Monster Hunter Tri

you guys are blowing my mind. I have yet get past the initial 1-2 hour into to the game... know I think I know what people felt like when they came into the Demon's Souls thread!

Anyway hopefully I can get back into this soon. Summer is not the time for me and gaming.

I definitely think this is one of those games people meant to play a little bit, but ended up playing it a ton, especially online.

[quote name='twanky']What's Jhen Mohran is half off mean?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that means the Jhen Mohran quest is available online and that stuff is half-off.

To answer another prior question, Claw Day is where the boy merchant online sells additional items, notably wyvern claws. It's a good day for gunners especially.

Got to level 30, but I'll wait for you Janet since you are almost there too. (I think I still need to capture a Barrioth and Diablos first though since I don't see the notification quest yet) Got to get help from Botticus or whoever else will help next time.

[quote name='Mad D']Got to level 30, but I'll wait for you Janet since you are almost there too. (I think I still need to capture a Barrioth and Diablos first though since I don't see the notification quest yet) Got to get help from Botticus or whoever else will help next time.[/QUOTE]
The weather knocked me out again :lol: Congrats on hitting 30. If you want to meet up tomorrow I should be able to play around the same time.

[quote name='KingBroly']I definitely think this is one of those games people meant to play a little bit, but ended up playing it a ton, especially online.[/QUOTE]
I anticipated the usual 30 hours or so if I was lucky. Now over 140 hours and I just beat the single player. Had to take two shots at Ceadeus, ran out of time the first run, but he was only a dragonator or so away from death.

Killed a Rathian in mid-air with a pierce shot the other night while it was trying to fly away. I was online with a party, and I got a "WTF?" from one of my party members. I've done it quite a few times in previous MH games, but it was the first time I pulled it off in Tri. It never ceases to put a smile on my face.

Getting on right now, doing my urgent to get to high rank.

EDIT
Forgot I need to capture a Diablos and Barrioth first

I will try again tomorrow. Daisy needs her quest done too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got this game on release, but since Capcom decided to release Super Street Fighter IV 1 week after the release of this game and SSFIV has pretty much consumed all of my video game playing time since it's release, poor MH3T has gotten no love.

I'm ready to jump back into this game but it seems like the majority of CAG's who play this game online with other CAG's are at level 30 or above. Since I've not played online yet (I've only completed about half of the 1* quests offline), how much time are we talking about playing with randoms to rank up to level 30 so I can hopefully meet up with some of you guys?

Thanks!

Once you get past 1* online, I'm sure plenty here would be happy to hunt with you at the lower tiers. That actually gets you into the meat of the monsters without the silly gathering quests that are best to be done with other low level people.

If you went through online play with similarly skilled people, you'd probably be looking at 30-50 hours of online time to get to high-rank. Significantly less if you play with higher-ranked people who can end quests in minutes.

I'm thinking about getting this, but seeing how the most fun way to play is online... Does this game have a pretty big online community? Will I be able to get into multiplayer with random people easily?

Oh, I've seen mixed reports on this when I googled it, so I'll ask here. Does it properly support progressive scan and widescreen?

You just connect, choose a server and that's it. Pretty instant. Go on at odd hours and thousands of people are still playing.

someone down to play some 2* quests? I got a few left and been having hard time lately finding quality players online.

How are the Wii Remotes as controllers? I don't really want to drop too much on the bundle but really want to play it.

Just gotta take care of a couple key quests and then I'll be ready for my Alatreon urgent, just so I don't waste all this lovely HR I'm getting helping a friend grind.

Are there any other rank restrictions above 51? Meaning, are there ever quests that require a minimum HR of 60 or 70 or anything?

Well, Alatreon was not fun - I only died once though, woo. If anyone who has him down pat wants to help me get him out of the way sometime, let me know!

Nevermind, done!

Took part in a deviljho hunt last night with some dudes i think? (they had female characters, all three of them) They were all 130+ HR, one was like 211 HR, just insane. Any who they let me tag along on the quest and just demolished the thing, it was nuts.

[quote name='botticus']Well, Alatreon was not fun - I only died once though, woo. If anyone who has him down pat wants to help me get him out of the way sometime, let me know!

Nevermind, done![/QUOTE]
The hardest part is finding a group without that one guy that dies all three times :lol:
He's really not that bad. He's not even as cheap as Rathalos can be (wind stun, fireball, run into you and you're dead)
I guess one tactic is to put him to sleep and then surround him with bombs. Although I was in a group with 2 hammers, lance, and a great sword user and we killed him in just shy of 9 minutes. I brought bombs but there was no need!

[quote name='Daisydog']The hardest part is finding a group without that one guy that dies all three times :lol:
He's really not that bad. He's not even as cheap as Rathalos can be (wind stun, fireball, run into you and you're dead)
I guess one tactic is to put him to sleep and then surround him with bombs. Although I was in a group with 2 hammers, lance, and a great sword user and we killed him in just shy of 9 minutes. I brought bombs but there was no need![/QUOTE]
Played him for a second (successful) time a couple days ago, much easier with sleep bombing as he doesn't start flying around for some reason - though we ran out of sleep stuff and bombs so it still took some time. More importantly I got 2 bloods and a gem from that one fight. I wish I could trade them for far less rare stuff that I need. Took me 15 fights for a Gobul Lantern+!

Communication error right when I get a Rathalos Ruby! :bomb:
Nice playing with you, Botticus. I'll play some more later tonight, around 10PM central or so.

[quote name='Daisydog']Communication error right when I get a Rathalos Ruby! :bomb:
Nice playing with you, Botticus. I'll play some more later tonight, around 10PM central or so.[/QUOTE]
Oh dear, I figured that happened.

I got my own Rathalos Ruby last night, which I don't need. Damn you Rathian!

Hey,

New to Monster Hunter in general. I'd like to try some online quests, I've managed to get to HR 11 on my own, but now am struggling bit.

Just to warn you, I've never played online co-op like this before, so I need to apologize in advance for any frustrating noob behaviour.

But I wouldn't mind some help on how to become a better online Monster Hunter. So if anyone wants to kill some time and do some 1*/2* quests with me, I'd appreciate it.

Hunter ID: ZT5W1Z Name: Jazz

I'm usually free on Fridays.

Thanks!

I added my info (ID BYPQQH) to the spreadsheet on the first post, but it looks like it's been a while since any updates here. Is anyone still playing online regularly? I'm only HR 8 online, but I'm up to the Caedaus (however you spell it) offline, so I'm at least not a complete noob.

For anyone who pre-ordered this at GameStop, did you have to redeem the bonus points card by 9/30? The card said the points expire then but I'm pretty sure it just means you have to redeem the card at the shop by then.

I really need to play this. It's still in the shrinkwrap :whistle2:(

I've barely touched the online portion (which is huge), and I've already sunk 70 hours into the offline. So yeah... I'd definitely say it's worth it if it sounds like your kind of game. It's not really for everyone, as it's quite a commitment timewise and just having a massive learning curve, but once you get into it, it's hard to stop.

I already have a Black Classic Controller, but I still want this bundle. Hey, its cheaper this way than buying it alone. Thats all I see.

So I finally cracked open this game. Played about 15 minutes and it seems pretty good so far. However I want to play some offline co-op in the arena with my friend. How soon can I do that? Anything I need to know/buy? Thanks.

I sorta wish I knew how to give control of a thread over to someone. I don't have the game anymore, but it seems like there's still a fair amount of interest.

Picked this up the other day on Amazon. I got it yesterday, opened the Amazon box, took the game out, and noticed there's a 2" tear on the back corner of the box the game came in. It's under the shrinkwrap. I'm not sure how it happened, but it's not like I'm trying to re-sell the game so I'm not that concerned, just perturbed.

I'll probably start playing the game tomorrow. Add another game into my backlog, that I'm sure I don't need.

The bundle is worth it, just wish I could get my hand on a copy of that MH3 blue classic controller. I'm stuck at the HR 50 Urgent Quest, sad thing is I can never find people willing or able to run it. Most of the time I'm just helping out 30 something hunters, but at least I get to rack on components for new weapons and gear.

[quote name='frostybroc']The bundle is worth it, just wish I could get my hand on a copy of that MH3 blue classic controller. I'm stuck at the HR 50 Urgent Quest, sad thing is I can never find people willing or able to run it. Most of the time I'm just helping out 30 something hunters, but at least I get to rack on components for new weapons and gear.[/QUOTE]

If you are still looking to do your HR50 Urgent, I can solo Alatreon for you. My solo times range from 30-45minutes, just use farcaster at beginning and give me 10-15 minutes to break both horns so he won't go into flight form and you can come out to attack as well.

I've wanted this game since release, but never got around to picking it up. Just ordered it on amazon...hopefully the community is still good. I'm looking into a good MMO of sorts that isn't WoW as I'm a little burned out on WoW.

I just ordered this with the controller from Amazon, should be at my house when I get home today.

I got it because I just beat Demons Souls, and I've read that while not necessarily similar, many people like both games. I like the 'preparing to fight a really big monster than can easily kick my ass if I'm not careful' vibe.

I wonder if anyone still plays this online?

[quote name='Puffa469']
I wonder if anyone still plays this online?[/QUOTE]

Yep.

The community is smaller now, but still strong. You can either check for groups at your favorite forums, or just go with randoms and meet people online. (Going with randoms is sometimes a good way to identify who you don't want to play with... but there are plenty of decent gamers too.)

So I tried it out last night for a bit...

I'm gonna give it a real go this weekend, but I did not have fun yesterday. I think I may have made a terrible mistake. But I will reserve final judegment until I've played some more.

What control scheme would veterans recommend? I used the classic controller (I bought the bundle) and I found the controls to be frustratingly obtuse. Why is draw your weapon and put away your weapon two different buttons? I must have eaten half my herbs while at full health when what I wanted to do was pull out my sword.

[quote name='Puffa469']So I tried it out last night for a bit...

I'm gonna give it a real go this weekend, but I did not have fun yesterday. I think I may have made a terrible mistake. But I will reserve final judegment until I've played some more.

What control scheme would veterans recommend? I used the classic controller (I bought the bundle) and I found the controls to be frustratingly obtuse. Why is draw your weapon and put away your weapon two different buttons? I must have eaten half my herbs while at full health when what I wanted to do was pull out my sword.[/QUOTE]

Classic controller probably is the most popular choice, although I know several people who swear that Wii remote with nunchuck is the best option. Just choose one and stick with it. The controls are stiff, but that's a one-time learning curve that will be quickly overcome if you are any kind of gamer at all.

Once the controller isn't standing in your way, MH3 opens up into an incredible experience. It's not for everyone because you have to start out grinding with some very small and silly tasks... but anyone looking for involved and exciting game, this is the one.

I picked this up quite some time ago, but never really put any time into it. It's, I'm afraid, gone onto the backlog. It seemed OK, what I played, but I didn't get very far. I know it's supposed to get better, but the time it's going to take has me not finding myself being pulled to it. Eventually....

bread's done
Back