my car...done a lot since awhile back

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Wow, $70,000. I would have bought a BMW or a Lexus and put the extra $20,000 in the bank. To each his own I guess, but man that car just doesn't do it for me, and at $70,000 worth of work, yikes.[/QUOTE]
I agree. BMW all the way.

BMW's arent all they are cracked up to be, at least his Rx-8 is different and looks badass. Every asshole owns a BMW and they aren't anything special, my dad for example owns a BMW 6 series and yes, hes an asshole lmao.

Btw WiiD, your car is amazing and I guess my opinion is biased since I own an Rx-8 myself but that car is amazing.

EDIT: Just wondering how come you didn't go with the Mazda Speed kit?

[quote name='Prepster']BMW's arent all they are cracked up to be, at least his Rx-8 is different and looks badass. Every asshole owns a BMW and they aren't anything special, my dad for example owns a BMW 6 series and yes, hes an asshole lmao.
[/QUOTE]

You sound like a spoiled teenage prick. You own your own RX8? Paid for it yourself with your paper route money huh....

BMW's are all they are cracked up to be, fit, finish and overall automobile quality..and they are plenty special, unless you're some over-privledged douchebag living off his rich parents teat.
In which case, you aren't living in the same world as the rest of us.

The difference is that in a few years your Dad's BMW 6 series will hold its overall value. The RX8, while a nice dream that someone built for themselves, will still be an RX8....not exactly rare or hard to get into. The 70k in mods will make it fast and flashy, but it wont bring lots of added value to the car unless you find that one special buyer whos willing to pay for the premium stuff you installed. Of course I've never understood car-culture, per say.......

And then it comes into question: Who did the work? IS it documented? Etc, etc.....around here you got guys dumping $20k into a car and they are still selling them for the same amount of money as a stock model might.

All show, and not even that great of a "show" anyway...and barely any go. Dropping $70,000 and all you have to show for it is carbon fiber this, glowing lights that, and some wheels you can get at Wal*Mart

*claps

edit - forgot you had an intake and exhaust...that's INSTANT horsepower right there

Japanese cars all suck anyways.

This is all so stupid, all this talk about horsepower, etc. You motherfuckers should rarely be driving these things above 45 mph in-town. Powerful cars breed stupid and reckless drivers.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Japanese cars all suck anyways.

This is all so stupid, all this talk about horsepower, etc. You motherfuckers should rarely be driving these things above 45 mph in-town. Powerful cars breed stupid and reckless drivers.[/quote]
Im sure japanese cars suck, they are doing better than any other American company right now, and they are the most reliable cars out there. And there are plenty of responsible people out there that drive fast cars, just because you cant afford one, dont crap on others.

Fun mods, OP. And a nice handling car off the factory line. Not super powerful or anything, but I'd enjoy driving it around a little.

My subaru is just about dead. I wanted to throw an sti wrx engine in there, but it won't work in the chasis. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Probably get another practical car with good fuel economy (thank you, US government for not drilling or making any new refineries in the states... I love paying $3 a gallon because of the bloody Oil Futures Investors :bomb:).

But I'm drooling over the 09 GTR. We *finally* get the nissan skyline and I just can't justify buying a car that isn't a gas sipper. Which sucks, because I love cars. If I had a choice I'd get that or an old (late 60s GTO... the one that was John Deloreans first design) or something else I love to look at, but it's just too impractical.

[quote name='mykevermin']Man, y'all be pimpin' that shit in the Hobby Lobby parking lot!

Seriously, though, whatever blows your skirt up, man. I'm not into this sort of thing, but would be thrilled to restore an ol' Kharman Ghia.[/QUOTE]

As would I, Myke, as would I. My 1964 Karmann-Ghia is in a suspended state of decay as my current job doesn't pay enough for me to restore my Ghia. It's my daily driver, but I get all kinds of compliments on it from the older set, and the kids just stare since they don't know what the hell it is.

Looks very nice. But I'm afraid I'll never understand the allure of spending mountains of cash on cosmetic upgrades ($70k? :roll:) to a sports car without doing ANYTHING substantive to improve its performance.

Say a Lexus or MB done up VIP style with no performance mods--that I understand. I'd never do it myself because it's of no interest to me, but I can at least follow the reasoning. Slow, but pretty sports car = :wall:

i would much rather have dropped up to 70k on 2 or 3, possibly 4 fully restored classics that would be turning heads everywhere you drive

when i had my 69 Impala i used to constantly get comments about it everytime i parked somewhere...and that was in average shape...i cant wait till i am able to get another classic

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Japanese cars all suck anyways.

This is all so stupid, all this talk about horsepower, etc. You motherfuckers should rarely be driving these things above 45 mph in-town. Powerful cars breed stupid and reckless drivers.[/QUOTE]

Japanese cars are 100x better than American made ones.

I don't agree with the japanese cars statement, but i don't understand why people do this to their street cars either. If you actually used the stuff as it's meant to be used, you'd be breaking the law and probably get yourself or somebody else killed.

If it were a track car, i'd understand, thats where they should be, not on a public street.

[quote name='JolietJake']I don't agree with the japanese cars statement, but i don't understand why people do this to their street cars either. If you actually used the stuff as it's meant to be used, you'd be breaking the law and probably get yourself or somebody else killed.

If it were a track car, i'd understand, thats where they should be, not on a public street.[/quote]
We're in agreement on not understanding the motives, but what do you mean "used the stuff as it's meant to be used" and "if it was a track car"???

The entire purpose of EVERYTHING on that car is to look purdy. In terms of actual performance, it's no different than a stock RX-8 that you can get at any Mazda dealer. You'd NEVER find custom-fabricated forward-tilting doors (adds weight, destroys rigidity) or neon lights (adds weight, requires extra power) on a street car modified for track use. And ESPECIALLY not painted stock calipers--you'd be laughed off the grounds.

He's using his mods EXACTLY how they're meant to be used--this thread is all the proof of that you need--and is neither breaking the law or killing himself doing so. So I don't see where you're going with this....

Those girls look like jailbait... How old are you?!

It's not a fair comparison between Japanese cars and American cars... They both suck.

[quote name='HeadRusch']You sound like a spoiled teenage prick. You own your own RX8? Paid for it yourself with your paper route money huh....

BMW's are all they are cracked up to be, fit, finish and overall automobile quality..and they are plenty special, unless you're some over-privledged douchebag living off his rich parents teat.
In which case, you aren't living in the same world as the rest of us.

The difference is that in a few years your Dad's BMW 6 series will hold its overall value. The RX8, while a nice dream that someone built for themselves, will still be an RX8....not exactly rare or hard to get into. The 70k in mods will make it fast and flashy, but it wont bring lots of added value to the car unless you find that one special buyer whos willing to pay for the premium stuff you installed. Of course I've never understood car-culture, per say.......

And then it comes into question: Who did the work? IS it documented? Etc, etc.....around here you got guys dumping $20k into a car and they are still selling them for the same amount of money as a stock model might.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'm not going to get mad since you dont know me but I'm not a teenage prick and yes I paid for the car in full with my own money. Im not spoiled in the least bit and im not sure where you live, but BMW's do not hold their value at all. And I acknowledge that you say your not into the car-culture, but then why throw out facts which aren't really facts at all.....:roll:

[quote name='Prepster']Ok, I'm not going to get mad since you dont know me but I'm not a teenage prick and yes I paid for the car in full with my own money. Im not spoiled in the least bit and im not sure where you live, but BMW's do not hold their value at all. And I acknowledge that you say your not into the car-culture, but then why throw out facts which aren't really facts at all.....:roll:[/quote]

A BMW that doesn't retain value? You must be ignorant...BMWs have been know to have their value INCREASE over time, even during the length of your loan, so your argument is null/void

Have the people spewing "facts" in here ever open up a consumer reports? Japanese cars (especially honda) get praised and BMW's get panned.

[quote name='Prepster'] im not sure where you live, but BMW's do not hold their value at all.[/quote]
My BMW is coming up on 9 years old. And still worth nearly half its MSRP. That's not too bad, IMO. Quite a few cars are worth less (as a % of MSRP) after just 3 years.

People who own BMWs have a hard time selling their cars to private owners once they breach the 80,000 mile mark. I mean, who is going to pay the price of a new, lower end car for a car with 80,000+ miles on it?

[quote name='seanr1221']Have the people spewing "facts" in here ever open up a consumer reports? Japanese cars (especially honda) get praised and BMW's get panned.[/quote]

Yeah, cuz all the wealthy and successful people really give a shit about consumer reports...nice argument

[quote name='crushtopher']Yeah, cuz all the wealthy and successful people really give a shit about consumer reports...nice argument[/QUOTE]

:lol: they should.

[quote name='seanr1221']Have the people spewing "facts" in here ever open up a consumer reports? Japanese cars (especially honda) get praised and BMW's get panned.[/quote]
Yes, I've been reading for well over a dozen years. I remember a couple of years ago when the E39 5-series was rated "the best car we've ever tested, at any price". Or more recently, when they had only 3 vehicles with below-average reliability ratings, and 1 with "much worse than average". Compared to, say, Toyota, with 4 below-average and 2 "much worse". Including, ironically, the best-selling car in the country. Or Nissan with 5 "worse", including 4 "much worse".

You are correct in that Honda is the bright spot in the rankings, with 0 on the "worse" list. But a Japanese make is not the panacea you make it out to be. Nor is a Roundel the sign of trouble as you seem to think. I should know--I have one of each. By the time my Lexus has as many miles as my BMW does today, I will have spent half as much on it for oil changes alone as I have on ALL maintenance and repair items (including tires, brakes, battery, lightbulbs, and non-required replacement of "lifetime" fluids) for my BMW. That's assuming not a single thing goes wrong with it.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']People who own BMWs have a hard time selling their cars to private owners once they breach the 80,000 mile mark. I mean, who is going to pay the price of a new, lower end car for a car with 80,000+ miles on it?[/quote]
I dunno....maybe someone who doesn't want a low-end car? If what you say is true, then there is no market for used Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, etc either. After all, why buy a used 911 Turbo when a brand new Mustang GT is cheaper? :roll:

[quote name='geko29']Yes, I've been reading for well over a dozen years. I remember a couple of years ago when the E39 5-series was rated "the best car we've ever tested, at any price". Or more recently, when they had only 3 vehicles with below-average reliability ratings, and 1 with "much worse than average". Compared to, say, Toyota, with 4 below-average and 2 "much worse". Including, ironically, the best-selling car in the country. Or Nissan with 5 "worse", including 4 "much worse".

You are correct in that Honda is the bright spot in the rankings, with 0 on the "worse" list. But a Japanese make is not the panacea you make it out to be. Nor is a Roundel the sign of trouble as you seem to think. I should know--I have one of each. By the time my Lexus has as many miles as my BMW does today, I will have spent half as much on it for oil changes alone as I have on ALL maintenance and repair items (including tires, brakes, battery, lightbulbs, and non-required replacement of "lifetime" fluids) for my BMW. That's assuming not a single thing goes wrong with it.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't spend that much money on a car (BMW) with below average or much worse than average. ratings.

Surprised about the Nissan decline though. I think all the '08 Hondas got the best rating right?

[quote name='geko29']

I dunno....maybe someone who doesn't want a low-end car? If what you say is true, then there is no market for used Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, etc either. After all, why buy a used 911 Turbo when a brand new Mustang GT is cheaper? :roll:[/quote]

Anyone who doesn't want a low-end car can usually just buy a brand new BMW so why would they bother with one that is more than halfway through its lifespan? I'm not saying you can't sell used high end vehicles. If you had read my post carefully, you'd see that I just said it was harder.

[quote name='seanr1221']I don't know about you, but I wouldn't spend that much money on a car (BMW) with below average or much worse than average. ratings.[/quote]
Then don't buy that particular model. How about one with a 70% better than average rating? Because they're in there too. My point is that many manufacturers run the gamut. Some models do well, others don't. Toyota completely screwed the pooch on three of its five most recent launches, for example. That's absolutely unprecedented for them. But it does happen.

[quote name='seanr1221'] Surprised about the Nissan decline though.[/quote]
Largely due to the factory that makes the Titan and the Armada/QX56. Three of the 10 least reliable vehicles on the road (from any manufacturer) right there.

[quote name='seanr1221']I think all the '08 Hondas got the best rating right?[/quote]
Most did. The Odyssey is just average, and the Ridgeline is "better" but not "much better". All told a very good showing, however. Still nothing that interests me in the slightest, other than the S2000. Reliability is but one piece of the puzzle. Honda tends to make highly reliable transportation appliances. I want a CAR. :)

S2000 is slick.

I miss my Miata though.
Performance mods (and i'm talking good stuff, not ricer crap) are MUCH cheaper for it.

I prefer more classier and stock looking upgrades for visuals, and there was some very nice specialty stuff made only for MX-5s from Japanese and German auto boutiques.

I can't find anything like for that the Honda.
Mostly just generic ricer stuff that's useless and cheap.

I did find a couple nice things, like strap door pulls which I might go for.

Ah yeah, Myke knows what he's talking about.
I'd definitely would like to restore a car sometime, and a Ghia is up there on the list.

01161101040701030720080207e8e53b42fb89a486f200c4d5.jpg

010211010303010404200802076fe012907d24bbc8ac00b08f.jpg

There's a guy around here with a perfect Bristol like the one you posted.
So nice to that outside.

To be honest, I'm probably buying a Vespa next.

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']

IMG_0924.jpg

[/quote]

Hey wheres all the ladies from the... Ohh it looks past their bed time.

Nice. Im glad you have a passion for your car.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I also like the Chrysler Crossfire. Probably a piece of junk American car, but it does look slick.[/quote]

It is a piece of junk, but not because it's American--it isn't. It's the previous-generation (maybe 2 gens back now, not sure) Mercedes SLK, sans the hard convertible top and with a crappy Chrysler powertrain.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Japanese cars are 100x better than American made ones.[/QUOTE]

Filthy lies. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Maybe if they weren't built so goddamn stupid. I'm a mechanic, see, and I'd rather work on an old Chevy that actually has room under the hood, then a stupid cramped-ass little Japanese engine. That's the problem with these cars. They're intentionally designed to be non user-serviceable, to keep the owners running back to the dealers for repair. It's bullshit.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Japanese cars are 100x better than American made ones.[/QUOTE]

I just bought an 08 Saturn sky redline and this car is awesome... drives well, gets lots of looks (especially with the top down) and comments from everyone... only problem I have with it right now is the weather stripping on the passenger side is still messed up and have to take it in this morning

Modding it... never, Im not 20 anymore... although I have one of those friends who cant buy a new vehicle without spending another 10 grand to mod it. All Im getting for this vehicle are a steering wheel cover, mud guards, and floor mats

For some reason my computer will not present me with the option of adding pics on this site (yes, I clicked the advanced options button)... I have an old slide show in my signature

I don't think he used it for racing but for showing it off.It looks nice!I personally don't like to upgrade the exterior but the performance.First Performance,then exterior.Looks really nice though!

[quote name='zman73']For some reason my computer will not present me with the option of adding pics on this site (yes, I clicked the advanced options button)...[/QUOTE]

You insert images like this:
Code:
[img]put your image url here[/img]

Anyways, give me a '55 Chevy any day of the week. Now that's a car. But what most people consider a "hot rod" these days, blah, it's just depressing.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Maybe if they weren't built so goddamn stupid. I'm a mechanic, see, and I'd rather work on an old Chevy that actually has room under the hood, then a stupid cramped-ass little Japanese engine. That's the problem with these cars. They're intentionally designed to be non user-serviceable, to keep the owners running back to the dealers for repair. It's bullshit.[/quote]

How about instead of comparing new Japanese cars to old American ones, we go apples/apples? Now I'm not a professional mechanic, but I do almost all of my own work, so I've seen the changes you describe in domestic cars as well. Alternator in my Father-in-law's '91 Grand Prix? 10 minute job, including breaking free some horrendously rusted bolts and pounding it out with a sledgehammer. Easy, just like you describe.

Same job in my wife's '00 Sebring? 8 hours, including removing the undercladding, air conditioner, power steering pump, and 2 belts, plus moving the starter and loosening or removing at least 6 bolts that cannot be seen from any vantage point. All this despite the fact that you can touch the alternator with your index finger while your palm is on top of the radiator core. Put it all back together and it squealed like a bitch because of a poorly designed tensioner pulley that can only be tightened once (unlike the spring-loaded arm design on the Grand Prix).

After that debacle, I never worked on the Sebring again, except for oil changes that, while still unnecessarily difficult, can nevertheless be accomplished in under an hour. Battery? remove the wheel and fender. Fuel filter? Drop the tank. spark plugs? Take off the fucking intake manifold! Might as well replace the head gaskets while you're in there--half the work is done already!

By contrast, the work I've done on my '00 BMW and '07 Lexus (limited thus far) has been incredibly easy, with the one exception of the final stage resistor in the bimmer, which is unsurprisingly buried in the center stack with the rest of the air handling gear. Both cars were designed for easy, mess-free oil changes, sparkplug swaps, battery replacement, belt maintenance, and a host of other common repair/maintenance tasks.

[quote name='Jedi1979']i would much rather have dropped up to 70k on 2 or 3, possibly 4 fully restored classics that would be turning heads everywhere you drive [/quote]Except that $70,000 won't get you 2 or 3 fully restored classics. Possibly two if you buy them as clunkers and do the work yourself. But if you're talking fully restored creampuff classics, you're dropping at least 40k on ONE. But if you can find me an fully restored 1939 LaSalle for less than $40,000, please let me know.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Japanese cars are 100x better than American made ones.[/quote]Not always. Last year the car manufacturer with the best ratings was Cadillac. Not Toyota, not Honda.

[quote name='crushtopher']A BMW that doesn't retain value? You must be ignorant...BMWs have been know to have their value INCREASE over time, even during the length of your loan, so your argument is null/void[/quote]What fool told you this? Because in that's not true, in any sense of the word.

[quote name='crushtopher']Yeah, cuz all the wealthy and successful people really give a shit about consumer reports...nice argument[/quote]I'm starting to think you live in some alternate-reality where the rich go around throwing money away becuase it comes to them easily and they can just go print more. Granted, a lot of new money idiots will toss it about frivelously because they're enamored of some image and just want to look rich because they have something to prove to the world around them.

The smart successful people pay attention to their purchases because they know how much of their own time, work and sacrifice went into earning it.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I also like the Chrysler Crossfire. Probably a piece of junk American car, but it does look slick.[/quote]Not too bad. I test drove one a couple of times. My problem was visability, it's like sitting in a tank with a tiny slit to look out of. I prefer better visabilty and easier situational awareness. The older models (think it was 04 & 05) had a mercedes engine. It's now a Chrysler engine.

lol-that would fit in my trunk. why bother putting lotus doors on soemthing like that? with all the cash spent on that, you could have bought a real car with raw horsepower and done a lot more with it. hate imports.

[quote name='Prepster']Btw WiiD, your car is amazing and I guess my opinion is biased since I own an Rx-8 myself but that car is amazing.

EDIT: Just wondering how come you didn't go with the Mazda Speed kit?[/quote]

Thanks, I think most people in this thread don't truly realize how great a car the RX-8 is. The handling put performs any BMW any day.

As for the Mazda Speed body kit, I'm trying to stay away from anything OEM Mazda related. It is a good kit however.

[quote name='HeadRusch']And then it comes into question: Who did the work? IS it documented? Etc, etc.....around here you got guys dumping $20k into a car and they are still selling them for the same amount of money as a stock model might.[/quote]

I did not do the work as I wanted warranty for every single piece of extra equipment and labor that was put into the car for sense of security. Things go wrong and if I did the labor, well, it's my responsibility to fix it, which is extra money.

I'm not selling my car and nor will I ever. I know I will be loosing a ton of money if I sold it, but why would I take this much time and effort and then sell it?

[quote name='crushtopher']All show, and not even that great of a "show" anyway...and barely any go. Dropping $70,000 and all you have to show for it is carbon fiber this, glowing lights that, and some wheels you can get at Wal*Mart
[/quote]

I'd love for you to find any of these parts that I bought for my car at Wal*Mart. You're an idiot.

[quote name='Magehart']OP do you still live with your mommy?[/quote]

No, I live on my on, while attending college. I graduate this May, and then start my first real job at HCA as Project Manager.

[quote name='tcrash247']So what happens if you get in a car accident? 70K down the tubes. I'm going to second what someone said earlier. Fail.[/quote]

I have full coverage insurance, and since I have proof of everything that went into my car which includes cost, labor, etc, I've already talked to my insurance company and I get all that money back, as in all $70k back. Which is why I pay such a high premium.

[quote name='option.iv']Those girls look like jailbait... How old are you?!
[/quote]

They are jailbait and I'm 23 :cool:

[quote name='snakelda']I don't think he used it for racing but for showing it off.It looks nice!I personally don't like to upgrade the exterior but the performance.First Performance,then exterior.Looks really nice though![/quote]

Yep. I'm all about show. Anyone can add horse power easily to their car, but they may or may not have the know how or money to make their car look pretty. I can't stand cars that have insane amounts of HP and do not look good.

But that is my personal preference. They may hate my car because it looks really good, but does not have insane HP. To each their own.

Temporaryscar- that impala is a sweet sweet car. My a$$hole neighbor (everybody on my street hates him, he's a nasty prick to everyone) has one in light blue. waiting for him to put it up for sale, and add it to my collection :)
We've currently restored/owned the following:
68 Manza-sapphire blue w/black hardtop
72 Mercury Marquise Brogham 4 door, white with blue hardtop (only one I have left, doing the body work/paint this summer, 100% restored-this car also does 1/4 mile races, highest speed was at 187 mph, weighs almost 3 tons of steel)
78 Trans AM w/ t-tops, almost all stock MINT
78 Chevy Scottsdale on 33" tires, all offroading w/ 1mill candle watt lights total on light bar x4
83 Mustang foxbody with a Windsor 351 built Performance, 500 hp at the rear, we used to race this car for cash, 500-1k races. only lost once thanks to a blown torqe converter, custom drive train, took a lil over a year to do a complete overhaul on this thing
We've had a couple other older mustangs and a camero, nothing worth keeping
Currently looking for a '65 LaManz, candy apple red, white top with matching white interior (or will be when I'm done) or a 50's Impereal (very odd looking car, but cool)

I had thought about an RX8 (or a 3rd gen RX7) before I discovered someone driving a sky last year (first thought: THAT is a Saturn?)... everyone I knew didnt want me to get an rx8 from my brother who sold mazdas, a friend who works on cars, and my wife who didnt like them... I still like them though... concerns were with the rotary engine and oil usage... was curious as to how often you need to add oil to your car and if you have had many problems with it. Id still like one in the future

The rx-8 was my second choice, but having good credit allowed me to get my first choice... only ran me about 32,000

bread's done
Back