Need help figuring out the name of some late 90's PC game

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Either that, or the first step to Skynet is 90s gaming nostalgia.[/QUOTE]

I thought Missile Command held that distinction?

[quote name='BasketCase1080']90s games were amazing... im missing grim fandango :([/QUOTE]
No, no, no... You're supposed to describe the game so we can figure it out.

[quote name='mguiddy']No, no, no... You're supposed to describe the game so we can figure it out.[/QUOTE]

"I played this one game and it was the best game ever."

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I like this thread; I don't think we need a new one. It just amuses me how several people signed up for CAG just to ask something in it, and "our knowledge staff" always deliver, hehe.[/QUOTE]
I agree.
[quote name='judyjudyjudy']My guess on that is the guy signed up to ask about his game, never checked back in the thread, forgot about it, it bugged him again a year later, and he googled and found this site again. Either that, or the first step to Skynet is 90s gaming nostalgia.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

I was actually thinking the same.

Bump!
Looking for a 90's pc game, that if i remember correctly, was a decent clone. The premise of the game was that a virus had infected your computer and it used your directory structure and the images on your hard drive to build the levels of the game. Any thoughts?

[quote name='peteloaf']Bump!
Looking for a 90's pc game, that if i remember correctly, was a decent clone. The premise of the game was that a virus had infected your computer and it used your directory structure and the images on your hard drive to build the levels of the game. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]
I really had to :rofl: considering the game is called Virus:The Game.

I think there's another game that works under this exact premise though. I'm scrambling my brain trying to figure it out.

found this forum by googling late 90's computer game...

There are actually 2 games that I am trying to figure out the names to. The first one was from the late 90's. I remember very little about this game just that i enjoyed it. I seem to recall it being similar to card games like yugioh, magic the gathering, and dot hack; but it was very simple compared to those games. Your people/monsters or whatever they were called fought against other cards. I know this is not a very good description and if somebody can figure it out, I will be shocked and forever in your debt.

the other game was early-mid 2000. All i saw was somebody else playing the demo. The game starts with the intro..based on a true story/events. then u see a giant rat run out in a cape.. theres one scene that makes fun of starwars.. they are at a gate and the guard says we need to see ur papers. one of the guys on your team ends up using the jedi mind trick thing to tell them they are french and they drop their guns and run away. one of the weapons in the game is a shark gun. i wanna say altered something or other is the name.

awesome. armed and dangerous was correct. I was hopeful just by the name chron x, but sadly it wasn't what i was lookin for.

The game didnt really have very many things on the card if i remember right. pretty much just an single number used for an attack value. Sorry again that i couldnt provide more info on the game. its just one that ya play and dont really remember.

I remember a where you control some kind of action figure and go around shooting in some kind of toyland. It's a top-down 2d shooter and is almost cartoon-like. I really have no idea what else the game is about. However, I think it came out before 1999. Any help would be appreciated.

Okay, this is kind of hazy in my mind... but it's cover was of a kid in his bed with a monster under it and the game was about his nightmares?

[quote name='DreadMech']Okay, this is kind of hazy in my mind... but it's cover was of a kid in his bed with a monster under it and the game was about his nightmares?[/QUOTE]
There are only two from the 90's that I remember: Nightmare Ned or Commander Keen: Keen Dreams. Hopefully If you look them up on Mobygames it'll help you find what you're looking for.

[quote name='OldSchool77']There are only two from the 90's that I remember: Nightmare Ned or Commander Keen: Keen Dreams. Hopefully If you look them up on Mobygames it'll help you find what you're looking for.[/QUOTE]

Ha it was Nightmare Ned! Thanks! Just remember seeing it as a kid.

greetings, could you guys help me with this one? I remember a 90's game with real life actors, with a plot a lot like faceoff the movie, you wake up in a hospital with the face of the bad guy, it was a adventure game, and was a passed in the future, but i cant remember is name.
I bought it in the past but i borrowed it to a "friend" and never put my eyes on it again...
Thanks and keep gaming! :)

thats it Angel Devoid!!! thanks you're the best, i'll try to get it in abandonware or something of the kind, thank you very much !!! This game rocks for a oldie!

their was this pc game i played as a kid. You were a teenager and i think their were multiple games. Anyways in the game i remember you woke up in the nite in your bed and saw something out the window and i don't rember much else. it was a platformer from i'd say anywhere from 1990-1995 with different levels and areas. I remember their was this one level that you could blow up the ship you were on and the game would end. other than that i can't remember much else.

Okay, I have completely broken down and am begging you guys for help. After reading this post and seeing so many satisfied customers, I figured that this would be my last bastion of hope before I give up.

I'm looking for a mid 90's space exploration game. It was a 2d top-down view game. You started off in a small ship and could eventually purchase ship upgrades (I think I remember a huge dog-guy at this post, hopefully I'm not confusing this with another game). Eventually you could land on other planets and fight for either control of the planet or something like that. The game world was huge and I think I remember being able to go wherever I wanted.

Some more information that might help:

I'm almost certain that it was NOT any of the Star Control games (although it's similar). It is also not Space Ranger, SpacePort or Starflight

Please help and I apologize for not being more specific. Hey, at least I'm telling you what it's not. Thanks in advance

The only top down 2d space exploration games I remember clearly are the X-Com series for DOS, It would help if you can tell me if it was a DOS or windows 95/98 game. Also who or what were the main enemies and was the game cartoonish or were there realistic movie sequences like in Wing Commander. There were many space games in the 90's but most of the ones that I played were either 2d platformer or 3d action games such as descent.

[quote name='OldSchool77']The only top down 2d space exploration games I remember clearly are the X-Com series for DOS, It would help if you can tell me if it was a DOS or windows 95/98 game. Also who or what were the main enemies and was the game cartoonish or were there realistic movie sequences like in Wing Commander. There were many space games in the 90's but most of the ones that I played were either 2d platformer or 3d action games such as descent.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help. After looking at a couple of pics, I'm pretty sure it wasn't any of the X-Com games either. And I knew someone was going to ask if it was DOS or not! I can't say with 100% certainty, but I think it was DOS. The graphics were almost between Star Control 2 and 3; no "movie sequences"

Can't really provide a lot more information than that. I know that I fought against other alien ships and I don't remember amassing a fleet either; from what I remember it was just one ship. But I don't think I got that far into the game either. I also remember that the title of the game was kind of cliche and corny. Unfortunately, most of the space games around that time were:roll:

Thanks again for your help! Hope this helps anyone out there. Probably not though, I'm sure that it's still too vague.

Kroman81 check out "Solar Winds" on this website:
http://www.dosgames.com/g_spa.php .That link gives descriptions many old space games, here's a screen shot from Solar Winds
952811848-00.gif

There's a couple more space exploration games I can think of, but I don't know if either match your description. First is Master of Orion (and Master of Orion 2). I remember it being comparable to the Star Control games, but I played Star Control and X-com a lot more than MOO or MOO2.

Another more obscure (and terrible one) is Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace. I remember this game having a top-down view for all the onboard ship battles (there were ship vs. ship battles, plus they could board ships and fight with people). Unfortunately, I can't find any screenshots of the ship battles, but you can download it and check it out. It was pretty RPGish looking, IIRC.

The only games I can think of with dog people in space are Star Control 2 and StarFox, lol.

I think I might throw in the towel...

When I saw the pics for Solar Winds, I knew that I had played it before. So I downloaded it and stumbled through DOSBox and fired it up. Although the game was familiar, I don't think this was the one either.

I think that my problem is that I might be confusing multiple games. I do know that the one I was thinking about had some sort of planet exploration feature. I'd swear it was Star Control 2, but that game doesn't look familiar to me.

Like I said, I thought you nailed it, OldSchool, with Solar Winds. Oh well. Let me know if you find something else, but personally, I'm about to quit and play Daggerfall instead.

[quote name='kroman81']I think I might throw in the towel...

When I saw the pics for Solar Winds, I knew that I had played it before. So I downloaded it and stumbled through DOSBox and fired it up. Although the game was familiar, I don't think this was the one either.

I think that my problem is that I might be confusing multiple games. I do know that the one I was thinking about had some sort of planet exploration feature. I'd swear it was Star Control 2, but that game doesn't look familiar to me.

Like I said, I thought you nailed it, OldSchool, with Solar Winds. Oh well. Let me know if you find something else, but personally, I'm about to quit and play Daggerfall instead.[/QUOTE]

There were several Solar Winds games that were released try a different one. If it's not one of them then I'm sorry that I couldn't help, don't give up though someone else may be able to help

i have been wondering about this game but it seems helpless because i can only remember one thing about this game. It was in the late 90's almost 99. It was about a guy (maybe a young guy) that was going through caves and lagoons and the one detail i remember is that some leeches would come and attack him. i think there was also rocks that you had to dodge. Thats ALL i remember lol i remember playing it on a pc

[quote name='meshort88']i have been wondering about this game but it seems helpless because i can only remember one thing about this game. It was in the late 90's almost 99. It was about a guy (maybe a young guy) that was going through caves and lagoons and the one detail i remember is that some leeches would come and attack him. i think there was also rocks that you had to dodge. Thats ALL i remember lol i remember playing it on a pc[/QUOTE]

Out of this World (aka Another World)?

another_world.jpg

another-world-out-of-this-world-lester-pool-monster.JPG

[quote name='fart_bubble']I don't remember Out Of This World ever looking that good[/QUOTE]

There was a fifteenth anniversary edition.

"In 2006 Chahi independently released a 15th Anniversary Edition for Windows which allowed the game to be played on modern computers with original or enhanced visuals."

[quote name='Strell']There was a fifteenth anniversary edition.

"In 2006 Chahi independently released a 15th Anniversary Edition for Windows which allowed the game to be played on modern computers with original or enhanced visuals."[/QUOTE]

ah, pretty good upgraded visuals compared to the late 80's graphics of the original release.

Flashback on the other hand still holds up relatively well in the graphics. Always liked it over Out Of This World (better universe and the gameplay was more involved).

Too bad the Fade To Black game sucked balls.

Wish they would re-release Heart Of Darkness

Hi everyone. I wonder if anyone could help me with recovering the name of this game I played as a kid in the 90s...

It was a point-and-click type of adventure, fantasy, I think, in a pseudo-medieval setting. I remember that in the beginning there was a video of an island and a tree (or trees) was being cut. You couldn't see the but just the tree falling over. Then the main character started out in a hut on the island. At some point he got to a city of sorts. He collected items, I don't remember anything else except there were quite a lot of diamonds and jewels to find. And at some point there was a dark cave with red eyes in the darkness.

I'd be so grateful if someone figured this out... I've been all over the net but there are just too many games to go through...

[quote name='neria']Hi everyone. I wonder if anyone could help me with recovering the name of this game I played as a kid in the 90s...

It was a point-and-click type of adventure, fantasy, I think, in a pseudo-medieval setting. I remember that in the beginning there was a video of an island and a tree (or trees) was being cut. You couldn't see the but just the tree falling over. Then the main character started out in a hut on the island. At some point he got to a city of sorts. He collected items, I don't remember anything else except there were quite a lot of diamonds and jewels to find. And at some point there was a dark cave with red eyes in the darkness.

I'd be so grateful if someone figured this out... I've been all over the net but there are just too many games to go through...[/QUOTE]
Legend of Kyrandia?

Hey wassup everyone! I was wondering if you could help me finding what game this is that im thinkin of

...hopefully its not a reatrded question which i will b made fun but u know wat? i dont care i jus wanna know the name of the title haha!

So i remeber it was like maybe 98, or 99, and it was a strategy game. Apprently, some alien from another dimension came and like stole the baby of the protagonist or somethin. So u have to go collecting items and such in a house (i beleive its the characters house). I destictly remeber having to go into a safe and a cracking a code. Another thign i remeber is that the boss i beelive or the last level u acuatlly go in2 this demnsion via some portal in the babies room and u fight him sorta. Its a first person i think its click and point...im not sure.....i also remeber goin up some tower and getn ma ass handed to from this vulture (tho that doesnt quite coincide wit tha rest of tha story)..maybes its another game...if so id like 2 know the name of it as well!

If aynone could b so kind as 2 giving me the names i'd eternally appreciate it!!!

[quote name='bambucha']Hey wassup everyone! I was wondering if you could help me finding what game this is that im thinkin of

...hopefully its not a reatrded question which i will b made fun but u know wat? i dont care i jus wanna know the name of the title haha!

So i remeber it was like maybe 98, or 99, and it was a strategy game. Apprently, some alien from another dimension came and like stole the baby of the protagonist or somethin. So u have to go collecting items and such in a house (i beleive its the characters house). I destictly remeber having to go into a safe and a cracking a code. Another thign i remeber is that the boss i beelive or the last level u acuatlly go in2 this demnsion via some portal in the babies room and u fight him sorta. Its a first person i think its click and point...im not sure.....i also remeber goin up some tower and getn ma ass handed to from this vulture (tho that doesnt quite coincide wit tha rest of tha story)..maybes its another game...if so id like 2 know the name of it as well!

If aynone could b so kind as 2 giving me the names i'd eternally appreciate it!!![/QUOTE]

Sounds a lot like Lighthouse: The Dark Being. You are probably thinking about the weird bird creature that shows up and steals this baby right at the beginning of the game, and then you teleport onto a beach chasing after it.

OK... I've been trying to come up with this game... can't figure it out.

It's an action adventure, 2d with fake 3d ala arcade like.

I keep thinking it something like MDK, but the character is like that, an assassin, has a gun, does flips, and ALOT of stuff happens on the screen(people/things shooting at you), some of it is mostly a puzzle to open a door or get something.

I played a demo, I think from PC Gamer, but never played the full game. Time would have to have been mid to late 90s.

It isn't a known title that I've yet come across so it must have been a teeny title.

That's all I can come up with.... I didn't play it much but it's been bugging me that I thought it was MDK and it's not.

[quote name='Strell']Hunter Hunted comes to mind, but I don't see the main guy as an assassin or flipping around.

The "2d with fake 3d" is throwing me off. It was a side scroller? No other details?[/QUOTE]

It's 2d in 3d like TMNT arcade or Final Fight. It wasn't just a side scroller.

I remember a midget or small enemy like that would pop out of a can or wall.

Alot of crap happening on screen and you would die in a hit or two. It is pretty gothic or brutal I think, with blood.

Here is my crappy image from memory... it's not as detailed.

picuz.jpg

I'm still actively looking but without a resource to PC Gamer demo discs... I'm stuck.

I think it was between 96-97... I'm positive is was near or around MDK, because I got those two games confused thinkin the one above as being MDK.

[quote name='youbastards']Was it one of the Crusader titles?[/QUOTE]

Good guess but no, it didn't have a viewing angle like that.

It would be nice to find a *pedia for screenshots of games so I can skim through them.

I know though that it was around 96-97 and in PC Gamer demo I think.

Got a PC (windows I think, hopefully not DOS) game from the early/mid 90s that I cant remember.

It played a bit like the Worms series. Except it was with a bunch of small tanks, you could shoot dirt, drive, nukes, missles, etc etc. Pretty much it was really similar to Worms

Now I feel bad for not getting xycury's.

Dcm, yours sounds familiar. There's been tons of variations of Artillery over the years (which I think is what those group of games are called). I'll look around.

Ah yeah like 2 minutes after posting it I wikipediaed Worms and on there was a mention of it.

Ended up being Scorched Earth (1991) and it was a DOS game after all.

Scorched_Earth_gameplay.png

Old school gaming at its finest lol

dude what is the name of this game that is from the 90's, i don't know if it's late or early 90's but ya. it's a space one that's 2d that you progressively keep moving up and you are like in this jet thing. you beat smaller ships and then you face this huge one and it has some pretty emotionally intense music. lol

bread's done
Back