guy can be a prema donna because he's the most explosive offensive hitter baseball's ever seen. The top 3 offensive players in the MLB are A-Rod,Manny,Bonds.[/QUOTE]

Bonds is far from the most explosive hitter baseball has ever seen. He's good, but is it due to the roids or not?

[quote name='craven_fiend']Bonds is far from the most explosive hitter baseball has ever seen. He's good, but is it due to the roids or not?[/QUOTE]

Will probably never know, but roids obviously probably inflated his numbers.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Will probably never know, but roids obviously probably inflated his numbers.[/QUOTE]

Theres no doubt that they inflated his numbers.

I just hope he doesn't get Aaron's record, that would be a dark day in baseball for sure. Now if he were definitely clean, that'd be another story.

I guess part of me wanted to see Ken Griffey Jr. break it, but that won't happen. I just hope he is healthy enough to chase 600.

[quote name='greendj27']It's a little off topic, but check out the new autograph for my collection:

kearnshomeplate0au.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Nice, that could be one of his last with the Reds.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Nice, that could be one of his last with the Reds.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it might be. I guess I'd just have to get another auto then for his new team, lol.

[quote name='greendj27']Yeah it might be. I guess I'd just have to get another auto then for his new team, lol.[/QUOTE]

If so, I hope its to a decent team. I still wouldn't mind seeing him go to the Sox, especially since it would most likely only be dumping Clement's contract for him.

They're definitely going to have to move an OF, with the signing of Hatteburg.

[quote name='ryanbph']i hope either varitek (the captain) or schilling slap the shit out of him. We will have between 2 - 6 minor leag players on the ball club this year, and they don't need to pick up his work habbits.[/QUOTE]

We would be lucky for the young guys to pick up Manny's work habits. By all accounts he spends more time in the cage than any other player. Of course he does boneheaded things from time to time, but listen to interviews. Lots of guys on the Sox will tell you Manny is the hardest working guy on the team.

"there are three players for whom I would put my arm in the fire for the way they work and the way they are there for the rest of us -- Jason Varitek, Trot Nixon and Manny Ramirez."

-- Pedro

"Manny has been the hardest worker in this camp," Red Sox manager Grady Little said. "He beats the coaches to the park to hit at 6:30."

"People don't realize, when we finish here and he goes to the health club and does extra work there,"

-- Pappa Jack

"Manny is phenomenal. And he works every day. He works on his swing and works on it and works on it and works on it. He does so many things right. He works hard at what he does."

-- Varitek

[quote name='rockhero']We would be lucky for the young guys to pick up Manny's work habits. By all accounts he spends more time in the cage than any other player. Of course he does boneheaded things from time to time, but listen to interviews. Lots of guys on the Sox will tell you Manny is the hardest working guy on the team.

"there are three players for whom I would put my arm in the fire for the way they work and the way they are there for the rest of us -- Jason Varitek, Trot Nixon and Manny Ramirez."

-- Pedro

"Manny has been the hardest worker in this camp," Red Sox manager Grady Little said. "He beats the coaches to the park to hit at 6:30."

"People don't realize, when we finish here and he goes to the health club and does extra work there,"

-- Pappa Jack

"Manny is phenomenal. And he works every day. He works on his swing and works on it and works on it and works on it. He does so many things right. He works hard at what he does."

-- Varitek[/QUOTE]

And we'll only here about Manny being Manny, in a bad since.

I'm dissapointed by the lack of 'hotness' in the hot stove league. So little movement and trades its just sad.

[quote name='Mr.Answer']I'm dissapointed by the lack of 'hotness' in the hot stove league. So little movement and trades its just sad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think the pilot light went out.

Just a little spark is all it takes.

[quote name='Mr.Answer']I'm dissapointed by the lack of 'hotness' in the hot stove league. So little movement and trades its just sad.[/QUOTE]

yeah its gets really slow after the winter meetings and the first week of free agency....next up is the trade deadline. hopefully about that time maybe Zito to the Mets maybe in fruition.

[quote name='integralsmatic']yeah its gets really slow after the winter meetings and the first week of free agency....next up is the trade deadline. hopefully about that time maybe Zito to the Mets maybe in fruition.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, at this point, I'd probably be glad to see two gutter teams (KC and Pittsburgh) make a trade.

And to be honest, I am glad to have the WBC, as it makes the baseball season a bit longer and it makes March the next best month to October.

manny does work very hard at hitting, but he lacks that effort in fielding, and his attitude of i dont give a fuck of my team/teamates...examples being last year, on a scheduled day off, we needed him to play due to trot nixon being hurt, he said no...or in clevand when he was on the DL for over a third of the season due to a fake hamstring injury.

I don't understand why some want clement out of boston so bad. He did win a fair amount of games. Yes he was overpaid, but that is what the market dictated, as pavano and kris benson made a ton of money, and clement was more productive. Clement is a solid #4 #5 pitcher on a world series contending team.

[quote name='ryanbph']manny does work very hard at hitting, but he lacks that effort in fielding, and his attitude of i dont give a fuck of my team/teamates...examples being last year, on a scheduled day off, we needed him to play due to trot nixon being hurt, he said no...or in clevand when he was on the DL for over a third of the season due to a fake hamstring injury.

I don't understand why some want clement out of boston so bad. He did win a fair amount of games. Yes he was overpaid, but that is what the market dictated, as pavano and kris benson made a ton of money, and clement was more productive. Clement is a solid #4 #5 pitcher on a world series contending team.[/QUOTE]

Its not that I want Clement out, he's a good option at #4/5 SP. Its just if they can upgrade somewhere else, bv moving him, then so be it. Plus with the amount of pitching the Sox have, someone has to go.

well there is few area's the sox need to improve...a 4th of is not necessary, as they have like 3 in camp that all can do whatever they could bring in...and gabe kaplar is very close to coming back...they have willie harris, some other guy who is supposed to be the leading canidate, adam stern (yes he was horrible last year, but he was playing high above where he should of due to the rule 5 rules) and they have 3 top of prospects that could have a great spring....

Yes they are weak at short, but there is a possiblity that dustin pedrioa, if he has a great spring, is the starting ss when camp breaks...mike lowell could suck, but we are stuck with him...youkillis is not a prototypical 1b/3b, but he plays above avg defensively, and is an on base guy. they have 7 starting pitchers, and have a small shot at getting clemans...as of now they have no area they need to improve on that they could with the players they have available to trade. As of now they will probably try to trade wells, graffinino, and try to push clement but would settle to trade the more salary friendly arroyo. Those players won't get you much, and most likely won't be improvements on what they already have...wells has low trade value as he is old, and has said he wants out. Clement is overpaid for most teams, and isn't worth the contract. Graffinino is a backup. Arroyo is your best bet, but do they want to move him?

Originally reported, manny to report on the first and then go report on the 2nd to the dominican team for the world classic. It is being reported on weei and was asked of GM theo epstein, that manny will not go to the classic and stay in camp with the sox.

[quote name='ryanbph']well there is few area's the sox need to improve...a 4th of is not necessary, as they have like 3 in camp that all can do whatever they could bring in...and gabe kaplar is very close to coming back...they have willie harris, some other guy who is supposed to be the leading canidate, adam stern (yes he was horrible last year, but he was playing high above where he should of due to the rule 5 rules) and they have 3 top of prospects that could have a great spring....[/QUOTE]
Dustan Mohr is the leading candidate for 4th OF, he's basically a right handed Nixon, he can hit great against lefties but he's horrible against righties. He's also got a little power, most of his HR were in Colorado, but he did hit one into the 2nd balcony at Petco.

Willie Harris is the leading candidate for the utility guy, he can play OF and 2B. His main competition is that Australian guy, Trent Durrington. 1st ever major leaguer to be named Trent.

Enrique Wilson is the favorite to be Manny's babysitter, but Julian Tavarez is also in the race, and has the advantage of otherwise being a productive player and not wasting a roster spot.

since we are sox heavy from my blog about the sox

My thoughts on the sox this year

I get the feeling from media sources that the opinion is that the Sox are weaker this year and I all i can think is that if anything we have improved this year. So i am going to break this down Dr. jack style position by position. Do note since I'm out of the area and i refuse to spend a few hundred bucks on the MLB ticket that a lot of my thoughts are second hand from people who watched the games from box scores and the worst source the Boston media who are more concerned in starting shit than giving us a good neutral coverage on the sox

CF- Ok i am going to start here. We lost Johnny Damon big fucking whoopie doo. The guy has been a one half player for as long as I watched him. Even last year his second half was horrible in comparison to his first half. He has a big year last year because it was a money year. And frankly the idiot admiited to cheating on his now wife in his book why are we the least surprised he went to the Yanks. What we got in return was a much younger player in Crisp. The guy is 26 and I don't mind at all that we let a prospect go to get him. Give me a proven commodity with a lower ceiling than an unproven player who might be great or may turn into the next scott cooper. This only a slight downgrade in my opinion and in 2 years I think Crisp will be playing better. I have a good friend here who is a big Indians fan and he thinks the tribe were insane to let this cat go
LF- I don't even know how to grade this one. I will just call it a wash as long as manny doesn't lose his mind
RF- I think a healthy Trot makes this an upgrade. I bet he gets his numbers back up to the level off two years ago
3B- This is the one area where I feel we lost the most skill. Lowell needs to have a huge year to make this even close to a wash. I hated losing Mueller more than losing Damon to be honest. Even though he was injury prone he played his ass off never said much about it and you could count on him to deliver in big situations.
SS-This a mild downgrade gonzalez will help with D while hurting the O a little bit. I bet the prospect is playing a ton of time by August.
2B-Can't say i have seen Loretta play much but from what i can tell he is a bit of an upgrade. Graffinino sticking around gives some much needed competition for PT and gives us a bit of insurance at short.
1B-Besides Lowell whether Youk can produce with the extra PT is my biggest question of this year. Snow adds some great depth and a solid glove. And losing Millar and his inflated impression of himself can only help. I call this a slight upgrade.
Catcher-I love Variteck but eventually age is going to catch up with him. Look at Piazza playing back stop takes too much out of you. I think he holds out for one more year so this is even. i kind of like Flaherty as a backup better than Mirabelli for some reason.
SP-Forget Beckett. Having a healthy Curt is th ebig story here. This area is a huge improvement in my eyes.
RP-Ok I admit I'm not fanatical enough to know bullpens that well. I heat who we have picke dup will help and if Foulke can come back that would be great. Timlin has been great for us I could not imagine not having him. I will call this an upgrade.

Coaching/intangibles-I think the fact that people won't be getting psyched up to beat the world champions this year may give us a few games. A new third base coach should help.

i think the Sox's pitching is solid enough...if all are healthy you can get 8+ innings a game out of them...also they got that kic Jonathan Paplebon who is looking really good..i think the sox have nothing to worry about this year maybe cept for manny's world haha

I just heard that Mike Lowell lost a ball to cancer in his rookie year. Pretty impressive that he made the Marlins a couple months after treatment.

Nixon is hitting 5th against right handed pitchers, Varitek 6th, Lowell 7th.

Roberto Kelly has quit as the Panama manager due to lack of local baseball official support.

Pedro is not going to pitch in the first round of the WBC.

Manny is officially out of the WBC, but then again that is at this current moment and is subject to change.

all above stories can be found on www.espn.com

I am not sure where I read/heard this...either on some web page, or on weei radio, but Johnny Damon's shoulder problem may have been worse then originally thought as he has continued to self medicate since leaving fenway back last oct. Yes he did pass the yanks physical, but allegedly his shoulder is done with.

and to end this update, the BOSS claims the yanks will win. You gotta love the balls this guy has..

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2341248&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

Steinbrenner all but guarantees Yanks WS victoryAssociated Press

TAMPA, Fla. -- George Steinbrenner is predicting the New York Yankees' five-year World Series drought will end this October.

"We're going to win it this year," the Yankees owner said Wednesday. "We're going after it."

The Yankees haven't won the World Series since beating the New York Mets in 2000. They lost to Arizona in 2001 and to Florida in 2003, were eliminated by the Angels in the first round of the playoffs in 2002 and 2005, and wasted a three-game lead against Boston in the 2004 AL championship series.

Steinbrenner had kept a lower profile in recent years, but has been present daily at Legends Field since the start of spring training last week.

"You guys want to talk to me," he said.

Steinbrenner walked into the manager's office while Joe Torre was talking with reporters. When a reporter asked, "Who is the best owner in the majors?" Torre pointed at Steinbrenner.

"Who's the best manager in the majors?" Steinbrenner then said, before pointing to Torre.

Steinbrenner then sat down on a sofa and listened to the rest of Torre's daily media session.

"I can't do much to teach him anything, but I'm just there so he knows he's got my support," Steinbrenner later said.

Torre addressed the team during a one-hour meeting prior to the first full-squad workout. The expectation of winning the World Series was the key topic.

"You can't camouflage it," Torre said. "You hope in entertaining people that you obtain your goal. But they do know that there's pressure. You don't try to ignore the fact that there is pressure. You just understand that's part of what you do."

Center fielder Johnny Damon, the highest-profile acquisition during the offseason, worked out with his new teammates for the first time.

"He's a great player," Steinbrenner said.

The former Boston Red Sox star, who was given a $52 million, four-year contract, pointed his bat skyward after fans chanted "Johnny" when he walked onto the field.

"I thought the first day was awesome," Damon said. "It's great to see a lot of the fans accept me as being a Yankee. You feel proud because you know what you've done over your career and you know what your reputation is, and they know what I can bring to New York."

Damon hit .316 for Boston last season with 117 runs, 10 homers, 75 RBI and 18 steals.

"My time in Boston was great," Damon said. "But now I'm here playing for the greatest franchise in the world. The team with the most championships."

Damon is reunited with former Oakland teammate Jason Giambi -- who has an adjacent locker. Damon came up from behind and gave Giambi a hug in the clubhouse.

"Everybody sees Johnny Damon for long hair and the beard, but he's a great, great teammate," Giambi said. "He's fun to play with. He'll be fun for this team. I think they'll really enjoy having Johnny around."

Giambi doesn't foresee Damon having any transition problems.

"I think it's going to be a little bit easier for Johnny," Giambi said. "He's coming over from Boston. I think he has already been through it. He's not going to have the deer in the headlights [look], where I came over from Oakland and the media outweighs the players."

Giambi says he is feeling the best he has in years and again expressed his desire to play mostly at first base this season.

"When I DH, my numbers are terrible," he said. "I don't know what it is. If they want me to be that player and do the things I did at the end of the year last year & drive in the runs and hitting big homers & that's kind of the way to go."

Notes
Steinbrenner is not a proponent of the World Baseball Classic, but said he supports it because it's something baseball commissioner Bud Selig wants. ... RHP Carl Pavano (back) said he remains on target to work off a mound by next week. ... RHP Chien-Ming Wang remains undecided about pitching for Taiwan in the WBC. ... Closer Mariano Rivera felt good after his third bullpen session in five days. ... Reliever Tanyon Sturtze (tired shoulder) had his first mound session. "My shoulder is great," Sturtze said. "Disappointed with my location." He is to throw again Friday

[quote name='dafoomie']I just heard that Mike Lowell lost a ball to cancer in his rookie year. Pretty impressive that he made the Marlins a couple months after treatment.

Nixon is hitting 5th against right handed pitchers, Varitek 6th, Lowell 7th.[/quote]

yes that is true, i soon as I read your comments about uni nut, I looked it up, and it was in the boston herald article about him.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=127602

On the field, it was easily the most trying time of his life. Overall, however, it paled by comparison to February 1999, when just prior to his rookie season, Lowell was forced to undergo surgery for testicular cancer.
“Not that the game came easy but not counting the year I had the cancer thing, I had five complete seasons where I was consistent with RBI and home runs and extra bases,

[quote name='ryanbph']yes that is true, i soon as I read your comments about uni nut, I looked it up, and it was in the boston herald article about him.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=127602

On the field, it was easily the most trying time of his life. Overall, however, it paled by comparison to February 1999, when just prior to his rookie season, Lowell was forced to undergo surgery for testicular cancer.
“Not that the game came easy but not counting the year I had the cancer thing, I had five complete seasons where I was consistent with RBI and home runs and extra bases,[/quote]

Wow, I realized that he was battling cancer a few years back, but never knew it was testicular. I'd say he has balls to stick it out and continue to play baseball, but that just wouldn't be right. =\

[quote name='craven_fiend']Wow, I realized that he was battling cancer a few years back, but never knew it was testicular. I'd say he has balls to stick it out and continue to play baseball, but that just wouldn't be right. =\[/QUOTE]
He's really got ball.

I know he's one of the guys that people think took steroids, but I don't think someone who has lost a ball to cancer would ever risk the other one, let alone his life, for steroids.

He was diagnosed in March, and made the Marlins in May. He was actually being paid his major league salary in the minors, and opted to be called up and risk being sent down again, and losing that salary. I don't think anything about Boston is going to bother him.

I wonder how much Joe and Jerry will bring it up on the radio... Lowell has the highest batting average of players with one ball since John Kruk. Lowell is the only player with one ball to successfully perform the hidden ball trick.

[quote name='dafoomie']He's really got ball.

I know he's one of the guys that people think took steroids, but I don't think someone who has lost a ball to cancer would ever risk the other one, let alone his life, for steroids.

He was diagnosed in March, and made the Marlins in May. He was actually being paid his major league salary in the minors, and opted to be called up and risk being sent down again, and losing that salary. I don't think anything about Boston is going to bother him.

I wonder how much Joe and Jerry will bring it up on the radio... Lowell has the highest batting average of players with one ball since John Kruk. Lowell is the only player with one ball to successfully perform the hidden ball trick.[/quote]

Ouch.

I really hope he does well in Boston, because he was pretty much thrown in to get Beckett. So hopefully last year was just an off year.

Red Sox Pitching coach, Dave Wallace, underwent hip replacement surgery yesterday. He will most likely miss the entire season. Al Nipper, great friends with a free agent pitcher, will be the pitching coach

Sound a lot like how the sox got curt schiling, by bringing in terry francona.

I also think the Sox are vastly improved. They are weaker at SS and you could argue they are weaker at CF (though I think Crisp will post very similar numbers to Damon; his career almost mirrors Damon's in the same timeframe) but otherwise they are the same or better at every other position. I think people are way too hard on Lowell and over romanticize Mueller a bit; I really see a big bounce back year from Lowell and could see him hitting 25-30 HR and drive in 90-100 runs while playing Gold Glove calibur defense. The starting pitching is much better than last season's with Beckett and a healthy Schilling in the rotation and hopefully the Sox will be smart and put Papelbon in as the number 5 starter. Foulke is key, hopefully he'll bounce back from last year (I wish people remembered how awesome he was in the World Series in 2004 and cut him a little slack). I don't think the Blue Jays improved enough and the Yankess continue to get older. I like their chances.

The shit storm that has hit foulke is all his own fault. He shouldn't have realized he sucks to talk to, and not signed the contract to go on weei weekly. He was horrible. A lots of dead air, refusing to answer ?'s, and making stupid comments/jokes in his opinon about the fans. When you are playing as bad as he was, don't diss the fans.

I know he went threw a very messy divorce, where his x raked him over the coals. It was also the first time in his major league career that he had an injury, and spent time on the DL. But what happened to him doesn't excuse the way he acted on the Dale and Holly show.

IMO, I think he will be fine this year. He had numbers around the same and in some cases better then mariano rivera for the previous 4 seasons. He had both knee's scoped, due to injuries, and when he was pitching he was throwing with to much shoulder and not enough legs. Supposedly he looks great, and his fastball is back at the 88 - 89mph range. When your out pitch is a changeup that is 78mph, and your fastball is coming at a max of 84mph, like last year, the changeup isn't that difficult to tee up on.

Little update on the sox spring training:

On Weei this morning they had a round table of several sox beat writters, who had there own observations as well as off the record comments from a variety of people

Mike lowell and the steroids, as dafoomie mentioned earlier, if he had taken steroids it would be a death sentence. As the cancer would spread by taking the steroids, and he would have had serious cancer related issues by now. Looks like the offyear and a half was due to getting into a funk, and thinking to much

Curt Schilling in an off air conversation with dennis callehan, was asked if clemans playing in boston had a 10 - 20% chance. Schilling said it was more like the opposite of it, as clemans wife loves boston.

Al Nipper has refused to lobby for clemans to come to boston. The sox new interim (most likely for the year) pitching coach said when clemans brings it up to him, is when he will lobby for him to come here.

Lots of concern of varitek going to leave camp to play in the WBC. With a lot of new pitchers, the feeling is he should be there to get used to each new pitcher.

Gabe Kapler is rebounding ahead of schedule so far.

Paplebon will start the first spring training game. Clemen and Schilling will each start the split squad vs collegiate teams. Beckett, arroyo and wake will follow.

In other news, randy johnson either drilled or did a major brush back of johnny damon in batting practice yesterday.

I honestly don't want Clemens to come to Boston, not because I bear him any ill will for booking to Toronto the way he did to be closer to "home" (okay so maybe that plays into it a little), but he would command at least $18 million-20 million which could be much better spent elsewhere especially since I would consider the Sox starting pitching a strength.

As an aside, the WBC is a big mistake. I predict a rash of injuries as players are going to be playing full bore baseball before they get into game shape.

[quote name='dopa345']As an aside, the WBC is a big mistake. I predict a rash of injuries as players are going to be playing full bore baseball before they get into game shape.[/quote]

After thinking about it, the WBC is better served at the end of the season, instead of the start. Then players would have the offseason to heal any injuries.

[quote name='craven_fiend']After thinking about it, the WBC is better served at the end of the season, instead of the start. Then players would have the offseason to heal any injuries.[/QUOTE]

yeah but i think the WBC is gonna be more like a All-star game type where players wont put 100% effort in the game....i dont think the players want to risk their bodies for something that is really not important.

There's an article in the Journal News today about Pedro's toe. Basically, the diva attitude is wearing thin. There won't be any sympathy for Pedro if he can't be ready for Opening Day. This crap in sports is getting ridiculous. More and more players are missing time for sore toes, hang nails, and sore hamstrings. I can't wait to see the injury list after the Classic is done.

[quote name='integralsmatic']yeah but i think the WBC is gonna be more like a All-star game type where players wont put 100% effort in the game....i dont think the players want to risk their bodies for something that is really not important.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, I think alot of those Latin American teams are going to play really hard since it will be such a source of national pride for their team to win. The players that don't care have already declined to play so I actually think it will be very competitive. It just doesn't make sense to have playoff intensity baseball before players are in game conditioning.

[quote name='dopa345']I disagree, I think alot of those Latin American teams are going to play really hard since it will be such a source of national pride for their team to win. The players that don't care have already declined to play so I actually think it will be very competitive. It just doesn't make sense to have playoff intensity baseball before players are in game conditioning.[/quote]

I totally agree about the latin teams...But I do think more big names will drop out.

You know whats bullshit? They won't call Taiwan Taiwan. They're calling it, Chinese Taipei. Even MLB kowtows to China now.

If I were a guy like Wang, I wouldn't want to play for them, either. They're not representing their country.

[quote name='dafoomie']You know whats bullshit? They won't call Taiwan Taiwan. They're calling it, Chinese Taipei. Even MLB kowtows to China now.

If I were a guy like Wang, I wouldn't want to play for them, either. They're not representing their country.[/QUOTE]

It's always been like that in any sports competition involving Taiwan. Even in the Olympics they're referred as "Chinese Taipei".

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back