New Metallica Album!

Dont know if this was posted already...dont really care...just saw it today...passing it along is all...

1219687279176.jpg

[quote name='Will']Dont know if this was posted already...dont really care...just saw it today...passing it along is all...

1219687279176.jpg
[/quote]
And in one picture, we have everything that is wrong with Metallica. They've lost the hunger and anger that fueled their music.

[quote name='jlseal']And in one picture, we have everything that is wrong with Metallica. They've lost the hunger and anger that fueled their music.[/QUOTE]

I know Ive said it on here before in regards to Metallica....alot of bands that come out swinging and kicking ass tend to "fall off" when they sober up....

But youre right...James isnt angry anymore.

METALLICA ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE NEW DOWNLOAD FOR GUITAR HERO III

Burbank, CA-Metallica have announced that it has recently come to our attention that the music that was provided for the creation of Activision's Guitar Hero 3 was a different mastering from our officially released Death Magnetic CD. We at Mission Metallica (www.Missionmetallica.com) are always striving to deliver the best possible product we can to our fans. Therefore, Metallica has now provided Activision with the correct mastered version of our music to be included for all future releases for Guitar Hero 3. Metallica and Activision have agreed to offer a free download for the updated version for the Guitar Hero 3. Please contact the store that you bought the Guitar Hero 3 download from and inform them that you need to exchange it for the updated version. They will need your order number for verification. For your inconvenience you will receive a free download coupon for our new CD Death Magnetic®, an official Metallica Coffee Mug®, and the official Metallica Wall Magnet®. Contact your retailer for all specific details relating to this exclusive new offer.

Death Magnetic is Metallica's first studio album since 2003's multi-platinum St. Anger, which hit No. 1 in 30 countries and has sold nearly six million copies worldwide. Formed in Los Angeles in 1981 by drummer Lars Ulrich and guitarist and vocalist James Hetfield, Metallica has become one of the most influential and commercially successful rock bands in history, having sold 100 million albums worldwide and playing to millions of fans the world over. They have garnered numerous awards and accolades, including seven Grammy Awards, two American Music Awards, and multiple MTV Video Music Awards. In addition, their 1991 album, Metallica, which has sold 15 million copies in the United States, has been awarded the prestigious "Diamond Award" from the Recording Industry Association of America, given to those albums with U.S. sales of 10 million or more.

:rofl:

By the way here an comparison of the official CD to the "incorrect" Guitar Hero version.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRyIACDCc1I[/media]

wow, thanks for the video comparison. That's just damn pathetic how the GH version sounds much better than the retail.

I finally got around to hearing one of the songs on the radio today and I agree...the drums drown everything out just like they did on St. Anger.

They definately need to scale them shits back a bit.

I've heard most of it and I'm with the consensus... it's a lot better than anything they've made in 20 years. I didn't know they still had it in them.

My thoughts:

- The mastering/mixing is pretty godawful. It's more distorted and compressed than even the average modern metal album, which is pretty fucking awful.

- Death Magnetic is definitely a grower.

- I think your enjoyment of it will be based on how much the idea of an "AJFA structure with some Load elements" album excites you. I like the fact that they didn't totally go for MOP Pt. 2, but instead made an album that has elements from multiple phases of their career. The elements that are from Load are much better than what was on Load, and emphasize the good parts of those records (the groovy, vaguely Sabbathy riffs).

- It's their 5th best album, easily, but maybe 6th if you create some sort of mix of the best songs between Load and Reload. Maybe

- Unforgiven III is easily the worst track on the album, and Judas Kiss isn't that great, either.

- Lars's drumming is absolutely dreadful.

- This is better than the last album by the following bands:

• Testament
  • Exodus
  • Megadeth
  • Manowar
  • Slayer (barely, may change my mind on that one)
  • Death Angel

- Exodus's Tempo of the Damned, along with Megadeth's The System has Failed, however, are indeed superior, as is anything by Overkill.
[/list]

[quote name='Demolition Man']:rofl:

By the way here an comparison of the official CD to the "incorrect" Guitar Hero version.[/quote]

Why the fuck would they do that? The album really sounds horrible.. The GH version, on the other hand, is definitely a solid, back-to-basics Metallica sound.

United Abominations is way better than Death Magnetic. The solos on DM are not too great. Maybe it's because Megadeth is one of my favorite bands but I thought UA was a solid album.

Lars' drumming is somehow worse than it was on Kill Em All, which came out 25 years ago. That doesn't make any sense.

[quote name='Blackout']United Abominations is way better than Death Magnetic. The solos on DM are not too great. Maybe it's because Megadeth is one of my favorite bands but I thought UA was a solid album.

Lars' drumming is somehow worse than it was on Kill Em All, which came out 25 years ago. That doesn't make any sense.[/quote]

United Abominations was okay, and "Washington Is Next" is one of my favorite Megadeth songs ever. However, I thought The System Has Failed, as a whole, was way better than UA.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I agree with everything Evan said minus Death Magnetic being better than The Formation of Damnation.[/quote]

That's cause me>you.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']United Abominations was okay, and "Washington Is Next" is one of my favorite Megadeth songs ever. However, I thought The System Has Failed, as a whole, was way better than UA.[/quote]

TSHF had a much more natural sound to me. It fit in nicely with the Youthanasia/CTE sound with the occasional thrashier stuff thrown in here and there. UA sounds like Dave is trying to make Rust in Peace part 2, but he just doesn't have it in him any more and the whole thing comes out sounding dull and forced. With Death Magnetic, it really isn't AJFA 2 or MOP 2. It just sounds like Metallica took everything they've done and created a new sound from it, not try to recreate something that they did 20 years ago.

On a side note; anyone know if the Kirk Hammet or James Hetfield version of Suicide and Redemption in the Guitar Hero 3 mix is the one from the CD?

[quote name='PhrostByte']Why the fuck would they do that? The album really sounds horrible.. The GH version, on the other hand, is definitely a solid, back-to-basics Metallica sound.[/QUOTE]

That "press release" is a joke btw.

[quote name='evanft']

TSHF had a much more natural sound to me. It fit in nicely with the Youthanasia/CTE sound with the occasional thrashier stuff thrown in here and there. UA sounds like Dave is trying to make Rust in Peace part 2, but he just doesn't have it in him any more and the whole thing comes out sounding dull and forced. With Death Magnetic, it really isn't AJFA 2 or MOP 2. It just sounds like Metallica took everything they've done and created a new sound from it, not try to recreate something that they did 20 years ago.

[/quote]

To me TSHF is a good album, but it has too many cheesy radio songs like Of Mice and Men, Die Dead Enough, etc. With UA, seems like Dave at least tried to make it heavier. When you compare it to just two albums ago (World needs a Hero) it's like night and day for me. I like the direction he's taking the band. I'm probably just being biased though because I like the band so much. DM has really crappy solos. At least Dave puts guys in the band who can actually put out something decent.

I just heard the album and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised how good it is. Its better than I expected. Really Kirk Hammett saves this album for me.

The best metal album should be the "Formation of Damnation" by Testament though; I know Evanft disagrees with me but opinions are like assholes - everyone has one.

I'd heard one song I really liked on the album, but hadn't heard the entire thing until someone played it at a party I was at last night. :D It was actually really good and I may pick it up myself now!! :)

[quote name='Shan82']I'd heard one song I really liked on the album, but hadn't heard the entire thing until someone played it at a party I was at last night. :D It was actually really good and I may pick it up myself now!! :)[/QUOTE]

You only heard it via my MySpace profile, right? Told you it was good. :p

bread's done
Back