Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video / Game Zone 3.99 PS2,GC,XBOX Preplayed Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVila

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
From now until further notice all preplayed PS2,XBOX and GC titles are 3.99. From the Movie Gallery store I work at I picked up 2 copies of Mercenaries 2 and Guitar Hero 3.

Also if your Movie Gallery has a Game Zone all preplayed Wii, 360 and PS3 games are 25% off. Most of the next gen games that are preplayed in the Game Zone sections come as trade-ins so you can generally find good copies its just that the selection wont be as good as a Gamestop.

Edit by Io - For those with Hollywood Videos around note that this sale applies only to stores that DO NOT have Gamecrazy's attached. Also, it is still highly YMMV at any given store. Some don't participate (manager's discretion) and some are just clueless and think you are talking about the concurrent $3.99 movie deal (which requires 2 rentals and only applies to movies $12.99 and under). I've gone to about 6 stores and have gotten about 4 different versions of the deal. There is a code they can scan that makes all these games come out to $3.99 no matter whether you rent or not and no matter what the original prices are - it is just YMMV whether they can A) Find that code and B) Choose to apply it to the games you want to buy ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Animal7390']they have to type something in to make them 3.99 if they didnt then i would think it would work. i will reiterate before people start saying stupid things:
THIS A COMPLETELY HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION, THERE IS NO 3 FOR 10 DEAL GOING ON NOW.[/QUOTE]
Well, yeah. Either the promo code being typed in or the promo UPC being scanned. But I still don't understand the difference between the promo code making a game 3.99 or making it 3.33.
Can someone else call their HW and confirm GoW? I give up, everyone's computer blows and I'm getting wildly different TIV (yesterday's 30, and today's 10.75 and 27.27)

Ok, I'm going to call in a few minutes and see if I can get a quote for that and for Legendary, unless someone comes up with a better game to ask for a quote for in the next ten minutes.

Ok guys, here's what I was told over the phone. Let me preface this by saying there was about a 10 second delay before the first TIV, but the second one was much more definitive.

Legendary (360) - 10
Gears of War - 30

I'm on the east coast in case that matters.

Thanks for the update Bgame. I'll try a few more times to get a definitive quote on my end.

Called. Finally got someone who checked the computer instead of giving it to me immediately. 30. But I'm hearing a lot of stores tell me 10.75. I wonder if it's a YMMV thing-- managers getting sick of being dicked over with the TIV for Gears of War. I may grab some GOW for filler, especially since there's some 26.99 games I want to buy for myself at GS.

[quote name='bgame2']I'm confirming my own phone quote. Just traded a copy of Gears Of War in. I got 30 for it![/quote]
Confirming your confirmation of your phone quote, just got $30 too.:D

I got $30 x 2 copies x 2 days. I flipped some items back and forth and got my friend a copy of Gears in the process (buy 2 get 1), and made a decent profit to get him a game he wanted to get.

I'm one of the wierdos that buys games to actually play them around here, but when I was at the Hollywood Video in Romeoville, IL tonight I saw a few copies of Lego Batman (PS2), Mercenaries 2 (PS2), and GTA: SA Platinum Hits (Xbox) there for all you flippers out there. Which was a bit strange because not four days ago those weren't there.

Not sure if the TIVs are still worth it, but here's a heads up all the same.

Yeah, it seems like some stores are starting to get restocked, or if the MG is the kind that takes game trade-ins (I've been dealing in almost exclusively MG's, not many HWV's around here) it seems that some people are very unabashedly gaming MG very blatantly.

Case in point: I had to run out of town today to find more GS' to trade in what I once again said would be my last batch of games. Well, along the way there was a MG I hit a few weeks ago right in front of the the GS, so I stopped in...it was a goldmine:

GC:
Lego SW

Xbox:
COD3 x2

PS2:
Bully (complete, real case insert and manual)
Champions: Return to Arms
God of War 2 (greatest hits, 2 disc set, complete) x2
GTA: SA (greatest hits 'clean' version, complete) x3
Jaws Unleashed (complete)
Lego SW II (greatest hits, complete) x3
SW: Battlefront 2 (greatest hits, complete) x2

The ladies behind the counter were snickering about 'how far those games had travelled' when I was checking out. I pressed them for a little info., to see if they had recently gotten a shipment or were getting games from another store, etc...They didn't really say much about it.
As you probably know by know, if you buy this many games at once it tends to make the computer system VERY slow, so while we were waiting, I asked again about the games. One of them mentioned that 'we accept game trades' kind of slyly. At this point I can clearly see what's going on: someone had a cherry pick of some of the $3.99 games, and then found a MG that accepted trades, and was gullible enough to buy those games back!
I really think that it was some kind of 'inside job'; probably a manager from another MG in town, that was able to go through and buy all the minty used stuff from his store, then trade them at this other store. Pretty ballsy, IMHO...most of us at least have the class to go to GS or BBV to flip our games! ;)
On a side note, I did recieve a nice little recyclable tote bag to take my haul away in. The lady was very nice, and apoligized for things taking so long. She then told me that they were also out of bags, so she just promo'ed me this little bag that was like $3.99...comes in handy for the grocery store, trading in games, etc...

BTW, there was so much of this stuff, I couldn't even bring myself to grab it all...wanted to leave a few nice finds for someone else!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from trading in 9 copies of Gears of war I bought with store credit from Gamestop and TIV is still $30. I first went to my local store and when clerk scanned game he said he couldn't take them because the computer system was showing an error and that I would have to talk to a manager to see if he would take them. I then went straight to the next closest HWV and the clerk there said the same thing but offered to call the manager to get the correct TIV so I could get my credit and once she called the manager he said if the system says $30 TIV then give it to him!!! I was very happy.:D

I guess the late bird catches the worm too, ended up trading two GoWs today for 2x$30 gift cards.

I found it kind of interesting that Gears of War 2 trades in for $30 and Gears of War sells for $29.99.

The 3 for $10 was a hypothetical situation.

I broke the original $5 Classic Plastic at gamecrazy on CAG back in 2005 or so- all Pre-PS2 games were clearanced to 3 for $15.

After that they became 3 for 10 and such. Hollywood Video and Gamecrazy have a precedent for using this type of markdown to clearance out overstocked old items.

The difference between now and then being that back then EB/Gamestop didn't take PS1 trades in anymore, or didn't ever give more than $1 for them.

You can thank the failure of the PS3 for this increased PS2 longevity enabling us to trade PS2 games in for up to $20 apiece still.

The PS3's failure is the gift that just keeps on giving!

Do rental display cases mean they have a copy of the game in stock? I see alot of display cases for games that were or should've been converted, like Lego Batman, in the rental section but there's no copies behind the display case. Are they just keeping display cases up even though they don't have the games to rent?

They put display cases behind the rental boxes. It means they're out at some kid's house being used to entertain their pets as throwing devices. They're placed there to show they have the game, but it's gone.

[quote name='fieryavenger']Just got back from trading in 9 copies of Gears of war I bought with store credit from Gamestop and TIV is still $30. I first went to my local store and when clerk scanned game he said he couldn't take them because the computer system was showing an error and that I would have to talk to a manager to see if he would take them. I then went straight to the next closest HWV and the clerk there said the same thing but offered to call the manager to get the correct TIV so I could get my credit and once she called the manager he said if the system says $30 TIV then give it to him!!! I was very happy.:D[/QUOTE]

ALL AT ONE STORE!?!? Wow, and I feel nervous/bad taking ONE copy to a Hollywood Video knowing that I'm getting a mistaken price for it. As pointed out by ets, they sell it for $29.99 used...

That guy knows how to flip!

I took two in by saying I got two copies to play co-op system link.. But not even 9 players play multiplayer.. LOL

Got in and started massaging this deal when it was two weeks old. Still came out good enough to get a PS3 for half-price.

BTW...local HWV said $3.99 pre-played sale ends on Sunday. FWIW.

[quote name='FinsUp99']Got in and started massaging this deal when it was two weeks old. Still came out good enough to get a PS3 for half-price.

BTW...local HWV said $3.99 pre-played sale ends on Sunday. FWIW.[/quote]

Was told 20% Next Gen pre-played ends this weekend... (so Sunday sounds right)

[quote name='jer7583']You can thank the failure of the PS3 for this increased PS2 longevity enabling us to trade PS2 games in for up to $20 apiece still.

The PS3's failure is the gift that just keeps on giving![/QUOTE]

Wow....

:roll:

[quote name='io']ALL AT ONE STORE!?!? Wow, and I feel nervous/bad taking ONE copy to a Hollywood Video knowing that I'm getting a mistaken price for it. As pointed out by ets, they sell it for $29.99 used...[/quote]

I had talked to the HWV clerk before and she was very nice when I first went there to get games from the $3.99 deal. She didn't think anything bad for me having 9 copies of one game it was just that she found it weird that the game was getting $30 still but I don't think all managers will be this relaxed and say if it lists for $30 TIV then give it to him but I wish everyone store had a manager like that.:lol:

Still, NINE? I'm pretty friendly with the clerks at my local HWV and they know me pretty well because I've been in there 6 or 7 times looking for $3.99 games, I've bought some $3.99 movies, and I rent stuff all the time. They even called around to some other stores to see if they had SW:FU when the copy they had ended up not having a disc (never did find one of those at any store BTW). And so, given all that, I traded TWO copies of Gears there because I thought that was extremely pushing it. I just wouldn't have the nerve/gusto/panache/whatever you want to call it to try NINE copies even if the person working there was my best friend or spouse or identical twin even ;).

[quote name='LittleBigPenis']Happy Thanksgiving io! We all love you![/QUOTE]

Thanks, I think... And you are? ;)

I made a few quick picks from one store I frequent; were definitely fresh pulls. NCAA '09, Kingdom Hearts 2, and 2 others I can't even remember: they're not in front of me, and they were moderate value ones). But never the less, after the last 3 weeks or so, 50+ MG's, and coming across most of the good high value games back in the day, this is the first time I've scored any of the '09 sports titles...weird.

drove by a movie gallery in AL on my way back to GA and got LUCKY with some pretty awesome RPGs for my collection:

Suikoden IV and V
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim
Tales of Legendia

and then some stuff to flip back to whereever will give me the most for it :whistle2:D

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
Wild Arms 4
SW: Battlefront II x2
Ico (disc only)
Mercs 2

sad i wasn't able to use credit :( and i don't think the woman scanned the coupon right at all...so gonna see if i can go to the movie gallery near me for a return/rebuy

[quote name='animemaniac14']drove by a movie gallery in AL on my way back to GA and got LUCKY with some pretty awesome RPGs for my collection:

[/quote]

There are a ton of MG's to hit up in AL. Were you going through on 85?

[quote name='sgaldis211']There are a ton of MG's to hit up in AL. Were you going through on 85?[/quote]

im not even sure what road i was on...ill have to check and report back. but yes i was able to hit up quite a few MG's in AL..sadly..most of them had been cleaned out and i had one store turn me down for lastgen games $12.99 and above..didn't want to argue cuz poor girl had to work on Thanksgiving and she was eating gummie bears claiming it was her T'giving dinner...very sad...

[quote name='zman73']Movie Gallery is headquartered in Alabama (Dothan), thus a lot of locations in the state[/quote]

Lucky!
We have only got 6 HWV's without GC within a 30 min drive of where I live.
:cry:

But I was able to trade in 3 copies of GoW and got a $90 GC at just one HWV today.
:D

[quote name='jer7583']They put display cases behind the rental boxes. It means they're out at some kid's house being used to entertain their pets as throwing devices. They're placed there to show they have the game, but it's gone.[/quote]
That's weird because they have multiple display cases for many titles stacked behind each other (although some don't say display, but they don't have the lock on the case so I assume those are display...).

Picked up a few games from my local H.V today. Picked up Fatal Frame, and Fatal Frame-Directors Cut. It came out to like 12 bucks. So the 3.99 didn't take effect at mine. Going back tomorrow for Metal Gear Solid:Twin Snakes (10 bucks or so) and some others.

[quote name='Coper3000']Picked up a few games from my local H.V today. Picked up Fatal Frame, and Fatal Frame-Directors Cut. It came out to like 12 bucks. So the 3.99 didn't take effect at mine. Going back tomorrow for Metal Gear Solid:Twin Snakes (10 bucks or so) and some others.[/quote]

why didnt you grab them during the sale?

P.S. some managers will try to pull a fast one and not put in the discount if you only buy a few games. everytime I purchased less than 4 games I had to remind the manager to run the promo code.

Anyone know if Movie Gallery has a Game Pass sorta plan, such as Blockbuster? I've had a Gamepass for months, but Movie Gallery always has the newest releases.

This deal def. ends this Sunday, just go back from two HWV and both confirmed it. Was surprised to find some more stuff.

2x Lego Batman (ps2)
mercenaries 2 (ps2)
Cabelas dangerous hunts 09

[quote name='slowdive21']Is assassin's creed 9.99 on PS3 new or used? Does it qualify for the b1g1 sale too?[/quote]

Geez...read the first POST! duh...

and no reason to bump your guide question, if it's not in the first two posts list...call or ask at GCrazy yourself.....

umm i doesn't say in the first post or the ad i have in front of me. As far as the guides go...the guy who runs the place lied to me about penny guides, so I would like to know ahead of time. You may want to rethink your tone.

I talked to a couple of people and they don't know when the sales gonna end,even the manager. But since i'm hearing sunday from here, I might go back for one last look tomorrow.

TIV as of 11/28/08
All base before bonuses

:ps2:
Family Guy - $5.75
MLB '08: The Show - $6.50
Hot Wheels: Beat That! - $7.75
The Incredible Hulk - $6.50

Wow! Could the great odyssey that's been the MG>GS super mega insanity flip deal be finally drawing to a close??? (tear comes to eye..) Maybe I'll have to just make ONE more run tomorrow, for old time's sake...(how many times have I said that?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back