N64 vs Playstation

A lot of the 2D PS1 games really have aged a lot better than the N64 ones. That being said, I never owned a PS1 and had some great multiplayer times with the N64. However I played a ton of PS1 rpgs on my PS2 and loved them all.

N64 wins in multiplayer
PS1 wins in single player

N64 had Mario 64, Zelda, Starfox, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Smash Bros. EDIT: Mario Tennis.

PS1 had Castlevania SotN, Resident Evil 1, 2(the port sucked on N64) and 3, Mega Man 8, Mega Man X4, Tomba, Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, Crash, Spyro, Breath of Fire, Star Ocean, Street Fighter Alpha, Tekken, The Kitchen Sink and tons of other series that people prefer because you could actually choose several games per genre!

It's like comparing a great night at a fine restaurant to an entire year of being fed by a personal chef.

The N64 was my preferred console to play with friends, but PS1 dominated the other 6 days of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
The N64 had some truly great games, but mainly just Nintendo franchises. PS1 had just countless awesome games, far more than the N64 easily. I'd say the PS1 pretty much shaped what gaming is like today, and really modernized video games.

N64. I don't ever remember a bunch of people trekking over to a friends house to play PS1 back in middle school. Almost every game we play had some type of 4 player solid multi player. Wave Race, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok 2 (cerebral bore!), Smash Brothers, Diddy Kong Racing, WCW vs NWO, No Mercy, NFL Blitz, Bomberman 64, Starfox (dogfight battles), Vigilante 8 (bass quake!). It was an even blend of 'social' and 'core' gaming.

[quote name='Mad D']N64. I don't ever remember a bunch of people trekking over to a friends house to play PS1 back in middle school. Almost every game we play had some type of 4 player solid multi player. Wave Race, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok 2 (cerebral bore!), Smash Brothers, Diddy Kong Racing, WCW vs NWO, No Mercy, NFL Blitz, Bomberman 64, Starfox (dogfight battles), Vigilante 8 (bass quake!). It was an even blend of 'social' and 'core' gaming.[/quote]That's an interesting point. The N64 was kind of a hybrid between the Wii's social multiplayer (with it's 4 controller ports and tons of great mulitplayer games) and the Xbox 360/PS3 core gamer focus (with games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok, LoZ: Ocarina of Time, Paper Mario, the multitude of excellent platformers, etc.). The only thing that holds the N64 was the lack of quantity. The PS1 just had a lot more great games coming out each year.

[quote name='willardhaven']N64 had Mario 64, Zelda, Starfox, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Smash Bros. EDIT: Mario Tennis.

PS1 had Castlevania SotN, Resident Evil 1, 2(the port sucked on N64) and 3, Mega Man 8, Mega Man X4, Tomba, Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, Crash, Spyro, Breath of Fire, Star Ocean, Street Fighter Alpha, Tekken, The Kitchen Sink and tons of other series that people prefer because you could actually choose several games per genre!

It's like comparing a great night at a fine restaurant to an entire year of being fed by a personal chef.

The N64 was my preferred console to play with friends, but PS1 dominated the other 6 days of the week.[/quote]Yeah, the PS1 defintely had more great games, but lets not sell the N64 short, the N64 also had Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, Jet Force Gemini, Mischief Makers, Blast Corps, Body Harvest, Space Station Silicon Valley, Ogre Battle 64, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Beetle Adventure Racing, Hybrid Heaven, Turok series, Mystical Ninja starring Goemon, Goemon's great Adventure, Ridge Racer 64, and Starcraft 64. I could probably keep on going with about another 15 very good games but you get the point.

The N64's library probably has about half as many very good games as the PS1 however it is still a very under-rated library with a lot of sleepers. In fact I think the N64 library has the most sleepers of any system. I mean people generally know what the best games were on almost every other system but the N64 library is full of games like Mischief Makers and Hybrid Heaven which most people have no clue about and probably think are mediocre games but are actually hidden gems.

I think a lot people didn't take the N64 seriously, and I'm sure if I had the time zero I could pick apart that list you had.

Starcraft 64, sure its rare, but after playing on 64, I need the pc version. Never played Hybrid Heaven or Beetle racing, was Beattle racing like Rush at all? Cause I liked Rush. I don't think I gave Mischief Makers or Silicon Valley a chance cause they seemed to be aimed at kids/platformers. I wanted to try Mystical Ninja, Rogue Squadron is better on pc still.

So we've decided that 3d graphics wise N64 does a better job most of the time. We established that Playstation had a bigger library and a longer run. Playstation also had some sleeper hits as well.

I think a lot developers ignored the N64 cause of the cartridge and hardware limitations or they were worried about the system's market. I mean some of the games that came out at the end of the PS1's life very nice, many of the games were multi discs. I think Tony Hawk 3 was one of the last games that came out for 64...and it looks like crap, that may have been cause it was a bad port.

We should look at some reviews for cross platform games and see where they score.

Multitude of platformers isn't usually a good thing, just cause one genre sells they don't need to make crap like Earthworm Jim 64 or Glover, etc. I'll think of some more in a sec.

[quote name='Zerostatic']the N64 also had Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, Jet Force Gemini, Mischief Makers, Blast Corps, Body Harvest, Space Station Silicon Valley, Ogre Battle 64, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Beetle Adventure Racing, Hybrid Heaven, Turok series, Mystical Ninja starring Goemon, Goemon's great Adventure, Ridge Racer 64, and Starcraft 64. I could probably keep on going with about another 15 very good games but you get the point.
[/quote]

I agree with with most of the games on your list.

I remember when I first played Beetle Adventure Racing and thought it was going to suck. It was actually very addicting. I had more fun playing single player, than multiplayer.

I also just remembered about Harvest Moon 64 which I was also hooked on.

I had both.

Gotta say that I played much more PlayStation...by myself. Single-player games were great on that system.

But when I had friends over, or when I was headed to a friend's house, we were playing N64.

Which is better? Tough call. I'd say I probably had more fun in the group settings, which means I'd give my nod to the N64. But really, I'd much rather call it a draw (for me).

[quote name='Zerostatic']Yeah, the PS1 defintely had more great games, but lets not sell the N64 short, the N64 also had Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, Jet Force Gemini, Mischief Makers, Blast Corps, Body Harvest, Space Station Silicon Valley, Ogre Battle 64, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Beetle Adventure Racing, Hybrid Heaven, Turok series, Mystical Ninja starring Goemon, Goemon's great Adventure, Ridge Racer 64, and Starcraft 64. I could probably keep on going with about another 15 very good games but you get the point.
[/QUOTE]

The point would be that the N64 library compares miserably to the PS1 library. Why it's a debate that last more that 2 seconds is ridiculous. I did a long rant on it over at my website: www.ogmaster.com.

[quote name='ogmaster']The point would be that the N64 library compares miserably to the PS1 library. Why it's a debate that last more that 2 seconds is ridiculous. I did a long rant on it over at my website: www.ogmaster.com.[/quote]I don't really like the way you put that. The PS1 had more great/very good games then the N64. So? Some people like the Dreamcast more then the Gamecube and yet the Gamecube has more then double the number of games that scored over 80 on Metacritic. When we're talking about systems retroactively we have to take into account more then just the number of good games. I mean, seriously I was a total PS1 guy back in the day and to this day it remains to be the system that gave me the most memories. However, nowadays the N64, Playstation, and Saturn are on more even ground for many reasons. First, anyone who collects these systems now doesn't have to wait between game droughts like they did in the day. The N64 and Saturn hardware are more durable then the PS1 hardware, especially the N64 which has the benefit of no moving parts thanks to cartridges which are also very durable. Also the N64 and Saturn library have aged slightly better then the PS1 library (the N64 because though all 3d in that gen was bad, the N64 had the best and the Saturn because of it's excellent 2d). Bottom-line to me is that if you are going to get 100+ games for one of these systems then no question the PS1 is your choice. However if all you needed was 20 games from one of these system then they are all pretty close to each other (i.e the best 20 games on the N64 in my opinion are on par with the best 20 games on PS1, the Saturn is also up there depending on what genre's are your favorite).

[quote name='anomynous']Why is DK64 considered bad? I liked it[/quote]It's not bad, it's one of those games that was a little over-rated when it came out and now people hate on it so much that it has become severely under-rated. Similar to how some people hate on Final Fantasy X and Halo.

I'm surprised there's even a debate.

N64 had vastly better software than the PS1. Not that the PS1 was bad, but it had nothing to compete with 4 player Golden Eye, Mario Kart, Star Fox, Smash Bros, Parties, etc. Spyro never really gave Mario a run for his money.

Now, the question as to which aged better is another one in its entirety. But, at the time, N64>>>>>PS1, no question. And yes, we had them both in the dorm and played a lot of each :)

This is hard because both systems had great games.

N64:
SM64
SSBM
Mario Kart
GoldenEye
StarFox
Perfect Dark
Banjo Kazooie series
Conkers Bad Furr Day
Killer Instinct Gold
WWF No Mercy

PS1:
Tomb Raider series
Twisted Metal
Tekken 3
Metal Gear
Gran Turismo
Syphon Filter
Final Fantasy IX
Chrono Cross
Castelvania:Symphony of the Night
Silent Hill

You could look at in another way, which system is more valuable these days. Playstation, I think mario party 1 is the only game that's worth more then $30 besides a few special editions of other games.

And Playstation had Crash Bandicoot, thank you very much.

As for the Dreamcast, technically its a 32 bit system and goes under the generation of playstation and N64, anyways why compare it to the Gamecube? The dreamcast had decent online play for many games, a web browser, homebrew, many decent imports, in the years to come Dreamcasts will go up in value and cubes will most likey level out at a lower value cause of the Wii.

Still Resident Evil 4 and Mario Kart on the GC are good games. But you can't comapre it to the DC, although I just did, apples to oranges.

BTW ogmaster nice blog, way to compare things with the way Atari did things. Sometimes you have to look at they way companies think and say WTF, Sega why did you spread support over a bunch of 90s consoles!??

I only owned a N64 so I guess I'll go with that. I was young and wasn't interested in RPGs so it was a better fit for me. All the Nintendo franchises and Goldeneye gave me plenty to do.

[quote name='kube00']Y
As for the Dreamcast, technically its a 32 bit system and goes under the generation of playstation and N64, anyways why compare it to the Gamecube? The dreamcast had decent online play for many games, a web browser, homebrew, many decent imports, in the years to come Dreamcasts will go up in value and cubes will most likey level out at a lower value cause of the Wii.
[/quote]

DC is definitely part of the Sixth Gen.

It was a transitional system yes, but it's still considered part of the PS2/GC/Xbox generation.

Good point now how many rare games does the playstation have? Besides most of the values of those "rare" 64 games are off, except for the Imports and Ogre Battle

I mean comparing it to ps2 and xbox, wow that's a long stretch but the Dreamcast to the Cube we could do that.

Back in '97 I sold my N64 to buy Playstation and Saturn games. That tells me everything I need to know.

There were some very good N64 games but they were few and far between compared to domestic PSX releases and Saturn imports.

Let's see both fell short and had great games canceled. One had great online play. One had more party games GC, one had better.... I could go on and on, I like the DC better but it would be close, mainly cause I felt screwed by Sega in the end. So back to the ps1 and N64.

I think at the time, it was Playstation, no question.

However, I think they are much closer now, in games that you'd play 10 years later. Playstation has a great line of RPG's, and a few other games (like the Resident Evils).

N64 has some of the classics of gaming (SM64 still playable, Star Fox, etc etc mentioned before).

I have also never figured out why people argue that bad games on a system is bad. They'd rather have a system with 9 great games and 1 bad one (90% ratio) as opposed to a system with 80 great games, 120 bad ones) (40% ratio). Give me more great games, I'm saavy enough to avoid the crappy games.

They are both great systems but I have to say PS1. I had a N64 first and it had great games but it just wasn't enough games on the system. So I sold it and got a PS1, I couldn't be happier with games like Resident Evil, Metal Gear solid, Final Fantasy, crash Bandicoot, Twisted Metal, ect ect.

Playstation destroyed N64. The N64 is when I started to get turned off by Nintendo. IMO it couldn't keep up with the Playstation 1. I'll give it some credit though. It had Conker's Bad Fur Day, one of my favorite games ever. I mean, the system had good games, but that's when (IMO) Nintendo started going downhill.

[quote name='kube00']How about Resident Evil 2 on N64 vs Playstation?[/quote]

RE2 is better on the N64 because it is shown in hi-res 640x480 rather than 640x240. Also the N64 had better controls (point the joystick in the direction you want to go), rather than the PS1's method of driving like a tank. And finally the N64 version includes an extra game.

Also I think the N64 is unfairly maligned. While it's true the N64 has a small library, what it has is triple-plated, 5-star Gold masterpieces:

Mario 64
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Super Smash Bros
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Mario Kart
Donkey Kong 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Goldeneye
Star Wars Racer
Ogre 64
plus the many Party games.

Does the PS1 have 12 exclusive games that are equal to those 12 N64 masterpieces? No not really. PS1 has a lot of games, yes, so you never have to be worried about getting bored. However most of those games are bronze or silver level, and not really worth playing again. You play them and then toss them on ebay.

I own both a PS1 and N64, but I find myself dusting-off the N64 far more often. I even liked my N64 better than my Gamecube.

Nice to hear from someone who just joined us....

As for Gold games, ps1 had many, that are still fun to play today. Intelligent Cube, Twisted Metal, Final Fantasy, Chrono Cross, Gran Turismo, Syphon Filter, etc...
N64 Diddy Kong racing and Star Wars Racer, what are you eight? Those games are at the most a bronze, either clones or designed to take advantage of a franchise. As for the Party games...yea, i don't hear anyone screaming

"OFMG Noobz you have to get Mario Party, its awesome and totally cool!!" I hear another Mario Party game, geeze Nintendo....

Ps1 can support 8 players and has plenty of so called "party" games

What about the FMV cutscreens for RE2 for 64, oh wait the N64 can't do those. Like I said earlier if you want to play a good mature game for N64 (besides PD), and you've never played Resident Evil 2, then be me guest, go play it just don't go run out and buy the system just for that.

[quote name='kube00']mature game[/quote]
Should have said that in the beginning so I would have stopped reading sooner.

[quote name='naes']Should have said that in the beginning so I would have stopped reading sooner.[/quote]

Seconded.

It's kinda ironic. My most mature friends love the so called "kiddy" games, but my most immature friends...and I use the term friends loosely in this case....are always exclusively hyping the next "mature" game.

Good games are good games. Forget about how kiddy or mature they are already!

If we're being honest, only someone who is 8 would care about whether or not games are "mature". Anybody who deprives themselves of the legendary games on N64 because they look kiddy is extremely close-minded.

Furthermore, Playstation 1 couldn't support more than 2 person multiplayer out of the box so it got trumped in that department from the jump. Couple that with how many great multiplayer games came out for N64 and you have a very obvious winner in that category.

Aside from Final Fantasy and perhaps a few others, none of PSX's offerings created enough of a buzz for Sony to keep the different franchises going. One could say that Nintendo whores its franchises so that they have to keep going but there have been franchises that they have let fall by the wayside so that becomes moot.

Like others have said, if you're looking for a quantiful library that won't get you bored, your best bet is PSX. There's a ton of games and that means there's some really solid ones and a ton of just plain fun ones. If you're looking for a system and you only need about 20 games to keep you happy but give you the same amount of value, go with N64.

I'm sorry but the cartridge prices were unacceptable to me. 90 bucks for Donkey Kong 64? Nintendo carried over the biggest problem with SNES over to the N64. I never played the Final Fantasies or Chrono Trigger because they were so damn expensive. The Player's Choice games were few and far between, while the GH line just kept getting better and better (including games that didn't sell spectacularly like Chrono Cross). Sony did the industry a huge favor by lowering the prices of games.

It is no contest in my mind.

[quote name='DQT']I'm sorry but the cartridge prices were unacceptable to me. 90 bucks for Donkey Kong 64? Nintendo carried over the biggest problem with SNES over to the N64. I never played the Final Fantasies or Chrono Trigger because they were so damn expensive. The Player's Choice games were few and far between, while the GH line just kept getting better and better (including games that didn't sell spectacularly like Chrono Cross). Sony did the industry a huge favor by lowering the prices of games.

It is no contest in my mind.[/quote]

I don't remember prices like that!

The most I remember paying for an n64 game was hey you pikachu, and that was only about 70 dollars and came with the mic. Then again, most of the time my parents did the buying... I could've sworn prices were no more than 50 dollars, or maybe 60 dollars.

90 bucks for Donkey Kong 64?! Are you sure? Well trust me, dk64 was nothing special.

[quote name='davo1224']If we're being honest, only someone who is 8 would care about whether or not games are "mature". Anybody who deprives themselves of the legendary games on N64 because they look kiddy is extremely close-minded.

Furthermore, Playstation 1 couldn't support more than 2 person multiplayer out of the box so it got trumped in that department from the jump. Couple that with how many great multiplayer games came out for N64 and you have a very obvious winner in that category.

Aside from Final Fantasy and perhaps a few others, none of PSX's offerings created enough of a buzz for Sony to keep the different franchises going. One could say that Nintendo whores its franchises so that they have to keep going but there have been franchises that they have let fall by the wayside so that becomes moot.

Like others have said, if you're looking for a quantiful library that won't get you bored, your best bet is PSX. There's a ton of games and that means there's some really solid ones and a ton of just plain fun ones. If you're looking for a system and you only need about 20 games to keep you happy but give you the same amount of value, go with N64.[/QUOTE]

Your really reaching for a N64 win arnt you? Yes the N64 had more franchises, but franchises arnt inherently better. First time titles like Persona, Klonoa and Tomba stood up perfectly fine to the established franchises. And the multiplayer thing is a huge stretch. Polls time and time again have shown that most gamers before online play alone or sometimes with one other person. Thinking back as a kid I can only remember a handful of times when we had more then 2 people to play with. Its nice to have 4 control ports, and its nice to play with a bunch of people. But its hardly something that you can claim allowed the N64 to even come close to the PSX.

Looking at it fairly the N64 had a limited library leaving people like RPGers or Adventure fans bored. Meanwhile the PSX had just so many damn good games that there is no excuse that anyone ever should have been bored. I mean seriously from Klonoa to Tomba to Final Fantasy to Disc World and Blazing Dragons. The PSX had every gamer covered.

Fairly looking at it the PSX didnt just beat the N64 it absolutely destroyed it.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Your really reaching for a N64 win arnt you? Yes the N64 had more franchises, but franchises arnt inherently better. First time titles like Persona, Klonoa and Tomba stood up perfectly fine to the established franchises. And the multiplayer thing is a huge stretch. Polls time and time again have shown that most gamers before online play alone or sometimes with one other person. Thinking back as a kid I can only remember a handful of times when we had more then 2 people to play with. Its nice to have 4 control ports, and its nice to play with a bunch of people. But its hardly something that you can claim allowed the N64 to even come close to the PSX.

Looking at it fairly the N64 had a limited library leaving people like RPGers or Adventure fans bored. Meanwhile the PSX had just so many damn good games that there is no excuse that anyone ever should have been bored. I mean seriously from Klonoa to Tomba to Final Fantasy to Disc World and Blazing Dragons. The PSX had every gamer covered.

Fairly looking at it the PSX didnt just beat the N64 it absolutely destroyed it.[/quote]
Shouldn't you be masturbating?

I can't think of many PS1 games I'd want to play today. On the other hand, we pulled out the N64 for some multiplayer mayhem a few months ago. Gotta go with the N64.

[quote name='Genocidal']I can't think of many PS1 games I'd want to play today. On the other hand, we pulled out the N64 for some multiplayer mayhem a few months ago. Gotta go with the N64.[/quote]

Very true as me and my friends busted out with our dusty n64 games and controllers a few days ago....And that's probably the reason why n64 was superior...

[quote name='Bathory']Very true as me and my friends busted out with our dusty n64 games and controllers a few days ago....And that's probably the reason why n64 was superior...[/QUOTE]

This is just bias. I mean seriously Klonoa, Poy Poy, Incredible Panic, the whole FF series, Parasite eve and most other Square RPGs(hell most of the RPGs period), Disc World Tomba 1 and 2. Sure alot of games like Tomb Raider didnt hold up well but again looking at it fairly I bet there are still more then twice the good games on the PSX that held up well.

I think the biggest problem is that the PSX got so many great games that people just ended up playing the mainstream ones and ignoring all the greet hidden gems in its library. Seriously iv had this conversation with people in person before and they draw blank when I name half the damn PSX library and ask them what the games about.

[quote name='MSI Magus']

I think the biggest problem is that the PSX got so many great games that people just ended up playing the mainstream ones and ignoring all the greet hidden gems in its library. Seriously iv had this conversation with people in person before and they draw blank when I name half the damn PSX library and ask them what the games about.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this, i'm seeing a lot of oh these n64 franchises were the best ever posts or there was nothing good on the psx...... that is almost impossible with some what thousand games released in the U.S? That is ignoring the Japanese games that never made it here, but yeah it really does seem like few people went out of their way to go see what the psx library really contained.

[quote name='MSI Magus']This is just bias. I mean seriously Klonoa, Poy Poy, Incredible Panic, the whole FF series, Parasite eve and most other Square RPGs(hell most of the RPGs period), Disc World Tomba 1 and 2. Sure alot of games like Tomb Raider didnt hold up well but again looking at it fairly I bet there are still more then twice the good games on the PSX that held up well.

I think the biggest problem is that the PSX got so many great games that people just ended up playing the mainstream ones and ignoring all the greet hidden gems in its library. Seriously iv had this conversation with people in person before and they draw blank when I name half the damn PSX library and ask them what the games about.[/quote]

I agree with that, but at the same time I think the n64 is a bit of a step above. You don't even want to know the crap my ps1 friends played, could've very well have been the reason they quit gaming. They completely forgot about revolutionary gems like Parappa the Rapper or Um Jammer Lammy. But luckily the best n64 games were often the most mainstream.

Let's face it, Nintendo makes some of the best games ever, it's just what they do. Even if the ps1 had a lot of great games, it's hard to compete with games like Super Mario 64 and LoZ Oot.

I really think it's a battle of quality vs. quantity. I may have had more ps1 games than n64 games, but which system did I play more? The n64.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Your really reaching for a N64 win arnt you? Yes the N64 had more franchises, but franchises arnt inherently better. First time titles like Persona, Klonoa and Tomba stood up perfectly fine to the established franchises. And the multiplayer thing is a huge stretch. Polls time and time again have shown that most gamers before online play alone or sometimes with one other person. Thinking back as a kid I can only remember a handful of times when we had more then 2 people to play with. Its nice to have 4 control ports, and its nice to play with a bunch of people. But its hardly something that you can claim allowed the N64 to even come close to the PSX.

Fairly looking at it the PSX didnt just beat the N64 it absolutely destroyed it.[/quote]

Multiplayer isn't the reason that N64 is better. It's just one of the reasons that makes N64 so good. There really is no argument in that area though. No one who was big into multiplayer in that era would ever choose PSX over N64 unless that's what they had.

As far as who had better games, I already shared my thoughts on that. If you're looking for a variety of titles that provide some good fun, PSX is your best choice. If you're looking for some of the best of all time stuff and don't need a million games, N64 is your best bet. There's no way you can compare stuff like Klonoa and Poy Poy to what the N64 had to offer as far as timeless games. That's not to say that PSX had no classic games. It just means that N64 had games that evoke strong sentiment from the majority of gamers moreso than what PSX had to offer.

At the time I loved my N64 more. Smash Bros, Mario 64, Goldeneye, No Mercy, and Star Fox stand out as some of my favorite games, but now that I've begun buying PSX games again I definitely think it has the better library.

bread's done
Back