New 3DS and New 3DSXL - New 3DSXL coming to North America Feb 13th, $199.99, no AC adapter

Yeah, it's a bummer.  I'm just going to buy the XL.  I had a 3DS XL anyway.  I figured I'd keep that for DS games and get a Regular New 3DS.  But nope.  So I guess it's XL.  I was looking forward to something more compact.  Oh well.

I can answer both questions at once. Unless I'm wrong, which I doubt, it's the same as any other transfer. You hit "system transfer" on both systems. Choose the new MH console as the target. All the licenses will be transferred to the new 3DS. In the old days, you'd then simply remove the SD card from the old console and put it in the new one. Now, it seems that if you have less than 4GB of data, it will all transfer wirelessly to the new console.
I still have the original 2GB card that came with the launch 3DS, in my 3DS. I am glad this is the case, don't wanna lose my MH and it will be great to transfer everything in one shot.

Handy video!!  Thanks!

It looks like I can say "no" on there when it asks if I'm using an SD card (since I'm actually using a microSD in an adapter).

Why does it erase the target system?  What if your new system has a game on it?  I guess you have to download it again?

From how I understand it, everything comes from the source system, even if it was, for instance, a Mario Kart system that came with Mario Kart pre-installed; and whatever is on the target system stays on it (Monster Hunter, for instance--I'm not sure about stuff that might be purchased with the new system though... maybe that gets deleted).

pre-ordered the N3DS XL today, pretty hyped. i missed the entire DS generation as well so there's a massive backlog i'll have to sift through.

picking up Bravely Default first though since i've heard great things.

Yeah, there are a ton of DS games.  Holy moly.  One word of advice: when playing a DS game, hold Select as it boots up.  This will display it in a "pixel-perfect" rendition rather than stretching the pixels and making it look awful.  With how giant the XL screens are, even in "pixel-perfect" mode I think it's bigger than the screen of a DS.  Although some games look okay stretched...

Is it necessary to pre-order?  I was planning to just go buy one Friday.  I would be pretty sad if there weren't any to buy!

Tempted to get one as well. The last Nintendo handheld I had was DS Lite, so I've missed out on 3DS completely. What's the largest SD card it will take?

Yeah, there are a ton of DS games. Holy moly. One word of advice: when playing a DS game, hold Select as it boots up. This will display it in a "pixel-perfect" rendition rather than stretching the pixels and making it look awful. With how giant the XL screens are, even in "pixel-perfect" mode I think it's bigger than the screen of a DS. Although some games look okay stretched...

Is it necessary to pre-order? I was planning to just go buy one Friday. I would be pretty sad if there weren't any to buy!
Nah no real reason to preorder. I just find it convenient is all.

Does the 'Select' button trick work on 3DS games as well? I hear the XL screen stretches the resolution but I don't know how noticeable it would actually be on a 3DS title.

Tempted to get one as well. The last Nintendo handheld I had was DS Lite, so I've missed out on 3DS completely. What's the largest SD card it will take?
You should do it. You won't be disappointed, and Persona Q!

32GB is the largest it'll take and likely larger than you'll need. However, it can take any size SD card if you format said card in FAT32 format, which takes a little fiddling on a computer. I am using a 64GB. But natively, without fiddling with formatting the card, 32GB is the biggest.

Nah no real reason to preorder. I just find it convenient is all.

Does the 'Select' button trick work on 3DS games as well? I hear the XL screen stretches the resolution but I don't know how noticeable it would actually be on a 3DS title.
I'll see if I can explain this in a way that makes sense. The 3DS and the 3DS XL have the same resolution. So the XL just has really big pixels compared to the non-XL. (Yes really.) So, a 3DS game on a 3DS XL is the exact same, just with larger pixels because the screen itself is larger but has the exact same number of pixels.

Meanwhile, the Nintendo DS had a lower resolution than the 3DS does. So, it uses more pixels to render the lower-resolution image. This does not look good usually, because it's just not how the image was intended to be presented. If you hold the select button, then it renders it with the original number of pixels. So you end up with a postage stamp doing that on a regular 3DS, but on the XL, the pixels are so big that it doesn't matter.

So it all has to do with resolution and pixel density. Not sure if that makes sense at all. I guess I could have just said, "No, it doesn't work, and yes, the 3DS and 3DS XL have the same number of pixels, but the XL has bigger pixels."

That's my understanding of it. It's all hoodoo anyway.

I checked the Gamestop website, and it says the Red New XL is not available but the Black one still says available. I had a black XL, so I kind of wanted a red New XL. (What I really want is white or green or something.)

That video doesn't explain the Monster Hunter console process which sucks but I just wanna make sure that the system will register my copy of MH seeing I payed for it. I am assuming after I system transfer it's there though.

Anyway, would  it be possible to copy the MH game to my PC and replace it after the system transfer is complete? I don't want to have to redownload the damn game on my slow connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
That video doesn't explain the Monster Hunter console process which sucks but I just wanna make sure that the system will register my copy of MH seeing I payed for it. I am assuming after I system transfer it's there though.

Anyway, would it be possible to copy the MH game to my PC and replace it after the system transfer is complete? I don't want to have to redownload the damn game on my slow connection.
I think it would probably still be on the MH system. I think it only formats the old system, not the new one, so as long as there's room on the memory card, everything is just merged onto the new system. If there's not enough room on the new system, then I have no idea what would happen. I suppose you'd just have to download it again. In that case, I think you could probably copy the contents of the New 3DS MicroSD to your computer, do the transfer, copy the contents again either from your old 3DS or the new merged one into the same place you already copied the contents previously, and it would all be merged.

Or, that might not work at all.

I think you'd be safer just downloading it again. Just leave it on overnight or something. But if you don't have much to transfer to the New 3DS's 4GB card, then I doubt you'd have to download it again anyway unless it formats the new system before retrieving everything from the old 3DS.

I don't know. This is all complicated without doing it first, and there seem to be multiple methods to further the confusion.

I think it would probably still be on the MH system. I think it only formats the old system, not the new one, so as long as there's room on the memory card, everything is just merged onto the new system. If there's not enough room on the new system, then I have no idea what would happen. I suppose you'd just have to download it again. In that case, I think you could probably copy the contents of the New 3DS MicroSD to your computer, do the transfer, copy the contents again either from your old 3DS or the new merged one into the same place you already copied the contents previously, and it would all be merged.

Or, that might not work at all.

I think you'd be safer just downloading it again. Just leave it on overnight or something. But if you don't have much to transfer to the New 3DS's 4GB card, then I doubt you'd have to download it again anyway unless it formats the new system before retrieving everything from the old 3DS.

I don't know. This is all complicated without doing it first, and there seem to be multiple methods to further the confusion.
From the video I assumed it wiped out the new 3DS and then you replace with the content of the old 3DS. I would prefer not to download it again but if I have to, so be it. Just more annoying.

GameStop is totally out of stock. Sucks. I wanted to trade in my old XL for the $100 off a new one. And that offer is over Saturday.
Flip it yourself on ebay or Amazon. You can probably get more than $100.00 and straight cash.

I went to gamestop, then Target then Toys R us before I found one today. I did not anticipate the demand.

Flip it yourself on ebay or Amazon. You can probably get more than $100.00 and straight cash.

I went to gamestop, then Target then Toys R us before I found one today. I did not anticipate the demand.
Nah, too much hassle, and I'm okay with swapping store credit for Steam/PSN/eShop credit.

Plus it has a tiny tiny tiny little crack in it. Not sure if it's serious. I don't mind ripping Gamestop off, but if I were selling it outright, I would definitely want to let people know about the crack.

I was lucky--a friend found one for me and himself at a Walmart about 200 miles away!

Might be a stupid question, but you can transfer multiple systems to one, right? I have 2 3DS systems, one an Ambassador and one that has all my main games and saves. If I transfer my Ambassador system to a New 3DS and then transfer my other 3DS system to the N3DS, would I still keep all my licenses? I don't mind redownloading.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell the system transfer wipes the target system. Though a googling brought me here, which suggests that you can transfer your Ambassadorship first, then the games, and only lose any duplicate games you own.

Good luck!

Actually, I think the source system is the only one that gets wiped. The target system just gets overwritten. I'm not 100% sure about that, though... Murky waters.

I think you might have to redownload everything, but I don't think it's gone forever. In other words, even if it erases everything, I think the licenses stay. Again, not totally sure on that.

You'd have to wait 7 days between transfers, too.

Work caused me to miss out on the Majora's Mask system rush and apparently MH4U at Best Buy as well. I wanted to pick it up with GCU and get the $10 GC, but my store was wiped clean on everything except for standard edition Majora's Mask games. I ended up paying full price for MH4U elsewhere. I am still waiting on my black N3DS to arrive from Best Buy. I hope that I don't lose any progress during the transfer process to the new system when I get it in the mail, hopefully today. Best Buy is terrible at updating shipping info. 

Work caused me to miss out on the Majora's Mask system rush and apparently MH4U at Best Buy as well. I wanted to pick it up with GCU and get the $10 GC, but my store was wiped clean on everything except for standard edition Majora's Mask games. I ended up paying full price for MH4U elsewhere. I am still waiting on my black N3DS to arrive from Best Buy. I hope that I don't lose any progress during the transfer process to the new system when I get it in the mail, hopefully today. Best Buy is terrible at updating shipping info.
Why would you lose progress? You mean like losing save data? You should be good. I've system transferred twice now and never had any issues at all.

I heard back from a Nintendo representative, and apparently you really can do a system transfer even if you only have the one system and don't have your old one anymore. You just need to call them, know your Nintendo Network ID, the names of five games you'd downloaded, maybe your serial number from the old system...

Still dno if I'd trust it, but it would be nice to have in case of emergency.

I heard back from a Nintendo representative, and apparently you really can do a system transfer even if you only have the one system and don't have your old one anymore. You just need to call them, know your Nintendo Network ID, the names of five games you'd downloaded, maybe your serial number from the old system...

Damn! That sounds like a huge hassle. It's nice to know that it's at least an option though. I'm pretty confident all my data will transfer from my current 3DS to my New 3DS without any issues, but I have heard the past horror stories of lost data and saves in the past. Hopefully I get my pre-order soon, I really wish I had the option for store pick up on it.

Well, I was a lucky one I suppose who got my unit. 

I had a plain black one preordered at GS. I picked it up yesterday and finally cracked it open this morning to find that mine is effing defective. The back panel WILL NOT come off. Sat there for an hour trying to get it off. The back right thread hole must be defective and the screw is just locked in there indefinitely. 

I had to bring it all the way back to GS just so they could confirm it was broken, the manager was there and he messed with it for a few minutes. He then took my info and simply said hopefully I hear something when I do I will call you. Didn't say sorry or anything. I am pretty pissed. He did note that a different employee had the exact opposite problem where his back panel just pops off and the screws were never in and cannot get screwed in. So that is cool. Nintendo limits quantities like crazy but then also ships with defects and there aren't even enough available to fix that.

I am pissed. I caved and decided to get this new one a bit ago and it has been nothing but a hassle.

Anyone else have WiFi issues with the new system. Final opened my MH4 system to begin the transfer process and it won't pick up a WiFi signal. Old XL sitting right next to it picks up around 12 from me and the apartments around me.

fuck. Figures I finally buy an LE system and now will have to return it since they is now way to exchange it.

so many cool games on the 3ds I want to play. Seemed like a great time to jump in, but I need a matte finish! 

silly Nintendo

Damn! That sounds like a huge hassle. It's nice to know that it's at least an option though. I'm pretty confident all my data will transfer from my current 3DS to my New 3DS without any issues, but I have heard the past horror stories of lost data and saves in the past. Hopefully I get my pre-order soon, I really wish I had the option for store pick up on it.
Yeah--it would be nice to be able to do that in the event of loss, theft, a system just flat out breaking to the point where system transfer isn't possible... But not something I want to risk!

I feel lucky I even got one. I've been enjoying it all day. The 3D is really spectacular and makes th 3D on the old version seem outright broken. Instead of having the 3D turned off 95% of the time, now I'll have it on 95% of the time.

Back up your save data onto your PC first. I've never needed it, but I keep a fairly regular backup. I don't know how I'll do that now that it requires unscrewing the back to remove the SD card, though. That's too much of a pain to do with any regularity.

Well, I was a lucky one I suppose who got my unit.

I had a plain black one preordered at GS. I picked it up yesterday and finally cracked it open this morning to find that mine is effing defective. The back panel WILL NOT come off. Sat there for an hour trying to get it off. The back right thread hole must be defective and the screw is just locked in there indefinitely.

I had to bring it all the way back to GS just so they could confirm it was broken, the manager was there and he messed with it for a few minutes. He then took my info and simply said hopefully I hear something when I do I will call you. Didn't say sorry or anything. I am pretty pissed. He did note that a different employee had the exact opposite problem where his back panel just pops off and the screws were never in and cannot get screwed in. So that is cool. Nintendo limits quantities like crazy but then also ships with defects and there aren't even enough available to fix that.

I am pissed. I caved and decided to get this new one a bit ago and it has been nothing but a hassle.
I had a tough time with the back panel on mine, too, so I was wondering if yours was actually defective. Sounds like you tried about everything you could, though. That's really depressing. I don't know if this helps, but if that had happened to me, I'd be ultra-screwed, because I would have already done a system transfer and would have been at the step when I had to remove the back panel to put the microSD in. I would have discovered too late that it was defective and been stuck with all my stuff on a defective New 3DS! At least that didn't happen.

Anyone else have WiFi issues with the new system. Final opened my MH4 system to begin the transfer process and it won't pick up a WiFi signal. Old XL sitting right next to it picks up around 12 from me and the apartments around me.

fuck. Figures I finally buy an LE system and now will have to return it since they is now way to exchange it.
I have not heard about that at all. :( What is possible is that since there is new wi-fi hardware in the New version, maybe it and your router are not friends. Maybe resetting the router or trying a new router might help. It's not picking up anything at all, though? Resetting the system might help?

so many cool games on the 3ds I want to play. Seemed like a great time to jump in, but I need a matte finish!

silly Nintendo
Ha, that seems like kind of a silly reason. :p Reminds me of when the wife is like, "I don't wanna; I have a headache."

Wow .. keeps getting better. Gamestop is saying I cant return it since its open. Exchange for the same item only.... which of course they don't have. 

Nintendo support is saying its not the system, its my router (even though it wont detect ANY network, not just mine) ...

So I am stuck with a system that can never play online and can never be updated.... 

Perfect... 

Wow .. keeps getting better. Gamestop is saying I cant return it since its open. Exchange for the same item only.... which of course they don't have.

Nintendo support is saying its not the system, its my router (even though it wont detect ANY network, not just mine) ...

So I am stuck with a system that can never play online and can never be updated....

Perfect...
I'm sure you've tried everything already, but just in case...

Try resetting your router? Try resetting the New 3DS? Try the New 3DS at Starbucks or somewhere?

Keep on Nintendo's case about it. If all else fails, you can exchange it at GS when they get another, right?

That is a major bummer...

I'm sure you've tried everything already, but just in case...

Try resetting your router? Try resetting the New 3DS? Try the New 3DS at Starbucks or somewhere?

Keep on Nintendo's case about it. If all else fails, you can exchange it at GS when they get another, right?

That is a major bummer...
Tried resetting everything. The issue appears to be with the wireless chip on the inside of the system. I tried putting it actually on top of the router and it works ok for a few second. Moving it around a foot away and it drops signal. Checked it with my work MiFi device and its the exact same. It will only detect a network when less than a foot away from the source.

I don't think Gamestop is set to get any more of the systems. Since it was a limited edition I don't think there would be additional print runs.

Tried resetting everything. The issue appears to be with the wireless chip on the inside of the system. I tried putting it actually on top of the router and it works ok for a few second. Moving it around a foot away and it drops signal. Checked it with my work MiFi device and its the exact same. It will only detect a network when less than a foot away from the source.

I don't think Gamestop is set to get any more of the systems. Since it was a limited edition I don't think there would be additional print runs.
Ah ha... It sounds like you've figured it out for sure... It seems like Nintendo will have to do something about it. It'll likely be a rather crappy solution, though, like sending it to them for repair. I can't believe Gamestop can't/won't exchange it for a different unit.

I feel like Nintendo's hardware has gotten shoddier recently. Not that Sony and Microsoft's hasn't been shoddy, but still. Nintendo's stuff used to be rock solid.

That really sucks. It definitely sounds like it's defective. And that's bullcrap on GS's part--they sold you a defective item, if they can't exchange it they are obligated to at least refund you in full. I'd take it up with corporate, or the local district manager, if you don't want to hassle with sending it in to Nintendo to fix. I'm sure Nintendo will take it back if you explain you've tried different routers and different networks and it doesn't detect any of them correctly.

Agreed on both accounts.  If you're not set on having a special edition one, get that refund out of them and go buy a regular one.  Can't believe that they're both pulling crap on you.  Really annoying!

I had a tough time with the back panel on mine, too, so I was wondering if yours was actually defective. Sounds like you tried about everything you could, though. That's really depressing. I don't know if this helps, but if that had happened to me, I'd be ultra-screwed, because I would have already done a system transfer and would have been at the step when I had to remove the back panel to put the microSD in. I would have discovered too late that it was defective and been stuck with all my stuff on a defective New 3DS! At least that didn't happen.
Yeah I tried it for an hour and like I said so did the manager so I would say in my mind it is pretty conclusively defective hah. It was a stupid design choice anyway to have to remove a panel to add on the card. Ugh.

And that sucks about the WiFi on the MH console! Probably have to bite the bullet and just get a normal one but as is my case, those are not even around right now. Damn Nintendo and their super limited supply of everything : /

silly Nintendo
While I understand your hesitation, the finish doesn't seem to scratch from what I've seen. You can go to many stores and see them. They even have a sample of the plastic that they're using. I tried to scratch it and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Also, I don't know if it's been posted elsewhere, but 32GBs seems to be the max for the New 3DS.

10942302_784507778300344_4903182024104621893_o.jpg

While I understand your hesitation, the finish doesn't seem to scratch from what I've seen. You can go to many stores and see them. They even have a sample of the plastic that they're using. I tried to scratch it and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Also, I don't know if it's been posted elsewhere, but 32GBs seems to be the max for the New 3DS.

10942302_784507778300344_4903182024104621893_o.jpg
Actually, I'm using a 64gb card right now. 32gb is the biggest that works out of the box, but anything formatted fat32 will work. It's just that anything 64gb or above is not formatted fat32 unless you do it yourself. Nintendo is too cheap to pay to use ntfs or whatever the higher capacities normally use, and I guess they can't tell people to format with fat32, so they say 32 is the max. It's not.

So after arguing for nearly two hours last night with Nintendo they finally agreed to have me send it in for repairs so they could "see" if it really needed anything done. Lets see if they actually do anything or if they just send it back saying the error is still on my part. 

They just kept arguing that it had to be my router. Had me try to manually change the DNS setting on the system, change my router channel and a few other things. They simply would not listen to the fact that it was not just MY router that it would not pick up but ANY router. It actually comes up and say "No Access Points Found". I live in an apartment complex so there are several around me. It would be one thing if It saw the networks and just couldn't connect due to interference or something, but to not see any router unless it is physically sitting on top of it while my old 3DSXL sees them all ... something is wrong. 

At least I know if I ever have my system stolen or drop it in water, I should be able to get all my games back on a new system. Thanks!

So after arguing for nearly two hours last night with Nintendo they finally agreed to have me send it in for repairs so they could "see" if it really needed anything done. Lets see if they actually do anything or if they just send it back saying the error is still on my part.

They just kept arguing that it had to be my router. Had me try to manually change the DNS setting on the system, change my router channel and a few other things. They simply would not listen to the fact that it was not just MY router that it would not pick up but ANY router. It actually comes up and say "No Access Points Found". I live in an apartment complex so there are several around me. It would be one thing if It saw the networks and just couldn't connect due to interference or something, but to not see any router unless it is physically sitting on top of it while my old 3DSXL sees them all ... something is wrong.
That is an insanely terrible story. I sure hope they can fix it. That sounds so frustrating and disappointing.

Still waiting on my Best Buy pre-order to arrive. Anyone else still waiting for a Best Buy online order?
Yes, mine's shipped and I should get it by the end of the week I hope.

Glad you're getting it fixed, AdvOfJet, maybe they'll just send you a replacement instead of scrutinizing that one since it's a new product.

I screwed up my transfer somehow. Everything came over except for Zelda four swords.

Tried looking for it on the eshop but couldnt find it. Any solutions?

Mine should be coming tomorrow.

I saw a red model in Target yesterday and it made me wonder why GS charged me $13 to ship an item that is a little bit bigger than a small box cardboard PC game.

Then again I have the MH4 edition coming so I am still happy. One question I do have. Can I transfer the version of MH4 on the new 3DS's card to my PC before I do a system transfer? I ask because while I don't mind downloading it, I would prefer not to.

bread's done
Back