New 3DS and New 3DSXL - New 3DSXL coming to North America Feb 13th, $199.99, no AC adapter

So some people at TGS are saying the so called 2nd stick controls like that fucked up track mouse garbage the some laptop have in the center of the KB, seriously Nintendo?
Not sure why they didn't put a full-sized analog nub on the right side, instead of that little "pencil-eraser" nub, they certainly could have fit one by moving things around. It seems like Nintendo always does the bare minimum when it comes to gaming hardware, they set the bar pretty low.

However, this could be deliberate; they might release a newer model later, with a true full-sized nub, to get even more people to buy the handheld again.

In the long run it probably doesn't matter, since very few games will take advantage of the second analog. Shame they didn't include two analog nubs on Day 1, it certainly was a huge mistake.

So some people at TGS are saying the so called 2nd stick controls like that fucked up track mouse garbage the some laptop have in the center of the KB, seriously Nintendo?

Not sure why they didn't put a full-sized analog nub on the right side, instead of that little "pencil-eraser" nub, they certainly could have fit one by moving things around. It seems like Nintendo always does the bare minimum when it comes to gaming hardware, they set the bar pretty low.

However, this could be deliberate; they might release a newer model later, with a true full-sized nub, to get even more people to buy the handheld again.

In the long run it probably doesn't matter, since very few games will take advantage of the second analog. Shame they didn't include two analog nubs on Day 1, it certainly was a huge mistake.
You guys are such doomsayers. There are also people at TGS, including IGN, talking about how fantastic the nub is, how much they like it, and how they can't keep their hands off it.

I don't think it was a mistake to not include one. It's not like the first-person shooter market is located on the 3DS. The nub seems mostly designed for camera control, and frankly, I never found it necessary in 3D games on the 3DS. The only benefit I could see would be in games that used the circle pad pro. I don't think the nub is intended to be the primary feature of the new 3DS, but who knows. People seem to like it anyway.

Eh. It's been pointed out repeatedly that Nintendo has been doing this with their handhelds for 25 years. If anything, Apple took Nintendo's incremental upgrade strategy and cranked it up to an absurd degree. For real though:

GB
GB POCKET
GB Color

GBA
GBA SP
GBASP +
GBA Micro

DS
DSLite
DSi
DSiXL

3DS
3DSXL
New 3DS

See a pattern?
But GameBoy Pocket and Gameboy all played the same games. To me the Color was a new system, and was advertised almost as such. Same with the GBAs, they are all the system system, all the games play on all the systems besides about 2-3.

I didn't have a DS so I don't know how different they were. But adding a second joystick and two more shoulder buttons seems to be a big deal to me and changes thing completely.

The 3DS, XL and 2DS all are the system system with the same buttons and the same games and experiences. Now we will have games (maybe) that will only be played on the new system. In that case just make a new system.

Well the DSi has more in common with the New 3DS. It added the eShop and an actual GUI menu for digital games.

Since the GBC had identical buttons and played old games, I lump it in with the GB family.

Regardless, Nintendo set their own precedent here. Technology advances and becomes obsolete much, much faster than it used to. Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly defending the practice, I think it's very annoying, but it is not the least bit surprising, which is my main point to people who are moaning about it.

Regardless, Nintendo set their own precedent here. Technology advances and becomes obsolete much, much faster than it used to. Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly defending the practice, I think it's very annoying, but it is not the least bit surprising, which is my main point to people who are moaning about it.
There is a new iPhone every year, so I don't see the real problem. Yeah it sucks, but at the same time technology evolves fast, companies just can't stay with the same technology forever anymore.

Although that does not excuse that Australia gets it in 2014 and we don't. Just for the fact I want a XL badly to play Smash Bros because the regular 3DS screen is too small for that game for me, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will eventually buy one of these when they come stateside.
I will probably give one of my family members my old 3DS

According to today's direct, it looks like North America is only getting the New XL at launch; February 13th, $199. It'll be available in four colors, Red and Black being the standard, with Limited Edition New XLs for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (at Gamestop) and Majora's Mask.

Oh, and like Europe and Japan, there won't be an AC adapter in the box, so you'd better have an old DSi/DSiXL/3DS/3DSXL AC adapter lying around, or be prepared to buy a new one.

You're kidding me.  No regular size, and to add insult to injury, the only colors are red and blue?

I definitely want this system and want to support it, as my comments above will show, but I do not want red or blue and don't particularly want the large version.  And if I buy one of these now, then I'd be annoyed if they did release the smaller version, or if they at least released a color I don't HATE.  What's wrong with black and white?  Why red and blue?  They look like toys.

Seriously so annoyed!

There's also a gold Majora's Mask one and a silver Monster Hunter one. The reason why they're probably holding back on the smaller one is to clear old stock.

I have a 3DS XL and will hold off for the time being since I don't use the one I have all that much.

I think I'd consider a classic Zelda one but not a Majora's Mask one.  I also worry I'd get bored with the designs.  I'd rather just have a nice, plain white one, even pale pink which is what I wish I'd gotten instead of black for my current XL.  Definitely don't want a Monster Hunter one.

I really want one, use my current one a lot, and I could put up with red, I guess, and even deal with the annoyance of them inevitably coming out with more colors, but if they're going to release the regular one...

I'm really disappointed on no release of the regular size New 3DS.  I was looking forward to transitioning to a smaller system after having an XL for the last few years.  I was all set to get a regular size one at launch, now I'm fairly certain I'll just skip it until, and unless, they release the regular size model.  Why is NA the only region not receiving the regular size?

I'm really disappointed on no release of the regular size New 3DS. I was looking forward to transitioning to a smaller system after having an XL for the last few years. I was all set to get a regular size one at launch, now I'm fairly certain I'll just skip it until, and unless, they release the regular size model. Why is NA the only region not receiving the regular size?
I'm just disappointed but even more so because I really want this! Might end up getting it anyway and getting burned when they release the small white Super Famicom version. But if they never release it here... (Europe had the colored Super NES buttons like Japan, so that's probably one reason they released that there.)

I think basically they don't trust US consumers to differentiate between products. They already had the 2DS here (and not in any other region, right? or does Europe have it?), have dropped the 3DS. So now instead of 2DS and 3DS XL, they'll have 2DS and New 3DS XL. Already confusing, but if you add in two sizes, and if they'd kept the old 3DS, done more colors...

Confusion, shelf-space, razor thin profit margins, fear of why the Wii U didn't sell (they think it was brand confusion with the Wii, which it might have been)...

Only speculation, of course. It makes sense, but it still sucks for me personally, and I'm really annoyed. Not sure if I should buy it and be happy with it or wait for the small white one that might never come.

I'm really disappointed on no release of the regular size New 3DS. I was looking forward to transitioning to a smaller system after having an XL for the last few years. I was all set to get a regular size one at launch, now I'm fairly certain I'll just skip it until, and unless, they release the regular size model. Why is NA the only region not receiving the regular size?
The current trend in America is bigger is better. Nintendo probably assumed we wouldn't care about the regular model of the New 3DS, since the XL and 2DS released, the standard model 3DS has been harder to find new and doesn't seem to sell very well. I personally want the XL because the larger screen is a deal breaker for me, but the custom shells for the smaller unit are pretty cool.

I bought this one. I have no idea if it's any good. We'll see after the N3DSXL comes out if the charger will hold up.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJTA87A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Well done using Amazon Smile!

That is either an official Nintendo charger or, much less likely, a fake masquerading as an official charger. It is almost certainly official, so it almost certainly will hold up as well as anything they would have included.

Ordered the Monster Hunter 4 edition from Gamestop. Last handheld i had from Nintendo was a DS lite so this should be fun. I feel the lack of a charger to be lame in my case but i can see some of their reasoning behind it.

I have a question for my fellow CAGs here. I am selling my XL today after work for $100 to put towards the New 3DS I pre-ordered the other day. Will I lose all my data or will I be able to back it up to the SD Card? I don't want to be unable to download all the games I have, I'll be very upset if I lose all my downloads. Save data isn't a big deal to me because the only game I have a ton of progress in that I don't care to play through again is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, but when 4 comes out I won't play that one anymore on the 3DS. 

I have a question for my fellow CAGs here. I am selling my XL today after work for $100 to put towards the New 3DS I pre-ordered the other day. Will I lose all my data or will I be able to back it up to the SD Card? I don't want to be unable to download all the games I have, I'll be very upset if I lose all my downloads. Save data isn't a big deal to me because the only game I have a ton of progress in that I don't care to play through again is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, but when 4 comes out I won't play that one anymore on the 3DS.
YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING. The only way to transfer stuff from one to another is system transfer, and you need both systems and Internet access to do this. Otherwise the licenses that allow you to download the games and play them will stay on your old unit.

YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING. The only way to transfer stuff from one to another is system transfer, and you need both systems and Internet access to do this. Otherwise the licenses that allow you to download the games and play them will stay on your old unit.
There is no way to transfer this to a PC or re-download my games from the eShop? I am supposed to sell the XL today, so if this is the case I will have to tell this person they will have to wait until I can transfer my info to the new unit.

There is no way to transfer this to a PC or re-download my games from the eShop? I am supposed to sell the XL today, so if this is the case I will have to tell this person they will have to wait until I can transfer my info to the new unit.
Correct. Cancel the sale!!

If you could just copy stuff to an SD and stick it in another unit, that would lead to piracy. Of course, if Nintendo had a sensible account system, you'd be able to just deactivate your current one and activate your account on another and redownload everything, like can be done with, say, a PS Vita. Unfortunately that's not the case. Having both systems in front of you and doing a system transfer is the only way.

I'm scared a lot of people are going to get burned on this. :(

Correct. Cancel the sale!!

If you could just copy stuff to an SD and stick it in another unit, that would lead to piracy. Of course, if Nintendo had a sensible account system, you'd be able to just deactivate your current one and activate your account on another and redownload everything, like can be done with, say, a PS Vita. Unfortunately that's not the case. Having both systems in front of you and doing a system transfer is the only way.

I'm scared a lot of people are going to get burned on this. :(
Yeah no kidding, kinda makes the Gamestop trade-in offer for the new system worthless. I'm going to contact the person now and see if they want to wait till next month, otherwise I'll put it up for sale again when my Majora's Mask New 3DS arrives.

Yeah no kidding, kinda makes the Gamestop trade-in offer for the new system worthless. I'm going to contact the person now and see if they want to wait till next month, otherwise I'll put it up for sale again when my Majora's Mask New 3DS arrives.
Yep, I'd really like to take advantage of the trade in offer, but I don't know if I want to even go through the pain of asking them if there is some workaround. It seems like it's really employee discretion. And I wouldn't be able to get $100 for mine I don't think because it has a tiny tiny crack in it. (Then again, I guess I don't want someone to unknowingly buy my cracked 3DS XL from Gamestop anyway.) And even if I could get $125 selling it myself, it's not worth the $25 for the hassle.

Blah.

Yep, I'd really like to take advantage of the trade in offer, but I don't know if I want to even go through the pain of asking them if there is some workaround. It seems like it's really employee discretion. And I wouldn't be able to get $100 for mine I don't think because it has a tiny tiny crack in it. (Then again, I guess I don't want someone to unknowingly buy my cracked 3DS XL from Gamestop anyway.) And even if I could get $125 selling it myself, it's not worth the $25 for the hassle.

Blah.
Yeah I contacted the person who was buying mine today and broke the bad news to her and offered to sell it to her once I get my new one for $80 just for the hassle involved and that I feel bad because she was expecting to buy it for her kid. If she doesn't want to buy it, I'll probably just end up keeping it and having two. I wish I could find someone to buy my 360 and collection of games though. :(

It's sometimes such a pain to sell stuff, and a pain to keep stuff, that I end up just donating it or, in extreme cases, even just tossing it.  I'd really like to do the Gamestop Trade-in.  Hmph!

It's sometimes such a pain to sell stuff, and a pain to keep stuff, that I end up just donating it or, in extreme cases, even just tossing it. I'd really like to do the Gamestop Trade-in. Hmph!
I posted mine on Facebook and someone wanted to buy it within a few minutes. She is cool with waiting and I told her I'd sell it for $80 instead of $100 since I am making her wait an extra month. I just don't see the need to have two 3DS, my girlfriend occasionally plays, but not enough to justify keeping it once I have the new model. I am also sure they will have a sale on the New 3DS at some point and I'll possibly buy a second one if the price is right.

So with the MH 3DS XL, is there any word on how that is working with a system transfer?

Going to probably give my 3DS to my GF once I transfer my account over. I don't want to sell it, would rather give it to her so she can play the pokemans.

So with the MH 3DS XL, is there any word on how that is working with a system transfer?

Going to probably give my 3DS to my GF once I transfer my account over. I don't want to sell it, would rather give it to her so she can play the pokemans.
From what I can make of it, and I am not entirely sure about this: If you transfer your stuff from your 3DS onto the MH4 one, your stuff goes on there, and you can then download MH4 as well on that system. And if you then transfer to a third system, MH4 goes with it. So then the MH4 system is oddly left without MH4 at all. Again, not 100% on this, but apparently that's how the Mario Kart 3DS worked, for instance.

From what I can make of it, and I am not entirely sure about this: If you transfer your stuff from your 3DS onto the MH4 one, your stuff goes on there, and you can then download MH4 as well on that system. And if you then transfer to a third system, MH4 goes with it. So then the MH4 system is oddly left without MH4 at all. Again, not 100% on this, but apparently that's how the Mario Kart 3DS worked, for instance.
I thought the game came preinstalled? Does it wipe it out?

I am hoping Nintendo releases documentation on how to do this.

Question: What is the highest capacity (micro) SD card that the (new) 3DS can handle? I currently have a 16GB card in my Old 3DS and was wondering about upgrading it to 32GB when I get the New 3DS.

I believe it is 32gb, I remember reading no 64gb cards.
Why would it be 32GB? The old 3DS didn't have a limit, so I don't know why the New 3DS would. If it's bigger than 32GB, you just have to format it FAT32 (which is not default) and the 3DS can read it like any other. I'm assuming it's the same on the New 3DS. I hope so, because I already have a 64GB microSD in my current 3DS via adapter and was planning to do the system transfer, then just pop the micro out of the adapter and into the New 3DS. Going to be rather annoyed if I need a 32 instead.

Supposedly, the NEw 3ds is supposed to be able to read bigger ones that have been formatted in this way, but there has been little to no confirmation

Supposedly, the NEw 3ds is supposed to be able to read bigger ones that have been formatted in this way, but there has been little to no confirmation
I don't know why they'd go out of their way to change something like that. They'd have to do some programming to actually lock out anything over a specific size. The 3DS doesn't know the difference. And it would make no sense for them to do so.

If I want to move up to a 64 gb card, would copying the data from my 32gb card (which I'm currently using) to the 64gb card make it that format, or do I have to make it fat32 (or whatever) format, THEN copy everything?

If I want to move up to a 64 gb card, would copying the data from my 32gb card (which I'm currently using) to the 64gb card make it that format, or do I have to make it fat32 (or whatever) format, THEN copy everything?
Nope, gotta format it first. You have to download a special formatter to do it, too. I fiddled and fiddled with mine and finally got it after a few different programs. Windows doesn't do it anymore because it's such an old file format. It's a shame Nintendo won't just pay microsoft for the license and officially support all sizes of SD/micro. It can be done though! And then you just copy everything over and it works like a charm. (Might need to initialize it in your 3DS first, then take it back out and copy everything over.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024ZT3XO/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just placed an order for this USB charging cable ($6.) Reviews are good. Hope it does the job.

31iTU4UQV5L._SX385_.jpg

I have multiple chargers (where the heck did I get them all?), but I pretty much just use the USB charging cable these days (have one similar to the above).

Two questions.

1. Anyone know how to transfer your 3DS to a new MH console yet?

2. So transferring save game files, does it involve that special formatter, or is there a way during the transfer to do it? I have a 22-25 hour Bravely Default Save that I don't wanna lose.

Two questions.

1. Anyone know how to transfer your 3DS to a new MH console yet?

2. So transferring save game files, does it involve that special formatter, or is there a way during the transfer to do it? I have a 22-25 hour Bravely Default Save that I don't wanna lose.
I can answer both questions at once. Unless I'm wrong, which I doubt, it's the same as any other transfer. You hit "system transfer" on both systems. Choose the new MH console as the target. All the licenses will be transferred to the new 3DS. In the old days, you'd then simply remove the SD card from the old console and put it in the new one. Now, it seems that if you have less than 4GB of data, it will all transfer wirelessly to the new console.

If you have more, then you'll just have to get a bigger microSD.

I'm sure if you initiate the system transfer process, it'll instruct you on what to do in either case.

I have a 64GB microSD with adapter in my current 3DS, and the piddly 4GB micro that the new 3DS comes with won't hold much. So, I'm hoping it allows me to just take it out of the old and put it in the new. It'll probably tell me I have to do the copying and such myself, but that's because it won't know it's already a microSD.

Is there a Region Lock on foreign 3DS Units? Specifically, European units? Like, if I import a regular-size New 3DS, can I access the US eShop buy changing the region to US?

Is there a Region Lock on foreign 3DS Units? Specifically, European units? Like, if I import a regular-size New 3DS, can I access the US eShop buy changing the region to US?
*lifts up the rock you've been living under to give you a cheerful greeting* Hello! :)

Yeah, they are all locked. :( Nintendo DS was not, nor was any previous Nintendo handheld console. The 3DS is the first to be region-locked, I guess because they'd always planned to give it an eShop and lock it to region. It's a shame they don't just do it like Sony does instead. If that were the case, like you, I would be importing a regular-sized model and enjoying the smaller size and faceplates.

Yea, I knew the original 3DS was region locked with Japan, but never bothered to find out about Europe since I don't import games. And when Nintendo announced no regular New 3DS, I just kind of ignored the system until the last few days.

bread's done
Back