NBA Live 09 or NBA 2k9: What's the CAG consensus?

Wait why cant I have it in my sig?

It fits the limit and with all the dumbass over the top sigs on CAG I am sure it fine.

:roll:

EDIT: Oh and someone did credit him.

Ok so this sucks for someone who is undecided on which game to get like me. Team Xbox gave Live an 8.5, IGN tonight gave 2K9 an 8.5...... now what? Both games sound really good so I guess I should play the demos again and decide for myself???

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Live has the online Be a Pro club feature like NHL 09, right?

It's disappointing that you can't actually create yourself in Be A Pro like you do in NHL 09, but you must take over for another real player instead.[/quote]

I'm guessing the reason for that is there isn't a true farm system for the NBA like there is for the NHL. The NBDL is affiliated with the NBA of course, but each team is not attached to an NBA team. There's no Celtics minor leage team, etc. so it would be kinda hard I guess to specify which team you wanted to go to, unless they just signed out as an undrafted free agent.

What does that have to with just creating yourself as a Be A Pro to start out as a rookie in the draft, like how Madden handles its career mode?

[quote name='kennistond']The deal breaker for me was that NBA Live 09 has Be a Pro which I love in Madden so hopefully I'll like it in NBA.[/quote]

What?

You like be a pro in madden? That mode is completely broken in every aspect....every one of them.

Sometimes I feel people just trick themselves into liking certain things because be a pro madden is unlikable you cant play it with any position other than QB because the AI will wind up throwing 7-10 picks a game.

I could understand if you said be a pro Euro Cup 2008 because it was by far the best mode I ever played in any sports video game. And it actually worked to perfection.

Fifa 09 will also have a stellar Be a Pro mode. But madden? Your fing out your mind if you think that mode is anything but broken.

Haven't decided which one to pick up yet. 2k9 plays much more like an actual basketball game, but I loved NBA LIVE 08 team play. I know 2k9 will have something similiar this year, but I don't know how they will handle it. Both games graphics could be better. I will wait for some reviews and then figure it out. Either way there could be a better basketball game on the market both games have flaws.

I can't believe people are still saying 2k is better than live. Look really sit down and play the game and the answer is clear. I am a basketball fan and when it comes to more realistic movements and flow hands down live has it. 2k men don't run down the court they glide like there on ice, all there moves don't feel true cause they carry no weight with them, the blocking is horrible, if you have someone like shack down low you have to wait until he misses a shot to basically stop him it's all arcade ball, look at the colors in the game it's all bright like they have a million watt bulb over top of them, and just point blank the gameplay is sub-par. I don't know who that 2k player was talking that crap about the live but i guess he never been out there on the court in real life almost any NBA player will tell you that live is still on top.

[quote name='ganja luva']I can't believe people are still saying 2k is better than live. Look really sit down and play the game and the answer is clear. I am a basketball fan and when it comes to more realistic movements and flow hands down live has it. 2k men don't run down the court they glide like there on ice, all there moves don't feel true cause they carry no weight with them, the blocking is horrible, if you have someone like shack down low you have to wait until he misses a shot to basically stop him it's all arcade ball, look at the colors in the game it's all bright like they have a million watt bulb over top of them, and just point blank the gameplay is sub-par. I don't know who that 2k player was talking that crap about the live but i guess he never been out there on the court in real life almost any NBA player will tell you that live is still on top.[/QUOTE]

LMAO at the bolded part.

But yeah, I disagree based on the demos. When it comes to the full games, that may be true. I don't know, since I haven't played either. But after being disappointed with 2K8, I was all ready to switch to Live. but the Live demo just, well sucked. I played on the default difficulty and was able to break to the hoop for a dunk on literally every play. No challenge. The graphics sucked compared to 2K9, and the gameplay just felt awkward and arcadey. I even shut out the CPU once or twice.

Oh, and I have a question for you guys- is it just me, being a fan of the Lakers and being used to playing as them, or are they really infinitely better than the Celtics on the 2K9 demo? When playing as Boston, I could never win. I lost half my games and tied the other half. But with LA, I was winning by at least 7, usually double digits, and a couple times put up 24-25 points against single digit scoring from the Celtics.

EDIT: One more thing- TO WHOMEVER CREATES THE 2K9 LEAGUE- can you please wait until next week? I won't be purchasing the game until then due to both money issues as well as the Toys R Us buy 2 get 1 free sale, and I believe some other CAGs are in the same boat as far as the sale goes.

I replayed both demos last night and I'm about 90% sure I'm getting Live. I just like the actual gameplay much better.

Picked up 2K9 earlier today. I'm all set for some league play!

EDIT: I got the Wizards

Last edited by a moderator:
I played both demos and liked 'em both. I would've just stuck with just 2K9 this year, but Live played much better than it has in a long while. Not to mention, Amazon already shipped me Live last week and I just got it today (kinda threw off my plan, as I didn't think Amazon would do release-date shipping on just the Free Standard Ship option), but I also have 2K9 pre-ordered @ BBV. I'm torn enough that I may actually end up keeping both. :p

One thing about 2K9's online roster feature in comparison to Live's 365/DNA, is the promise of unlockable animations that are tied into the players' real life performances. That sounds so awesome in theory.

Edit: reviews up for comparisons?

2K9
8.5 from IGN
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/916/916726p1.html

A- from 1up
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3170412

Live09
8.5 from TeamXbox
http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1587/NBA-Live-09/p1/

B from 1up
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3170413

If he gets the Bulls, my favorite team, then I'm taking the Lakers. Sorry, FrankySox.

But shouldn't we wait to call teams till we know who's forming the league and all that jazz?

Will have to pick the game up at the TRU sale !

Calling dibs on the Boston Celtics when league time comes around!

Here's the interested parties so far for a 2k9 league.

Immortal fWd - Suns
Poor2More - Mavericks
sstyler24 - Bulls
Matt Young - Lakers
JDMx8 - Celtics
Pure Apathy - Rockets
-GoodFella- - Wizards
ighosty - Clippers
XXXplosive1 - Pistons

Did I miss anyone? Who wants to start this?

I've decided to go with NBA 2k9. I did that because I plan to get either 09 or 2k9 off of Goozex and I don't want to spend another 19.99 just to have the dna update thing.

If we're calling teams, I guess I'll take the Rockets. I wanted the Bulls though. Matt you should take the Kings and not be an asshole :p

1) I hate the Kings. I like the Lakers. Bulls first, Lakers second.

2) Someone else picked the Bulls before me. I chose the Lakers. Although I have a feeling the "calling teams" in this thread won't matter once an actual league gets going.

[quote name='Matt Young']1) I hate the Kings. I like the Lakers. Bulls first, Lakers second.

2) Someone else picked the Bulls before me. I chose the Lakers. Although I have a feeling the "calling teams" in this thread won't matter once an actual league gets going.[/quote]

Yeah I know. I'm just giving you shit. You need to get on Rock Band soon.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']Here's the interested parties so far for a 2k9 league.

Immortal fWd - Suns
Poor2More - Mavericks
sstyler24 - Bulls
Matt Young - Lakers
JDMx8 - Celtics
Pure Apathy - Rockets

Did I miss anyone? Who wants to start this?[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I'm not on the list :(

I already picked the Wizards.

EDIT: I can start setting up the league if you guys want. We could probably start playing sometime next week since alot of people don't have the game yet and are waiting for the buy 2 get 1 free from Toys R Us promo going on next week to pick it up.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']Here's the interested parties so far for a 2k9 league.

Immortal fWd - Suns
Poor2More - Mavericks
sstyler24 - Bulls
Matt Young - Lakers
JDMx8 - Celtics
Pure Apathy - Rockets

Did I miss anyone? Who wants to start this?[/quote]

I'll take the Clippers.

I'm not sure when I will be picking it up tho.

I'm interested, but ighosty already took the Clippers. Agh. I'm not sure when I'm picking up 2k9 so I'll post my team later.

I'll be getting it next tuesday on the TRU deal.(Getting Saints Row 2 and Dead Space as well) Count me in on 2K9 as the Pistons.

[quote name='-GoodFella-']Yeah...I'm not on the list :(

I already picked the Wizards.

EDIT: I can start setting up the league if you guys want. We could probably start playing sometime next week since alot of people don't have the game yet and are waiting for the buy 2 get 1 free from Toys R Us promo going on next week to pick it up.[/QUOTE]

I updated the list. Here it is. If you want to be the commish of the league by all means go ahead and start it up, I have no experience running a league.

Immortal fWd - Suns
Poor2More - Mavericks
sstyler24 - Bulls
Matt Young - Lakers
JDMx8 - Celtics
Pure Apathy - Rockets
-GoodFella- - Wizards
ighosty - Clippers
XXXplosive1 - Pistons
knightsdwn - Knicks
MSUHitman - Hornets
FrankySox - Blazers
Renegade_Zero - Jazz

[quote name='-GoodFella-']Cool, once we have the final number of participants I'll go ahead and set it up.[/QUOTE]

I think FrankySox would be interested, but I'm not sure since I took his team. Well, my local team. But I was forced to pick my #2 after someone else picked the Bulls, dammit!

Yeah... I'll link him to the thread, just in case.

Yeah I'm definitely interested but I have a short list of teams I'd be willing to be. Can I just put in the Blazers right now? I'm a huge Lakers fan but I don't want to get flamed for picking them.

Also I'm 100% sure I'm getting 2k9 next week at TrU after playing the demo more today. I love the demo and can't wait to play the full game, but my god the next two months are brutal for games coming out.

EDIT: Yeah just saw the list and I want the Blazers...ODEN BABY!

[quote name='FrankySox']Yeah I'm definitely interested but I have a short list of teams I'd be willing to be. Can I just put in the Blazers right now? I'm a huge Lakers fan but I don't want to get flamed for picking them.

Also I'm 100% sure I'm getting 2k9 next week at TrU after playing the demo more today. I love the demo and can't wait to play the full game, but my god the next two months are brutal for games coming out.

EDIT: Yeah just saw the list and I want the Blazers...ODEN BABY![/QUOTE]

You got it!

Awesome. I was hoping you'd still join. Good thing I linked you before Portland was taken!

Immortal, since you are apparently our commish, is it cool if we start next week? I see that I'm not the only one getting the game at the TRU sale, so it seems like it'd be ideal for many of us.

Haha, so I guess the good thing about getting Live is there's still a crap ton of teams to pick from for that league...

[quote name='Matt Young']Awesome. I was hoping you'd still join. Good thing I linked you before Portland was taken!

Immortal, since you are apparently our commish, is it cool if we start next week? I see that I'm not the only one getting the game at the TRU sale, so it seems like it'd be ideal for many of us.[/QUOTE]

Goodfella is actually going to commish, I'm just keeping tabs on the teams. I personally don't have a problem waiting till next week, it seems quite a few are waiting for the TRU sale.

I was actually going to take Portland, but I didn't think I'd be able to stand a chance in the league since I don't know much about basketball and Portland isn't the greatest team.

What's up with Live's mini scoreboard in the demo? Does the full game have an option to make it bigger or are SD TV owners fucked?

Id be up for the league. I'm a Knick fan but they are taken so I guess I am going to just go across the river and take the NJ Nets.

bread's done
Back