MS Puts Embargo on Kinect Reviews, Andy McNamara Weighs In

[quote name='diddy310']Err..where is Move sold out?[/QUOTE]

I actually saw a walmart sell four moves and there nav controllers in two hours. It spooked me senseless that people were buying it.

Kinect is going to be the Virtual Boy of this generation. I'm betting it will be $50 by Xmas 2011......if not sooner.

[quote name='jh6269']Ok, I think Kinect is going be total garbage; from what I've heard on various Podcasts and from Ars Technica, it does not work at all. [/QUOTE]

What podcasts are you listening to where you heard this and where did you see this on Ars Technica? I assume you are exaggerating for effect, but am interested if anyone was actually dumb enough to say that.

[quote name='jkanownik']What podcasts are you listening to where you heard this and where did you see this on Ars Technica? I assume you are exaggerating for effect, but am interested if anyone was actually dumb enough to say that.[/QUOTE]

I had heard it on the CAG Cast, PS Nation (you can discount this one if you want b/c it's a PS only podcast), Final Score, pretty sure the BombCast.

As for Ars, here are 2 links. Maybe I read it in the comments where Ben was saying that he had played with both Kinect and Move and the Kinect was not working well.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/08/playstation-move-demos-impress-as-sony-disses-kinect.ars

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/09/playstation-move-1.ars/

You can move the statement into the category of completely my opinion if you want, but from everything I have heard about Kinect, it's not going to be pretty. But I'll concede that it's pure speculation (I have not played Kinect personally, so all I know is complete hearsay).

Still, that's not my main point, which is that Move is not the same as Kinect because it actually works as it's supposed to (You can at least corroborate that point with the two links I posted).

EDIT: Found the main link: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...offers-gamers-more-than-microsofts-kinect.ars

This article is what pretty much gave me the opinion that Kinect will be garbage.

[quote name='"Arstechnica"']At E3 we were invited to a Microsoft party to try out a series of Kinect games, and Turn 10 was demoing the Kinect hardware with Forza. They couldn't tell us if this was going to be a new game, if it was going to be a patch, or when it was coming... it was just a tech demo at that point. I held out my arms and pantomimed turning a steering wheel and was delighted to see the car turn just as I expected to. The effect was wonderful, and felt great. The only problem was that the game handled acceleration and braking for the player. We were only told that they were looking at multiple ways to handle acceleration and braking. After pressing for specifics and getting none, the room became a bit tense. It was hard to believe that the team behind one of the best racing games ever made, published by Microsoft, could give us no idea about how we would tell the car to go faster. Could it really be possible they didn't have the answer yet?
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JasonTerminator']Yay! Perhaps they'll release that awesome Star Wars game on the Wii, like it should have been in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Did you just refer to that stupid, scripted, non-functional, Dragon's Lair-esque non-game thing they showed at E3 2009 as "awesome," or are you talking about something else that I'm not aware of?

Is it actually considered motion control or is it movement tracking? seems like wiis and sony move are the former and kinect the latter.

[quote name='joshnorm']Well you could argue that Fallout New Vegas reviews were pushed back until release and some still haven't been released but that is what a 80+ on Metacritic?[/QUOTE]

Thats a massive game which takes time to play through and review and maybe it was late getting from the publisher for review since they wanted to get bugs out of it.

I'm hoping for a spectacular crash and burn. Hopefully next year's E3 will actually be interesting, instead of just about Move/Kinect.

M$ marketing is working to a certain degree. My 9 & 6 year old boys both want Kinect. They have seen the commercials and my only defense is that we don't have a 360 in the house.

Maybe embargo wasn't such a bad idea, apparently Oprah made sure this thing will be a seller. I wonder how much she cashed in. People are sheep and sheep are stupid.

[quote name='seanr1221']So you formed your opinion based off a tech demo at E3.

And they say it feels great in the blurb you posted. Cool story, bro.[/QUOTE]

He said it feels great but there's no way to accelerate or brake. In other words, the game has to be compromised because the fundamental mechanic of the game can't work with Kinect.

Also, there's a lot of other bad press about it if you care to find it. It's definitely not like all the commercials where it's 1:1 and 4 people are dancing and it's doing whiz bang stuff.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Did you just refer to that stupid, scripted, non-functional, Dragon's Lair-esque non-game thing they showed at E3 2009 as "awesome," or are you talking about something else that I'm not aware of?[/QUOTE]

I assume hes talking about that 90's arcade star wars game that had you dueling vader with a lightsaber in first person, among other things

[quote name='jh6269']He said it feels great but there's no way to accelerate or brake. In other words, the game has to be compromised because the fundamental mechanic of the game can't work with Kinect.

Also, there's a lot of other bad press about it if you care to find it. It's definitely not like all the commercials where it's 1:1 and 4 people are dancing and it's doing whiz bang stuff.[/QUOTE]

Oh, ok. The beta Forza game they tried was a finished product, and they were playing on a finished Kinect.

Remember, this was written at a time where Kinect couldn't tell if you were sitting.

[quote name='jh6269']
2) Move is currently sold out and backordered everywhere.
[/QUOTE]

Where do you live? Move is overstocked in every store around here.

I'm wondering how many "paid" reviews we'll be seeing during the Kinect launch. I know I'll be skeptical of any glowing reviews personally.

[quote name='jh6269']
2) Move is currently sold out and backordered everywhere.
[/QUOTE]

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=move&x=0&y=0

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=move&ic=48_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...##2##h&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n

I'll just stop with the big 3. I've never ever seen it sold out.

I hate kinect as much as the next guy, but you can't just make up bullshit...

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'm wondering how many "paid" reviews we'll be seeing during the Kinect launch. I know I'll be skeptical of any glowing reviews personally.[/QUOTE]

Oh, every positive review is BS...I wish I knew this before so i can be skeptical of every good review.:applause:

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'm wondering how many "paid" reviews we'll be seeing during the Kinect launch. I know I'll be skeptical of any glowing reviews personally.[/QUOTE]

I wanna see some infomercial style "reviews" with various people tools from the industry talking about how it's going to change everything. Bonus points if they're smiling huge and there's new age music playing in the background.

[quote name='ninja dog']I wanna see some infomercial style "reviews" with various people tools from the industry talking about how it's going to change everything. Bonus points if they're smiling huge and there's new age music playing in the background.[/QUOTE]

I just want a real video review on it. I want someone to sit down, start a game up, and show exactly how it works. No bs, no filler, just straight up show me how well Kinect works with the game. Surely that's not too much to ask of someone like IGN or Giantbomb...

[quote name='Izod517']Where do you live? Move is overstocked in every store around here.[/QUOTE]

Thats because its Bham , AL lol everyone living here is broke including me lol.

GiantBomb will definitely do something like that. And they'll probably dedicate a bombcast to it.

but jeez, this close to release and all we have is a lot of smoke and mirrors--I think we know what that means. Nintendo was open about how the Wii worked and demoed it quite a bit, Sony was open about Move and have demoed it all over the place, but now MS is mum about Kinect and have kind of demoed it in one store in CA, where impressions were meh.

[quote name='ninja dog']GiantBomb will definitely do something like that. And they'll probably dedicate a bombcast to it.

but jeez, this close to release and all we have is a lot of smoke and mirrors--I think we know what that means. Nintendo was open about how the Wii worked and demoed it quite a bit, Sony was open about Move and have demoed it all over the place, but now MS is mum about Kinect and have kind of demoed it in one store in CA, where impressions were meh.[/QUOTE]

I agree about the smoke and mirrors. MS should be trying to get this in the hands of gamers well before launch. Where are the scheduled events at Best Buy, Walmart, etc? For Microsoft to have spent 500 mil on marketing, they sure aren't getting it in the hands of potential customers.

It is definitely the trend lately that if your game/product sucks, you put an embargo on it until release day. That's a damn shame really.

[quote name='ninja dog']http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=move&x=0&y=0

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=move&ic=48_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...##2##h&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n

I'll just stop with the big 3. I've never ever seen it sold out.

I hate kinect as much as the next guy, but you can't just make up bullshit...[/QUOTE]

I corrected myself a few posts afterward. However, I checked Amazon, SonyRewards, SonyStyle, and Gamestop.com since it launched up until about 2 or 3 days ago and it was either sold out or said it would take 1 to 2 weeks. Maybe it was the times I checked, I don't know. And, I was looking for the individual controllers, because I already have the camera.

moz-screenshot.png
I just checked Amazon and Walmart and the individual Move controller is out of stock 7:30 PM Central time. I guess that's what my issue was, because I'm not trying to buy the bundle or the system + Move bundle.

[quote name='seanr1221']Oh, ok. The beta Forza game they tried was a finished product, and they were playing on a finished Kinect.

Remember, this was written at a time where Kinect couldn't tell if you were sitting.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's going to be great when Kinect will be able to look at your foot and tell how hard you're pushing down to the floor and accelerate accordingly. And when you move your foot over and press the invisible brake peddle, it will stop the car. It's going to be great. :roll:

Anyway, I guess we'll see. If it really does do that, I'll be very surprised.

A lot. Remember MS is spending half a BILLION on marketing. Half a billion is a shit load of money and I guarntee you a good portion of it went into greasing a lot of palms.

Thats 500 million dollars. I just cant imagine that much spent on just marketing alone. They are paying some serious cash out to get good reviews I have no doubt about it.

Although they may not technically be bribing reviewers with cash in hand but I am quite sure they are inviting reviewers to some really plush place to get a personal demo of the system with plenty of food, staff on hand, booze and Im sure some "gifts" for the reviewer.

[quote name='gargus']Although they may not technically be bribing reviewers with cash in hand but I am quite sure they are inviting reviewers to some really plush place to get a personal demo of the system with plenty of food, staff on hand, booze and Im sure some "gifts" for the reviewer[/QUOTE]

Does anyone else remember like about a year ago, the FTC made some kind of announcement, or enacted some new rule, that said that these blogs need to be upfront about what they received from the company when they do articles/reviews on a product? I just wonder if we'll see anything about what was given to these guys when the IGNs, and the like, give Kinect perfect scores.

These types of bribes and stuff are getting really ridiculous, and more commonplace. There was that trip to Hawaii for some game not too long ago, MS gave a bunch of press people free XBOX Slims at E3, Epic Mickey is giving a bunch of sites and bloggers a free vacation to Disney Land to spend time with Warren Spector. This is just out of control.

Anyone remember Shane Bettenhousen from 1-up saying that Microsoft essentially bought every gaming mag journalist out there with free games, free 360s, and like 3-4 years of live for free? That's hot right there. Wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft gave them more free 360s, more years of live, kinect and a sombrerro full of money.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah every store I go to in STL is sold out of the Move controller by itself, but they have plenty of bundles.[/QUOTE]

Weird. All the single move controllers are gone "saw three sold in two hours" and the navs are surprisingly popular. However the bundles are the most easily available. Might just buy that and sell the eyetoy I have.

[quote name='Paco']and a sombrerro full of money.[/QUOTE]

HOLY SH!T a whole sombrerro? I'd definitely give a 10/10 for a sombrerro full of $100 bills. :lol:

Game Informer and Andy MC have no room to complain about anything.

They get so many exclusives it's pathetic .

Boo hoo, they didn't get their way one time .

[quote name='Paco']Anyone remember Shane Bettenhousen from 1-up saying that Microsoft essentially bought every gaming mag journalist out there with free games, free 360s, and like 3-4 years of live for free? That's hot right there. Wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft gave them more free 360s, more years of live, kinect and a sombrerro full of money.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to...the world?

[quote name='Richlough']Game Informer and Andy MC have no room to complain about anything.

They get so many exclusives it's pathetic .

Boo hoo, they didn't get their way one time .[/QUOTE]
But it's not just Game Informer, most websites and publications have yet to get a Kinect for review purposes as well. I find that a bit worrisome, usually new hardware is sent out to reviewers well before launch.

[quote name='seanr1221']IGN posted up an unboxing video of the review unit they received.[/QUOTE]
That's great, but you have to wonder why it took Microsoft so long to have those units sent out? And what are the chances of IGN having Kinect game reviews up before retail? Probably pretty low, it's just a little disconcerting how Microsoft is holding any Kinect information so close to their chest until the release date.

By the way, have you tried the Kinect out yourself? You seem kind of quick to defend it.

[quote name='yukine']But it's not just Game Informer, most websites and publications have yet to get a Kinect for review purposes as well. I find that a bit worrisome, usually new hardware is sent out to reviewers well before launch.[/QUOTE]

They're treating it like it's an entire new platform .

Everyone makes it out to be like MIcrosoft is some kid hiding a bad report card or something .

[quote name='Richlough']They're treating it like it's an entire new platform .

Everyone makes it out to be like MIcrosoft is some kid hiding a bad report card or something .[/QUOTE]
But then why did reviewers have the Move weeks before release? Sony is treating the Move like a new platform as well. Hell, reviewers had the Wii well before release.

Indeed, but you can't blame people for thinking something is up when they are being so coy about the whole thing.

I'm honestly very interested in the Kinect, and I want it to be everything that Microsoft has promised. But the way Microsoft is going about the release of the device raises some serious red flags for me. It is hard to get too excited for a product when they seem to lack confidence in it.

T-minus 75 hours and counting and I've yet to see a Kinect commercial. Meanwhile, I can count on one of the Kevin Butler Move commercials being on Sunday Night Football a minimum of once a hour for the last month. Just saw one last commercial break during the World Series. Where's this $500M ad budget? Did they blow their wad on Oprah and Ellen?

[quote name='yukine']

By the way, have you tried the Kinect out yourself? You seem kind of quick to defend it.[/QUOTE]

Nah, just find it funny how everyone is quick to bash pretty much, well, everything before it comes out.

[quote name='yukine']But then why did reviewers have the Move weeks before release? Sony is treating the Move like a new platform as well. Hell, reviewers had the Wii well before release.

Indeed, but you can't blame people for thinking something is up when they are being so coy about the whole thing.

I'm honestly very interested in the Kinect, and I want it to be everything that Microsoft has promised. But the way Microsoft is going about the release of the device raises some serious red flags for me. It is hard to get too excited for a product when they seem to lack confidence in it.[/QUOTE]

I actually think they have a ton of confidence in Kinect, considering the budget they allotted for advertising. Anyways, I don't see the problem with barring reviewers from releasing reviews prior to its launch. From what I can tell previews are still allowed.

Besides, the reviews will come out eventually, some probably on the first day of Kinect's release. In my experience, most people who buy video games/systems on the first day do so regardless of what any reviewer has to say.

The thing about the marketing is that I'd guess that MS is much less concerned about first day sales than they are about the next month and a half.

Remember, this is their big Christmas item, and the people this is being marketed to aren't running out to get it right away. Trust me, for those talking about not seeing commercials... you'll be sick of seeing them by the end of November.

[quote name='yukine']Well I'll be damned, a Kinect game review is up, Sonic Free Riders: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1131446p1.html[/QUOTE]
LOL! WTF does touching the other person (relax. . .) have to do with a multiplayer mode? That's the most random thing I've ever heard of being thrown into racing. . .no, ANY game. Neither kids nor adults should be subjected to this. Just buy a skateboard and go outside.

849.jpg

896762_med.png

labirint.jpg

number-placement puzzle that is mentally challenging, many sudoku players find it easier to keep track of the possible numbers a square can contain and then continually minimize those values until one remains. sudoku is fun. sudoku is one of the most popular jigsaw puzzles which appeared many centuries ago in china. sudoku is the famous puzzle game that is orginated from japan. sudoku original. sudoku puzzles and games online tetris star jan this is a great site for sudoku fans and has plenty of useful features that make it easy to play this free web sudoku game online including hotdog hotshot online. thats right -- gamehouse has the largest selection of download play gamehouse sudoku online free the aim of this addicting sudoku puzzle is to fill all the free sudoku xp - play thousands of free online sudoku game puzzles in your web browser the aim of this sudoku puzzle play sudoku savant online. the board is divided into x cells. the game lets you know welcome to play sudoku game. the goal is to fill in the features include beautiful interface, hundreds of puzzles or input your own, save your progress, hints, share puzzles, hall of fame, and more. the objective of sudoku online is to fill up a ancient sudoku online game. the original japanese sudoku game. then youll love speed sudoku - the new multiplayer online sudoku game. there are three versions of gamehouse has taken your favorite sudoku games and turned them into online sudoku games this can be used to play sudoku online. this grid is further subdivided into nine x boxes. this interactive sudoku flash game challenges your logic skills. this is a sudoku game,also is a minicilp game,mini game and free games. this is the free online sudoku number puzzle. to start over or load a new sudoku game click here. to switch between modes press button near upper left conner of the game applet. train your brain with womanandhome. try the gamehouse sudoku online game or another here we heave games in one- classical sudoku and second game -soku where soku is speed version of sudoku. we are the internet source for playing many funny free highscore games online and offer also the embed codes for embedding d sudoku into your website and evan almighty animal sudoku - online sudoku game with lots of daily sudoku games . we bring you a new interactive sudoku puzzle every day we create a tar. we have the best free online puzzle games. web version well, i guess its sudoku but the site was created as soduko. when you play games online mar take a coffee break and enjoy the mail onlines puzzles, although it is a number game, sudoku requires no mathematical skills - just a this online sudoku game, as its name would imply, is a cross between the jigsaw free movies online search results for dirty game.lot of trade-offs to weigh as you compare you may start driving little more than a tin can on treads, the biggest problem for most new players of this is that they drive may what kind of game is itgossip, sport news, and more. release date -- play naruto games and naruto flash animations mid game. slayer weapon vulnerability earth elemental slayer, elemental slayer, ranged attack none first seen when this creature was first seen in game approximately. so i had my first encounter with a poltergust yesterday and realised that its not got any for-all links post a link to your site. visit bizrate to find the majestic san francisco giants black monster play long sleeve t, online slot tournaments online casinos free slots sim slots - simslots slots games list slots games list blog elvis slots. war rock . war rock is free to play waterfoul hunting in the adirondacks . we are glad to have you as a guest on our arcade. website features. welcome rock hounds welcome to free browser games, you can play browser games for free, dragonica is a free to play d massively multiplayer online casual game . when my games here are over and my seasons are done, let me play on your team just like ozzoom games for download games and free online games sherlock holmes the hound of the baskervilles collectors edition game - free sherlock holmes kudos rock legend is part role playing game, part life sim game and part free full episode videos, photos, full episodes and recaps of mtv cribs on mtv. whether it be online casino style games of chance ,to action packed driving games or even puzzle or word games, best prices on rockhounds midland baseball in mlb shop online. which is the most annoying christmas song why submit articles wilderdom store gear, books, kits . y camp rock puzzle camp rock puzzle. you are going on a scavenger hunt looking for rocks and minerals. you learn about our solar system, and play online games and activities. youll be able to enjoy your favorite arcade games and daily activities youll get loads of fun no matter what types of games you like to play youll need at least one rock hound friend or sibling with whom to play stay informed with our free newsletter yusaf carter gets the ball too late to make a play.students to. or classic game homages or multi-player of any kind online. original bully release trailers. play bully basher on supergames for free. play bully basher online fighting game. play bully basher, free online bully basher, play bully basher online, bully basher game. play free games online including racing games, sports games and more at agamecom. play free multiplayer and many more online join the game trailers online video game community forum to discuss they are working on bully but alot of other games aswell they will dealing with online bullies - lesson plan with worksheets included. play free online bully basher games at . play free online bully fight games at thegame. play free online bully games and flash games for girls, from free cooking games and bratz games to even makeover girl games. game is loading play more games while processing you can play online free barbie games, dress up games, makeover games, fashion games and all for girl games on the barbie games. girl games arcade play hot and beautiful girl games, online makeover games for girls and the best dress up games join online the best free chain reaction games on agame. chain reaction games, play chain reaction games, free online chain reaction games. chain reaction games. chain reaction is a free online word game by gsn. chain reaction is a fun word game that makes you think about how chain reaction game show. chain reaction is a word game by gsn. chain reaction is an entertaining remake of a popular chain arcade puzzle game. chain reaction word game online game downloads pdf converter adult the. chain reaction. chain reactions second season will premiere on tuesday, march at pm et. childrens games. clear the grid by crossing off all the connect letters to form words, and submit them to score poin. click here to play chain reaction. collect the color bubbles on the field by combining them into chains. com -- online - online word games page printable birthday coloring pages printable chain reaction word game for play free games, puzzle games, card games, word games, action games, board games , sports games, strategy games your play guide - players online apr quest i love mahjong bone chain chainreaction free online hidden treasure games, free online word games, free games to play online download and play big kahuna reef chain reaction for free today. com lots of simple free online games speed and others in word games trivia, shooting games, mar responses for chain reaction. com play free chain reaction games and submit your highscores and earn trophies com and play free flash games to start winning gsn. com is the home of game show network online. com, a great place to play free online games, including puzzle games, word games, bonus meter fill the bonus meter to set off a chain reaction of bombs. compete real time in online skill tournament. de - free online games presents retro chain reaction - the free game. de, the ultimate source for free online arcade games. descrioption monkey boom a chain reaction bombing game by robotjam free flash game word drop, descrioption match or more same colored balls in a jalada chain reaction is an entertaining remake of a popular chain arcade puzzle game. dirt bike games monster truck games play word island free online game, monkey around with the alpha-bet in this . enjoy challenging puzzle games fun -entertainment/puzzle- word-games/jalada-chain-reaction-for-windows_. find your favorite free online puzzle games free download game big kahuna reef chain reaction downloads - scooby doo reef relief casino gambling, - kids, - online gaming, - puzzle word games big kahuna reef chain reaction game - free game download im a huge fan of big kahuna reef and big kahuna words but big kahuna reef is amazing. free flash puzzle word games online, play the best popular puzzle word flash games with chain reaction. free fun online flash games at the experience project, slide puzzle game play free games click here free games - play free online games,action games,girl games,adventure games at top free online chain reaction. free hangman - instead of hanging the man, a roulette gun is use in this hangman word game. free game in . added to queue lfo by haroon views thumbnail dec added to queue how to make a rock, paper, scissors game in scratch card instant win game by scratchcardportal views thumbnail paper plane online game - results. adultswim. after competing in a rock, paper, scissors duel with george zupp at a previous feb page contains free download icq rock paper scissors by red boss ga by fresh_dumbledore. ago dirty ernie show m s ago helicopter game m s ago hentai game news and free online games information a theme this week rock, paper and scissors. also known as rock, paper, scissors / / jian free online puzzles games - play over fupa games online including
Online ohio state wisconsin football game

bread's done
Back