Most loved by you, but never heard of by others

Mendel Palace - NES (Quinty is the Japanese name)

I can't believe I actually found a commercial on youtube for it. This game is fucking awesome. First game by Game Freak, the makers of Pokemon (this game is nothing like pokemon though). It is a action/puzzler (I don't know how else to describe it.)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxrS65c62WI[/media]

Japanese Quinty commercial.

http://reklamyftp.gry-online.pl/051214/c/cmqshort2.swf (Couldn't use the media tag as this just keeps loopping forever.)

http://www.gamespot.com/nes/action/quinty/index.html
http://www.answers.com/topic/mendel-palace

Solomon's Key for NES-My friends grandma used to play that game all the time when she'd babysit us. I always wanted to get the game but ended up getting:

Solomon's Club for GB- instead. Pretty fun game too.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Solomon's Key for NES-My friends grandma used to play that game all the time when she'd babysit us. I always wanted to get the game but ended up getting:

Solomon's Club for GB- instead. Pretty fun game too.[/quote]

Yes! Solomon Key was a cool game.

Here is a Solomon's Key speed run.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV1lzZo-D5w[/media]

I don't know what's more impressive, the fact that they completed Solomon's Key in under 30 minutes or just the fact that they completed it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I don't know what's more impressive, the fact that they completed Solomon's Key in under 30 minutes or just the fact that they completed it.[/quote]

Tell me about it. That was one hard game.

I liked Cyborg Justice for the Sega Genesis, where you could customize certain parts of the robot and beat each other in a dual style or the main game where you walk left to right beating up anyone who gets in your way. I think a lot of people didn't like this game because it didn't look too good at the time and the cool moves were difficult to perform.

I hope these posts by me aren't getting irritating, but I am loving this thread! I rented Cyborg Justice once when I was younger, and I could never remember what it was called! I even downloaded a bunch of genesis roms looking for it. Thanks for the reminder of the title! Hopefully I have it somewhere in a rom pack!

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I liked Cyborg Justice for the Sega Genesis, where you could customize certain parts of the robot and beat each other in a dual style or the main game where you walk left to right beating up anyone who gets in your way. I think a lot of people didn't like this game because it didn't look too good at the time and the cool moves were difficult to perform.[/quote]

[quote name='Strell']I think it came after MGS though. I remember seeing it as an answer to the MGS series for Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

I was fairly certain it came before MGS on the N64, but I may be wrong. The game gets some heat and is often called imperfect, but it plays quite intensely. Project Poseidon didn't help matters.

"Hey! Let's make a Winback sequel without Jean-Luc!"

"Yeah! That's a great idea!"

"Durr!"

"Durr!"

"High five!"

"Durr!"

[quote name='Koggit']Future Cop: LAPD's (PS1) multiplayer is better than sex.

It was all in the concept. Tight execution, but the concept was extremely fun and unique. If there were a next-gen update, or even remake (over LIVE), I'd quit my job and school just to have more Future Cop time.

Or, hell, just port it to Marketplace with LIVE multiplayer. I'd kill a man infront of his own mother for it.[/quote]

That was a great game. I never played the multiplayer but the single player was great fun. I still have my copy.

My favorite games that no one ever has heard of are

Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)
NBA Jam (SNES)

I think they were popular when they first came out, but no one very talks about them anymore

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!!

Sunset Riders for Sega Genesis....OMG, me and my step brother would play this for hours!

Blue Stinger for DC....i was really into this game, but i beat it in like a couple of days.

[quote name='bobfet1']My favorite games that no one ever has heard of are

Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)
NBA Jam (SNES)

I think they were popular when they first came out, but no one very talks about them anymore

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!![/quote]

I think most people knew about them though (especially NBA Jam). I played them ALL the time.

Most games people are listing were actually good games., just under the radar. So here's some games that generally are NOT well recived, but I enjoyed:

Orphen (PS2)
Battle Arena Toshinden 3 (PSX)
Floating Runner (PSX)
Caveman Games (NES)
Power Rangers (SNES)

[quote name='MarioColbert']I think I am going to kinda break the console-friendly flow of this entire thread, but... Here is my list consisting of a whooping 7 games.

2. Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist

Without a doubt the best game Al Lowe has made. I adore the Leisure Suit Larry games, but this one takes the cake. It's one of the few games that Sierra has done that contained some weird-ass time-based puzzles, and was also the only adventure game _I_ know of to be set in the old west. Seek this one, it's worth every minute.

That's it for me.[/quote]

I liked that game also, though it wasn't my favorite. The point and click adventure games i played the hell out of were The Legend of Kyrandia Series (there were 3 of them). Played exactly like any other point and click adventure game but man i absolutely loved them.

I heard about that game a long time ago (on Penny Arcade I think). I have been meaning to try it out. Doesn't it play like a card game or something? I remember thinking it might be like Etherlords. I bet it is pretty cheap now if you can find it. I should probably go pick it up.

[quote name='Shadow1086']I thought Lost Kingdoms for GCN was pretty enjoyable.[/quote]

[quote name='BKPartisan']I heard about that game a long time ago (on Penny Arcade I think). I have been meaning to try it out. Doesn't it play like a card game or something? I remember thinking it might be like Etherlords. I bet it is pretty cheap now if you can find it. I should probably go pick it up.[/quote]

Yeah, they made it kind of an RPG featuring cards, where you use cards of monsters to attack rather then attacking yourself. A lot of the depth came from building your own deck and having it last through the level you're playing. I never did finish playing it, since I had only rented it, but I too would love to pick it up if it's cheap somewhere.

Mr. Bones for the Saturn: Kind of an obscure game, rarely ever mentioned, but your a skeleton having to get through various levels. Some levels are basic platforming. One level you had to play a guitar (out of the controller) and keep a crowd interested to pass.

Though, any game where your body parts can fall off, and you can pick them back up into the wrong spot (your arm is where a leg is suppose to be), that's quality gaming.

1) Acro The Aerobat GEN/SNES - Pretty good platformer that I loved to play as a kid.

2) Acro The Aerobat 2 GEN/SNES - WAY better than part one, with better level designs, cool bosses, decent story and kickass music.

3) Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel GEN/SNES - Technically the third ATA game, only this time you star as the knuckles-like rival Zero (who's now asian for some reason).

4) Gex 3DO/CDI/PSOne/SATURN - Not that great of a platformer, but I enjotied it when I had my Saturn (I was probably 10 or 11).

5) Gex: Enter the Gecko N64/PS1 - A 3-D followup that kicks Mario 64's ass.

6) Gex: Deep Cover Gecko N64/PS1 - Not as good as the ETG, but still better than M64 :razz:

7) Crystalis NES/GBC - Awesome Zelda clone.

Super Earth Defense Force (SNES) - Great unknown shmup on the SNES.

Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 (SNES) - Great arcade baseball game with fun arcade gameplay with plenty of specials pitches and hits.

Guardian's Crusade (PS1) - Unique RPG with one part Tamagatchi, one part pokemon (dolls instead of animals), and one part somewhat standard RPG. I haven't touched this game in over 8 years, maybe I should pick it up again and try to remember where I left off? :lol:

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spiritis (PS2) - Mixed strategy RPG gameplay with conventional RPG gameplay to make for a very good RPG that almost nobody has even heard of, let alone played.

Jade Cocoon 2 (PS2) - The PS1 version probably deserves to go here as well, but I've played the crap out of this one. Mixes pokemon style gameplay with the art reminiscent of Studio Ghibli's movies with with strategic elemental-based combat that makes it a challenge to play. Unfortunately, I wasn't strong enough to beat the final boss with no reasonable way to level up to beat him. I literally had only the monsters I faced at the beginning of the game to level up with.

Lupin the Third: Treasure of the Sorcerer King (PS2) - Though a little rough around the edges, the gameplay represents the show to the tee with a challenging and rewarding difficulty.

Roadkill (PS2) - Think Twisted Metal meets GTA as you are trying to survive in an apocalyptic wasteland in the 80's with various types of weather, cars, weapons, lots of stuff to do, and great humor.

Rygar (PS2) - The best representation of how to pull off a 3D Castlevania-style game out there. It's tough, too.

Yu Yu Hakusho Tournament Tactics (GBA) - Features the best part of the YYH storyline in a good tactical RPG shell.

MUSHA (Genesis) One of the greatest shooters of all time.

Black Belt (SMS) While everyone was playing Kung Fu (which is a great game for the NES, Arcade), I played this, which was superior and had some great graphics.

Target: Earth (Genesis) Probably the hardest, or one of the hardest games ever made, unless you knew the simple invinisbility code.. Great storyline.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Guardian's Crusade (PS1) - Unique RPG with one part Tamagatchi, one part pokemon (dolls instead of animals), and one part somewhat standard RPG. I haven't touched this game in over 8 years, maybe I should pick it up again and try to remember where I left off? :lol:
[/QUOTE]
I had and beat Guardian's Crusade. Fun little game. I think I found all the toys in it, too.

[quote name='jacobmunford']
Dark Wizard (Sega CD)
[/QUOTE]
I remember owning that for a while, and just couldn't get into it. I think that's before I became such a tactical RPG fan, though. Maybe I'd like it more now.

At least that was an accident. I had an original print of Final Fantasy VII that I let a "friend" borrow. To make a long story short, a mutual friend borrowed a game from the "friend" I will refer to as asshole. Well, asshole lost a rented game from mutual friend and so mutual friend held asshole's game ransom until he was paid for the video store fees. Asshole decides that since I am better friends with mutual friend, that he would hold my game ransom from me until I convince mutual friend to give him his game back. I was in middle school at the time, so I didn't really know how to handle it. I never got it back. If I would have known the game would be as valuable as it is today, I would have sic'ed my mom on his ass. Of course, if the events transpired today, I would have gone over to his house with a baseball bat.

[quote name='d00k']Earthworm Jim 3D for N64

I lent it to a friend, then he went and burned half his house down. He owes me a new Earthworm Jim game.[/quote]

[quote name='BKPartisan']At least that was an accident. I had an original print of Final Fantasy VII that I let a "friend" borrow. To make a long story short, a mutual friend borrowed a game from the "friend" I will refer to as asshole. Well, asshole lost a rented game from mutual friend and so mutual friend held asshole's game ransom until he was paid for the video store fees. Asshole decides that since I am better friends with mutual friend, that he would hold my game ransom from me until I convince mutual friend to give him his game back. I was in middle school at the time, so I didn't really know how to handle it. I never got it back. If I would have known the game would be as valuable as it is today, I would have sic'ed my mom on his ass. Of course, if the events transpired today, I would have gone over to his house with a baseball bat.[/QUOTE]
Good to see you've matured since then. :roll: I'm just messing with you; I see your point. We were all taken advantage of in our formitive years.

Yeah, in my younger days I would have rushed over in a fit of passion and gotten my ass kicked. Old age has taught me to carry a baseball bat.

Seriously, though, I'm just pissed I ever let it out of my hands. Honestly, I doubt I could ever hit someone with a baseball bat who wasn't trying to kill me. Have you ever seen Better Luck Tomorrow? That is some malicious shit.

Anyways, not to go OT too much, how about Tetris Battle Gaiden for SNES? I have no idea what the level of popularity this game experienced in Japan, but I don't know anyone here in the states who has played it. I downloaded a ROM of it a few years back, and absolutely loved it. It's just too bad I can't read any of the menus :)

[quote name='ViolentLee']Good to see you've matured since then. :roll: I'm just messing with you; I see your point. We were all taken advantage of in our formitive years.[/quote]

I second S.O.S. from a few pages back, for the SNES. Great game!

Super Ninja Boy on the SNES - I was really into this when I was younger.
Young Merlin on SNES - A very weird adventure game with a lot of great ideas mixed with bad ones, but just enough balance to make it worthwhile.
Cosmic Spacehead on Genesis - a really strange puzzle/adventure/platformer title, made by Codemasters.
Ghoul School on the NES - weird, fun game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spiritis (PS2) - Mixed strategy RPG gameplay with conventional RPG gameplay to make for a very good RPG that almost nobody has even heard of, let alone played.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with that. Plus the last boss was a good challange. Too bad End of Darkness sucked, it was such a good idea. Bring back all the characters from the Arc the Lad series.

In the Hunt for PS1, but it was also released on Sega Saturn.
Zombies Ate My Neighbors for SNES. I think most people have heard about this though.

bread's done
Back