New 3DS and New 3DSXL - New 3DSXL coming to North America Feb 13th, $199.99, no AC adapter

I couldnt find anything in the settings.
It's within the eShop. There are some options within the eShop, and one of them, somewhere, will take you to a list of everything you've ever downloaded, both free and purchased. (I still have a bunch of E3 201X videos I made the mistake of downloading, forever on my download list.) Anyway, your missing software will be on that list.

I feel bad for those that chose 2 day shipping for $13 from GS to get it Monday. I got free shipping to the store for free to be there Tuesday. GS needs to stop nickel and diming people.

This morning, I'm fiddling with my New 3DS. The screen seems to be getting lighter and darker on its own.

I had no idea this thing had auto-brightness, but I don't know if I like it. May disable it.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/thread/38565
Yeah I'm really disappointed with the auto brightness! I thought it would work like it does on my iPad and iPhone. It doesn't. Sometimes nothing will have changed and it'll get dark. Then it gets light again. Part of the problem is it only has five increments and nothing in between. Why can't they change it to a slider instead? The other part of the problem is that it's either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. I have a feeling it's going to confuse a lot of people who don't even know it's on. It works most of the time, but when it doesn't, it's sort of silly.

How do you guys like the super stable 3d? That works pretty darn well at least, although that has hiccups once in a while.

My battery life has been poor, but that's because I'm not used to having 3d on at all and now I have it on all the time.

Yeah I'm really disappointed with the auto brightness! I thought it would work like it does on my iPad and iPhone. It doesn't. Sometimes nothing will have changed and it'll get dark. Then it gets light again. Part of the problem is it only has five increments and nothing in between. Why can't they change it to a slider instead? The other part of the problem is that it's either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. I have a feeling it's going to confuse a lot of people who don't even know it's on. It works most of the time, but when it doesn't, it's sort of silly.

How do you guys like the super stable 3d? That works pretty darn well at least, although that has hiccups once in a while.

My battery life has been poor, but that's because I'm not used to having 3d on at all and now I have it on all the time.
Yeah the 3D will kill the battery life. I still haven't gotten my new system from Best Buy yet, I am hoping to see it when it get home from work this evening. I played with one at Best Buy the other day though and was impressed by the new 3D, it does work much better than before and I can already see my battery life dropping because of it, but no worries. I don't mind staying plugged in while I play sometimes.

Yeah the 3D will kill the battery life. I still haven't gotten my new system from Best Buy yet, I am hoping to see it when it get home from work this evening. I played with one at Best Buy the other day though and was impressed by the new 3D, it does work much better than before and I can already see my battery life dropping because of it, but no worries. I don't mind staying plugged in while I play sometimes.
I'm weird about my batteries on devices. I typically don't let it drain below 30%, and I never charge it past 80%. This is all in the name of preserving the life of the battery. But when it comes to Nintendo products, the batteries are really easily replaceable, so I'm not sure why I even care. I should just do what I want, even if that means leaving it plugged in when I'm not playing (and even when I am playing if I want).

I'd love to get an extended battery for my New 3DS XL, but the damn thing is so gigantic in my pocket already that I think even a little more thickness would put it over the edge.

Didn't they upgrade the battery life also on the New 3DS? And I'm the opposite, I'm pretty anal about making sure my stuff is almost depleted before charging, and always charging to 100% each time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't they upgrade the battery life also on the New 3DS? And I'm the opposite, I'm pretty anal about making sure my stuff is almost depleted before charging, and always charging to 100% each time.
No, I think it's the same battery. If it's higher capacity, it's not doing much!

Actually, that's the way old batteries liked to be treated, but it isn't the case with batteries nowadays. (Frankly, with current batteries, you can do almost anything you want and it won't much matter. However, the "worst" things you can do (which, again, in the long run don't matter a ton) is deplete it completely and leave it plugged in after it's fully charger. And the other "worst" thing is the trip from 80% to 100%. Basically whatever causes the most heat is the worst, and what causes the most heat is 80-100% and 1-30%, so you want to keep it in the sweet spot and charge whenever you want to keep it thus. And, finally, if it's left plugged in when it's at 100%, it drops from 99% to allow it to go back to 100%, over and over, basically "wasting" life.)

my long diatribe on the modern battery... Again, in the end, it doesn't matter a whole lot, especially with replaceable batteries. I got great results with my ancient iPhone using the above method, however, which I got from battery university or some website that does research on how batteries work. In the case of an iPhone or iPad where it's a pain to replace the battery, if you're going to keep the same device for 5 years or more, it makes sense to be anal. Otherwise, maybe not, again, especially when it's as easy to fix as ordering a $15 replacement battery, unscrewing screws, and putting it in.

My N3DS should get delivered tomorrow hopefully! I is excited! :D/ 

And I wasn't aware it was that easy to swap the battery pack out on it, good to know. 

I never used an XL Model of any 3DS before. I must say that I am glad I upgraded, that extra screen real estate makes it a lot better. It's much easier to see things that are going on. Can't wait to play MH4 tomorrow once it redownloads.

Also I noticed the 3D effect better and think it's more pronounced.

Forgot to add last night. Gamestop has horrible packaging. My 3DS came in a box with no padding to it. For $13 to ship the damn thing, not really that happy over it but all is well.

To those who ordered from Best Buy...My MMn3ds is set to be delivered today. I had a pending charge on my card, but then went away and now I don't see anywhere that they've actually charged my card. Is this normal? When does the charge normally appear?

My first ever attempt at using my wifes CriCut. Turned out good I think. Crap cant upload images to this. Sec Ill find a site to put them.

I feel bad for you guys having to wait an age and a half. Really lame. You'd think they would have been able to get these things to buyers Friday when it was supposed to be out!

I've been enjoying mine since Friday. I still think it's way too big for carrying in a pocket and that the color choices both stink, but other than that, I love it!

I feel bad for you guys having to wait an age and a half. Really lame. You'd think they would have been able to get these things to buyers Friday when it was supposed to be out!

I've been enjoying mine since Friday. I still think it's way too big for carrying in a pocket and that the color choices both stink, but other than that, I love it!
I know! Mine arrived today, so I will have it when I get home from work in a few hours. My major concern now is that I want to get down on some MH4U when I get home on my new system. I am debating on transferring all of my current 3DS over or just the data. From what I understand a full transfer could take hours. Most of my games are smaller VC and eShop releases, but I have Lugi's Mansion and Mario Kart 7 on my SD Card currently as well. I could handle a couple of hours of waiting and get in some more time with Dying Light, but I don't want to miss out on being able to play the new system tonight if it's transferring for several hours.

Does anyone know about how long it typically takes for the transfer process to complete from system to system?

Thanks Keith. The transfer process didnt take that long using PC. I got this one at ToysRUs and since I couldnt stop the Major's Mask version from coming it came in a few days early today. Guess I am going to toss it on ebay rather than return it to BB.

Edit I had a lot of games but not quite 4GB worth of stuff and it only took maybe 30m to do the whole transfer moving to a 32GB card. Using a PC the bulk of the data is transferred during the PC move.

I know! Mine arrived today, so I will have it when I get home from work in a few hours. My major concern now is that I want to get down on some MH4U when I get home on my new system. I am debating on transferring all of my current 3DS over or just the data. From what I understand a full transfer could take hours. Most of my games are smaller VC and eShop releases, but I have Lugi's Mansion and Mario Kart 7 on my SD Card currently as well. I could handle a couple of hours of waiting and get in some more time with Dying Light, but I don't want to miss out on being able to play the new system tonight if it's transferring for several hours.

Does anyone know about how long it typically takes for the transfer process to complete from system to system?
It should only take an hour or so. I wouldn't advise playing anything on your new system at all. You can't selectively choose what you transfer or not. It all gets transferred, and your target system gets wiped first, and then after that your original system gets wiped. And if you set up a Nintendo Network ID on the target system, that can complicate things.

Or maybe what you're saying is, what if you deleted everything on your current DS so that it wouldn't try to transfer it all via wi-fi. That could work! There are methods to transfer via PC, too, but frankly I can't seem to access my New 3DS via PC at all. If you have a microSD to SD adapter, though, and a PC that reads SDs, you could do that...

I think you said before you have less than 4GB of stuff, right? I think if I were you, I might just back up my save data I wanted to keep (using the on-board thing on the 3DS where you click the little arrow), delete everything, then system transfer. Then re-download Monster Hunter on the new one after the transfer and go at it.

Or, if you don't want to fiddle, just do a system transfer normally and let it take its time. I suppose what takes the longest is beaming data from one 3DS to another over wi-fi. With mine, it was all on a microSD in an adapter and I just popped it from the old to the new without adapter. And it still took an hour. Why? I don't see why transferring licenses or whatever it's doing should take so long...

Edit: I see now I totally misinterpreted what you were saying/asking... sorry.

It should only take an hour or so. I wouldn't advise playing anything on your new system at all. You can't selectively choose what you transfer or not. It all gets transferred, and your target system gets wiped first, and then after that your original system gets wiped. And if you set up a Nintendo Network ID on the target system, that can complicate things.

Or maybe what you're saying is, what if you deleted everything on your current DS so that it wouldn't try to transfer it all via wi-fi. That could work! There are methods to transfer via PC, too, but frankly I can't seem to access my New 3DS via PC at all. If you have a microSD to SD adapter, though, and a PC that reads SDs, you could do that...

I think you said before you have less than 4GB of stuff, right? I think if I were you, I might just back up my save data I wanted to keep (using the on-board thing on the 3DS where you click the little arrow), delete everything, then system transfer. Then re-download Monster Hunter on the new one after the transfer and go at it.

Or, if you don't want to fiddle, just do a system transfer normally and let it take its time. I suppose what takes the longest is beaming data from one 3DS to another over wi-fi. With mine, it was all on a microSD in an adapter and I just popped it from the old to the new without adapter. And it still took an hour. Why? I don't see why transferring licenses or whatever it's doing should take so long...

Edit: I see now I totally misinterpreted what you were saying/asking... sorry.
No worries, I have less than 4GB on my current 3DS, but I am putting a 32 GB micro SD in my New 3DS. The majority of my games are physical, so I am mostly concerned with just getting the games I have downloaded along with all my save data and licenses to transfer in around an hour tops. I really would hate to have to wait for longer than an hour or two. I think my laptop has both standard and micro SD ports though, I'll keep everyone posted on what I end up doing and hopefully it is a quick and relatively painless process.

Finally got mine from Best Buy today, came in pristine condition and I was really surprised.  Sadly I probably won't be able to play with it until the weekend, since you know, life.  xD

I will probably wait until either the standard size is released or there is a really cool bundle announced. Not big on either Monster Hunter or Majora's Mask, so I will pass on those.

My New 3DSXL has been excellent. Love the improved field of viewing for 3D. Definitely makes 3D more pleasant. Just have the red one, and I ordered a Decalgirl skin on eBay this morning. The only downside of having a red 3DS is it makes pairing a skin a little more difficult, but maybe I'm just anal about matching. I would kind of like a Monster Hunter skin to look like the limited edition, but I think all that red peeking through would drive me nuts or look crappy. Or maybe it won't. Have no idea. But I bet it would...maybe...

My New 3DSXL has been excellent. Love the improved field of viewing for 3D. Definitely makes 3D more pleasant. Just have the red one, and I ordered a Decalgirl skin on eBay this morning. The only downside of having a red 3DS is it makes pairing a skin a little more difficult, but maybe I'm just anal about matching. I would kind of like a Monster Hunter skin to look like the limited edition, but I think all that red peeking through would drive me nuts or look crappy. Or maybe it won't. Have no idea. But I bet it would...maybe...
I think you're right...maybe...

I finally got mine yesterday and transferred everything over. I've played some MH4U and Majora's Mask so far, both excellent experiences on the new system. Like everyone has said the 3D is vastly improved and a lot easier to see now. The C-Stick is also a nice plus, especially for MH4U. I also like the design a lot better than the original XL, which I didn't care much for the design. Well done, Nintendo!

I got my system this weekend, and I agree with the other posters here, the new 3ds is a great improvement over the older versions (playing Monster Hunter on one of the tiny, original 3ds systems is just painful). 3D that I can actually use while playing, faster load times, and the new C stick works great for me.

Just don't be a dummy like me and try to install a non glare screen protector on the top screen. I had a left over set from my old 3ds XL, used it on the new 3ds XL, and it caused major ghosting issues that I ended up taking it off a few hours later. Bottom screen works fine though with a screen protector.

My only problem I've had is with the data transfer process. I had the Pop Tart 3DS with Animal Crossing pre-installed, and after I transferred over to my new 3DS XL, Animal Crossing can no longer be accessed, it won't show up in my eshop history to redownload, even though all my other eshop games I've purchased in the past on the old device transferred over with no problem. All my other digital games are present with their saves intact, its just Animal Crossing that's in limbo (it shows as downloaded on my micro sd card, and I still even get street pass notifications for it! wierd). I guess I'll be calling Nintendo customer service on my next day off....

I got my system this weekend, and I agree with the other posters here, the new 3ds is a great improvement over the older versions (playing Monster Hunter on one of the tiny, original 3ds systems is just painful). 3D that I can actually use while playing, faster load times, and the new C stick works great for me.

Just don't be a dummy like me and try to install a non glare screen protector on the top screen. I had a left over set from my old 3ds XL, used it on the new 3ds XL, and it caused major ghosting issues that I ended up taking it off a few hours later. Bottom screen works fine though with a screen protector.

My only problem I've had is with the data transfer process. I had the Pop Tart 3DS with Animal Crossing pre-installed, and after I transferred over to my new 3DS XL, Animal Crossing can no longer be accessed, it won't show up in my eshop history to redownload, even though all my other eshop games I've purchased in the past on the old device transferred over with no problem. All my other digital games are present with their saves intact, its just Animal Crossing that's in limbo (it shows as downloaded on my micro sd card, and I still even get street pass notifications for it! wierd). I guess I'll be calling Nintendo customer service on my next day off....
Nintendo is usually excellent in the customer service department. That whole transfer process is a mess, I did the wireless between systems and it took roughly 2 hours to complete for me, but everything went over to the new system without a problem. I set my old 3DS up for my girlfriend to use.

It makes me not want to not buy another 3DS, even if Nintendo releases the smaller N3DS with the face plates or another awesome CE like the Majora's Mask and MH4U systems.

So, I finally got done dealing with Nintendo customer service today about my missing Animal Crossing game. Their customer service by both email and phone have been very busy due to the new 3DS release, so I probably spent about a week and half going back and forth with their customer service staff via email and phone about my problem.

For some reason, the Animal Crossing Limited Edition 3DSXLs have had problems transferring the predownloaded game to new systems. As in, the game not showing up existing in a customer's eshop purchase history for those who got it through the limited edition console. In my case, all my other eshop games and their saves transferred over, but my AC game would not show up on my Home screen for play and the game showed up as Xed out on my microSD card. So it was there, but not accessable. I left the data untouched while I contacted Nintendo about the problem.

I called Nintendo customer service twice and explained my problem. First call they wanted to know some account details, serial numbers off my 3DSes, what method of system transfer I used, and UPC codes off the boxes of the consoles themselves (good thing I kept my old Animal Crossing 3DS box!). Then the support staff told me they were going to forward all this info to a different department, because the staff working the center couldn't figure out why this was happening, and they would contact me at a later date.

A week later I get an email with a new customer service phone number and a case number to call and contact another customer service staff member. I called them a second time, and they agreed to credit my Nintendo eshop account the amount of money it would cost to purchase a new download of Animal Crossing, provided I could forward them some additional information. They wanted me to email a picture of my Animal Crossing 3DS, both front and back, with serial numbers visible. I did that, and got an eshop credit to my account an hour later.

Meanwhile, during all of this my Animal Crossing data has remained untouched on my microSD card.

I go online to the eshop, purchase the new download, and select "download later" just to see what would happen, because the game was still present on my microsd card.  I leave the eshop, and a new present pops up on my home screen with Animal Crossing inside it. I start it up, and to my absolute shock, my original, in limbo AC town is there (along with my grumpy animals who haven't seen me in a over a week. I'm sorry Bob, blame Nintendo). Totally weird, but I'm soooooooo happy I got my town back.

Edit: Just got a third call from Nintendo, the customer service rep wanted to know if I had gotten my funds and game through the eshop. When I told him that yes, I had gotten my game, plus my save back, he was like: "What, what!? I've not heard of that happening!" Yup, and here we were thinking it was a data corruption issue.

I've been holding out on purchasing a N3DS.  Does anyone know/have any idea if their will be another limited edition soon?  I'm really hoping for a limited edition Xenoblade edition. 

I have a 10% off at best buy coupon + a few reward zone credits that I want to use on the purchase of a system, but I don't really care for the red or black systems.  I would love an all white system, but I know that is never going to happen.

Does anyone know/have any idea if their will be another limited edition soon? I'm really hoping for a limited edition Xenoblade edition.
The question is not 'IF' but 'WHEN'. Of course Nintendo will release another limited edition new 3DS; it's only a matter of time.

I've been holding out on purchasing a N3DS. Does anyone know/have any idea if their will be another limited edition soon? I'm really hoping for a limited edition Xenoblade edition.
If they made a Xenoblade edition I would be super angry. Although the MH4 console is very nice. There will be more limited editions, there were with the regular XL model.

That reminds me, a little more than a month away from the Xenoblade port for New 3DS. So excited.

bread's done
Back