Need help figuring out the name of some late 90's PC game

First of all, I want to thank the CAG regulars for being good sports and fishing out the identities of our nostalgia. You're good people. Let's see if I can contribute.

[quote name='pachponcho']dude what is the name of this game that is from the 90's, i don't know if it's late or early 90's but ya. it's a space one that's 2d that you progressively keep moving up and you are like in this jet thing. you beat smaller ships and then you face this huge one and it has some pretty emotionally intense music. lol[/QUOTE]

Oof. Unfortunately, you've described just about every vertical / bullet hell shooter made. Do you remember anything about what system it was on? Was it in decidedly in space?

Here's a list of names to get you started, but it's going to be hard to narrow down. http://lists.wikidot.com/list:vertical-shooters

[quote name='pachponcho']dude what is the name of this game that is from the 90's, i don't know if it's late or early 90's but ya. it's a space one that's 2d that you progressively keep moving up and you are like in this jet thing. you beat smaller ships and then you face this huge one and it has some pretty emotionally intense music. lol[/QUOTE]

Only guess I have is Tyrian.

tyrian_20006.gif

Kyrandia, Lighthouse, Flashback, Hunter Hunted, this is like a play-by-play of my childhood! I actually found a copy of Lighthouse the other day at the goodwill... still kinda creepy.

I'm still actively looking but without a resource to PC Gamer demo discs... I'm stuck.

I think it was between 96-97... I'm positive is was near or around MDK, because I got those two games confused thinkin the one above as being MDK.

The first game that came to mind was Abuse. A quick search shows that it showed up in PC Gamer issue #28 which puts it around the time frame you're thinking of.

Well since i cant make my own thread for a month i figured maybe since my question is along the lines of figuring a game out...im trying to remember a game for the super nintendo i only remember before you started the game like when they do who its made by and stuff but the intro starts off with a skeleton dinosaur...thats all i remember and it was multiplayer =/ any1 smarter then me and know it?

[quote name='spikes445']Well since i cant make my own thread for a month i figured maybe since my question is along the lines of figuring a game out...im trying to remember a game for the super nintendo i only remember before you started the game like when they do who its made by and stuff but the intro starts off with a skeleton dinosaur...thats all i remember and it was multiplayer =/ any1 smarter then me and know it?[/QUOTE]

The only snes game i remember playing with a skeleton dinosaur and multiplayer is "Joe and Mac"

Some more details will help, do you remember what kind of game it was? The first two games(aside from Joe & Mac) that come to mind are:

-Jurassic Park
-I don't remember the name but there was a game based on that animated movie about dinosaurs coming to life in modern times from the 90s

It really does sound like J&M though

Does anyone remember this 90s pc game? Okay, there were little puzzles and you had to use the objects it gave you to complete the objective. Like, get the person to the other side of the screen, get the balloon to the end of the map, etc. I remember the mascot or whatever was a professor. Some of the objects were balloons, crocodiles, little people, cats, mice on wheels, fans, levitating platforms, mouse holes, pulleys, etc. You would place the objects on the screen, then hit play and see if it works.

I have been searching for this game for ages. Does anyone have any idea what it was called, or at least remember it?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it after looking through a giant list of 90s games. It is The Incredible Machine, in case anyone else was wondering about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew what it was from your description, and ultimately found it. Those games were great fun for a good while. But glad to see you resolved it, cranberry.

I've got one that's been bugging for some time, anyone remember a pc adventure game with a quasi-super hero who has, as far as i can remember, the word "dark" as part of his name/title. It's more realistic than cartoony, but i don't remember if the speech was only in the fmv's or throughout. I think the game started out in his "shop" and he received a package after hours and I think that's where he gets his costume. It's been a long time, forgive me if any of the "details" seem misleading. I hope someone remembers this game, thanks in advance folks

Edit: I just remembered the name of it, Noctropolis

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eastshore4']Kyrandia, Lighthouse, Flashback, Hunter Hunted, this is like a play-by-play of my childhood! I actually found a copy of Lighthouse the other day at the goodwill... still kinda creepy.

The first game that came to mind was Abuse. A quick search shows that it showed up in PC Gamer issue #28 which puts it around the time frame you're thinking of.[/QUOTE]

ah so close, but it was more like isometric view, like Arcade turtles or Xmen... it wasn't a straight 2d Platformer.

Hey everyone, I'm new here and am dying to find the name of an old computer game.

It was a space shooter and was a top down view. You could customize your ship like crazy, you could change the engines and shields and everything on the ship and even buy new ships. There was also a different mode to where you could play like an arcade mode and could not worry about buying and customizing. I do believe in the game you could fly a carrot. I know the game's name started with an R, and it wasn't Raiden X.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Man, Tyrian was like... the best shmup ever back in the day. Or at least, the best one you could play at home. Still pretty fun, too.

Yes!! Tyrian is the game! I loved playing that, I remember my grandpa had it on his computer and then it disappeared and I've been looking for it ever since. Awesome, thank you guys so much!

also new trying to find an old game...

There was a game sometime from 1998 to 2000 i think where you went against another opponent(computer) in a map where you tried to destroy there base. It was an overhead view and the team colors were red and blue(good graphics too). I am not sure which color was the computer or player. Your army were a bunch of futuristic hovercraft type tanks and i believe some flying machines as well. I know there were smaller vehicles and larger ones to create by i think capturing zones on the map. I had it on a demo disc and always wanted to get this game. Any help would be greatly appreciated since i’ve been searching non-stop for like a month on the internet… ahhhh… thanks

I am trying to remember a game I'm thinking is early 90's. We had it on our packard bell. It was a room escape type game where you had to piece things together to move to the next room. It was renaissance era. I don't remember too many details except that you start in a wooden room, a barn or a blacksmith I think. ANd there is one level where you have to put lichen into a stone fountain that looks like a face to make the water run through it as part of the puzzle. I wish I had a better description or at least part of the title.

hey guys u really seemed to be helping alot of ppl finding out the names of games they used to play.

ok well i played one on an older pc not sure if it was 90s or 2000s but in the game you were a kid and you had some sort of a raygun and you had to fight shadows and snakes and things.

please help this has been bugging me forever.

[quote name='Skilj44']hey guys u really seemed to be helping alot of ppl finding out the names of games they used to play.

ok well i played one on an older pc not sure if it was 90s or 2000s but in the game you were a kid and you had some sort of a raygun and you had to fight shadows and snakes and things.

please help this has been bugging me forever.[/QUOTE]

Heart of Darkness on the PC/PS1

heartofdarkness_screen003.jpg

[quote name='TheLady']I am trying to remember a game I'm thinking is early 90's. We had it on our packard bell. It was a room escape type game where you had to piece things together to move to the next room. It was renaissance era. I don't remember too many details except that you start in a wooden room, a barn or a blacksmith I think. ANd there is one level where you have to put lichen into a stone fountain that looks like a face to make the water run through it as part of the puzzle. I wish I had a better description or at least part of the title.[/QUOTE]

This *might* be Dragon Lore: The Legend Begins, but I wanted to find a walkthru to confirm this by searching for the word "lichen," but couldn't do so.

[quote name='blitzkrieg10']also new trying to find an old game...

There was a game sometime from 1998 to 2000 i think where you went against another opponent(computer) in a map where you tried to destroy there base. It was an overhead view and the team colors were red and blue(good graphics too). I am not sure which color was the computer or player. Your army were a bunch of futuristic hovercraft type tanks and i believe some flying machines as well. I know there were smaller vehicles and larger ones to create by i think capturing zones on the map. I had it on a demo disc and always wanted to get this game. Any help would be greatly appreciated since i’ve been searching non-stop for like a month on the internet… ahhhh… thanks[/QUOTE]

Herzog Zwei on the Genesis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EO53h7nWEU

[quote name='Strell']Herzog Zwei on the Genesis?[/QUOTE]
Someone else suggested that in the thread that guy made. There's some more hints there as well.

The bummer thing is, I had a ton of demo disks from the time when Return to Krondor came out, but tossed them all earlier this year.:lol:

I need help figuring out the name of a PC game from the late 90's to very early 2000's.

I dont know very much but here is what i do remember.
Could be considered a Fantasy/Fiction game (maybe Adventure)

It looked like it took place mostly in like an enchanted forest it was very pretty graphics. I dont really remember what the main character looked like maybe brown hair green outfit. Pretty sure there was a talking tree, and at some point in the game i know for sure u had to catch a water droplet. I remember poison apples, and dying from a ton of snakes throughout the entire game. Im pretty sure there was a wizard at some point. You basically ran around the forest the entire game.

My sister and i have been trying to remember the name of the game for a couple of yrs it was a great game. If we remember anymore details i will def. post it. If you can help it would def. make my day, but i would also totally understand if nobody knows what the heck im talking about lol. :bouncy:

So I stumbled upon this forum by searching google for a 90s PC game that I've been trying so long to figure out the name of. I guess it turns out there's a lot of people trying to do this very same thing ha. Funny thing though, I did a bit of searching and actually figured out what it was on my own.
The only thing I could remember was it was a 3rd person shooter/platformer and there was a part in a space ship where the mirrors in the bathroom said "Your reflection currently not available -Management". Just in case anybody else may have been looking for this game it was MDK 2.

I'm having difficulty remembering a PC space game I played in the early 90's.

The game begins with the disappearance of the Earth. A couple of guys and gals on the Moon have to then travel the galaxies to discover the reason behind the occurrence.

It's a combination of turn-based and real-time elements.

It's turn-based when the adventurers are on the surface of an alien planet, where they uncover clues and fight hostiles.

When fighting alien crafts in space, the game switches to real-time. Trading equips the Earthlings' craft with more powerful weapons and tech.

Any help is appreciated. My guess is that it wasn't a popular game since extensive Google searches on my part failed to turn up any answers.

I'm quite sure there's "Earth" in the game title. I tried "PC Game Mission Earth" in Google but nothing promising turned up.

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='Jack']Just a wild guess, but was it Millennium: Return to Earth?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick reply, but no, that's not the game.

The game I'm looking for does not have human colonization of other worlds. There's only a group of four humans (if I recall correctly) who're on a galactic quest for clues to the disappearance of the Earth.

[quote name='dafoomie']Sounds like an interesting game. I'm assuming it was for DOS? Was it on floppies? Was it a boxed retail release?[/QUOTE]

I played it in the early nineties so yes, i believe it was a boxed retail release DOS game on floppies.

[quote name='dafoomie']I think the game you're looking for is Planets Edge.

YES IT IS!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

Obviously I was wrong in thinking that there was Earth in the title.

I am trying to find an old sci-fi pc game from the 90's. It's a 3rd person style adventure game with a 45 degree angle overhead, similar to Starcraft's view, just twice as close.

Its set in either a high tech factory/prison setting or on a space station. The main character is wearing a full body armor suit and helmet, all red and black.

One of the weapons I remember is a Spider bomb that you control and use to destroy lasers and so forth.

I wish I knew more, but that is really all I can remember of the game. It came on cd format.

[quote name='mguiddy']Crusader. No Regret or No Remorse.[/QUOTE]

Those are the ones. Awesome! Thank you.

In the game I'm looking for you were a kid playing in your nightmare and I think you had to fight some demon or monster in the end.

I only played the shareware but the part I remember is that there was a place called Boff's Garage and for some reason there was a tub of vaseline there. Boff was some blonde dude wearing a white shirt and blue jeans acting all surly. It's a longshot but any ideas?

Sounds like Dare to Dream, I think I bought a copy at Staples in the early 90s. Cliffy B actually made that game when he was in high school.

There isn't a Boff's Garage but there is a Bouf's Bar and Auto Repair.

daretodream.png

As a point and click adventure it wasn't all that great, as a Windows 3.1 game it was far inferior to what was around for DOS at the time. Even if its not a great game, for an 18 year old kid to get a game commercially released, its pretty impressive.

Wow, that's it! Thanks! Even with my messed up description you got it in one.

This will bring back some memories.

Heh, looks like all the internet has found this site as a last resort for tracking down their 90's gaming memories ^_^ Well here I am straight from endless googling - So, the game I am looking for had you in charge of a guy whom you navigated from an overhead view.You used guns against enemies but the game also had quite some adventure or if you prefer rpg influences (inventory with items for progression, keys etc.).I remember that the game started with your plane crushing into a desert and you surviving while trying to figure out what to do...the only other thing I remember is that at one point not much in the game you were fighting a mermaid and some pirate ghosts, :S confused description I know...I played the game at '98/99 so it must have been released somewhere between 95-98...Well that's all I can give you for sure, thanks in advance for answers and for helping people generally with this stuff, really great effort *thumbs up* :D

Hi, i'am from Holland and i'm searching for ages to a game that i think is called Realms. I think it came out in 1998.

It's a strategic game and there were three teams i thought. One team was with knights and archer's etc. You could built different buildings to get archer's and knights.

One of the other teams had creepy creatures. One i remember, it was the first level, had a axe. That's all i remember.

Besides this game, i have another one i can't find. It's an adventure game, a bit like cartoon, with a cat (he stand's right up like human's). And he wears clothes like Napoleon/that time. He also wears a hat. The color of the clothes/hat are blue i thought.

I hope someone know's these two games or at least one of them.

Yes thank you!

The picture with the cat look's creepy though.

Do you know where you can download this game for free? I hope it is free.

No idea, I've never played it, I just remembered the cat with the pirate hat.

I'm sure it's out there somewhere, everything is.

The knights/archers game sounds like something out of the Lords of the Realm series. The first two were strictly "realistic" in that you built/recruited knights and archers and stuff. There was also a Lords of Magic spinoff where you had fantasy creatures and wizards and so forth.

It's in the right direction, but still not the game i'm looking for.

Lords of Magic looks like it, but buildings and people are far smaller in the game i'm looking for than in this game.

I remember the archers, when you click on them, they had an high voice.
The building they came out looks like this:
__
| |, the left and right border are white, and at the top is was red.

The building for the knight's i think was a small castle with four tower's and the four tower's connect to each other with a wall.

need to know the name of a scary game I heard there was this one game. I think its PC? But not sure..It was buzzing around the internet recently I think. But everybody was saying it was the scariest game ever.anybody remember what it was called?

bread's done
Back