Monster Hunter Tri

I'm going to do some errands real quick, but I'll get on when I get back home. It would be nice if you two could list what server, gate and the game room number you are in later. I want to try to get that event quest done before it expires.

[quote name='Mad D']Dro, if I don't go out tonight I'll play some. I want to do the special event quest before (I think) they change it for the week. I probably won't type much too since it's a little hard without a keyboard.

The even quest is pretty hard since you only get 15 minutes to get:

3 golden fish (from fishing using the golden fish bait)
10 monster guts (from the water herbivore monster)
12 red coral (from the bones on the lake floor)

You get these all in the lake area 10/11. You have to do the sub quest to complete it, I wasted about 45 minutes trying to do it before finding that out. It would be better if we had 3 or 4 people probably, since the time limit is so small and it pools together all the items collects. The rewards look pretty good too http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Event_Quests[/QUOTE]
Crap, I will have to see about getting in on that. With any luck it'll be open for a full week. Waiting for my friend to get his copy and into the game. All else fails I'll have to join some other people.

Am I missing something? When I go to sell something, it says I have two swords, but when I got to my equipment I can't change anything.

Things can definitely be a little overwhelming, but not Demon's Souls overwhelming.

I think I'm getting the hang of how the game is played.

Oh sweet it is you Sean. :D

Don't worry about being a bother, it's not that different online. Just you don't have the monster always targeting you, but the monster does have more HP I believe.

Anyone else wanna play? We got a spot for one more CAG, we have me, Sean and Mad D

Last edited by a moderator:
That was some good stuff with the mercenary quest. Got it with a minute left and Sean didn't even get a chance to drop off his stuff.

Fun playing with you Sean and Dro. I might be around later, I'll check back in here. Oh and it's okay Dro that you launched me in the air a few times on accident.

Yeah when you request them as a friend you can press A on their name, and it'll let you join where they are (if it's not full that is). Or you can also search for players by name or ID, that's how I found Mad D. :p

And, lol sorry Mad D! It's really hard not to do friendly fire when in an intense fight. Great Swords are terrible with friendly fire, especially if people do the upswing attack >.>.

I thought of some more random questions...

- Will they explain the use for all this random shit I'm finding?

- Do you get resource points while killing monsters on a quest?

- Whats the gunner pouch?

Sorry Droenix, I don't know why it wouldn't let you add me, its strange. I tried to warp to where you were, but it said that where you were was full. I'm going to try again to see if any CAGs are on after this post.

I did however play with some other people, so I'm slightly experienced online (HR 2) I also agree completely with the Great Sword being bad for friendly fire >_>

The random shit you find can be used for a variety of things: Armor Crafting, Weapon crafting, item making. It all depends really.

No, you don't get resource points on a quest. But you can trade certain items in you may find on a quest, at Junior (Or as he wants me to call him the Chief's Son).

The gunner pouch is for people who use Bowguns, which is really just their ammo pouch (I think?).

You'll understand the game a bit more as you play and explore. The game will start making a bit more sense after a few hours or so of playing.

I'm willing to play RchrdJ, :D. Could you post your capcom id again? I may have messed up on it.

Cool...too bad the quest section isn't fleshed out more.

Hm, so gathering resources is in your own leisure and used to finish those villager requests. Making more sense now.

I need to find some bug that will help me get some Bone Armor and Super Dung. But for the latter I have to wait for some mating season of the bug :S

I want to get this 2-star Great Jaggi quest done first. You can send me a FR, and when I'm done with that quest I'll see if you guys are still on.

Kk, you have to be online for me to send you a friend request, so when you hop on I'll send it to you. Just post here when you are done.

picked up my preorder today. Its still sealed, but the wife and I are wrapping up fragile dreams right now and then I am going to blow through no more hereos 2 and get it on goozex... then for this. Its a wii kick I guess. I have a brand new Battlefield Bad Compan 2 sitting there for my PS3 as well... oh well.

You know, I wish I knew HOW to capture a Great Jaggi. They don't tell me a damn thing other than 'oh, it's hard to do, good luck, lol'. The Tranq Bombs don't work, the Thunder Trap doesn't work. What do I do?

Fight the monster you want to capture until it starts to limp. After that set a trap nearby it and it'll be stunned by it. Hit it with a few traq bombs (usually 2) and you'll capture it. It has to be limping though or it won't work.

So is anyone on? Online now but didn't see anyone :cry: Sucks people have to be online to send a friend request lol.

Yeah, you could also go on youtube to look it up. You could come online and help Capture a Great Jaggi, so you can learn how first hand with others. :D

I finally did it. Sheesh, what a pain.

Has anyone figured out if it's possible to go to other areas without taking on Quests (Sandy Plains)? I really want to explore the area, but I can't figure it out.

That's the REALLY frustrating part about this game. They tell you NOTHING that's important. They should've added some tutorial stuff for the Western version of this game so we can understand some of the finer points of the game.

Guess what? I just found out you can go to Sandy Plains and the Flooded Forest (at least for me right now) when you hit Single Player 4 star quests, without taking a "quest". You still have to take a quest, but it's a free quest, where you can go and explore the area and get stuff you need without having to have a set goal. All you need to do is return this pass.

I just fought the Gobul a giant Pufferfish.... he was annoying since most of the fight was underwater. It's definitely time for me to upgrade my armor. Hunter's Armor, good bye. :p

Glad you finally captured the monster though. Now you know how it works a lot better. It can certainly help speed up hunting quests, and it lets you obtain rarer items more easily (still can be very hard to get though).

Pass? What pass?

Most of my armor now is Leather Armor which I've upgraded quite a bit.. I have a Bone Cap, but that's it. If I can get 10 Glitterbugs (I think that's what they're called) I can get a full set of Bone Armor.

I don't think capturing a monster speeds up quests that much to be honest since you have to weaken them first.

King not to get off topic, but what other games like this have you played? I am going to be new to Monster hunter, but I flat out loved Demon Souls and look forward to this.

The pass is a Pawprint pass, but it's given to you when you start the quest. They are unlocked at 4 Star Quests, but you can only go to two places at the 4 Star Quest missions.

I think they are called Bughoppers, yet I forget where you can get those. Going to guess they can be found at the Sandy Plains though.

So I was playing a little bit yesterday, and I was wondering something. For the bugs, is there any way to actually kill them and have their bodies remain intact (so you can carve) or is it random? I got lucky once or twice, but most times for me, the bugs just shatter when I kill them. I remember having this problem in MH2 for the PSP as well.

Ahh... You can use a Poison Smoke Bomb to keep them intact, but otherwise it's just random. It's a pain to do, especially for any bug armor. :/

[quote name='Snake2715']King not to get off topic, but what other games like this have you played? I am going to be new to Monster hunter, but I flat out loved Demon Souls and look forward to this.[/QUOTE]

I played a little bit of Demon's Souls. I think I beat 3 bosses. I liked it a little bit, but it was just sort of a hard game for me to want to play. I can't really explain why I just stopped playing. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days has a similar structure to this as well, and while the combat is better, the structure isn't as good. I also played Phantasy Star Online I & II on GameCube, and I liked that for the most part as well.

I'm just about done with the 2-star quests... just need to go back out and get some Crystal Bones and then capture the Great Jaggi. After that I think I will take a shot at some online questing, really want to get that event quest done before it vanishes. Got some goldenfish bait all set in my inventory.

Capcom has made easily the worst friend invitation system I have ever seen. person offline? NOPE no friend invite. Oh good they're on! Nope in a quest. UGH so annoying.

Edit: Going to leave the Wii on while I go to work so go ahead and send friend invites. I'll respond tonight if people are still on (10pm est)

I'll add you Lorddraco, but won't be able to play with you since 10pm EST is my bedtime.

So tired, so might head to bed at 8 tonight. :/

@Lorddraco - I can probably play tonight at 10, but only for an hour. I'll go on in a little bit and send you a request :)

So just got through the tutorial a little bit ago and was hunting underwater for a little bit. Controlled a lot smoother than I expected plus you seem to get A LOT of oxygen. Then again, these were wimpy fish I was killing so maybe it just felt like a lot.

Plus, not having any armor yet makes the swimming even more fun. But that might just be me. :razz:

Lorddraco07 - I couldn't find you online. Post here again later if you still want to meet up :)

JStryke - I'm really liking the controls too. I'm using a Wiimote and Nunchuck, which I thought would suck, but I'm pleasantly surprised. CC would be better, but Wiimote is fine.

----------------------------

So far I've put in around 7 1/2 hours since Friday. I can't remember the last time I put that much time, that quickly, into a game. I think I'm addicted, lol.

I've talked about it before, but I'm still amazed with the online community. I've never been called a derogatory term once, and I've never hunted with douchebags. One problem I do have though is that the chat-log thinks everything is a swear word. Yesterday while playing I typed "after", and it just put a bunch of asterisks. I then typed "*fter", accidentally missing the "a" and it went through.

I guess Capcom's servers consider "after" profane or illegal :/

I know why they blocked "after", it is a swear in German, which doesn't make any sense to put in for the MH3 NA servers, but whatever. Must've been a mistake on their part.

Anyone up for hunting soon? Or no? I need to get some Quru scales and was wondering if anyone wants to HUNT one (not Capture one... he's a pain to Cap).

Capping a Qurupeco is so annoying, since he calls the Great Jaggi in who goes into your trap and ruins the quest.

bread's done
Back