My slumlord sued me: A cautionary tale; UPDATE: Life in prison. The end.

So he's sentenced to life? What's that now-a-days? 12-15 years before eligible for parole? Heh, just wondering... hopefully someone in jail never lets that happen.

[quote name='punklivz']So he's sentenced to life? What's that now-a-days? 12-15 years before eligible for parole? Heh, just wondering... hopefully someone in jail never lets that happen.[/QUOTE]
This is Texas. He's never leaving. The prosecutor didn't even bother charging him with a bunch of other stuff (carjacking, etc.) because there was no point. Dude is done.

Holy fuck, how did I miss this thread the first time around?!? Major kudos, speedracer.

Hopefully his neighbors in prison know what he's in for.

Just saw this near the top, because of the thread update, and I read the entire thing over the last 20 minutes. Absolutely incredible story. Good job kicking some ass, buddy, and I hope your daughter grows up to cure cancer or something deservedly amazing.

Literally. Thread. Of. The. Year.

Aw man, I can't believe I almost forgot to check back on this for the final updates. I can't believe it got THAT much crazier, though.

I very rarely even visit the OTT, but after seeing this thread nominated in the Cheapy Awards two years in a row, I finally took some time to read through the OP. Holy shit, that is epic. Thanks for posting this, speedracer, and hope all is currently well with you and your family (especially your housing situation!).

[quote name='blueshinra']Holy shit, that is epic.[/quote]
You know what would have made it awesomest? If it fucking happened to someone else. :D
Thanks for posting this, speedracer, and hope all is currently well with you and your family (especially your housing situation!).
We're all fine. Everyone in the story is doing really great except for Mr. Slumlord, of course.

[quote name='cochesecochese']You ever bring him Vaseline in prison?[/QUOTE]
I'm not allowed to mess with him anymore by order of the wife.

We got a letter yesterday saying we're being sued again to remove our liens. The county says he owes em $600.

[quote name='speedracer']I'm not allowed to mess with him anymore by order of the wife.

We got a letter yesterday saying we're being sued again to remove our liens. The county says he owes em $600.[/QUOTE]Wait, why would you be sued over having liens on his property? He owes you money, so why are you getting sued over it?

[quote name='shrike4242']Wait, why would you be sued over having liens on his property? He owes you money, so why are you getting sued over it?[/QUOTE]
My lawyer wife explained it to me, but I don't remember perfectly so I'm going to butcher this answer. But the gist is here.

It's a preliminary move on the part of the government. They can't sell a property with liens on it, so they sue to become the "primary" (or something like that). It allows them to seize it for first rights to the proceeds to a sale. It's their way of saying they're getting paid first, so we don't swoop in and try to demand money out of their pocket after the fact if the sale doesn't cover what's owed to both (or all) of us. The letter was CC'd to two other lien holders, so there's others too. A roofing company and an individual. They're not asking for money out of our pockets per se, they're just essentially cutting to the front of the line.

If they're going to foreclose on a lien for $600, I'm sure you'll still get paid unless the other two non-government liens are for a shitload amount of money. The apartment building has to be worth more than that. And technically whatever money is left over after creditors have been paid are supposed to go to the owner, but I don't know if felony status can then deny him the right to that money.

[quote name='speedracer']The letter was CC'd to two other lien holders, so there's others too.[/QUOTE]
I lol'd. Every time. Every time you think you've hit the bottom it just keeps going.

Wow, that was one crazy wall of text and reminds me never to be a landlord in the future, and also makes me glad I don't rent and plan on passing go and buying a house instead.

GEEZUS, I shat myself just reading all that :shock:
BRAVO!
clapping.gif

Wow, that took the better part of my morning to read but it was worth it! Glad to see that idiot got what he deserved. Hope you get your money.

Wow... this story is epic. Easily one of the best reads I've had on CAG. Bravo sir on your plight against the evil slumlord ;)

Wow...just wow...

I had a bad experience once in an apartment where the owners changed hands and I new the new owner wouldn't honor the previously agreed upon month to month rent.

I didn't want to lock up another lease so I had to move out fairly quickly and unexpected once everyone got notices on their doors to sign a lease or move out in 30 days...which was illegal...seeing how I had already paid the next month's rent...which they accepted and cashed....which allowed me over 60 days.

I was so pissed because the new semester of school was starting and I wasn't planning on moving for two more months...hence the previous arrangement.

The landlord / property manager was a total asshat and shows up stating I need to be out in two days...after I had already paid the next month's rent.

Muthafucker kicked in my door as I closed it and stood in the archway when I finished talking to him and I tried to close the door. I grabbed a nearby camera to catch this idiot in the act...thinking he's going to enter again and I wanted to catch him on tape for down the road if necessary.

I keep forgetting I posted this video and was even contacted by the new owners years later asking me to take it down...hell no.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MUv9YJf3c0

fuck apartments!

In the last week we were notified that his property is being foreclosed on to pay the bank and taxes. They all have senior claims to his assets. We will get nothing.

Aside from this civil judgement hanging on my wall which makes it all worth it.

Holy dead thread, Batman.

speedracer, you may not have gotten any money out of him, though you did bring him down. That's probably a better thing in the long run.

bread's done
Back