NBA LIVE 07 Cover Athlete... who picks this crap?

neudog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
281 (100%)
Who in the world would choose Tracy McGrady for their cover athlete. Not sure of his stats in 06, but regardless it doesn't make him cover athlete material. Now it is not that I dislike McGrady, he has talent, but I figured EA would at least choose a Dallas Maverick....can we say Nowitzki people. I was talking to spectreon about this and he informed me that the German version of Live 07 has Dirk and China got Yao. This is just another reason why EA is plummiting and 2K is rising.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I'd be willing to bet that T-Mac will sell more copies here in America than Dirk. It's all about the sales.[/QUOTE]

Even knowing this there are a list of guys to go before McGrady. How about Lebron, Ben Wallace, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, or anyone that made the playoffs last year. McGrady is nothing but a seat filler he will never win a championship. Also some will defend the choice because the athlete promotes a new addition into the current copy and I respond that there are playoff players who fit this. EA sucks in basketball and they won't... quote me on this won't recover this generation of gaming.

T-Mac would still in all likelihood sell more copies than all those athletes other than LeBron. Even though Duncan, Wallace, and others may indeed be more skilled at their position than T-Mac, T-Mac is the better choice.

T-Mac is hip and exciting to watch, something EA wants associated with their product. It's all about marketing, not who's the better overall basketball player.

Duncan - live 2000 cover
Dirk - Not very marketable in the US
Lebron - No idea
Kobe - Image is questionable
Ben Wallace - nobody who doesnt watch basketball knows about this guy, was signed with 2k a few years ago

I'm sure Tracy will sell more covers (it's a popularity contest), and even though 2K is much better than Live I dont see how the cover athlete makes a difference.

[quote name='Murcielago77']Duncan - live 2000 cover
Dirk - Not very marketable in the US
Lebron - No idea
Kobe - Image is questionable
Ben Wallace - nobody who doesnt watch basketball knows about this guy, was signed with 2k a few years ago[/QUOTE]

You don't think a white guy is very marketable? White people want someone who is white to cheer for, just look at what Larry Bird did in the 80's.

Kobe is pimping out the SCEA game this year which is why he is not on the cover of Live or 2K7.

T-Mac did not even play last year, so giving him the cover is a joke.

In the end though its not the person that sells the game, it is the word Live. Just like with Madden, everything else is just window dressing. I have never heard anyone run out to buy a copy of a sports game because of the cover athlete (if cover athletes sold games, the NFL Fever franchise would still be around).

It's mainly because they put D-wade on when they could get him for cheap. :)

Now his services probably cost a little more. :)

It has to do with popularity, regardless of how his season was last year. Most people cant even properly pronounce "Nowitzki".

[quote name='knee']It's mainly because they put D-wade on when they could get him for cheap. :)

Now his services probably cost a little more. :)[/quote]

Bingo! :applause:

The amount for LeBron is probably more than any other player. That isn't to say it won't happen someday though.

Good players are marketable regardless of color. I would think 2-time MVP Steve Nash would move games and would be a better choice for the cover. The way he plays is exciting and fits well with a cover IMO. I don't have a huge problem with T-Mac on the cover though.

I think they should go with a rookie and a vet on each cover though. Tie the present to the future.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']You don't think a white guy is very marketable? White people want someone who is white to cheer for, just look at what Larry Bird did in the 80's.

Kobe is pimping out the SCEA game this year which is why he is not on the cover of Live or 2K7.

T-Mac did not even play last year, so giving him the cover is a joke.

In the end though its not the person that sells the game, it is the word Live. Just like with Madden, everything else is just window dressing. I have never heard anyone run out to buy a copy of a sports game because of the cover athlete (if cover athletes sold games, the NFL Fever franchise would still be around).[/quote]
i dont think it's his skin color that doesn't make him marketable...it''s that more people know who tmac is than nowitzki

Does McGrady even know what game he is on the cover of?

[quote name='neudog']Even knowing this there are a list of guys to go before McGrady. How about Lebron, Ben Wallace, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, or anyone that made the playoffs last year. McGrady is nothing but a seat filler he will never win a championship. Also some will defend the choice because the athlete promotes a new addition into the current copy and I respond that there are playoff players who fit this. EA sucks in basketball and they won't... quote me on this won't recover this generation of gaming.[/quote]You just answered your own question, because he's a seat filler. EA puts the guys who are popular, exciting, money making players on the cover of their games. That's why you don't see Walter Jones on the cover of Madden, or the afformentioned Tony Parker on the cover of the US version of NBA Live.

[quote name='ananag112']Does McGrady even know what game he is on the cover of?

[/quote]

it's photoshopped...on the game he's signing, you can see part of the ball where the nba live 07 cover has a ball

From my NBA Live 07 Xbox/PS2 review for Yahoo:
NBA Live 07 is a lot like its cover athlete, Tracy McGrady: It's capable of some stunning moves, worthy of the highlight reels, but is a little too offensive-minded and selfish. It's got a lot of skill, but doesn't do enough to get to the playoffs.

The guy deserves props for being so good despite a lazy eye, though. And I bought a pair of his shoes recently; they're pretty fly.

[quote name='ViolentLee']From my NBA Live 07 Xbox/PS2 review for Yahoo:

The guy deserves props for being so good despite a lazy eye, though. And I bought a pair of his shoes recently; they're pretty fly.[/quote]

does a lazy eye affect your ability or skills?

[quote name='swetooth9']does a lazy eye affect your ability or skills?[/QUOTE]
I'd think it'd affect depth perception, if nothing else.

Wikipedia is with me. Here's what it says:
[Strabismus] typically involves a lack of coordination between the extraocular muscles which prevents bringing the gaze of each eye to the same point in space, preventing proper binocular vision, which may adversely affect depth perception.

Judging from early reviews, their cover athlete is the least of their worries.

I'm sure it will still sell like gangbusters, bugs and all.

yea another thing to consider is, if you were to go watch tracy mcgrady highlights, and then watch dirk highlights, which is more entertaining to watch. Sure dirk is a better player, but t-mac is just more fun to watch. I forgot about kobe being on nba 07, too bad that game stinks. Id like to see him on 2k8

Yeah I have exactly what he has, It's pretty hard to see something without glasses or contacts, and even with contacts or glasses it's still pretty hard to consentrate.

[quote name='Michael.munoz']Yeah I have exactly what he has, It's pretty hard to see something without glasses or contacts, and even with contacts or glasses it's still pretty hard to consentrate.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a J? The Jazz could use you on Thursday to avoid being eliminated in their playoff series. ;)

[quote name='ViolentLee']Do you have a J? The Jazz could use you on Thursday to avoid being eliminated in their playoff series. ;)[/quote]
Correct me if I wrong, but the Rockets are up 3-2, not down.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']Correct me if I wrong, but the Rockets are up 3-2, not down.[/QUOTE]
That's what I'm saying. If he's got the same lazy eye as McGrady and can play, get him in a Jazz uniform and let's force a game 7! Sit AK-47, as he can't score a basket to save his life.

[quote name='ViolentLee']That's what I'm saying. If he's got the same lazy eye as McGrady and can play, get him in a Jazz uniform and let's force a game 7! Sit AK-47, as he can't score a basket to save his life.[/quote]
Oh Ok, I read your post wrong.

[quote name='neudog']Who in the world would choose Tracy McGrady for their cover athlete. Not sure of his stats in 06, but regardless it doesn't make him cover athlete material. Now it is not that I dislike McGrady, he has talent, but I figured EA would at least choose a Dallas Maverick....can we say Nowitzki people. I was talking to spectreon about this and he informed me that the German version of Live 07 has Dirk and China got Yao. This is just another reason why EA is plummiting and 2K is rising.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking this has to do more with the fact that someone from your favorite team didn't get picked. Dude its just a cover of the game. Once you stick it on the shelf you don't have to look at it anymore.

[quote name='Graystone']I'm thinking this has to do more with the fact that someone from your favorite team didn't get picked. Dude its just a cover of the game. Once you stick it on the shelf you don't have to look at it anymore.[/QUOTE]

Wow the voice of reason.:roll: To revive this thread at this moment means you're A.) a McGrady fan, B.) a Mavericks hater, C.) thought you would revive this because Houston is still..... I mean out of the playoffs. Also it seems that game companies typically place players who either won the championship, will have the best chance at it or displays a skill that is a new feature it the title. McGrady is what Kobe is right now in his career, a seat filler. Regardless of his numbers he will not win a championship with his style of play.

bread's done
Back