Netflix Streaming Thread 2.0

[quote name='gbpackers94']Well if you think about:
Let's say you can rent and watch 8 movies per month from netflix. $8
If you rented 8 movies from redbox it would still cost $8.
At blockbuster it costs like $8 for one rental.
If you realize that netflix has the best selection that the price increase is actually justified.
That being said they should have atleast given current members some kind of deal like $15 a month instead of $18.[/QUOTE]

What are you smoking... Blockbuster rentals are $2.99 for new release, $1.99 for somewhat new, and $0.99 for everything else (including Blurays). On Sunday's any movie $1.99 or lower is $0.49 and then they have the 11am-3pm matinee deal too during the week.

Blockbuster has a mail in program like Netflix, unlimited movies, games, tv shows, Blurays, 5 in store exchanges and unlimited exchanges for discounted movies/games. $11.99.

I still don't think it's justifiable to jack up the prices. I use both services and enjoy it. The main reason I enjoyed it is because it was cheap. While 16 is still not that bad I don't see myself partaking in netflix anytime after september.

[quote name='elessar123']What does your computer have? I've been hooking up computers to tvs for 13+ years, so no way it's too old.

You can get adaptors for s-video to component, s-video to composite, vga to dvi, vga to hdmi (horrible choice, but doable), dvi to hdmi...

360 can also stream Amazon videos downloaded to your pc.[/QUOTE]

It's a business focused Thinkpad, so it only has the regular VGA out as the only video port.--and the TV (A Sony Wega e-2000 series LDC RPTV) doesn't have a VGA port. Just HDMI, component, s-video and composite.

And as you note, it's not worth bothering with converters as the quality takes such a hit on an HDTV.

Especially since I seldom stream anything anyway, so it's moot for me. I was just playing Devil's advocate and stating that most people don't want to bother with hooking up PCs to the TV and a big reason why Netflix is so dominating streaming video is because they have their app in so many devices people already have hooked up to the TV.

You people are seriously putting the blame on the wrong people though. Licensing for just streaming Paramount, Lionsgate, MGM, and Miramax is going to cost Netflix $300 mil a year. Last year, their entire streaming license fee was less than $200 mil. Add to that, Disney wants like another $50 mil a year, and ALL the other studios (Time Warner, Universal, Sony, Paramount, Fox, NBC, WB, etc), they'd lose half their profits even if they dropped all but the first for I mentioned, and had the same net number of subscribers.

tl;dr: Blame the studios.

[quote name='elessar123']You people are seriously putting the blame on the wrong people though. Licensing for just streaming Paramount, Lionsgate, MGM, and Miramax is going to cost Netflix $300 mil a year. Last year, their entire streaming license fee was less than $200 mil. Add to that, Disney wants like another $50 mil a year, and ALL the other studios (Time Warner, Universal, Sony, Paramount, Fox, NBC, WB, etc), they'd lose half their profits even if they dropped all but the first for I mentioned, and had the same net number of subscribers.

tl;dr: Blame the studios.[/QUOTE]

I agree they're to blame. And that's why I'm just going down to disc only rather than canceling Netflix.

But I do think it's too big an increase in price all at once from them. And I think they'd have been less likely to do it if they had any real competition in streaming rentals. Stuff like Amazon etc. is too small yet and doesn't have apps pre-loaded in enough hardware to make a dent, Blockbuster is fading and on-demand movies are too expensive to compete.

So that gives the studios and Netflix freer reign to jack up costs on both ends.

By decoupling the streaming plan from DVDs, they will be able to increase the price of streaming only plans even more as their costs go up without losing their mail only customers. I bet this is just the first step in hiking the price of the streaming subscription.

[quote name='Scorch']Hulu Plus is $7.99 a month and their selection of TV shows destroys Netflix.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it's a great service for TV lovers.

Unfortunately, I've never been much into TV shows so I mainly used the Netflix streaming for older movies, documentaries and indie/foreign films as they had a great selection of that stuff. Just not worth the extra money to me though since I mainly stick to recent hollywood releases these days. Maybe I'll pick it back up if I get more free time (i.e. stop gaming as much etc.) for movies and get a desire to watch more of that kind of stuff again.

[quote name='caltab']By decoupling the streaming plan from DVDs, they will be able to increase the price of streaming only plans even more as their costs go up without losing their mail only customers. I bet this is just the first step in hiking the price of the streaming subscription.[/QUOTE]

I do as well. $7.99 for unlimited streaming is probably too cheap given their licensing costs cited above. So I bet in 6 months or so we'll see that jacked up again. Probably to $9.99 to start with.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, it's still a good deal for heavy users. Myself I'm more in the 4-6 movies watched a month pace across discs and streaming so it's not worth $16 plus tax for me IMO. But, as I said above, I'm mostly ok with just dropping streaming and paying $10+ tax and watching 4-6 discs a month since I'm not willing to hassle with Redbox.[/QUOTE]

Blockbuster has dropped all catalog titles to $.99 per day. I think they are still charging more for new releases but most people don't get those day 1 from netflix anyway. Just run over to redbox for new releases, blockbuster for older stuff and netflix for streaming the rest.

Still should be a break for those that keep the streaming/dvd bundle. We will probably drop the dvd. Wonder what the USPS will think of a mass Netflix dvd dropped plans is?

I wonder if Netflix would consider offering staggered streaming subs based on the number of devices you're allowed to stream to simultaneously, similar to how it's currently handled:

Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix-ready device. If you are on the Watch Instantly Unlimited plan or the 1-disc-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch only one device at a time. If you are on the 2-discs-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at a time. Members on the 3-disc plan can watch on up to three devices. The maximum is four devices -- available for members on the 4-or-greater-discs-out-at-a-time plan. Your account can have up to six unique authorized devices activated (and associated with it) at any given time, including personal computers and Netflix-ready devices. For example, if you're on the 1-disc plan, you can have up to six devices associated with your account, but you can only watch one of them at a time. If you're on the 2-disc plan, you can have up to six devices activated but can only watch two of them at the same time.

[quote name='kklems']Blockbuster has dropped all catalog titles to $.99 per day. I think they are still charging more for new releases but most people don't get those day 1 from netflix anyway. Just run over to redbox for new releases, blockbuster for older stuff and netflix for streaming the rest.[/QUOTE]

The only Blockbuster near me went out of business.

Like I said, I'm fine just going with the $9.99 a month 1 disc at a time only with Blu-ray plan.

I'd seldom rent if I had to hassle with due dates at a store or Redbox, so I don't mind if I don't always get my $10 worth during a busy month where I don't rent much as the overall convenience is worth the price for me.

Yeah, I will probably drop the dvd and just rent it from blockbuster for a day or so....I stream heavily and the dvd usually sits on my shelf for up to 3 months before I actually watch it.

[quote name='lordopus99']Netflix: 9.99 1 Out (missing majority of new releases)
Blockbuster: 11.99 1 Out (has all new releases + 3 month old games)[/QUOTE]

Only issue is I've read on other forums that Blockbuster online is still lacking in older movies on Blu, and things like documentaries, indie films and foreign films compared to Netflix.

Game rentals are moot for me as I barely find time to finish the few games I buy a year these days.

But good deal if you don't care about those types of films and would rent games. Even better deal if you still have a BB in business near you so you can do the instore swaps and get more movies as caltab noted.

Last edited by a moderator:

plus 5 in store exchanges if you have one near by...that can make it so you get more rentals per month by saving a ton of days that would be lost to shipping. Assuming you have a blockbuster near by, I think they are now a better deal then netflix- especially if you like getting new releases. Also, I dont think they charge extra for blus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damn. It's as if they waited for BB to go bankrupt before jacking up the price. :/

[quote name='camoor']Damn. It's as if they waited for BB to go bankrupt before jacking up the price. :/[/QUOTE]

Blockbuster is now owned by Dish, I think the existing stores have a new shot to survive. Also, I don't think the mail service will be going any where.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I wonder if Netflix would consider offering staggered streaming subs based on the number of devices you're allowed to stream to simultaneously, similar to how it's currently handled:[/QUOTE]

That's bullshit. Three devices at once have been streaming in my house, and my plan doesn't even include DVDs.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']That's bullshit. Three devices at once have been streaming in my house, and my plan doesn't even include DVDs.[/QUOTE]

It's been a policy for a while, but people have said it's glitchy on whether they catch it or not. But I have seen a "busy" message come up once or twice in the past when I was still sharing my streaming with a friend and I couldn't watch something because they must have been using it. It's bee a couple months so I don't recall exactly what the message says.

Wow, checked in on this thread since I just now read my email about price changes. Seems like thread has changed from movie suggestions to everyone defending or opposing Netflix choices.

Well unfortunately I will be dropping Netflix, with free monday Redbox rentals and the fact I usually only go through 1-6 DVD's a month anyways it makes the most logical sense. Plus I have already been annoyed with the long waits on Most of the movies that I want to watch.

I was just getting use to the streaming on my Droid but I guess I just need to finish up those series of X-Men and Spiderman before I cancel it.

Congrats Redbox for your best day ever!

Damn, it'd save me a chunk of money to switch to just BB, but the Blockbuster 7 blocks from me closed, and Redbox isn't convenient, so I'll stick with Netflix, which is what they want, I suppose.

I watch at least 3 blu-rays a month, plus a bunch of streaming TV shows and movies, so either way Netflix is cheaper than buying (or renting) BR discs. I'll switch when another cheap option comes around (from Netflix or Amazon or BB or anyone else).

Sadly, 98% of Netflix subscribers will stay with the service without checking to see if there's something cheaper available for them.

Redbox for new release discs and keep streaming would be a good idea if all you watch on physical discs is new releases.

[quote name='Rocko']Redbox for new release discs and keep streaming would be a good idea if all you watch on physical discs is new releases.[/QUOTE]

Price wise yes. Convenience wise no since you have to hassle with getting it back by the due date. Not a big deal if there's one right next to your home or work (or directly on the drive to and from work), but a pain otherwise as it's just another errand added to the day.

[quote name='caltab']Blockbuster is now owned by Dish, I think the existing stores have a new shot to survive. Also, I don't think the mail service will be going any where.[/QUOTE]

That's great but my local store is dead and I'm sure there are others in this thread who are in the same position.

I was being a little sarcastic - guess I should have added a winking smiley to my post.

this it outrageous it's not even worth getting the only instant que they don't got hardly anything ive even hard of on thier or it's all b movies

as long as the streaming stays at 7.99 to 9.99 its worth it to me. i just started my free trial this month and ill definelty sub when its done. theyve got a good selection of foreign films as well and the classic horror is a bonus.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Price wise yes. Convenience wise no since you have to hassle with getting it back by the due date. Not a big deal if there's one right next to your home or work (or directly on the drive to and from work), but a pain otherwise as it's just another errand added to the day.[/QUOTE]

Luckily I've got plenty by me so I'll be going the streaming NFLX, Redbox for DVDs route. I understand the content acquisition costs, but damn if that's not a hell of a hike in price. I suppose it had to happen sooner or later.

I'm on the $9.99 DVD/streaming plan and will probably dump the DVD or the service altogether in September. I rarely use the DVD (typically the random movie that my girlfriend watches) and only stream every now and then. With Uverse giving us free Showtime for a year and the Internet having everything else, it's pointless for me to pay $16 for what I rarely use now.

For anyone with Hulu Plus, how is their movie selection?

[quote name='dmaul1114']Some important info, the change doesn't go into affect until your bill on or after September 1st.

So don't change it now as you can't get your old price back if you do. Might as well enjoy the streaming at the current price through August![/QUOTE]

Here's my thing on the price hike...I'm currently on a 3 month netflix giftcard I bought from best buy...the email says they won't begin to charge me the new rate until that expires...so I'm thinking of buying about a years worth of giftcards and adding them to my account. I believe it would work as with the $1 price hike I had a gift card on my account and I was fine for 2 months post the date the price hike hit...thoughts? possible loop hole to avoid an extra $6 a month? :)

[quote name='pitfallharry219']That's bullshit. Three devices at once have been streaming in my house, and my plan doesn't even include DVDs.[/QUOTE]
That's for DVD-based plans, as their FAQs are out of date from what I can tell. If they want to make the most money off of streaming, going after those that stream from several devices would get most of the high mileage users. First, they'd have to allow managing of devices connected to your account since all they have right now is adding to your list and deleting everything. You can't even see what's attached to your account, so they have to upgrade their site before thinking about doing that.

[quote name='keithp']Luckily I've got plenty by me so I'll be going the streaming NFLX, Redbox for DVDs route. I understand the content acquisition costs, but damn if that's not a hell of a hike in price. I suppose it had to happen sooner or later.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it stinks. I'd be really pissed if I used the streaming a ton like I did when it first started. I can live without it now so it's not a biggie as I can just drop streaming and actually save $2 from what I'm paying currently.

For me there are lots of Redbox's around the city, just none on my 3 mile drive to work as all the grocery stores/strip malls where they tend to be at are more on the edges of the city where as I live in midtown and work downtown.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's for DVD-based plans, as their FAQs are out of date from what I can tell. [/QUOTE]

What you quoted said both Streaming Only and 1 DVD at a time were limited to one devices.

But it may well just be outdated. Maybe with this split (those plans are effective immediately for new members) the dropped the restriction. Or it's just glitchy in catching when people are streaming simultaneously on the same account.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's for DVD-based plans, as their FAQs are out of date from what I can tell. If they want to make the most money off of streaming, going after those that stream from several devices would get most of the high mileage users. First, they'd have to allow managing of devices connected to your account since all they have right now is adding to your list and deleting everything. You can't even see what's attached to your account, so they have to upgrade their site before thinking about doing that.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that it has been changed lately because you could previously see what devices had been activated and you could deactivate a single one if you wanted. If they want people to pay higher prices, then they seriously need to revamp their website and queue management.

Not sure what I'm going to do. I haven't done much streaming, but I was planning on knocking a bunch of things off my queue by doing a lot of streaming. Guess I'm gonna have to do that in August and then reevaluate.

After looking at the numbers, it seems as if my monthly bill (1 Blu-Ray+streaming) w/ tax will go from $12.77 to $19.15! That's damn near 7 dollars. It's a pill that's too big to swallow, since a $13 bill doesn't seem bad while a $20 bill seems like a punch to the gut.

I'm either going to switch to the one blu-ray/dvd a month plan or cancel all together. As streaming only just doesn't have enough to offer at the moment.

The only hope now is that all of the internet rage floating about makes them reconsider this decision and maybe offer a bundle deal of some kind. If they can get it down to $15 a month w/ tax then I wouldn't mind too much. Don't know if this will happen, though.

looks like my netflix bill will be lowering. I was debating dropping the dvd + blu already, since I rarely use it. Most of my activity is older TV shows on there. Once i run out of stuff, i might have to check out Hulu Plus.

I understand that Netflix is going to need more money to pay for all the licenses it has , but it probably would've worked better if the price increase was steady over a longer period of time rather than such a large chunk all at once.

I've been thinking about switching to a streaming only plan for a while now since I tend to neglect the disk movies I get although I haven't been watching as much streaming stuff as I could/should either. Then I noticed that the addition of the disk only plan and thought that maybe that would be a better option since that way I could get new(er) releases from netflix and stream other stuff from Amazon/Hulu/other sites , but then to get minimal value out of the subscription I would have to rent at least 8 movies a month which might be difficult for me to do consistently. So now I think I'll end up going streaming only anyway and try to actually start utilizing it more , and get my disk releases from the local Blockbuster Express. If Hulu (regular or plus) or Amazon were to really start offering more shows I might consider dropping Netflix completely.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']The only hope now is that all of the internet rage floating about makes them reconsider this decision and maybe offer a bundle deal of some kind. If they can get it down to $15 a month w/ tax then I wouldn't mind too much. Don't know if this will happen, though.[/QUOTE]

My cable company randomly decides to raise fees 5 bucks every few months but they're still in business. Basically, I don't think the general public is going to react like the internet community. I'm not saying that's a good thing, just saying is all.

For me, who knows...I am planning on testing the streaming service tomorrow...since streaming to Puerto Rico just began a couple of weeks ago.If it goes well, I may end up paying the streaming monthly plan.And my illegal downloads would definitely start to go down...since my streaming would end up taking part of my bandwidth ...not that I may quit all for just netflix...since they dont have everything, but its a good alternative to go besides my montly dishnetwork bill.

Well, it looks like I have until late September to catch up on the new release titles. After that, I'll be downgrading to Instant Streaming only. Then I'll just go the Redbox/ Blockbuster route for whatever isn't on Instant Streaming and new releases. In my opinion, it's still a great deal for the Instant Streaming especially since we have 4 devices activated.

You people need to realize that the pricing you've been paying for Netflix streaming so far has been an "early adopter in a brand new market" price. The license holders, until now, have mostly treated Netflix like a cute novelty and a way to make a few extra bucks - charging very little for license fees.

Today is a different game. Reports are all over that the studios are now pissed. They see how much netflix is taking and they want a cut. They see that streaming is where everything is headed and they are now hedging their bets.

It's estimated that Netflix's licensing costs will increase 10x over the next year.
Should they just eat that and keep the same pricing? What business does that?

The honeymoon is over. Streaming will slowly increase in cost closer to the cost of cable over the next decade (offering closer to the same product). That's a fact we need to just get use to.

I wager that the increase in disc plans is subsidizing the streaming licensing increases.

[quote name='thrustbucket']
I wager that the increase in disc plans is subsidizing the streaming licensing increases.[/QUOTE]

It obviously is. It will be interesting to see what happens when the dust settles. I, like many others, are leaving the service all together. I have been with them on and off since they started. Those that aren't leaving, a good majority looks to be dropping one part of the service so are they really getting what they want? Doesn't appear like it.

I read a NY Times article on this and a nice little note for those planning to stay...
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/t...s-price-of-dvd-and-online-movies-package.html
"Mr. Amel said further changes to Netflix’s monthly prices should be expected in the next couple of years as the company’s growth rate slows and as it pays hundreds of millions of dollars more to license streams of movies and TV shows."
Pretty standard; basic economics. Less demand = higher prices.

"Last month, in a reminder that Netflix is vulnerable to decisions made by Hollywood studios, more than 200 films from Sony Pictures were pulled from the streaming service because of what Netflix called a “temporary contract issue” with Starz, a partner of Sony. The issue has not yet been resolved."
Sony isn't the first and won't be the last to do this. These types of things beyond a lackluster selection have made it easier to drop streaming.

bread's done
Back