Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video / Game Zone 3.99 PS2,GC,XBOX Preplayed Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVila

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
From now until further notice all preplayed PS2,XBOX and GC titles are 3.99. From the Movie Gallery store I work at I picked up 2 copies of Mercenaries 2 and Guitar Hero 3.

Also if your Movie Gallery has a Game Zone all preplayed Wii, 360 and PS3 games are 25% off. Most of the next gen games that are preplayed in the Game Zone sections come as trade-ins so you can generally find good copies its just that the selection wont be as good as a Gamestop.

Edit by Io - For those with Hollywood Videos around note that this sale applies only to stores that DO NOT have Gamecrazy's attached. Also, it is still highly YMMV at any given store. Some don't participate (manager's discretion) and some are just clueless and think you are talking about the concurrent $3.99 movie deal (which requires 2 rentals and only applies to movies $12.99 and under). I've gone to about 6 stores and have gotten about 4 different versions of the deal. There is a code they can scan that makes all these games come out to $3.99 no matter whether you rent or not and no matter what the original prices are - it is just YMMV whether they can A) Find that code and B) Choose to apply it to the games you want to buy ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jer7583']I kinda screwed up buying Cabela's Alaskan Adventures today.. got it mixed up with those other cabelas games that trade for more.. shit.[/quote]
Same thing happened to me today when I flipped five games. I suppose I also wouldn't have incurred $3 in refurb fees if I wouldn't have insulted the clerk's football team before he finished the transaction. Green Bay still sucks though.

Over a week into the promotion I was still able to snag a few '09 EA games and a few other nice ones. Even yesterday I was able to get around 15-20 games that weren't big $$$ flips, I've still been able to trade them for decent bucks. I'd say I've invested about $90 and have over $220 in credit. Figure I'll be paying at most half-price for a new PS3. Not bad for driving a few PS2 games across town.:cool:

[quote name='guessed']Heads up to anyone who has been passing on Mario Power Tennis (GC, of course) because of the reported $5.75 TiV. Somebody I know may have just traded it in to GS for $10.75 before bonuses.[/quote]

The price would have to have gone up, then. I can confirm the $5.75 price was right a few weeks ago.

[quote name='david12795']Oh Right i forgot :bouncy:

I wonder if they still have tales of symphonia[/quote]
I just picked up 2 copies in mint condition, but I already traded them in.
I would've just sold it to you for like $8 shipped or something.:lol:

[quote name='newlu']I just picked up 2 copies in mint condition, but I already traded them in.
I would've just sold it to you for like $8 shipped or something.:lol:[/quote]

:(

You know guys, you should offer to sell me some gamecube games before trading them in to gamestop ;)

Word of caution-- I bought a Gears of Wars refresh (the one with the second bonus disc that was released earlier this summer) and the HW computers would not allow the trade. Completely bogus, but that's all right. Just keep that in mind, may be like that at your guy's stores.

Picked up:

:ps2:
x2 GTA San Andreas

:xbox:
Star Wars KOTOR 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2

Traded in 1 GTA and KOTOR 2 at GS. Tried the other 2 at another but they wouldn't take it because of the Hot Coffee.

My HV still has copies of Kindom Hearts 2 black label (complete, no Hollywood Video cover) and a few other interesting tidbits (just bought Suikoden 4 lastn ight). Anyone need a non-GH Kingdom Hearts?

Oh, this is gonna be fun. I'm hungover from a long night on Rush Street in Chi-town. I drove 3 hours out here for a Smashing Pumpkins concert only to find out it's been cancelled/postponed, and the trip has turned for better and worse.

Yes this is OT, but I'm thanking CAG for adding a better turn to the trip home. My girlfriend just surprised me with a map from Google routed to hit EVERY MG or HWV that doesn't steer us offtrack for more than 10 minutes. Once this aspirin kicks in, and after taking the lady out shopping a bit, my trip home may very well fill my car with old-gen games.

Anyone looking for something specific to keep? Let me know and I'll keep an eye out.

The Hollywood video in my neighborhood is only selling games marked $17.99 and under for $4, although the sign does not mention anything about any restrictions, which sucks because I wanted to pick up a few copies of Mercs 2, madden and Zeld TP so I could take advantage of the %30 xtra TIV at Gamestop then use the credit for the buy 2 get 1 free they have on Black Friday every year. Hollywood is lame.

[quote name='xfade'] My girlfriend just surprised me with a map from Google routed to hit EVERY MG or HWV that doesn't steer us offtrack for more than 10 minutes. Once this aspirin kicks in, and after taking the lady out shopping a bit, my trip home may very well fill my car with old-gen games.

Anyone looking for something specific to keep? Let me know and I'll keep an eye out.[/quote]

Good luck, bro...that sounds like a fun trip (well, minus the hangover thing..:). I did a similar trip about a week ago. Just don't be surprised if Google Maps is a little off on some of the locations, especially if they are "unconfirmed listing". When I made my trip I did find that Google was either off on some locations (maybe they have moved recently) or had some that just plain didn't exist anymore. I would suggest to cross-reference everything you find with the HWV/MG store finders, but I guess it's probably too late for that.

Good luck again!

Just got back. GoW is still $30, and I picked up a ton of stuff:

:gc: Harvest Moon, anther wonderful life (2)
:gc: Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
:gc: Lost Kingdoms
:ps2: F1 Career Challence
:ps2: Gauntlet Dark Legacy
:ps2: Godzilla Save the Earth (4)
:ps2: Godzilla Unleashed
:ps2: Grandia Xtrme
:ps2: Monster Rancer 4 (2)
:ps2: Rez
:ps2: Sonic Mega Collection Plus
:ps2: Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2)
:ps2: Warriors Orochi 2
:ps2: Wild Arms 4
:xbox: Sid Merie's Pirates

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
i never knew that tiv list from the gs thread was kept up to date. i made a list of 50 or 60 games i hadnt been looking for. went to the close hwv, there was no pull list for that store today, but i found 20 so games from my new list. the same girl who gave me 360 Morrowind GOTY for 3.99 last week scanned the 3.99 coupon for Grid today...

no mario party 6 yet either...working on it for you

[quote name='Capa']i never knew that tiv list from the gs thread was kept up to date. i made a list of 50 or 60 games i hadnt been looking for. went to the close hwv, there was no pull list for that store today, but i found 20 so games from my new list. the same girl who gave me 360 Morrowind GOTY for 3.99 last week scanned the 3.99 coupon for Grid today...

no mario party 6 yet either...working on it for you[/quote]

*waits patiently*

[quote name='Capa']i never knew that tiv list from the gs thread was kept up to date. i made a list of 50 or 60 games i hadnt been looking for. went to the close hwv, there was no pull list for that store today, but i found 20 so games from my new list.
[/QUOTE]

Wait, what master flipper? I assumed you used the GS thread as reference material (as I have). You mean you've been doing all you do WITHOUT using that? :lol:. I can only imagine how many more games you find now.

Though I am surprised at all the finds you guys are still making. Even early on in the sale I was lucky to get 6 or 8 games from the list (good GS flips) at a given store. Now there's maybe 1 or 2 at the stores I check and they are usually just disc-only $5.75 type games which I figure aren't worth the hassle.

Anyway, good news on GoW holding today. Last night I went to the same GS I bought 2 copies at the day before yesterday and didn't even bother getting out of my car because the two employees working there (who I could see through the windows) were Mr "why are you buying 2 copies of this game" and Mr "we charge refurb fees on all disc-only games". So out the window went my plan to trade in my last HWV haul and buy 2 more copies of Gears ;). I'll be heading to a completely different store today where I ought to be able to do both with no problem.

Just a quick question, I've only have 1 HWV in my city, it does however have a gamezone (NOT Gamecrazy) in it. Do all HWV stores take trade ins? Also do I have to have an account there to make a trade in? I wouldn't mind doing a Gears flip and turning $20 or so GS credit into $60 or more GS credit.

Yes, you must make an account. I made one at a Movie Gallery, and even though I was told it wouldn't work, at my local HWV when they scanned the MG card, my info pulled up. They then activated an acct in my HWV store, but told me to use the same card. All HWV and MG stores take trades and have the same values assuming they don't have a GameCrazy. Maybe, MG would apply TIV drops later than HWV, as the system at MG seems to be a little clunkier, but I don't know. I know all the MGs I've been to needed to manually type in the coupon code EVERY game, and after 9 or so games on 1 transaction, the computer would start bogging down so bad we had to cash out the transaction and start another. All it takes to open an account is 2 forms of ID (one must be a picture ID), I used a drivers liscence and debit card...they didn't take the debit info, just used it to confirm ID

And yeah, I was basically grabbing off a list I had come up with in my head based off what people in the threads were saying, and what I remembered of TIVs from the BB B1G1 sale.

We can all dream that BB does a B1G1 for Black Friday to go with the GS B2G1.

[quote name='Capa']Yes, you must make an account. I made one at a Movie Gallery, and even though I was told it wouldn't work, at my local HWV when they scanned the MG card, my info pulled up. They then activated an acct in my HWV store, but told me to use the same card. All HWV and MG stores take trades and have the same values assuming they don't have a GameCrazy. Maybe, MG would apply TIV drops later than HWV, as the system at MG seems to be a little clunkier, but I don't know. I know all the MGs I've been to needed to manually type in the coupon code EVERY game, and after 9 or so games on 1 transaction, the computer would start bogging down so bad we had to cash out the transaction and start another. All it takes to open an account is 2 forms of ID (one must be a picture ID), I used a drivers liscence and debit card...they didn't take the debit info, just used it to confirm ID

And yeah, I was basically grabbing off a list I had come up with in my head based off what people in the threads were saying, and what I remembered of TIVs from the BB B1G1 sale.

We can all dream that BB does a B1G1 for Black Friday to go with the GS B2G1.[/quote]
You don't have to sign up for a trade in, you are just supposed to. They can technically just put the trade in right to a gift card.

[quote name='dyeknom']ugh, seeing the gears of war discussion... makes me want to make another run.[/quote]

I know, I am so tempted to flip some GS credit for this deal so that I can buy more 2nd gen games to flip back to GS. Also, I am wondering if HWV has gift cards to other stores like BBV has, because I swear I saw some the other day.

[quote name='millerjm2']No list, but I did get some attitude.[/quote]

Me too, and I was a little ticked. I had inadvertently got the PS2 copy of GTA SA that you can do hot coffee on, and when I went to return it they gave me a major hassle. When I explained to the store manager that they should probably flag those games, as I didn't realize what I had until I got home, the manager started giving me all of this static about how the Mature rating was on the game and so on. I tried to tell the manager about hot coffee, and he was checking the disc litterally for coffee stains even though I was telling him it was a cheat code that is entered. Anyway, he said he wouldn't give me my cash back but I could do an exchange, and he didn't even want to do that. I got Xbox GTA SA instead, for a better flip anyway, but it took 30 minutes to do the retun and too much hassle. I was this close to calling the DM to provide feedback on the manager, but cooler heads prevailed.

I almost want to come in with the GOW's to screw him over, because they are taking a loss on those games and it's due to their own stupidity.

ok, quick question. My Hollywood Video does not a have any gamecrazy attatched but i went in today and looked around for the deal but all i saw were xbox and ps2 games marked at 17.99 and ect. If the deal isn't mentioned in the store, is in not in use in that specific store? Or is the price changed at the computer when you check out?

[quote name='bigpimpin07']ok, quick question. My Hollywood Video does not a have any gamecrazy attatched but i went in today and looked around for the deal but all i saw were xbox and ps2 games marked at 17.99 and ect. If the deal isn't mentioned in the store, is in not in use in that specific store? Or is the price changed at the computer when you check out?[/QUOTE]

just ask
many of the stores i went too where unmarked, one had hand written signage lol

just dont be scared to ask... maybe even argue lol

bug_nuts

[quote name='Drkirby']You don't have to sign up for a trade in, you are just supposed to. They can technically just put the trade in right to a gift card.[/QUOTE]

I had no idea they could do this but this must be what happened to me the other day - got a gift card without even showing ID or my HWV card from my local store. I like those kinds of trades - no paper trail at ALL. I mean, it doesn't make too much difference, but if some DM gets it in his mind that because you traded 4 copies of Gears of War to 3 different stores you must therefore be a thief (see the Blockbuster thread) then it's always nice when trades don't get tied to your account.

Having said that, I did manage to trade 2 GoW into my local store this evening - they didn't bat an eye at it. They did just put the credit on the account, though. I didn't ask about the gift card. Since this is my local store I'll either end up spending it on rentals or possibly more used games if they get any more conversions (nothing today). I did rent some movies and buy 2 $3.99 DVDs finally (fist time in all these trips). I had been passing the movies over because I figured they were all scratched to hell rentals. They were both perfectly mint, though - I think many of those movies are overstock that never got rented (or perhaps just once or twice when the movie first came out). So check those out if you have credit to burn ;). Still, I have over $50 sitting there - I suppose I can always just purchase a gift card if I need it.

Oh, I also used the Cellfire rent 1 get 1 free coupon again. For you Cellfire users don't forget about that one. I didn't try the buy 1 get 1 free on used games when I bought my 2 because the $3.99 promo says it can't be combined and I figured their computer would only let one promo go at a time (though I suppose I should have tried at least - oh well).

[quote name='bigpimpin07']ok, quick question. My Hollywood Video does not a have any gamecrazy attatched but i went in today and looked around for the deal but all i saw were xbox and ps2 games marked at 17.99 and ect. If the deal isn't mentioned in the store, is in not in use in that specific store? [highlight]Or is the price changed at the computer when you check out?[/highlight][/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, no - they need to scan a bar code for each game to make them $3.99. My local store NEVER put the $3.99 signs up for the game sale, though, and they knew about it and have the code behind the register. It has sort of been like having my own private sale (though they didn't have a great selection even early on).

[quote name='Devil May Cry']Man, I never even thought of doing any trade-ins over at HWV. Is it like BBV on it's TIVs?[/QUOTE]

We really don't know - someone uncovered the $30 Gears of War thing but that is clearly a fluke. The same game only gets $10.75 or so at Gamecrazy. We'd need more data to see if the rest of their prices are the same as Gamecrazy (which isn't great) or just out-and-out wacky like Gears. That is BETTER than Blockbuster...

Hmm. So there's only a GoW glitch (?). I'm planning to back to HWV tomorrow to swap a BL San Andreas for GH version. I'll see if I can get some TIVs out of them.

[quote name='Devil May Cry']Hmm. So there's only a GoW glitch (?). I'm planning to back to HWV tomorrow to swap a BL San Andreas for GH version. I'll see if I can get some TIVs out of them.[/quote]

Are you doing it so you can trade it into gamestop? If you are, then just lose the box art. They will take it as a disc only and since they can't scan it, it won't come up as the banned version.

[quote name='Devil May Cry']I get refurbed like crazy at mine. Plus, I might be able to get more games when I go back :D[/quote]
I hear ya. I actually got lucky today and found a decent gamestop employee who only hit me up w/ $2 in refurb fees on 10 HWV games that I traded in. Before he even started ringing them up, I told him to warn me of the discs that he was going to ding w/ the fees. I don't know if that disarmed him or what, but I'm not complaining. Refurb fees are such a shady practice by them anyway.

I actually traded 2 HWV games at another GS and got no problem with the case issue. No refurbs either. But they we're utterly clueless with Cellfire AND I got a new employee. Barrels of fun.

Ok so I've read a couple pages and apologize for my ignorance but it seems like people are buying gears of war from a store (this is the part I need help with) and trading it into HWV for thirty dollars credit and then using the credit to buy the flippable games to go back to gs. I'm guessing that you GoW at Gamestop but I need to know how HWV credit works. I may not end up doing this since it sounds like the deal could end any moment. But it could be a way of converting gs credit to HWV credit so I could get a small boost for some new releases next year. Or not.

OMG, OMG! PLEASE TELL ME I'M NOT UP ALL NIGHT AGAIN PLANNING AN INSANE MG/HWV RUN...!

Well unfortunately, yes, I am...It's like a drug; I can't quit! It seems like everything in my immediate vicinity has been picked dry, so it's time to shoot for greener pastures....

[quote name='salparadise78']I hear ya. I actually got lucky today and found a decent gamestop employee who only hit me up w/ $2 in refurb fees on 10 HWV games that I traded in. Before he even started ringing them up, I told him to warn me of the discs that he was going to ding w/ the fees. I don't know if that disarmed him or what, but I'm not complaining. Refurb fees are such a shady practice by them anyway.[/quote]

Just go to another GS to trade all your games in.
This refurb fee crap is getting ridiculous.
We've got 15 GS within a 20 min drive of where I live.

[quote name='newlu']This refurb fee crap is getting ridiculous.
[/quote]

Well I guess they're got to try and recoup some money from the tsunami of last gen games they've been buying from everyone for the last 2 weeks or so!

I've had a couple of discussions about shady refurb fees by some of the GSs around here with the manager at GS I trust. When a store does a refurb, they are supposed to damage it out of the system and send it in to be fixed, so since they lose the inventory, and actually send it off, they don't really make any money (IF they follow the procedure for refurbed games). There is a store locally that refurbs any and every thing they can (I'm talking like 10 out of 12 games one time, and there was maybe 2 that were questionable), so obviously they aren't sending them in, it's just a way for the manager to get more profitability in the store. This is also one of the stores locally that does everything possible NOT to accept GS coupons.

[quote name='Capa'] it's just a way for the manager to get more profitability in the store. This is also one of the stores locally that does everything possible NOT to accept GS coupons.[/quote]

Capa, my thinking is that the refurb fees are very similar to pre-orders in that there is a clear (albeit unwritten) incentive to charge as many as possible. At $4 a fee, they're getting most of the trade ins for next to nothing. The more fees an employee charges, the more profitable they are.

On a side note, I'm going to post some TIVs including a hidden gem in about 5 minutes.

Okay scroll down to the bottom for the good one.

Xbox 360 base (with 30% and edge) as of yesterday

Fallout 3 30 (42)
Fable 2 30 (42)
Saints Row 2 28 (39.20)

PS2
Bald's Gate DA 2: 14.25 (19.95)
MX vs Atv untamed 5.75 (8.05)

xbox
Jedi Outcast 6 (8.40)
GTA San And 10 (14)

and the hidden gem

PS2
UFC: Sudden Impact 11.75 (16.45)

Anybody verified GoW still being at $30 today? I'm planning on making a lunch run to grab one then off to HWV if it held.

DaDeuce, I'm going to check in about two hours, but the real question is whether or not it will hold until the B1G1 starts at GS this week.

[quote name='bgame2']DaDeuce, I'm going to check in about two hours, but the real question is whether or not it will hold until the B1G1 starts at GS this week.[/QUOTE]

Its actually a B2G1, :p but it doesn't really matter much to me as I only have 1 hwv here in town. I have 1 more within a decent driving distance but I'm almost positive it has been pillaged by now....

I think I am going to go down to the hollywood video in Hollywood FL tommrow, if I don't spend all my money on gameboy games today. Going to try and hit 10 gamestops and loot there gameboy games, and any decent DVDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back