N-Gage QD $19.99 NEW @ EB B&M + All Games $2.99 ea.

onikage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
If your EB still has any new N-Gage QDs they should now ring up @ $19.99.
I don't know how much they were before, but this seemed like a pretty good deal.

Also, all new games are now $2.99.

Edit: The QD is $49.99 @ Gamestop.

[quote name='ashram']i found a 512 on ebay for about $17 shipped. just make sure you DO NOT get sd flash....

once you hit a gig, i heard you may have some reliability issues, so i stuck to 512, but so far, installing a bunch of apps (mixed between internal memory and mmc) and i've only hit about 25MB used on the mmc (one demo, snakes)[/quote]

Out of curiousity, what kind of apps are you using?

Just a random question to those who have their N-Gages, and games...what do you think is the best game so far?

I've only tried a handful yet, but I think Splinter Cell Chaos Theory works great on the N-Gage.

[quote name='Altered Beast Returns']Just a random question to those who have their N-Gages, and games...what do you think is the best game so far?

I've only tried a handful yet, but I think Splinter Cell Chaos Theory works great on the N-Gage.[/quote]

I've enjoyed Bomberman and Tiger Woods the most, though I haven't gotten a chance to play every game much. Rayman 3 also seems to fit the system well.

I'm in the middle of Pandemonium, and um, it's not the best. But I'm trying to play through all of my ngage games (I can't believe I already have a backlog for this thing...), and its an interesting enough diversion. Unresponsive controls is the real challenge.

X-Men is pretty well done. And I am liking Pocket Kingdom a lot; slow but somewhat addicting. Its style is also pretty unique.

Also, I'm looking for the following, if anyone can get any spares feel free to leave me a pm =o)

Roots
Glimmerati
King of Fighters
Rayman 3
Rifts

Thanks.

[quote name='ashram']once you hit a gig, i heard you may have some reliability issues, so i stuck to 512, but so far, installing a bunch of apps (mixed between internal memory and mmc) and i've only hit about 25MB used on the mmc (one demo, snakes)[/quote]

That's really not true at all. I had a 1gb card and never, ever had any problem with it.

The biggest and probably most important thing to not do with an N-Gage is to overload the internal memory. If you do this, it won't have enough memory to boot up when you turn on the system. Then, you'll have to go to a Nokia retailer and get your N-Gage flashed.

There's really not a whole lot of applications that need to be installed internally, so it's just a safe bet to install as many apps on your mmc.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']That's really not true at all. I had a 1gb card and never, ever had any problem with it.

The biggest and probably most important thing to not do with an N-Gage is to overload the internal memory. If you do this, it won't have enough memory to boot up when you turn on the system. Then, you'll have to go to a Nokia retailer and get your N-Gage flashed.

There's really not a whole lot of applications that need to be installed internally, so it's just a safe bet to install as many apps on your mmc.[/QUOTE]

like i said, i've red some people had issues. from what i have seen (from various forums) there some speed issues to random corruption, but theose could just be cheap mmc's flaking out. but from what i can see right now, 512 for me is plenty enough for most anyways. i'm using about 30MB...that's 6 java games, 2 demos, snakes, and other misc crap.

[quote name='dafunkk12']I've had mine set like that, but isn't working. Thanks for the tip, though.[/quote]

Oh OK, not sure why mine is working and yours isn't. I'm having no problem accessing T-zones or N-gage arena. If there are any other settings you want me to check, just let me know......

[quote name='spiderdog']Glimmerati and KOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]
don't know about kof, the framerate was lacking... try the one demo (arena.n-gage.com) kinda neat seeing a full 3d fighter on the n-gage...

Glimmerati - Micromachines in 3D. Fun.
Rayman 3 - Great little platformer
Pandemonium - I cant explain why I like it, I just do
Super Monkey Ball - It's Super Monkey Ball
SSX Out of Bounds- Great 3D engine, plays just like the other versions

[quote name='Altered Beast Returns']Just a random question to those who have their N-Gages, and games...what do you think is the best game so far?

I've only tried a handful yet, but I think Splinter Cell Chaos Theory works great on the N-Gage.[/QUOTE]

I still think the long-time response has been Pathway to Glory and Pocket Kingdom. Both are unique to the N-Gage and there are two Pathway to Glory games so you can really get your fill.

Us N-Gage owners have been beaten over the head by fanboys so much we tend to forget how good some of the games are. We've just gotten used to conceeding that everything else sucks, which isn't really the case (sure it is a failure but as we all know failures can still have great games).

I think Rayman 3 is a wonderfull game and in that respect, look for the games Gameloft made. If they made it, it is probably going to be a good game. If Gameloft had made the launch titles, I think the system would have done better. They did the Asphalt games (as good as racing gets on the N-Gage), Marcel Desailly Pro Soccer (don't care for sports games but once again if they did it, it won't be fundementally flawed unlike many other N-Gage games) and they also did the all the Tom Clancy games.

Colin McRae Rally is real popular with some N-Gage owners, they seemed torn between that or Asphalt as their favorites. Some like Glimmerati as well, I don't care much for it but it isn't a game with major flaws either (unlike Moto GP for instance). Crash Nitro Cart seems rather limited by the size of the screen.

Personally, I think Pandemonium, Tomb Raider and Super Monkey Ball were all a bit underrated. No, not the greatest games ever. But, the first two in particular carried over a lot from the games they were based on. If you don't like the originals you won't like the ports either but if you did really like them you should enjoy this. Super Monkey Ball is a bit stripped down, but it is still quite enjoyable.

Nokia stepped in and prevented the release of some of the more recent crappy games. You won't be able to find Alien Front, Virtua Cop (notice a trend?) or Sega Rally for those very reasons. I find it interesting that Sega could do a good job on Pocket Kingdom and do a crappy job with almost every other N-Gage game. Anyway, as a rule of thumb the more recent the games are the better they will be.

With some considerable exceptions. Be wary of 3D on the N-Gage. Gameloft can pull it off, but you're better off with the pre-rendered stuff for the most part. Call of Duty and Elder Scrolls come to mind in terms of games that suffer from being a little too much for the N-Gage to run.

As far as sports games go, avoid MLB Slam at all costs. Tony Hawk seems to be the best sports game. The N-Gage was the first system to give people a rea 3D Tony Hawk game on a portable and this game holds up just as well as the original on Playstation.

Myself along with the gaming media has overlooked several of the recent games. Just look around a little to find out info on them, but they also are going to be harder to find at all so... good luck. Really though, for 3 bucks almost any game is worth a shot. Even the crappiest GBA games seem to cost ten bucks, so a simplistic Puyo Pop game isn't exactly much to complain about if it sets you back a whole three bucks.

I agree. I have completely overlooked this system, and am now just realizing the potential it had. Too bad its too late now. It just needed the QD and some good games at launch, and a more accepting user base. But for now, I'm enjoying my free phone and $3 games. :D

[quote name='KrAzY3']
With some considerable exceptions. Be wary of 3D on the N-Gage. Gameloft can pull it off, but you're better off with the pre-rendered stuff for the most part. Call of Duty and Elder Scrolls come to mind in terms of games that suffer from being a little too much for the N-Gage to run.

[/QUOTE]

good points, but you should have mentioned ONE in the 3d category as well. considering the system it's on, ONE (only played the 30% compete demo) looks great on the system and plays well to. not the greatest of fighting games, but the devs did take thier time to get it to look great and play good. definatly one of the best examples of 3d on the system

here are two screenshot i just took from the demo
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/4597/scrshot28cd.jpg
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/4018/scrshotd8gm.jpg

[quote name='ashram']good points, but you should have mentioned ONE in the 3d category as well. considering the system it's on, ONE (only played the 30% compete demo) looks great on the system and plays well to. not the greatest of fighting games, but the devs did take thier time to get it to look great and play good. definatly one of the best examples of 3d on the system

here are two screenshot i just took from the demo
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/4597/scrshot28cd.jpg
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/4018/scrshotd8gm.jpg[/QUOTE]

That's one of the games I haven't played. The N-Gage can do 3D, it just has to be well programmed and some developers obviously didn't care how well the game played.

I'd just prefer people look into the 3D games before they buy them, like Call of Duty, Shadowkey, Red Faction and Operation Shadow... But sure, Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk, Ghost Recon, etc... the N-Gage can do 3D well if the programmers took the effort to do it right.

[quote name='KrAzY3']That's one of the games I haven't played. The N-Gage can do 3D, it just has to be well programmed and some developers obviously didn't care how well the game played.

I'd just prefer people look into the 3D games before they buy them, like Call of Duty, Shadowkey, Red Faction and Operation Shadow... But sure, Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk, Ghost Recon, etc... the N-Gage can do 3D well if the programmers took the effort to do it right.[/quote]

SSX's engine surprised the hell out of me.

For someone looking into it, the 3d is somewhere in-between the GBA and DS, leaning a bit closer to the GBA in most cases.

[quote name='maccabee72']Oh OK, not sure why mine is working and yours isn't. I'm having no problem accessing T-zones or N-gage arena. If there are any other settings you want me to check, just let me know......[/QUOTE]
Yesterday I wound up deleting anything that said "cingular" anywhere, which included all of the pre-installed access points. That didn't do anything, but at least I'm not fearing dialing into a different network and making "data calls," which sound pricey, though I don't really know.

Also, I have already tried the settings from the N-Gage site, both with and without proxy.

Here's the contents of the access point configuration info they sent directly to my phone:
Connection name: T-Zones GPRS
Data bearer: GPRS
Access point name: wap.voicestream.com
User name: None (blank)
Prompt password: No
Password: **** (blank)
Authentication: Secure
Homepage: http://wap.myvoicestream.com
Gateway IP address: 216.155.165.50
Connection security: Off
Session mode: Permanent

Advanced Settings
Device IP address: Automatic
Primary name server: 0.0.0.0
Second. name server: 0.0.0.0
Proxy serv. address: None
Proxy port number: 0

GPRS Settings
GPRS connection: (currently) When needed (tried both)
Access point: wap.voicestream.com

Please check if there are any differences anywhere. Or maybe there's some other setting area that I failed to check.

The thing is, it seems I can get onto the GPRS network because my little antenna signal strength icon turns into a G, but I always get "Web: Connection time out" errors after a minute or two of seeing the little box by the signal strength indicator pulsing.

Thanks in advance--I appreciate the help.

[quote name='dafunkk12']

Please check if there are any differences anywhere. Or maybe there's some other setting area that I failed to check.

The thing is, it seems I can get onto the GPRS network because my little antenna signal strength icon turns into a G, but I always get "Web: Connection time out" errors after a minute or two of seeing the little box by the signal strength indicator pulsing.

Thanks in advance--I appreciate the help.[/QUOTE]

Try these...
Connection Name: t-zones
Data Bearer: GPRS
Access point name: wap.voicestream.com
User name: Nokia
Prompt Password: No
Password: none
Authentication: Normal
Homepage: http://wap.myvoicestream.com
Gateway IP Address: 216.155.165.50
Connection Security: Off
Session Mode: Permanent

Advance GPRS Settings

Device IP Address: Automatic
Primary Name Server: 0.0.0.0
Second. Name Server: 0.0.0.0
Proxy Serv. Address: 216.155.165.50 (try with none if having connection problems)
Proxy Port Number: 8080

I noticed on yours you had a password and the Authentication was set to Secure that might be what is causing the conflict.

[quote name='wirelessguy']Try these...

I noticed on yours you had a password and the Authentication was set to Secure that might be what is causing the conflict.[/QUOTE]
As I said, I already tried using the settings listed on the N-Gage site, both with and without proxy. I tried changing Authentication to Normal again (and no, I didn't enter a password), but still no luck.

Are you personally able to access T-Zones? Maybe I'm just unlucky.

EDIT: I don't know what happened, but after logging in again and getting an HTTP 500 error, it seems I now have functional internet. Thanks for everyone's assistance! Now to get myself an MMC, Bluetooth adapter for my PC, and some nice apps like Opera.

[quote name='spiderdog']How do you Upgrade the Firmware for N-Gage?[/QUOTE]
send it to nokia....or maybe your local provider center may be able to

If it isn't one thing, it's another.

Anyone able to install Opera Mini? I've tried to directly install it from the browser, but run into an Applications: System Error, and I've tried the send-files-to-QD-then-install method but get an Unable to Install error that way.

I'm attempting to install it to the device memory, and I have 1518kB left, so I don't think I should be having a memory issue with a 100k file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdog
How do you Upgrade the Firmware for N-Gage?

send it to nokia....or maybe your local provider center may be able to
I went to 2 Cingular Stores and they looked at me and said "WHAT?"

[quote name='spiderdog']I went to 2 Cingular Stores and they looked at me and said "WHAT?"[/QUOTE]
nokia it is then...if you really want it flashed that bad...

[quote name='dafunkk12']If it isn't one thing, it's another.

Anyone able to install Opera Mini? I've tried to directly install it from the browser, but run into an Applications: System Error, and I've tried the send-files-to-QD-then-install method but get an Unable to Install error that way.

I'm attempting to install it to the device memory, and I have 1518kB left, so I don't think I should be having a memory issue with a 100k file.[/QUOTE]

did you try both the jar and jad file? 1 will work, the other won't
http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/operamini/phones/?phone=nokia_n-gage
http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/operamini/phones/?phone=nokia_n-gage_qd

not sure which n-gage you have (and i believe the files are identical) but between these 2 links are 4 files to try. try all 4 until 1 works. 1 did for me, but i can't remember if it was the jar or jad file.

If anyone has an extra QD for sale please let me know. I can't seem to find one for sale. Will make it worthwhile for anyone who can help me out.
Thanks.

[quote name='ecwfan']If anyone has an extra QD for sale please let me know. I can't seem to find one for sale. Will make it worthwhile for anyone who can help me out.
Thanks.[/quote]

The store I purchased mine at 2 days ago still had 2 left at the $50 price. If your interested, shoot me a PM with an idea on what your looking to pay.

[quote name='ashram']did you try both the jar and jad file? 1 will work, the other won't

not sure which n-gage you have (and i believe the files are identical) but between these 2 links are 4 files to try. try all 4 until 1 works. 1 did for me, but i can't remember if it was the jar or jad file.[/QUOTE]
I tried both for my QD. I dunno, maybe if I keep at it, it will magically decide to work like T-Zones did.

[quote name='dafunkk12']I tried both for my QD. I dunno, maybe if I keep at it, it will magically decide to work like T-Zones did.[/QUOTE]
you tried both files on both pages? where are you copying them to? how are you copying them?

[quote name='ashram']did you try both the jar and jad file? 1 will work, the other won't

not sure which n-gage you have (and i believe the files are identical) but between these 2 links are 4 files to try. try all 4 until 1 works. 1 did for me, but i can't remember if it was the jar or jad file.[/QUOTE]
I tried both for my QD. I dunno, maybe if I keep at it, it will magically decide to work like T-Zones did.

[quote name='ashram']you tried both files on both pages? where are you copying them to? how are you copying them?[/QUOTE]
I've only tried the files on the QD page. I'm copying them to device memory (I have no MMC) by sending them via BlueTooth from my iMac.

EDIT: What's more annoying than something not ever working is when something that didn't work suddenly works after bugging people to help you. I don't know why it's so different that I only had the JAR file on the N-Gage and ran it that it installed and couldn't do so when I also had the JAD file on the system as well.

I think I've caused enough trouble here.... ;) Thanks everyone, again, for helping out this N-Gage n00b.

My wife went to Gamestop to get a few more games. They were out of all the games, but interestingly enough they did have QDs (the 50 buck ones). She picked up one and left two others. I don't think we want to give up our QD (we do have a original one) but if anyone is really interested in one, PM me with what you'd consider fair. I can't promise they have the other two left, of course, but if it is worth our while she can try to stop be before work and get another one or two. Not trying to be greedy, but getting up early+out of her way+50 bucks+tax+shipping, etc.. I'd expect a little more than 50 bucks, that's one reason I told her to wait to get the others. So anyways, if you're interested hit me up.

I know we have some CAGs who have been loving this system for a while now, but I never considered it before it dropped to this $50 price tag w/ the $3 games.

Now that I've had a little time with it, this may just be my early favorite for deal of the year. I haven't even begun to tap into all the possibilities with this system and have only played a handful of games I have, but I am already loving it.

I think I actually helped sell another today. I was getting my oil changed and when I walked out to get my car, to my surprise, the guy in the pit said, "Hey is that an N-gage?"

I've only had it for a little less than a week but, he's the first person that actually knew what it was. I showed it to him a little and told him how Gamestop was clearancing them out for $49.99 and the games were $2.99. He said he was off to Gamestop after work to grab one, and he thought they were like $300. I told him that I thought there were a few more left, so he should be in luck.

Anyway, the fact that it takes the place of my phone, I have a gaming system with me everywhere I go, easy internet access, and all the other programs, including emulation I have yet to tap, really makes this a great find at $50!

I picked up a couple of Elder Scrolls Shadowkey and Xanadu for those people in search of them. I'd really like to trade at least one for King of Fighters.

Hey guys, loving the system, I'm addicted to pocket kingdom, bomberman and tomb raider as of now, and have about 20 games that i haven;t even opened. I have tmobile, and I am not too tech savvy, but is it possible to get internet on the phone without paying for tzones, and if so how can it be done. If it can't, do you know if its worthwhile to pay the extra for tzones?Thanks in advance.

[quote name='romodome']Hey guys, loving the system, I'm addicted to pocket kingdom, bomberman and tomb raider as of now, and have about 20 games that i haven;t even opened. I have tmobile, and I am not too tech savvy, but is it possible to get internet on the phone without paying for tzones, and if so how can it be done. If it can't, do you know if its worthwhile to pay the extra for tzones?Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I can't be sure, but I don't think it's possible without T-zones. I hooked my T-zones back up the other day and have been accessing a bunch of sites including CAG ever since. I can't wait to get the Opera browser downloaded!

On another note: If anyone has ONE, Mile High Pinball, or High Seize for trade, let me know and I'll try to grab whatever you're looking for. My closest GS still has a bunch of titles!

Anyone know how the online gaming works with cingular? Do you need one of the media plans? And if so...which plan do you need? It seems that it could get awfully expensive.

[quote name='maccabee72']I know we have some CAGs who have been loving this system for a while now, but I never considered it before it dropped to this $50 price tag w/ the $3 games.

Now that I've had a little time with it, this may just be my early favorite for deal of the year. I haven't even begun to tap into all the possibilities with this system and have only played a handful of games I have, but I am already loving it.
[/QUOTE]

It is really sad how overlooked this system is. A large part of that has to due with how Nokia handled it, but the gaming media and some fanboys really were far too harsh. By the time Nokia got their act together with the QD and put out some quality original games (Pathway to Glory and Pocket Kingdom) no one even cared anymore. Hell, I have to confess that I fell behind on things myself. It got so hard to find games or info that there is a lot of games I haven't played and some I barely know anything about.

For 50 bucks and 3 bucks a game I certainly would recommend this as a stellar deal. You can't find a better phone for this price and the games end up just being a bonus.

[quote name='rly723']i'm using a nokia phone right now with a t-mobile service provider. would it be idfficult to switch it over to this ngage?[/QUOTE]
I was using a Samsung phone on T-Mobile and all I had to do was unlock the phone and slip in my SIM card. The phone had no problem automatically getting on the network, and it imported my contacts.

[quote name='assassinX']Would you guys recommend Tomb Raider and Operation Shadow?[/QUOTE]

I haven't really heard many good things about Operation Shadow. I think it is more a case of 3D gone wrong on the N-Gage. Here's a link to a review:
http://ngage.gamespy.com/n-gage/operation-shadow/552426p1.html

There certainly are better games out there for the N-gage.

Tomb Raider... it is pretty much the original game. If you liked the original, you should enjoy this version. If you've forgotten all the quirks of the original game (blocky graphics, dark areas and so on) then you might not like having a reminder. My wife loved both the original and the N-Gage version and both of us can't really tell the two apart. The only real difference I can think of might be audio. To me, it is another example of some people relishing a chance to blast the N-Gage. Oh, it is blocky looking, oh it is dark. Yeah well umm did you play the PSX version?

[quote name='heyfergy']Anyone know how the online gaming works with cingular? Do you need one of the media plans? And if so...which plan do you need? It seems that it could get awfully expensive.[/QUOTE]
you would need one of the data plans, since your technically connecting to the internet. and unfortunatly, these plans are not cheap...

For anyone looking for some games for your N-Gage, don't forget EBgames still has some instock with free shipping. Just search under N-Gage with nothing in the search box. It should pull up 5 games. I would at least recommend picking up Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Pathway to Glory.

bread's done
Back