Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - Get Your Feline Fingered Copy!

[quote name='pete5883']Beat the first demo mission in ~23 minutes. First time I've ever killed anything that big, and I own Freedom 1 & 2 :lol: I guess it helped that they give you (what I assume is) a good weapon, good armor, and a ton of potions. I've never even seen a High Potion before.[/QUOTE]

:lol: that's not something to be proud of then. I played with a lance and beat it in 10 min.

Plus if that's the biggest thing you've killed in any MHF game, then man... you've barely played any of it. Most things are at least 3x that size.

As for lock on, I know you won't see the logic in me saying this, but it's true: lock on would entirely break the game. If you want lock on with alot less depth due to that reason, play Phantasy Star Portable.

MHF is about lining up hits to specific spots. yeah the camera is something to work with, but a lock on would take alot of depth out of the game.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']:lol: that's not something to be proud of then. I played with a lance and beat it in 10 min.

Plus if that's the biggest thing you've killed in any MHF game, then man... you've barely played any of it. Most things are at least 3x that size.

As for lock on, I know you won't see the logic in me saying this, but it's true: lock on would entirely break the game. If you want lock on with alot less depth due to that reason, play Phantasy Star Portable.

MHF is about lining up hits to specific spots. yeah the camera is something to work with, but a lock on would take alot of depth out of the game.[/QUOTE]
I used the long sword. I hit him in the head a lot, I'm not really sure how I could've done it any faster.

I guess I'm not really an expert, but I wouldn't say MH with lock-on would be broken. It would just take away a lot of the skill-based element of the game.

[quote name='pete5883']I used the long sword. I hit him in the head a lot, I'm not really sure how I could've done it any faster.

I guess I'm not really an expert, but I wouldn't say MH with lock-on would be broken. It would just take away a lot of the skill-based element of the game.[/QUOTE]

ok, nvm about what I said about ur time if u used the great sword. if you used katana, then :lol: don't talk.

but lock on would work, but i think only as something to get the camera quickly focused on the enemy, not something you could hold.

Lock-on or anything that lets me focus more on hunting monsters and less on managing the camera would be good. When I think about the few hours I played MHF2 I think of me running around in circles and constantly using the quick recenter (was there even a button to do that?) to try and find whatever was chasing me. It felt ridiculous, like I'd need two left thumbs to play it correctly.

Props to anyone who has been able to overcome the camera issues. It seems like there's a fun game buried in there somewhere.

If I sound bitter it's just because I really wanted to like this game.

I never understand when someone latches onto one of the bad things about a game (such as the lack of a lock-on camera option) and thinks that it's a positive. Yeah, the bad camera is something that can be overcome, but if the developers just cared a little bit more, there'd be no need to overcome anything. They'd have implemented solutions and the game would be easier to play. It can still be deep and have challenge without difficulty that's created artificially by the world's worst camera system.

I plan on getting this game, this will be my first monster hunter

got a lot to learn with this game

gonna try to be a gun lancer

I reserved the game last night and am looking forward to playing it again. I'll give the katanas a shot since I'm planning on going solo. I hope these cat friends are a useful distraction during battle because I know how hard it is to play MH solo. If you have anymore single player advice please share. I'll see how far I get and if I get really hooked like I did before, I'll look into trying to connect online using my ps3.

Best way to start to get use to the game's controls is by going with the sword and shield initially. doing this will take some frustration out of the easy quests while learning how the game plays. As soon as you start hunting larger or tougher enemies, go for one of the larger weapons and learn to use those.

Katana may be good, but I only reccomend it once you get a full grasp of the rest of the weapons. Katana is one of the few weapons you cant use to block so its more a run and gun style of weapon with a massive focus on offense.

all I ever use is the big ass axes and hammers n shyt.

it's like fukk if I cant aim properly may as well use an attack that covers like 80% of the screen

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']it's local, but if you have PS3 you can easily go online.

and yeah JEKKI... Hammer + Power Drinks = Spin forever.[/QUOTE]
How?

I really sucked at Freedom 2, the combination of the camera and my lack of patience pretty much ruined the game for me. I really want to like this series, but something just keeps me back.

Yeah, I think the series is no way intended for people with short patience unless you have a group of friends to work with to make things easier.

I will be honest and say the later quests really tested my patience mostly... I'm talking the guild quests soloing >_<

so many nightmares.

The fact that you spend more time trying to center the camera in order to attack...pretty much spells fail for this series. I'm fairly patient when i'm interested in a game and I was REALLY interested in this game but the lack of a lock on ruins it. 1 analog stick almost always requires a lock-on of some sort.

Exactly, I am in the same boat with you SynGamer. I bought Monster Hunter Freedom 1/2 off Play-Asia upon release date, and I was so excited to play this game based on reviews and game videos online (almost everyone in Asia is playing this game). However, I found this game's learning curve is way too high, and majority of the gameplay is extremely frustrating and difficult due to lack of camera adjustment. I clocked around 10 hours in the first game and it has been sitting on my shelve colllecting dust ever since. I love the concept of the game though, being able to do quests, collect items and play online with other people. I am looking forward to this game on Wii! Hopefully it will be a lot better on console than handheld for me.

Again, camera controls are a tough thing to say are valid or not since locking on would take a large portion of the skill out of it. I will say you do have to learn some insane hand positions to be most effective (move with my left thumb, camera with my index left, middle left on the L trigger, etc.).

Best place to put it in words though is the euro gamer review I posted. It's a superbly satisfying game, but with a large amount of commitment and grinding needed.

MHF1 -> MHF2 -> Restart, but with a percentage of money, all basic weapons, and a few other things such as Character name, etc.

MHF2 -> MHU -> I think all is retained except for item changes and items going into stacks of 99, but that's all I know since I havent booted it up yet.

Nice, thanks for the information! Maybe one day I will boot up MHF 1 again just to give it another try, like I said I really love the concept of this game :)

Currently addicted to Dungeon Maker II though, and I also have a few new games coming through (Phantasy Star Portable / Crimson Gem Saga / Wild Arm XF etc! )

Yeah, this should drop to $20 easily at some point. If you own MHF2 there's no rush if you haven't gotten far into the game, but if you have as many hours in it as I do, it's pretty much a must to upgrade.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Again, camera controls are a tough thing to say are valid or not since locking on would take a large portion of the skill out of it. [/QUOTE]

I always find it funny that maneuvering a camera is considered a "skill" in this series and that any sort of lock on or targeting parts would make the series "easier". Would MH fans say the same thing if the camera in any other action game was just as busted? Lets say DMC, Ninja Gaiden, GTA, etc?

I'd be willing to invest time into the game, hell, I have like 300+ hours in Oblivion and hundreds of hours grinding in RPG's, but the camera is just too frustrating to even bother.

[quote name='blackjaw']I always find it funny that maneuvering a camera is considered a "skill" in this series and that any sort of lock on or targeting parts would make the series "easier". Would MH fans say the same thing if the camera in any other action game was just as busted? Lets say DMC, Ninja Gaiden, GTA, etc?
[/QUOTE]

THe thing about MH that makes it an exception is that with lock on you can't have precision. Precision is key in MH where you have to line yourself up and hit certain areas of monster bodies since monsters have different properties based on what part you are hitting.

If that wasn't a large factor in MH then I'd agree, lock on all the way.

Precision is limited to the size of the PSP screen though. I remember playing Monster Hunter on PS2 (from Jap import) and it made the hunting so much easier as it was easier to adjust and see what is around you. I remember doing a quest in MHF 1 that involves slaying a flying dragon, and I would lose track of it everytime it flies over my head LOL. Once I have readjusted the camera, it flew to another location again! This is the main reason why I am looking forward to the Wii version, hopefully the control / online play won't be so bad

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']
If that wasn't a large factor in MH then I'd agree, lock on all the way.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see a tab-able targeting mechanism, not necessarily a lock-on mechanism.

Something like in WoW when you press tab to get to different enemies, you could press the d-pad buttons to get to different targeted parts. That way you can lock onto his head, tail, body, etc. Sure you might have to press the directions a few times to get back to the part you want targeted on a boss, but it would be so much easier than having to manipulate the camera, especially on the normal trash enemies.

God, think, going up against 4 raptor dudes or whatever and just pushing the left d-pad button to target the closest one and the right button to scroll to the next closest when that one dies. GENIUS!

To be honest the screen is easy to manage if you are constant with L presses.

Just spent a few hours on the game... damn with the install there's pretty much no loading.. crazy.

I notice alot of improvements, but it's mainly in the fine details that will make MH hardcore players happy.

The Felines do take alot of the games annoyance out since they're good bait.

I thought the data install screen was cool, looks like I'm going to spend many hours on this game. I'm gonna specialize with hunting horn and gun lance. Next thing I need to get is a ps3 so I can play adhoc party.

[quote name='DJPUN']I thought the data install screen was cool, looks like I'm going to spend many hours on this game. I'm gonna specialize with hunting horn and gun lance. Next thing I need to get is a ps3 so I can play adhoc party.[/QUOTE]

You can use tunnelling software on your wireless network to play adhoc. Anyone here try it?
I've been reading up on this game and damn if it doesn't make me want to get a PSP! It sounds like a MMORPG without the stat-building or guild interaction. Does the hunting ever get repetitive though?

The hunting may sound like it's repetitive, but in honesty it never feels like it since you always will have a set goal or a set of goals you want badly.

Usually my drive is to get new materials to make better stuff, but other times I like just completing missions.

I'm going to try and see tonight about forming a CAG MHFU group. I just have to wrap my head around how to use the PS3 thing.

so far I'm loving the new cat sidekick thing in this game... really makes the game less frustrating while not taking away the challenge.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']The hunting may sound like it's repetitive, but in honesty it never feels like it since you always will have a set goal or a set of goals you want badly.

Usually my drive is to get new materials to make better stuff, but other times I like just completing missions.

I'm going to try and see tonight about forming a CAG MHFU group. I just have to wrap my head around how to use the PS3 thing.

so far I'm loving the new cat sidekick thing in this game... really makes the game less frustrating while not taking away the challenge.[/QUOTE]

Ok, cool. I may just pick up a cheap PSP off Craigslist and get this game then. Another question- I don't have a PS3, so could I use the Kai software and still play adhoc with you guys using their PS3? I'm not really clear on how the tunneling software works as far as setting up groups.

so any tips/hints/tricks for some1 who has never played any MH games b4 and is just starting out?

I just finished doing all the training missions and decided on going dual blades.

If you use Kai, everyone needs Kai. If you use PS3, everyone needs PS3.

We'll see what the majority can play on, but probably split it into two groups.

In terms of tips starting out, best thing I can say is patience and memorization. Be patient when taking on enemies since it's sometimes better to runaway than actually fight. Also, watch all the larger monster patterns. As soon as you understand how a monster works, the fights are alot easier.

Just got the game today. I only have part 1. Anyone know a way to import my character without buying part 2?

EDIT: I'll be able to play but only use kai. No ps3 atm...actually haven't for a while now. But I'll need to install and stuff for kai.

EDIT 2: I found out that I would need to transfer my mhf1 save onto part2. Would anyone be willing to help convert my part 1 file to a part 2 so I can use for Unite? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got this and my PSP over the weekend. I did the first few tutorial quests and then just went straight to the level 1's. So far I'm really enjoying it!! I'm looking forward to getting a little higher and doing multiplayer, but I'm going to have to load the Kai stuff and get that going.

I still havent checked if Kai would work with me, but so far the Ad Hoc Party is great.

finally reached HR6 bt the quests now are a real bitch... pretty much can't solo them anymore >_

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']MHF1 -> MHF2 -> Restart, but with a percentage of money, all basic weapons, and a few other things such as Character name, etc.

MHF2 -> MHU -> I think all is retained except for item changes and items going into stacks of 99, but that's all I know since I havent booted it up yet.[/QUOTE]

from 1 to 2....do all the materials gained get lost? Like KK's stuff, rath's stuff etc? I'm asking cuz I found a random online to transfer my 1 file to 2. Then use that for Unite. I see some items but not all. Like my ores, monster carves, etc.

I still have my original file so all isn't lost if this is the case.

From 1 to 2 the change may feel a bit harsh since it kinda resets alot for you, but having large sums of money does help alot more than you'd think. In fact I think most of your items get converted to cash value so you go into MHF2 a rich man.

If I were you, try to score a copy of 2, and if you get hooked you can always jump to Unite with no loss of anything. I think 2 sells not too high. Ebay might have it for $20.

Been a while since I updated but glad to hear more about this soon...
signature_deepthakur.jpg
:)

Thanks Rolento but I'll pass on getting 2. I already started playing the game so I'll work from there. I'm really digging the longsword...a lot of fun. Just saw the vid...hehe that'll be a while before I get there.

bread's done
Back