Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video / Game Zone 3.99 PS2,GC,XBOX Preplayed Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVila

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
From now until further notice all preplayed PS2,XBOX and GC titles are 3.99. From the Movie Gallery store I work at I picked up 2 copies of Mercenaries 2 and Guitar Hero 3.

Also if your Movie Gallery has a Game Zone all preplayed Wii, 360 and PS3 games are 25% off. Most of the next gen games that are preplayed in the Game Zone sections come as trade-ins so you can generally find good copies its just that the selection wont be as good as a Gamestop.

Edit by Io - For those with Hollywood Videos around note that this sale applies only to stores that DO NOT have Gamecrazy's attached. Also, it is still highly YMMV at any given store. Some don't participate (manager's discretion) and some are just clueless and think you are talking about the concurrent $3.99 movie deal (which requires 2 rentals and only applies to movies $12.99 and under). I've gone to about 6 stores and have gotten about 4 different versions of the deal. There is a code they can scan that makes all these games come out to $3.99 no matter whether you rent or not and no matter what the original prices are - it is just YMMV whether they can A) Find that code and B) Choose to apply it to the games you want to buy ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a MG around me that I am keeping my eye on, hoping that they will convert some rentals. Is this conversion process up to the managers of each store? Or do they get orders from higher ups?

I stopped at two Hollywoods and picked up Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and the "New" Gauntlet Game.

There wasn't much at the second one I went to, the first had quite a bit though. Passed up a Harvest Moon game, Xenosaga II, and a few others. I'm in Green Bay WI by the way.

I went by both HWVs in my area. One had a box of stuff in with nothing good and another had nothing that good but said they were getting a box of stuff in this week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Finally found a restocked store.
Got
Xbox Knights OTOR 2, UFC Tapout, GTA San Anreas 2nd edition
Ps2 Pride F/C(not sure just figured MMA games will be good)

They had a bunch of Lego Star Wars Original Trilogy for PS2 and a few for Gamecube, Transformers PS2.
Will have to check one other store tomorrow. Building another stack of bar code less/HWV games to annoy the GS clerks.

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']The one Hollywood video I went to had a couple n64 games lying around.

Are they part of this deal too?[/quote]

Maybe, but don't count on it. I know the GBA and DS stuff that my HV has aren't part of it.

I found some new pulls at a local MG today, Shadow Hearts, Contra SS, Suikoden V, and another Futurama(helps make up for all the ones i passed on before I knew what they were worth!!)

Store near me got a shipment of stuff from a gamecrazy, nothing huge but picked up for my collection:

XBOX
Legends of Wrestling 2
007 Everything or Nothing
Scooby Doo Unmasked
kill.switch

PS2
Crash Twinsanity
MDK2 Armageddon

FWIW, three of the four HWVs I went to this weekend no longer had signage of the sale up (but the sale was still active at all stores). Makes you wonder if they ever want to get rid of the games ... Was able to find some rarer games, but unfortunately all lacked manuals/cover art/were scratched

[quote name='stone1061']Building another stack of bar code less/HWV games to annoy the GS clerks.[/quote]

Lol. I've gotten to the point where I've worn out my welcome with at least one GS. I'm pretty sure he tries to put refurb fees on me just out of spite for having to look up every single title.

I finally got a chance to go to my hollywood video and found mario super sluggers, mario party 7, zelda twilight princess, and mario super strikers. The douchebag reached in the magic drawer and there were only like 8 gamecube games in there. He goes sorry it must be gone. What the HELL, you have like 50 gamecube boxes all over the place and only like 8 games to sell. So I threw the game boxes in the air and threw glitter in the air too, and left.

i must say that you are all lucky. all i have is 2 movie gallerys and they both suck. they never did any conversions at all and still havent. last night they still had 8 rental copies of lego batman and other such gems.

I went yesterday and they were changing the cheap games over to slimline cases. The girl was throwing away boxes and manuals. I saw fire emblem GC case/manual in the throw away box. I picked it up and she said "These are garbage". I said "Oh I was looking for this game" and she said "We probably have another one somewhere". Of course they didn't.

BTW they had a twin snakes, but they said it is $15. My HWV is attached to a GC, but their signs say $3.99 and their cheap games are located in the HWV side.

Scored:
iconps2_r2.gif

Family Guy
SW Lego Original Trilogy
both in original boxes.
icongamecube.gif

Fire Emblem
Mario Party 7
Mario Power Tennis
Kirby Airride(original box)
iconxbox_r2.gif

SW KOTOR II

There were probably more flippables but the kids were running amuck. Will have to check again on my way to work tomorrow.

I went to the HWV in my city again. Anyways I spoke to the guy and he told me that he's getting rid of all the XBOX and GC rentals meaning he's converting them all. He did a few this week and I picked up:

iconxbox_r2.gif

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Star Wars: Battlefront II
Star Wars: Republic Commando

icongamecube.gif

Battalion Wars
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life
Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Mario Superstar Baseball
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
Super Mario Strikers

:gc: :

Eternal Darkness
Paper Mario
Super Mario Strikers
Pikmin 2
Super Mario Sunshine
Kirby Air Ride
Mario Kart

Probably every other first run GC title you've ever seen.

I just wanted to thank you all for all of your good tips about this deal because of flips and trades I was able to buy a Xbox 360. I will post anything I find to give back.

Scored a bunch today. But more importantly, I got mint and complete copies of Prince of Persia sand of time and Ninja Gaiden black - I have never played either of them so I'm really excited.

Find of the decade:

:gc: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

Can't fucking wait to see what this trades in for.

Who knows? I might even make enough to buy another 360.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Find of the decade:

Who knows? I might even make enough to buy another 360.[/quote]

$8.25

The awesome thing is, with everything else I picked up (GC + some PS2/Xbox) I really will get enough to get another 360 with the 30% + Edge. fuck.

Hope this one doesn't ring out.

I'm calling this my best score yet:

Futurama (PS2)
Baldur's Gate - Dark Alliance 2 (XBOX)
Time Splitters 2(PS2)
Time SPlitters (XBOX)
Darkwatch (XBOX)
Sudeki (XBOX)
Tenchu Return From Darkness (XBOX)

Not expecting to buy anything else. This has been a great sale and have picked up a lot of stuff GS sells for a lot more.

I decided to head out today on the one day it is semi-drivable out there (at least on the main roads). There is still ice everywhere else though. I went to all of one HWV and the parking lot was a sheet of ice. I had to be real careful walking out with my bag o' games. I was just picturing myself slipping and scattering the games across the lot :lol:.

We are supposed to get more snow tonight. Ugh... It is driving me crazy thinking of what there might be at some of the more out of the way stores that I would have been to already were it not for this damn arctic blast :bomb:

In any case, I snagged enough to add to the games from my local store that I got a few days ago to make 2 trades at the 2 Mall GS stores tonight. I picked up 2 more copies of Kirby Air Ride from this store where I already got another last week. And once again, I got a refurb on one of them - my second ever and both on Kirby Air Ride :lol:. I just went with it because otherwise I'd have just that left over and I don't know if I'll be able to trade again before the GS promo ends!

I didn't find any of the great stuff today, though - the Kirby Air Ride that didn't get refurbed was my best one. I filled it out with stuff like LSW II, SW Battlefront II, etc...

I got hit with another round of refurb fees from this sale. I picked up MP7, Mario Tennis, Mario Strikers, Smash Brothers, GTA: SA, and Futurama.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Find of the decade:

Who knows? I might even make enough to buy another 360.[/QUOTE]

Its like $20 on eBay....

thanks for the heads up guys. hit up my local store that i've cleaned out 3 times already and was able to get another stack of games. im definately hitting up the other 3 tomorrow morning. was able to get these today:

:ps2:
street fighter anniversary collection
destroy all humans 2
cabela big game hunter 2k8
cabela monster bass (thought it traded for more)
juiced 2 (^ same)

:gc:
pokemon xd
fire emblem
mario party 7

:xbox:
conker
gta: sa

at first, but after the 2nd batch of trade i was like f**k this! they could do it themselves, thats what they are paid for. haha

Sorry to all GS employees, im just 'joke langing'. ;]

but, it really doesnt matter. Personally it wastes more time out of the day, especially when you are on a schedule.

[quote name='ets']When trading into Gamestop, do you guys take the trouble of removing the sticker?[/quote]

:rofl:I used too especially with BBV stuff but with the stupid giant ugly HWV/MVG stickers, it just isn't worth it. I just say I like to buy used games there or they were having a sale and I never bothered taking the stickers off. Those fat daddy's (and layers below) are mean to get off ! ;)

Don't get me wrong, I still have the bottle of Goo-gone at home but a trader has to draw the line somewhere. Some of those crusty over-sized stickers have been on there a very long time with many even older than my 7 year old son !:lol:

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, as others reported earlier, some stores appeared to have restocked the shelves with transfer games from other stores not selling any. I picked up a bunch by pulling a "capa" and cleaned out a couple HWV stores 45 mins away. Worth the drive and gas is cheap these days ! I got a bit Crazy(in hindsight) and dropped down to what I thought traded for a min of $3.75+ at GS for filler and used my BBV VV's to pay. I need to update the GS promo thread with my TIV's today. Its worth it to still get out there and make a drive and check some shelfs.

[quote name='ets']When trading into Gamestop, do you guys take the trouble of removing the sticker?[/quote]

I tried this at first, then I said fuck it, and just ripped the thin plastic cover off the dvd case.

I just trade in the discs, no cases. They're gonna throw them out anyway, so I recycle the cases and just give GS the discs. Same with BBV.

If you run hot water on them for about 10 seconds they will peel away very easily, but sometimes this leaves a sticky residue which is more obnoxious than the HWV stickers.

[quote name='c.gibbits']at first, but after the 2nd batch of trade i was like f**k this! they could do it themselves, thats what they are paid for. haha[/quote]

They funny thing is, at my local GSes, even the employees dont bother taing the stickers off. I've seen plenty of BBV games that I've traded in that still have the BBV prices on them. I wonder if it's confusing to people when a game has a BBV price of 9.99 but it rings up with the GS price of 17.99.

[quote name='Animal7390']went to movie gallery last night and they havent done any conversions and still have the same exact games since the beginning.[/quote]

Yeah, Movie Gallery has been pretty disappointing for me in that regard as well.

Yeah I had a nice hot streak with MG's back when this sale started, for about a month. Hasn't been much lately, though...I'm still waiting to walk in to my good local store, and get one of those huge hauls, old school-style.

Finally got another good haul:

xBox
Baldur's Gate 2
KOTOR2

PS2
Grandia 3
Futurama
Dragon Quest 8

Cube
Mario Golf toadstool
Mario Kart dbl dash
Super Mario Strikers
Paper Mario 1000yr
Kirby Air Ride
Pokemon Gale of Darkness
Mario Party 7
Fire Emblem Path
Battalion Wars

Just picked up a few titles that were enticing, as I'm building up my GameCube collection.

Found:
Super Mario All Stars Baseball
Super Mario Strikers
Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction
Harvest Moon Another Wonderful Life

Nice Christmas presents to myself :)

This is the first time I've hit up this sale...mainly cause I didn't think we had any Hollywood Video/Movie Galleries left. It turns out we have ONE within like a 30 mile radius. I would say this is probably a major score! I picked up 34 games today...sales clerk told me they were all cleared out of games several days ago and then randomly got a huge shipment from a store in PA. I was able to get:

GTA: San Andreas x2
Ninja Gaiden Black
Star Wars Battlefront II
Star Wars Republic Commando

Eternal Darkness
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
Mario Party 7
Megaman X Collection
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
Pikmin
Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness
Super Mario Strikers

Bully
Cabela's Big Game Hunters x2
Cabela's Trophy Bucks
Dynasty Warriors V
Family Guy
Heroes of the Pacific x2
Mercenaries II
MX vs. ATV Untamed
Need for Speed Prostreet x5
Spartan Total Warrior
Spiderman Friend or Foe
Star Wars Battlefront II
Transformers The Game x3

Just curious...are people mostly getting complete games or generic cases? I've seen 5-10 original box games *max* around here, and they're usually dogs.

hit up 3 stores this morning. 1 was picked clean so im assuming someone beat me to it. was still able to pick up:

lego star wars 2 complete saga x2
family guy x2
spartan total warrior x3
god of war 2
mx vs atv untamed
sonic riders
call of duty 3
futurama
need for speed pro street x4

fable

simpsons hit/run

Got a some good ones today, all xbox (except for one)
GTA: SA
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Ninja Gaiden Black
Star Wars Battlefront II
Star Wars Republic Commando
Fable
Mario Party 6

[quote name='maiku']Just curious...are people mostly getting complete games or generic cases? I've seen 5-10 original box games *max* around here, and they're usually dogs.[/quote]

About 2/3rds generic, but I don't care about condition.

Picked up quite a few today..

:gc: Paper Mario
:xbox: Tomb Raider
:ps2: Suikoden 3

And 8 other titles which went to GameStop, and turned around to $160 in store credit. I am officially done with my Christmas shopping. YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back