New Metallica Album!

Thought I'd bump this up. We now have a track listing of the new album.

That Was Just Your Life
End of the Line
Broken, Beat & Scarred
Day That Never Comes
All Nightmare Long
Cyanide
Unforgiven III
Judas Kiss
Suicide & Redemption
My Apocalypse

Most people are saying that "Unforgiven III" is just them running out of ideas, but I'm looking forward to it. I mean, the first two kicked ass. If they even come close to the first two, the song will be an instant hit.

Anyway, I liked 'The Day That Never Comes', but 'My Apocalypse' sucked.

Also, word has it that the album has been leaked. But all reliable sources have had the material taken down. Makes me think that it might be the real thing. I have a friend who's going to try to send me the link later, I'll let you know if it's real or not. *Crosses fingers*

I think I'll go through and edit the first post with some more relevant info.

The two new singles, the next two, etc.

[quote name='chasemurata'] Metallica can only go up from it. I think. Hopefully.[/quote]

Funny, I thought the same thing when Load and Reload came out. I sure was wrong on that one.

[quote name='chasemurata']St. Anger was terrible. I still have nightmares where I hear its poor drumming. Metallica can only go up from it. I think. Hopefully.[/QUOTE]

For the love of God I hope they fixed the drums on this album.

Two things this band needs: James needs to unlearn how to sing, Kirk needs to throw his effects pedals in the trash.

[quote name='CrimGhost']Heard the new album, save your money unless you like Creed and Devildriver.[/quote]

How?

Not expecting much out of this album. It's not that I have a vendetta against the band - this is fucking Metallica, I WANT to like them and it sucks that I don't. It's up to them to change my mind, though.

For those with XM who want to hear it early and don't want to try to track it down for download, it'll be played in its entirety on channel 51 on September 4th @ 9 EST.

So far, I've only heard "The Day that Never Comes" and it's okay. Though I'm just not digging that half the song is instrumental. At least it's not as bad as that one Dragonforce song where 3/4 of the song is instrumental and half the time I feel like singing the lyrics to their other song, "Through the Fire and the Flames".

From just this song, I would say it's not their best. But yeah, I'd like to give the other tracks a sample, then I could get a better idea.

I'm still digging their older stuff, but that's pretty much it. I don't expect these songs to stay playing on the radio for a very long time.

A local station is also playing it September 4th at 8pm.. they broadcast online, you can hear it at 1029thebuzz.com at that time

[quote name='Access_Denied']
Most people are saying that "Unforgiven III" is just them running out of ideas, but I'm looking forward to it. I mean, the first two kicked ass. If they even come close to the first two, the song will be an instant hit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the first one was great and the second one was good, but I don't like their odds of following it up with another one. I hope this is the end of the "trilogy."

[quote name='option.iv']So far, I've only heard "The Day that Never Comes" and it's okay. Though I'm just not digging that half the song is instrumental. At least it's not as bad as that one Dragonforce song where 3/4 of the song is instrumental and half the time I feel like singing the lyrics to their other song, "Through the Fire and the Flames".

From just this song, I would say it's not their best. But yeah, I'd like to give the other tracks a sample, then I could get a better idea.

I'm still digging their older stuff, but that's pretty much it. I don't expect these songs to stay playing on the radio for a very long time.[/quote]

I hate to say it, but I thought that the instrumental half of "The Day That Never Comes" was my favorite part.

Eh, Cyanide sucks to be honest. My Apocalypse sounded like older Metallica, not there yet though. And for some reason, I enjoyed The Day that Never Comes.

The Day That Never Comes is cool. Cyanide is meh. My Apocalypse is meh. Unforgiven III is cool, but nowhere near the first two. The Judas Kiss was awesome. That Was Just Your Life is also pretty awesome.

Oh, and in case you couldn't guess, the album has been leaked. Check your favorite torrent site. Youtube has them, but they're being deleted quickly.

Zzzzz... thanks for the vids tho, OP. I'll keep my Master of Puppets ~ Reload Metallica, thanks.

Their best work IMO was ... And Justice for All. And Load/Reload are awesome if you can accept that they were trying to experiment/age with grace. Man, did that ever take a 180' *pukes

I WILL say this sounds a lot closer to their earlier sound then that... St. Anger... THING. And I never liked Kill em All, or Ride the Lightning (For Whom the Bell Tolls being the exception on Lightnin'). So makes sense I'm gagging on this stuff.

[quote name='MRJESUS925']Canadian_Man is correct. Listen to his wise judgement.[/quote]

And if it means anything, don't ignore Kill'Em All just yet. When you start to develop a taste for speed metal, it has some excellent stuff on their such as Hit The Lights, Whiplash, Phantom Lord and Metal Militia.

OH! dude, Kill 'Em All is CRAZY! every song on there is fantastic! DEFINITELY RECOMMEND anyone pick that album up before they judge Metallica.

I found it hard to get into at first and even to this day, a good portion of that album still bugs me.

The Four Horsemen is on the long/slow side but at times is quite enjoyable, Jump In The Fire is bland, Anesthesia is pretty uninteresting until the drumming comes in, No Remorse is decent and I'm sorry, but Seek & Destroy is flat out annoying and overrated.

I'm hating the lyrics/vocals but I'll reserve final judgement until I get to listen to it at CD quality on my reference system.

[quote name='velvet396']I'm hating the lyrics/vocals but I'll reserve final judgement until I get to listen to it at CD quality on my reference system.[/quote]
Hmm, yeah, JH's vocals aren't as nice to listen to for me. And that "hhaughh!" sound he makes after every stanza starts to get on my nerves. And that higher pitched yelling voice doesn't do it for me either. Oh well, at least he didn't go lame on everyone like how Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots did probably trying to reinvent himself.

[quote name='MRJESUS925']OH! dude, Kill 'Em All is CRAZY! every song on there is fantastic! DEFINITELY RECOMMEND anyone pick that album up before they judge Metallica.[/quote]
This, they peaked with Kill 'Em All. Justice is still my favorite though. 9.5 minute long song with 3 lines of words? Yes, please.

The first two songs aren't up any more, but the live one didn't sound horrible. At least lars isn't playing tin cans.

So I've checked this new album out and it's not bad. I can't decide what I think about it overall but it's not horrible. I'm still not a fan of the way James' voice has been the past several albums. It sucks the life out of the music now that he tries to sing. The music is probably the best since the black album though. It will take a few listens before I know how I really feel but I'm not slamming the door shut on it like I did everything after the black album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard the new album, its a good hard rock album. Its better than St. Anger, Load and Reload, but not better than anything else. I hate James' vocals. The drums are too high in the mix and sound like shit, why couldn't Lars be the one to get crushed by the tour bus? Kirk can still solo which is a great thing. Rob pretty much added nothing to the album, get Jason back or resurrect Cliff.

I've heard almost the entire album, and I have to say I'm surprised. More about the fact that its good than anything else. A good, MODERN-sounding evolution for the band. I like it.

But it sure as hell ain't no Ride The Lightning II.

[quote name='tcrash247']resurrect Cliff.[/quote]
OMG this. (Anestesia) Pulling Teeth is still my favorite Metallica song.

[quote name='jlseal']OMG this. (Anestesia) Pulling Teeth is still my favorite Metallica song.[/QUOTE]

I play bass and Cliff and Les Claypool are the reasons I started.

[quote name='tcrash247']The drums are too high in the mix and sound like shit, why couldn't Lars be the one to get crushed by the tour bus? Kirk can still solo which is a great thing. Rob pretty much added nothing to the album, get Jason back or resurrect Cliff.[/quote]
I like you. I like you alot.

So no one else got it today? I think its great. I seem to not possess the bitch gene so many seem to have. I feel like it belongs with their other work. Certainly not up with their two or three greatest albums, but it absolutely belongs in the same catalog. If you dont listen to it you're missing on one of the best heavy metal albums in years. It's your loss.

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']The Unforgiven III

is why this album fails[/quote]

Eh, I really enjoyed The Unforgiven III. Think I might be one the only people who like it xD.

The new CD is great, but then again, ANYTHING is better than St. Anger.

Ride The Lightning is better as a total album, Puppets has some weak songs but only 1 or 2. Metallica truly does suck now when you consider how solid their older albums were. It's getting to be increasingly rare that a band puts out an album good from start to finish, let along 3 of them in a row (starting with Kill 'Em All, of course).

I don't think it needs a remastering, I think it needs a new drummer. Lars holds this album back. I'm not saying the guitar playing is mind blowing but damn does Lars suck.

I brought this album in my car today and it sounds like total shit. Its very staticy sounding. I would expect something like this in the 80s, but this is 2008. Come on guys, there is no excuse for this.

bread's done
Back