MORTAL KOMBAT!!!! - "Komplete Edition" coming Feb 28th - see post 970

[quote name='AlphaPanda']I'm actually having trouble with the Jax mission where you have to kill the Tartakans or whatever they are as they come running toward you. The bigass one that can take 10 hits just...won't die. I've only just started the Mission Tower, so I haven't given it that many tries, but it was frustrating me.[/QUOTE]

Just mash the projectile. If you literally never stop firing projectiles then you cannot lose.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']I always get the feeling that I'd enjoy the fighting games that I own a lot more if I had a fighting stick. It's still fun, but a stick seems like it's definitely the way to go. I guess I'll try to see if I can find one for cheap.[/QUOTE]

The 360 controller really is terrible for fighting games, but the reality is, 1) a controller is pretty much fine for learning the basics of the game and doing bnb combos (this goes for almost any fighting game), and 2) execution is going to get a lot worse before it gets a lot better with a stick. There's a learning period with a stick that could take a few weeks or it could take a few months. It'll take a lot of time to become proficient with it. At first, you're going to be clumsy and you won't actually be able to do everything that you were able to with the simple controller. Picking one up won't automatically make you a better player, nor will it improve your execution until you spend a lot of time with it... even then it's not guaranteed.

[quote name='evilmojo12542']I will never buy another mortal kombat after this one. someone explain to me why they make shaokhan 5-6 times stronger than you?. I dropped to beginer and have spent more time fighting shaokan with raiden at end of story area than took me to get there. this is bull crap I get5% on a combo it hits me for a 3hit combo for 52% and that is on the easiest setting. only way to win is sure dumb luck. they have taken all fun out of this game[/QUOTE]

The final boss is dumb, and you'll get killed if you just try to straight up fight him, but his A.I. is ass and exploitable. Run away, wait for him to do something, teleport and uppercut/teleport and superman. Rinse and repeat. And it's hardly grounds to write off the rest of the game/series just because you don't agree with a design choice. He's actually pretty mild, as far as fighting game bosses go. Almost like a puzzle game.

Last edited by a moderator:
MK has always been a game that was more focused on competitive play, storymode/arcade made was always in favor of the cpu but as said you can exploit their AI...while it's not full proof it is doable if you're consistant. Look at the achievements, some of them are just ridiculous or impossible for most players. Even the ones for MK vs. DCU were retarded or just called for addict lvl devotion.

...besides, I don't think they'll be another MK game after this one for a long time as this has solo, tag mode, and potentially a lot of DLC on the way.

As someone without the means to purchase new games, I just want to say that the demo never coming out on Xbox makes me very angry. Then again Xbox can still go online so I guess PS3 had to get something.

[quote name='evilmojo12542']someone explain to me why they make shaokhan 5-6 times stronger than you?[/QUOTE]

He's the boss. Bosses are hard. You're welcome.

[quote name='100xp']MK has always been a game that was more focused on competitive play, storymode/arcade made was always in favor of the cpu but as said you can exploit their AI...while it's not full proof it is doable if you're consistant. Look at the achievements, some of them are just ridiculous or impossible for most players. Even the ones for MK vs. DCU were retarded or just called for addict lvl devotion.

...besides, I don't think they'll be another MK game after this one for a long time as this has solo, tag mode, and potentially a lot of DLC on the way.[/QUOTE]

i would guarantee another MK soon, within 2 years, especially sooner if they get a movie into production because of success with this new game and the youtube series.

[quote name='evilmojo12542']I will never buy another mortal kombat after this one. someone explain to me why they make shaokhan 5-6 times stronger than you?. I dropped to beginer and have spent more time fighting shaokan with raiden at end of story area than took me to get there. this is bull crap I get5% on a combo it hits me for a 3hit combo for 52% and that is on the easiest setting. only way to win is sure dumb luck. they have taken all fun out of this game[/QUOTE]

Well it's pretty easy to beat him on normal or above, you just have to learn the special moves and use them at correct times. I was having major issues with him also until i read some things online about using his teleport when you see him start his hammer or spear throw. You'll be behind him and do a quick combo and end it with an uppercut so you get some distance and keep repeating.

within 2 years? I don't see what they would do to enhance the MK9 experience that DLC can't already do...perhaps if they pulled a Capcom within 2 years perhaps, but then I wouldn't want to buy Super MK9, or Super MK9 Arcade Edition.

[quote name='oldboy26']
Well it's pretty easy to beat him on normal or above, you just have to learn the special moves and use them at correct times. I was having major issues with him also until i read some things online about using his teleport when you see him start his hammer or spear throw. You'll be behind him and do a quick combo and end it with an uppercut so you get some distance and keep repeating.[/QUOTE]

Yup! He's one of the easiest fighting game bosses to cheese I've ever seen. Once I got his pattern down, I was one hit away from a flawless victory on him.

if you are really having problems with him, the absolute noobiest way to beat him is to stay just far enough away from him that he can't hit you. When he walks towards you, slowly walk away to keep that same distance. He will taunt every single time, then just superman, jump away and do it all again. You won't actually kill him, but time will run out and he'll die lol.

Yeah I'm sick of hearing Shao Kahn whining. In the arcade he was just as cheap. You couldn't fight him the same way you fought the rest of the kombatants - you had to find patterns in his AI and exploit it. It's obvious they just did the same thing, as an homage, in this game.

[quote name='Donkey132']if you are really having problems with him, the absolute noobiest way to beat him is to stay just far enough away from him that he can't hit you. When he walks towards you, slowly walk away to keep that same distance. He will taunt every single time, then just superman, jump away and do it all again. You won't actually kill him, but time will run out and he'll die lol.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Yeah I'm sick of hearing Shao Kahn whining. In the arcade he was just as cheap. You couldn't fight him the same way you fought the rest of the kombatants - you had to find patterns in his AI and exploit it. It's obvious they just did the same thing, as an homage, in this game.[/QUOTE]

An homage or they simply don't know how to program decent AI after all these years. I lean towards the latter, but it could be either one.

found a neat combo with sub. some people online gave me a thumbs up for creativity haha.

iceclone at athe right spot, do his meter slide, hope it lands on the clone for an air freeze! from there it's pretty much uppercut ot hot the combo dont miss. :)

I started this game yesterday and really liked what I'd payed of it.

Is it just me or is the 360 stick really bad for this game? I was really struggling with things like Scorpions Spear and his fatality. I'll switch to my arcade stick next time I play it I think.

[quote name='benjamouth']I started this game yesterday and really liked what I'd payed of it.

Is it just me or is the 360 stick really bad for this game? I was really struggling with things like Scorpions Spear and his fatality. I'll switch to my arcade stick next time I play it I think.[/QUOTE]

The tournament stick makes a HUGE difference vs the regular controller. After a picked one up, my GF wanted one. So, we now own 2 TE and 1 KE of the game. It's disgusting, I know.

I love mortal kombat. it is really very nice game and i am playing it since 2004 and i still love it. i hope that this one also gonna be very nice. i will buy it for sure. by the way you find very good information about it.

thanks!!

[quote name='Kevfactor']found a neat combo with sub. some people online gave me a thumbs up for creativity haha.

iceclone at athe right spot, do his meter slide, hope it lands on the clone for an air freeze! from there it's pretty much uppercut ot hot the combo dont miss. :)[/QUOTE]

I'll be more impressed when you come in and post about cool kombos you discovered with Sindel, Quan Chi, or Nightwolf. :)

[quote name='thrustbucket']I'll be more impressed when you come in and post about cool kombos you discovered with Sindel, Quan Chi, or Nightwolf. :)[/QUOTE]
can only play chrs i like lol
sindel is a witch, see enough of them in rl =p
night wolf maybe but im still trying to learn zero, cage and mill :)

I must admit, I yelled Mortal Kombat! after I finally beat the challenge tower today...I felt it was appropriate. *bows*

[quote name='Kevfactor']can only play chrs i like lol
sindel is a witch, see enough of them in rl =p
night wolf maybe but im still trying to learn zero, cage and mill :)[/QUOTE]

I'm just giving you jazz because everyone plays the ninjas. They are the ken and ryu of the franchise.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I'm just giving you jazz because everyone plays the ninjas. They are the ken and ryu of the franchise.[/QUOTE]

Except in this game, there are as many "ninjas" as non-ninjas. :p

Finished the Challenge Tower a few days ago. After losing all my data last week, it was quite a grind. The End Game wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Challenge 300 just requires a solid bnb and getting the A.I. into the crossover j.HP loop.

[quote name='GuardianE']Except in this game, there are as many "ninjas" as non-ninjas. :p

Finished the Challenge Tower a few days ago. After losing all my data last week, it was quite a grind. The End Game wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Challenge 300 just requires a solid bnb and getting the A.I. into the crossover j.HP loop.[/QUOTE]

ninjas are just cool, and considering most of the popular fighting games have so few if any...it's nice to be able to ninja it up. Still if you watch a lot of the competitive players liu kang, johnny cage, and "insert ninja here" seem the most popular.

I was surprised how challenge 300 didn't frustrate me as earlier challenges did...now I hope there's a place to spend all these koins I've accum'd.

[quote name='100xp']ninjas are just cool, and considering most of the popular fighting games have so few if any...it's nice to be able to ninja it up. Still if you watch a lot of the competitive players liu kang, johnny cage, and "insert ninja here" seem the most popular.

I was surprised how challenge 300 didn't frustrate me as earlier challenges did...now I hope there's a place to spend all these koins I've accum'd.[/QUOTE]

I'd never dispute the coolness factor of ninjas. I just think it's funny when someone says "everyone plays the ninjas" when ninjas comprise 30% of the cast.

I always liked reptile, but I'm not a big fan of his current costumes...for any other game where his appearance would be a reptilian warrior, it's awesome but as the reptile I grew up with and remember? I much prefer the classic costume because you didn't know he was V until he spit acid on you or ate your face.

[quote name='eastx']An homage or they simply don't know how to program decent AI after all these years. I lean towards the latter, but it could be either one.[/QUOTE]

It's obviously intentional the way Kahn fights. Come on.

Any tips for
fighting Shao Kahn as Lui Kang? Seriously, I'm currently sitting at the TV on my 8th try of trying to beat him, and I can't even come close. It's the most frustrated I've been in a game in a long while, and it's on Easy. Him going through attacks, the damage he does, and then, to top it off, I was 5% away from killing him one round and he landed his X-Ray. I just got beat by him from getting trapped in a corner and him spamming the Hammer Attack at my knees 6 times until I died. Whaddafack.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Any tips for
fighting Shao Kahn as Lui Kang? Seriously, I'm currently sitting at the TV on my 8th try of trying to beat him, and I can't even come close. It's the most frustrated I've been in a game in a long while, and it's on Easy. Him going through attacks, the damage he does, and then, to top it off, I was 5% away from killing him one round and he landed his X-Ray. I just got beat by him from getting trapped in a corner and him spamming the Hammer Attack at my knees 6 times until I died. Whaddafack.
[/QUOTE]

As soon as the match starts, get away from him and spam low fireballs. When he taunts, flying kick him and back off again. It's cheap, but it worked for me.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Any tips for
[/QUOTE]
People have recommended just spamming fireballs. I personally beat him by jumping over him and bicycling kick repeatedly. Some of his 'invincible frames' don't last long enough to stop the bicycle kick.

Not sure why that's spoilered - there has already been discussion about fighting Shao Kahn. I don't think anyone is going to be exactly shocked when they get to the end of story mode and (GASP) have to fight Shao Kahn.

lol @ top 4 being SFIV players.I'm glad Justin won. Though I wish the Grand Finals had been a little more exciting, and not a rehash of Wednesday Night Fights.
Also, hilarious that a PDP stick dies during a PDP tournament.

Is there are character list of who was played at the tournament and who won? I read that Kung Lao was played in the final match, but couldn't easily find the other characters.

I don't know if there's a character list, but I did watch the Top 8.

Kung Lao was predominantly played. Wong, and Perfect Legend used him, among others. Everyone seemed to have a Kung Lao up his sleeve.

Ermac was a very popular choice as well. Floe mained him, and a lot of other players switched back and forth to Ermac.

Cyrax was probably the third most used.

Raiden was represented by Fubarduck.

And I think that Perfect Legend or someone used Cybersubzero and Shang Tsung for one game a piece. Both were pretty unremarkable performances, and kind of desperation moves in the final sets.

I was watching the tournament on & off throughout the weekend. Pretty interesting play, I was a little surprised at how many Kung Laos there were. I know he's probably the best character in the game, but damn. I heard a few times on the stream that NRS is planning on nerfing his damage soon. I was disappointed by the lack of Liu Kang love in top 8.

By the way, I saw Tom Brady there but did he not enter the tournament?

Fubarduck's Raiden inspired me to start messing around with him in training. His BnB is a little tricky at first, but pretty cool. I can't seem to get his teleport combo though (3, 3, 4 ~teleport, shocker, b.3, 1, 2, superman). I can't get the shocker to connect after the teleport.
----------

I just really hope the online patch hits soon. It's so inconsistent. Last night I had everything ranging from a solid connection to I can't block Sub Zero's slide from full-screen :cry:.

PS: MK footsies are weird.

[quote name='MtlTom']I was watching the tournament on & off throughout the weekend. Pretty interesting play, I was a little surprised at how many Kung Laos there were. I know he's probably the best character in the game, but damn. I heard a few times on the stream that NRS is planning on nerfing his damage soon. I was disappointed by the lack of Liu Kang love in top 8.

By the way, I saw Tom Brady there but did he not enter the tournament?

Fubarduck's Raiden inspired me to start messing around with him in training. His BnB is a little tricky at first, but pretty cool. I can't seem to get his teleport combo though (3, 3, 4 ~teleport, shocker, b.3, 1, 2, superman). I can't get the shocker to connect after the teleport.
----------

I just really hope the online patch hits soon. It's so inconsistent. Last night I had everything ranging from a solid connection to I can't block Sub Zero's slide from full-screen :cry:.

PS: MK footsies are weird.[/QUOTE]

This may not apply, since I know nothing about Raiden, but I know that the PDP tournament was played off of the unpatched version of the game. Could it have been something that only works pre-patch? Then again, if you're trying it in training mode, then you would be playing the unpatched version of the game as well... so I guess it might not make a difference.

I read that Tom Brady couldn't participate because he helped with early builds of the game? That might be total BS, though. Not sure why Tom Brady wasn't playing.

Tom brady played in an 8 man side bet tournament there. He won of course. I was really pulling for Joe to win the main tourney though.

The way they have the layout for online play is just foolish in MK9. They had it correct in UMK3, with 4 people to a room. Simply select "quick match" and you're in a game, or custom match to see a list of all games and if the room says 4/4, you join a different room. If you loose, you only have to wait 2 matches max befor it's your turn to play again.

Trying it on MK9 it simply times out and in order to play against someone, you have to join a room, select someone, then join the ladder match or invite them to fight.

Patch needs to correct the issue of being able to quickly get into a game.

Silent Patch time!
http://testyourmight.com/forum/cont...-Mortal-Kombat-9-special-thanks-to-tom-brady&

Reduced some of Kung Lao’s combo and overall damage.
• Reduced the damage on some special moves.
• Increased the damage scaling after Kitana’s Enhanced ground fan toss.
• Adjusted some juggle’s damage scaling.
• Reduced the damage on some basic combos that were doing too much damage without using any meter.
• Increased Sheeva’s damage output for several of her moves and attacks.
• Temporarily Changed around some of Sonya’s fighting style properties to reduce her ability to lock someone down in block stun.
• Changed Kano’s Towards f+fk to a low block.
• Reduced the recovery on Kano’s Upball to be closer to Johnny Cage’s Flip Kick recovery.
• Increased the damage of some of Baraka’s special moves and attacks.
• It is easy to juggle combo after hitting someone with Baraka’s chopchop on the ground.
• Increased the damage scaling on a frozen opponent.
• Baraka’s Away b+FP, FK combo is now a true popup.
According to Tom Brady on the stream last night there's a full on patch coming in like 2-4 weeks. This will supposedly improve the netcode dramatically. There are also some character changes coming, like Smoke losing his OTG Bomb ability

ahh good.i pretty much put this game on hold after i seen some of the awful net code haha. like MVC is bad with the errors and junk but not being able toss a jab in after blocking is just pretty bad haha. would see people chain combos and t hen do 3 frame jabs afterwards. :)

bread's done
Back