Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe - Gen. Discussion & Info.

So jax wasted a space. I mean there are only 3 spots left with names like Raiden, Baraka, Kung Lao, Reptile, Quan Chi still off the list. Im guessing more dissapointment coming if they announce the next three as Raiden, Johnny Cage, and Kano.

[quote name='akilshohen']and Li Mei also....
[/quote]

I think Li Mei vs Catwoman would be awesome as Catwoman has a lot of acrobatic moves and so did Li Mei in past MK games, well Li Mei only had those acrobatic special moves like her back flip kick and het front flip kick but still they could expand on those abilities to match Catwoman.

I hope the characters alternate costume offer a completely different view. Like Batman with possibly Batman Beyonds, Grendal, or The Dark Knight, Green Lantern as other GL's, Superman, with Superboy, Superman Red/Blue (electric one)...etc. It would be a fun mix and definately add more gameplay hours.

[quote name='buterbals']I think Li Mei vs Catwoman would be awesome as Catwoman has a lot of acrobatic moves and so did Li Mei in past MK games, well Li Mei only had those acrobatic special moves like her back flip kick and het front flip kick but still they could expand on those abilities to match Catwoman.[/quote]
yeah, she felt the most fluid in the 3-d Mortal Kombat games IMO

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I hope the characters alternate costume offer a completely different view. Like Batman with possibly Batman Beyonds, Grendal, or The Dark Knight, Green Lantern as other GL's, Superman, with Superboy, Superman Red/Blue (electric one)...etc. It would be a fun mix and definately add more gameplay hours.[/quote]

Someone asked that at E3 while we were getting a demo and he said "No".

The alternate costumes only occur when the same character is picked by both players. And the differences are just a bit of color tone as to make out which is which.

[quote name='chasemurata']I would say comic Joker is more sadistic than Ledger's Joker, as seen in The Killing Joke (
shooting, paralyzing, and stripping Barbara Gordon
), Death in the Family (
torturing and murdering Jason Todd
), and No Man's Land (
murdering Commissioner Gordon's wife
).

As for the animated series', Return of the Joker saw Joker
abduct, torture, and mutilate a young Tim Drake

However, I understand how people could so highly-regard Ledger's Joker. One reason would be the difference in the mediums. Another, would be not having read the comics.

In any event, it doesn't particularly matter. ;)[/quote]
And in the Killing Joke
taking pictures of naked Barbara Gordan in all her agony and showing it to James in hopes of making him snap

[quote name='Psykoboy2']Someone asked that at E3 while we were getting a demo and he said "No".

The alternate costumes only occur when the same character is picked by both players. And the differences are just a bit of color tone as to make out which is which.[/quote]

Aw...weak. Its not a decision that will keep me from buying it, but would have bee a great addition.

Ah yes, the ol Ledger's Joker is more sadistic argument. It is not that he is more sadistic, they just manage to make him both a lunatic AND a mastermind. In the comics he is just a wack job that joins silly groups led by people like Libra and Luthor.

[quote name='Theduck']Ah yes, the ol Ledger's Joker is more sadistic argument. It is not that he is more sadistic, they just manage to make him both a lunatic AND a mastermind. In the comics he is just a wack job that joins silly groups led by people like Libra and Luthor.[/quote]
B-b-bullshit! In recent issues (specifically Grant Morrison's run), Joker has proven himself insane to the point of just basically seeing things other's don't. By that I mean in the DC Universe $1 Crisis preview it had Joker basically telling Batman to prepare himself for RIP. So there is a method to his madness in some sense. Also in the comics he's more then just a whack job as countless times he's proven Batman is insane (or possibly even more so) then he is (read the last pages of Killing Joke or Arkham Asylum or hell possibly even the Detective Comics where he takes Robin on a "killer" car ride). So Joker is much more then just a simple whack job.

[quote name='Theduck']Ah yes, the ol Ledger's Joker is more sadistic argument. It is not that he is more sadistic, they just manage to make him both a lunatic AND a mastermind. In the comics he is just a wack job that joins silly groups led by people like Libra and Luthor.[/QUOTE]
Uh... No.

In regards to boss characters, I suspect Anti-Monitor, Darkseid, or Mongul. I think Darkseid is a lock as a boss character. Anti-Monitor would be interesting to see in detailed, video game form. Plus, he's the Anti-Monitor. They might have to scale him down, but he would present a very formidable, terrifying character to face after working up to the boss fights. :cold:

[quote name='chasemurata']In regards to boss characters, I suspect Anti-Monitor, Darkseid, or Mongul. I think Darkseid is a lock as a boss character. Anti-Monitor would be interesting to see in detailed, video game form. Plus, he's the Anti-Monitor. They might have to scale him down, but he would present a very formidable, terrifying character to face after working up to the boss fights. :cold:[/QUOTE]

I think that Doomsday and Darkseid are the most logical choices. If it was up to me though, the final boss would be armored Superboy Prime.

Doomsday would be good enough for me, though.

Also, that Joker render is badass.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I think that Doomsday and Darkseid are the most logical choices. If it was up to me though, the final boss would be armored Superboy Prime.

Doomsday would be good enough for me, though.

Also, that Joker render is badass.[/quote]

Ah yes, Superboy Prime. I would love to bash-in his whiny face. :whistle2:#

[quote name='chasemurata']Ah yes, Superman Prime. I would love to bash-in his whiny face. :whistle2:#[/quote]
Fixed. Since it's in copyright and licensing hell for that name...

Goddamn this topic is bringing up nothing, but nerd comic book fanboy rants from me.

At first I wasn't to crazy over the whole idea. I like the old 2d mortal kombat games better than the 3d ones,but I must say this one looks really cool. It reminds me of marvel vs capcom,but in 3d, and dc vs mortal kombat instead. :D

[quote name='Vampire Hunter D']I think i'm mostly sold on it. Haven't bought a fighting game in years. Hope it ends up good.[/quote]

I am the same boat. I have pretty much skipped every MK since II ( a little III) and have not really been into fighting games since. With the exception of Capcom vs SNK.

I am really excited about this. I mean I love comics and the new fighting system things sound pretty cool and makes the game look pretty and dynamic. I have also read nothing but good things from the press who have played the demos, which is good since its still got like 4 months left.

As for a good boss....What about Bane?

That is indeed a good video showcasing what the game is about. I can't wait to see some more new stages though.

As for the boss, since its been reported that its going to be a mash-up, Im not sure what will be done with that. As for the boss on the MK side I hope is Shao Khan.

MK_Hec from the Midway Boards has confirmed that 4 more characters will be revealed at Leipzig, which will be on August 20.

Im guessing that two of those characters will be Wonder Woman and Raiden.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah theres got to be Wonder Woman on the way, Raiden too. In fact im just assuming that'll be the case. So after that it makes 4 more characters yet to be revealed then. Wonder what kind of DLC we can expect. Im thinking 3-6 months after release, 2 new characters and maps.

IGN has just posted up a "new" video (Live Wire Demo). Nothing new is shown. Ed Boon just clarifies a few things in the video:
  • Catwoman will possess a fatality maneuver, and so will the other DC villains.
  • Online support including lobbies and announcements
  • 20 characters plus 1 'big boss', and maybe a secret
  • Multiple fatalities/brutalities
  • Definite possibility of downloadable characters, environments and alternate costumes
  • Also...Boon repeats that Superman is affected by magic.
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/853443/mortal-kombat-next-gen/videos/mkvsdclivewire_072308.html

---------------------------------------------------
Im really hoping that the Downloadable content does happen, as it would make the game that much better. As long as the content isn't overpriced...

Regarding alternate costumes, I would like to see a new design for Sub-Zero as an Ice God, and perhaps a version of Jax that makes me like the character. This version would be called "Stryker." ;) I'm talking about first appearance, backwards cap, blue and white shirt Stryker not black leather, something-out-of-the-X-Men movies Stryker.

As for DC characters, I support mullet Supes, Black Adam, and various Red Son and Kingdom Come versions of characters.

You know the only thing worse than Jax is Stryker. He's the most hated character in the entire series. Even Boon admitted to his character being a mistake.

[quote name='Wolve11']You know the only thing worse than Jax is Stryker. He's the most hated character in the entire series. Even Boon admitted to his character being a mistake.[/quote]

I loved Stryker. :whistle2:(

[quote name='bardockkun']Wasn't Stryker's story that he was a mall cop and somehow ended up in Mortal Kombat?[/QUOTE]

Nah he was a Riot Cop during Shao Kahn's Invasion

Stryker's biography screen in Mortal Kombat 3 revealed that he was the leader of the Riot Control Brigade when Outworld's portal opened over New York City. He attempted to keep order among the populace in the ensuing chaos, but soon all human souls were taken by Shao Kahn with the exception of those that belonged to the chosen warriors. Stryker did not understand why he had been spared until he received a vision from Raiden, instructing him to head west in order to meet with the other chosen warriors and learn about the importance of his survival. Although he did not wish to be one of the few souls that was spared, he entered the fray with the intention of avenging the lives of the innocent that he had vowed to serve and protect. Along with the other warriors, Stryker assisted in liberating Earthrealm from Shao Kahn's clutches. He later reappeared in Mortal Kombat: Armageddon with a complete redesign, including clothing resembling riot gear.

In Stryker's Armageddon ending, he defeats Blaze and becomes so powerful that he feels he can no longer be restricted by law. He becomes a vigilante and plans to strike down all the wicked himself.

His baton moves were great, dang it. :whistle2:(

I also want Kabal. I think a Flash/Kabal fight would be interesting. :oops:

Damn, I don't know how I got the Stryker as a mall cop thing in my head. I always thought/wished the complete story was that he was a mall cop and one day the mall he was working at got sucked into Outworld and now he must defend the shoppers by competing in the Mortal Kombat tournament.

That sounds more like a bad Evil Dead fanfic then it does Mortal Kombat story now that I voiced that aloud.

I'd prefer Stryker over Jax anytime. I actually liked him in MK3, and in MKA.

Yes, he wasn't that original but he was still fun to play with. Since MK3 took place on Earth it made sense to have some sort of authority figure in the game.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I want Sektor and Cyrax![/quote]

Hopefully we do see at least one of the cyborgs. From Cyrax, Sektor and Smoke, I'd want Cyrax to be in the game.

[quote name='Wolve11']You know the only thing worse than Jax is Stryker. He's the most hated character in the entire series. Even Boon admitted to his character being a mistake.[/quote]

I always liked him and used him a lot. I didn't know he was so hated.

MKast #4 is up on www.worldscollide.com.

I'll be updating with new information that comes out of it. If any.

- You can listen to the Joker's laugh, not sure if that's in game sounds. They also say that its a possibility to have the Joker portrayed by Heath Ledger as DLC, but that would be up to DC.
- Comic Book included in Collector's Edition of the game, which was done by John Tobias.

I'm glad the Joker doesn't look like crap. I was sold as long as him and Shang Tsung were in it. I just hope Shang Tsung can change. Now that I think about it didnt they change him so he could not change like in the older games? Something about he lost all the souls or something had happend to keep him from it?

[quote name='whoknows']This game is going to be so awesome.

Reminds me though that I've never played Armageddon...is that worth playing?[/QUOTE]

Only if you get it for 10 bucks or less. It was passable but there's little reason to pick it up now. Huge roster but the game itself seemed to be a step back from MK Deception.

[quote name='whoknows']This game is going to be so awesome.

Reminds me though that I've never played Armageddon...is that worth playing?[/quote]

Wait for the 3 pack, Armageddon, Deception, Shaolin Monks PS2 pack to come out. SM is a great game, i played through it so many times. Deception has a really fun konquest mode, and armageddon has every character ever...well except Khameleon.

I thought Khameleon was Reptile.
[quote name='The 7th Number']Wait for the 3 pack, Armageddon, Deception, Shaolin Monks PS2 pack to come out. SM is a great game, i played through it so many times. Deception has a really fun konquest mode, and armageddon has every character ever...well except Khameleon.[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']I thought Khameleon was Reptile.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Khameleon is a female of Reptile's race.

Chameleon is male and his backstory is pretty vague and undeveloped.

[quote name='buterbals']MKast #4 is up on www.worldscollide.com.

I'll be updating with new information that comes out of it. If any.

- You can listen to the Joker's laugh, not sure if that's in game sounds. They also say that its a possibility to have the Joker portrayed by Heath Ledger as DLC, but that would be up to DC.
- Comic Book included in Collector's Edition of the game, which was done by John Tobias.[/quote]

If Ledger's Joker is added as DLC, I guarantee there will be people who create fan videos depicting Joker, say, getting his head torn off with the quote, "Why so dead?"

I also read about how Dan "Toasty" Forden might make a cameo in this game. It would be neat if they added more minor, special treats. Hey, maybe some new treats, too. :drool:

I just listened to Mkast #4; they said, yes there will be a Kollectors edition. Included will be a comic book drawn by ..... John Tobis. The more and more I hear the more I want this game it has officaly became a day 1 for me.

bread's done
Back