Monster Hunter Tri

I get out of school at 3:30pm PST, so I plan to be online (hopefully) no later than 5:00 pm PST, which I guess is 8pm for you East Coasters. Hope to see some of you guys!

[quote name='KingBroly']I can meet up at 6pm EST. My info is in the listing in the OP. I need to finish two 1-star quests so I can unlock the 2-star quests.

I'm only at HR5 right now, but that should be good enough for a few quests.[/QUOTE]

To unlock 2 star quests online you have to reach HR 8 and beat the urgent. After that reach HR 9 and the 2 star quests unlock.

Okay so we're set on 6 PM EST? I can play until 10 PM EST, so if anyone wants to stay around for that time we can probably Rank up a lot.

[quote name='Lorddraco07']To unlock 2 star quests online you have to reach HR 8 and beat the urgent. After that reach HR 9 and the 2 star quests unlock.[/QUOTE]

Okay, whatever. I just want to get the 1-star quests done, though.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Okay so we're set on 6 PM EST? I can play until 10 PM EST, so if anyone wants to stay around for that time we can probably Rank up a lot.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good, Maestro!:applause:

[quote name='KingBroly']Okay, whatever. I just want to get the 1-star quests done, though.[/QUOTE]

Didn't mean to come off as a dick. Sorry. But yeah the 1 star quests can get tedious. The 2 star quests look to be fun with barroth, Gobul, and Rathian.

I have a question for those that did play the demo from gs. Does the retail game look better than the demo version because in my opinion that looked pretty roigh for even wii standards, I am intertested in this game but if the retail version looks that bad i may have to pass for quite some time.
Thanks for the info.

The game is pretty awesome bro, graphics are pretty good too. Then again it depends on your TV and how you have it connected.

I'm playing on an SDTV and I'm enjoying it. :p

Thundering over there? It was raining here about 30 minutes ago. :p

And kk, I gtg at 9:00 PM though, gotta watch Deadliest Warrior.

I'm going to fight a Great Baggi offline, so I don't know how long that will take. So, King I may be online at around 8:20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got to play with you two, Broly and RichJ. I was hoping we could kill that Ian thing. It's okay, next time if it shows up again we'll get it. I accidently threw a couple throwing knives into your back Dro :lol: but I guess you didn't mind.

I need a couple more armor+ to make my set complete, I think they give them out in the event quest (that still hasn't expired, I guess Capcom US is slower with their updates). I still don't have a lot online quest since I'm still waiting for a friend to get his copy.

It was great that we finally got a complete 4-player CAG group for a quest :). Even though I've played over 10 hours, I still need to spend a bunch of time in Single Player to collect resources and get better armor.

@Droenixjpn - lol Deadliest Warrior. I've never seen it, but my friends have been talking about this weeks episode non stop.

Yeah you do RchrdJ, definitely go play the Single Player it's really fun. :D

And yeah it was great we did a 4-player CAG group, also my friends have been talking about Deadliest Warrior this week as well, I even placed a bet with my friend. (Only $1 though). I placed it on Alexander the Great, since everyone else is saying Atilla is going to win.

I think Capcom is going to change the event quest this weekend, they kept it up for that long because it will help new players get better stuff, and probably because they are seeing where the online community is by this weekend. Mostly people will be in the 10-30 HR level area by this weekend. So, they'll be releasing content for that area probably or something.

I'm about to go and try to repel a Lagiacrus, so wish me luck guys! Unless you come on King, then I'll play with you until 9:00. :p

EDIT: Repelled the Lagiacrus in 11 minutes and 28 seconds. Hammers are really good weapons, especially with him a bit. I only used the Hammer, because it was fire and Lagia is weak to fire. :p Well, I wish I could hunt more, but I can't. Now I can finally hunt a Rathian and a Gigginox!

[quote name='Droenixjpn']The game is pretty awesome bro, graphics are pretty good too. Then again it depends on your TV and how you have it connected.

I'm playing on an SDTV and I'm enjoying it. :p[/QUOTE]

THe graphics don't look that great on my HDTV, and some of the HDTVs including mine have these small black bars on the side even in 16:9 full mode. Capcom will tell you its your TV or your Wii; it's not.

Meh, just enjoy the game for what it is. I mean the game can only display in 480i (I think).

I'm going to try and hunt a Rathian, then if I have time a Gigginox. Wish me luck.

Considering its a Wii game, I don't think graphics should weigh heavily on your purchasing decision. Personally, I think that MH Tri is a game where even if you have a lot of gripes about it (which you shouldn't), you will still be able to find enough good qualities to warrant a $60 purchase. Seriously, this game is ADDICTING.

...Just look at Droenixjpn, lol xD

[quote name='RchrdJ']Considering its a Wii game, I don't think graphics should weigh heavily on your purchasing decision. Personally, I think that MH Tri is a game where even if you have a lot of gripes about it (which you shouldn't), you will still be able to find enough good qualities to warrant a $60 purchase. Seriously, this game is ADDICTING.

...Just look at Droenixjpn, lol xD[/QUOTE]

Well it didn't. I am sure you read that I pre-ordered and have been playing the game for awhile right? But the stunning graphics they are talking about, some of reviewers, most the HDTV owners aren't going to see it.

just tried online awhile ago and did the mercy mission twice and hunted the Qurupeco, man that thing put put up a good fight.

So when should i be expecting to have decent armor and weapons? I'm almost through the 1-star quests...and am still using regular leather armor.

If you're good at dodging the only reason you need armor is for the skills, so I haven't made it too far in Tri, but in the PSP version you usually want new armor for the Sharpness+ skill to help from "bouncing" your attacks off of monsters as their skins get tougher. High grade ear plugs is also really nice to have to stop yourself from becoming helpless whenever the monsters roar. Finally, if any monsters cause a quake effect in Tri, having anti quake is really nice. Until you run into monsters that need though stuff though, you don't really need new armor. It can be nice to have with fast eating or fast item use or attack + but thats all just extra stuff you don't need.

Grinded to HR5 tonight. I think I played some 6 hours today. I'm pooped!

EDIT: I was REALLY pooped...I don't know how that HR5 turned into HR54! My bad. I'm at HR 5.

[quote name='Knoxximus']Grinded to HR54 tonight. I think I played some 6 hours today. I'm pooped![/QUOTE]

Holy crap, dude. I'm only at 6, am I'm about 400 points or so from hitting 7 after finishing all of my 1-star quests.

I'm FINALLY at my last 3-star Quest, which is hunting a Gobul. I want to unlock 2-star online quests before then.

I started playing this last night and so far so good... except for the "research" thing, or whatever it's called. The game said something about opening the game menu and then holding B to enter lookaround mode and then move the cursor and press A on a monster. Or something kind of like that. I'm using a Classic Controller Pro. How exactly do you do this? Probably I'm just royally confused. Anyway, I had fun with the first few mini monster hunts (herbivores and then carnivores), though I haven't made sense of a lot of the menus, item combining, etc, yet. Anyway, back to the question: how do you do that research thing with a CCP?

I was confused by it too and it's really the only part of the game I'm not a fan of. But to do so, hit the - button on the controller and go to I think it's called hunter's guide. When you see a book like icon in the bottom right, use the pointer and when you get a lock, drag it down to the book.

[quote name='JStryke']I was confused by it too and it's really the only part of the game I'm not a fan of. But to do so, hit the - button on the controller and go to I think it's called hunter's guide. When you see a book like icon in the bottom right, use the pointer and when you get a lock, drag it down to the book.[/QUOTE]

You mean use the remote? I tried that, but it wasn't doing anything, but I don't think there was a book icon, so I guess I just need to make sure I'm in the Hunter's Guide. Correct? Will give it a shot the next time I get a chance to play.

- button on the classic controller. Didn't try hitting it on the remote so don't know if that would work or not. And I "think" it's called hunter's guide. If you look through the menu, it should be obvious what I mean if that's not correct.

[quote name='crystalklear64']If you're good at dodging the only reason you need armor is for the skills, so I haven't made it too far in Tri, but in the PSP version you usually want new armor for the Sharpness+ skill to help from "bouncing" your attacks off of monsters as their skins get tougher. High grade ear plugs is also really nice to have to stop yourself from becoming helpless whenever the monsters roar. Finally, if any monsters cause a quake effect in Tri, having anti quake is really nice. Until you run into monsters that need though stuff though, you don't really need new armor. It can be nice to have with fast eating or fast item use or attack + but thats all just extra stuff you don't need.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip.

With school really picking up, I need to keep myself away from this game. I don't want to just casually play on and off, I want to invest some serious time into it.

See you guys in June :wave:

[quote name='JStryke']I was confused by it too and it's really the only part of the game I'm not a fan of. But to do so, hit the - button on the controller and go to I think it's called hunter's guide. When you see a book like icon in the bottom right, use the pointer and when you get a lock, drag it down to the book.[/QUOTE]

Yep! The trick is when you drag it to the book, don't release both buttons at the same time!...just the A button.:cool:

Just received my copy of the game and controller from Amazon yesterday. I am completely new to the series but watched the gametrailers review and it looked like a lot of fun so I said "what the hell" and decided to give it a try. I haven't played it yet but the new classic controller seems better than the original one. Looking forward to slaying some beasties in the near future.

[quote name='Knoxximus']Yep! The trick is when you drag it to the book, don't release both buttons at the same time!...just the A button.:cool:[/QUOTE]

Now you guys have really confused me, but I'll just try again and see what happens....

[quote name='crunchewy']Now you guys have really confused me, but I'll just try again and see what happens....[/QUOTE]

It took me a minute too. Here, let me try...

1) Push (-) button to open menu.

2) Select "Hunters Notes", and press A.

3) Now, hang on to the Classic Controller Pro in your left and and pick up the Wiimote in your right hand (or whatever hand preference you prefer).

4) Hold down the B button on the Wiimote to bring up the cursor.

5) Aim the Wiimote/cursor at your target monster. You can actually do this well out of harms way, FYI.

6) When the target is acquired, then push the A button. You now are "pinching" the monster data with fingers on both A and B buttons of the Wiimote.

7) While keeping B/A depressed, drag the monster data to the bottom right of the screen to the book icon thingy.

8) Now, while keeping B depressed, release the A button. This will register the info to your Monster Book. If you let go of both buttons or just the B button, you will have to repeat from step 4.

Hope this helps!:bouncy:

:lol: Wow that's complicated. I guess that's one clear benefit to using the remote control scheme - open Hunter's Notes, hold Z, pinch the monster with A and B, drop in notebook.

You can also use the remote to point at various skills and other things to get more information. I imagine it would be the same deal to do that while using the CC.

[quote name='Knoxximus']It took me a minute too. Here, let me try...

1) Push (-) button to open menu.

2) Select "Hunters Notes", and press A.

3) Now, hang on to the Classic Controller Pro in your left and and pick up the Wiimote in your right hand (or whatever hand preference you prefer).

4) Hold down the B button on the Wiimote to bring up the cursor.

5) Aim the Wiimote/cursor at your target monster. You can actually do this well out of harms way, FYI.

6) When the target is acquired, then push the A button. You now are "pinching" the monster data with fingers on both A and B buttons of the Wiimote.

7) While keeping B/A depressed, drag the monster data to the bottom right of the screen to the book icon thingy.

8) Now, while keeping B depressed, release the A button. This will register the info to your Monster Book. If you let go of both buttons or just the B button, you will have to repeat from step 4.

Hope this helps!:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Woohoo! Yes, that helps - thanks!

I have a better way of getting to the Hunter's Notes, press R when you open up the menu, way faster then going to it. :p

Anyway, wow this thread had a big boost in activity within one night and morning. o.o

Dodging can be pretty tough in this game a bit, especially when the monster just decides to continuously doing an attack (Ludroth's Roll, Great Jaggi's Hip check, etc).

I'll be playing the offline a bit today, tried fighting a Gigginox but got quite annoying since he just runs and jumps to the ceiling like a wimp. I'll play Online a bit later today and probably for a lot longer then 10 tonight. Right now I want to play Star Wars The Force Unleashed.

Anyone wanna play online at around 6 pm?

@SuperPhilip - When you select your character to begin playing, you'll be given the option to either go to the Village, or the City. Select the City (to the right of the Village). Once you do that select one of the boxes that say "NO DATA", it will connect you to the online service and you have to accept an agreement. After that, go back to the screen with the boxes that say "NO DATA". You will see in the box you select your name, and then a 6 character Capcom ID below.

Sorry if my instructions are a little rough, its fairly self explanatory once you select the City.

bread's done
Back