New Xbox 360 Holiday Bundles 2012 arriving in-stores?

MidnightMetal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Haven't seen anything yet as far as online listing the new Xbox 360 Holiday Bundles, though my Best Buy store had a Microsoft rep come in and bundled/upgraded current consoles with games.

Hopefully these should be dropping throughout everywhere, Best Buy might just have the head start on the bundles. Feel free if anyone spots the bundles at other retailers, I'll update the OP.

The Holiday Bundles for 2012 are as follows:

250Gb Xbox 360 Holiday Bundle $299.99:
  • Forza Motorsport 4 (Disc)
  • Skyrim (Downloadable)
  • 1-Month of Xbox Live (which oddly lists Hulu Plus as well as Epix, not too sure if month trial is included of each service or saying you can use these services with XBL)

4Gb Kinect Xbox 360 Holiday Bundle $299.99:
  • Kinect Adventures (Standard disc with Kinect)
  • Kinect Disneyland Adventures (Disc)

250Gb Kinect Xbox 360 Holiday Bundle $399.99:
  • Kinect Sports (Disc)
  • Dance Central 2 (Downloadable)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sucks that Skyrim is just a download but that is by far the best bundle made so far, can't believe after 7 years it's still $300 though.

[quote name='jms5118'] can't believe after 7 years it's still selling well at $300 though.[/QUOTE]
corrected ;)

[quote name='kart007k']Ok I think I am going to add more to his console war fire. But what exclusives? In 7 years they have pumped out 3 fables games, 4 forza games, 6 Halo games, and 4 Gears games. Where is the innovation? Last game that was most unique was Alan Wake, but that's not technically an exclusive. There are some J-RPGs that are exclusives, but most of them are kind of crappy. My favorite 360 exclusives are Lost Odyssey & PGR.

Most unique Sony PS3 exclusives in 7 years include Uncharted (3 games), Resistance (3 games), Killzone (2 games), God of War (2 games), Infamous (3 games) Metal Gear 4, Demon Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Heavy Rain, Beyond 2 Souls, Wipeout, All stars, Littlebigplanet (3 games), Last of Us, Gran Turismo, Tear Away, Journey, Flower, Flow, Heavenly Sword, Pixel Junk (7 games), Starhawk/Warhawk, Ratchet (3 games), Sly (2 games) Rain, Yakuza, Echocrome, LoccoRocco, Motorstorm (3 games), white knight (2 games), Floklore, and many others.

So, i don't understand the arguments about exclusivity on 360.[/QUOTE]

We can all see your allegiance showing.

[quote name='Desousa93']PS3 offers a superior experience as in you don't have to pay money for the things microsoft is giving you. If the PS3 wasn't 800 at launch and came out first it would have won the race. This is also why I believe the WiiU will do well, it'll be the first "new" console and only 300-350$. Will parents what to buy a 720 or PS4 or buy the first thing on the shelves. If the WiiU really wants to stick it to 'em drop the price 50$ the day the 720 or PS4 comes out.[/QUOTE]

You don't say this explicitly but I think it would be a mistake to assume that you will be able to play online with he PS4 without paying for PS+.

I'm guessing the Wii U does drop $50 next year though possibly before the launches.

They are nuts to not drop the price before the WiiU launch.

Oh and console wars and lists of PS3 exclusives no one gave a crap about when it comes to actual sales don't impress anyone. Flashback to there years ago. This gen is over so move on folks to something else.

[quote name='WV Matsui']This will be great for those wanting Skyrim cheap after Christmas! Those things will flood eBay just like last year!![/QUOTE]
my exact thoughts. Score!

Come on, guys, the quality of Sony exclusives is leaps and bounds ahead of the quality of 360 exclusives, especially now. If you want to start counting from the very beginning, then fine, but in the past 2-3 years, it's not even a contest. I understand the other benefits the 360 may have over the PS3 (with the community seeming to be the most important and biggest one), but this isn't opinion, this is fact.

Since the Xbox 360 is by far the better value than the PS3 or Wii U, they should raise the price to like $400 or $500. Owning an Xbox 360 is being part of an exclusive elite members-only club.

These bundles look familiar. They haven't moved the prices or changed up the bundles much in the past three years, except for the addition of Kinect in 2010. Otherwise it's the same bundle with different games, maybe a game added to the Kinect bundles over the years. I guess if they are the number one selling console they don't have much to worry about, but I wonder if they are leaving a portion of the market untapped with these bundles. If the core gamer didn't pick up the Halo Reach and Fable 3 bundle last year, are they going to be enticed by the Forza 4 and Skyrim bundle this year? You could argue over which games are better, have more value, etc. but I think that's just preference, they haven't moved the needle in terms of value with these bundles. I just wonder if they are leaving money on the table by not tapping the more price sensitive consumer. Despite the success of the 360 in the past few years, I have to wonder if the high price points are a parial cause of the slow sales NPD has been reporting this past year. Normally we would be seeing the consoles reaching out to a larger market with lower priced skus at this point.

[quote name='MidnightMetal']
The Holiday Bundles for 2012 are as follows:

• Forza Motorsport 4 (Disc)
  • Skyrim (Downloadable)
  • 1-Month of Xbox Live (which oddly lists Hulu Plus as well as Epix, not too sure if month trial is included of each service or saying you can use these services with XBL)

• Kinect Disneyland Adventures (Disc)

• Kinect Sports (Disc)
  • Dance Central 2 (Downloadable)
[/QUOTE]

Holiday 2011 Bundles
http://majornelson.com/2011/10/18/xbox-360-250gb-holiday-bundles/

• Fable III
  • Halo: Reach (Downloadable)
  • 3-months of Xbox LIVE Gold

• Kinect Adventures
  • Carnival Games: Monkey See Monkey Do,
  • 3-months of Xbox LIVE Gold

Holiday 2010 Bundles
http://majornelson.com/2010/11/01/xbox-360-holiday-2010-bundle/

• Forza 3
  • Alan Wake (Downloadable)

• Kinect Adventures

• Kinect Adventures

Holiday 2010 Bundles
http://majornelson.com/2009/09/29/xbox-360-holiday-bundles/

120Gb Xbox 360 Holiday Bundle $299.99:
  • Pure
  • Lego Batman

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='msdmoney'] The PS2 saw it's biggest sales when it hit some of the low circa $150-$170 price points, which included bundles. Can the 4gb a la carte sku fill this market when all the marketing is going to be pushing towards the bundles? Despite the success of the 360 in the past few years, I have to wonder if the high price points are a parial cause of the slow sales NPD has been reporting this past year. Normally we would be seeing the consoles reaching out to a larger market with lower priced skus at this point.[/QUOTE]

Given the economy over the last few years, I don't know if you can chalk up price points as to the reason why sales are slowing THIS year (although lower ones would certainly not hurt). In the PS2 era, the razor/razor blade approach was effectively 100% of the business model, so it made sense to push down hardware prices as fast as you could (plus the economy of scale/manufacturing cost reductions). However, nowadays with DLC/Xbox Live/PS+/Hulu/Quiroisty or whatever Sony's music service is called at the moment, there are other revenue streams that mitigate the need to push prices down as fast in previous generations (in other words, getting users who spend alot on these secondary services is more valuable than simply growing the installed base). Also price sensitive customers might be less inclined to use these other revenue sources, so why lose money on hardware sales to solely appeal to those customers?...yeah, higher prices mean you sell less hardware but you make more profit in the long run because you don't subsidize hardware sales so hard and/or make profit on hardware sales.

Similarly, the numerous upgrades in current gen hardware have possibly created a larger secondary market for used hardware as people upgrade...Previously, the upgrades on the PS2 were pretty minor or had limited specific appeal (how many people went out and bought a PS2 network connection? Having one of those built in into the PS2 slim didn't make me want to buy a PS2 Slim when my fat PS2 was still working OK. Numerous limited edition hardware may have also help grow the used market in the current gen as well as people upgrade to LE hardware version and trade in/sell off their still good hardware...I doubt that happen much when Sony put out that white singstar bundle. So while retail prices points for new hardware have been fairly stationary, the used market is possibly filing a larger role in the price sensitive part of the market than in previous generations. Also the use of buy hardware get a gift card promos seem to be much more common than they were in the PS2 era, and while those aren't a price cut, they do ease the hurt a bit.

I'm still trying to figure out the point of this thread. Though I really just want to ask why some people are arguing over Sony vs. Microsoft, but arguing implies there being a resolution at some point or another or a side conceding.

Can I just jump in and say that WiiU will be purchased day one!! Rayman Origins was the best game of this generation and I cant wait to play the new one.

Bardockun -

I think the initial point was just pointing out prices on xbox bundles. After that it turned in to people unable to realize that the Wii is the best thing since sliced bread. WiiU is even better tham sliced bread.

I think it's a very real possibility that these holiday bundle prices in mid-September will be on sale $100 cheaper by mid-November. Or at the very least come with a $50 GC and an extra controller. BF is still over 2 months away.

I understand that the companies like bundles because they can include a "free" game to keep the price higher, but I agree with some of the implied posts here that I think the companies would be better served to offer a cheaper SKU with no game to get more people buying the system. If there's no game included, then they'd almost be guaranteed a sale of at least one game at that point (except for replacement consoles or online only users), plus they'd look better price-wise against the new WiiU launch.

[quote name='kart007k']Why are we still paying $300-400 for nearly 7 year old console w/ extra online fees? I mean Sony is selling a redesigned PS3 with Blu-ray player, 30 day PSN Plus, Uncharted 3:GOTY, DUST:541 (W/ $30 DLC voucher) and free online features like Netflix, Prime Instant Video, multiplayer support, and much more for $270. PS3 has only been out for 6 years too and I am even happy with the prices that they are charging.

I don't see how can ppl justify 360 prices? I think these consoles should have $100 price drops. This is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Isn't the answer obvious?

It's called supply and demand and clearly the demand for the Xbox 360 is higher than the PS3 in the US. Sometimes it isn't just about the features, because if you count exclusives, features and etc... most people already own a device that does all that better than a console, namely a PC. It is about the experience, and the Xbox 360 experience is considered worth the cost, despite a significantly cheaper alternative to many people.

Sorry, it is what it is!

So are there any special edition consoles coming up besides the Halo 4 one? I'll probably be looking to get a backup box, but I don't want that Forza shit or anything Kinect.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Nope only Halo.[/QUOTE]

It's bullshit the option to get the console by itself disappears at xmas time. I'll already have a copy of Halo, but I might go ahead and get the console too. Depends on how well my Gears 3 slim stands up to grinding out Gears 3 next month while I'm awaiting the H4 release.

[quote name='Viper187']It's bullshit the option to get the console by itself disappears at xmas time. I'll already have a copy of Halo, but I might go ahead and get the console too. Depends on how well my Gears 3 slim stands up to grinding out Gears 3 next month while I'm awaiting the H4 release.[/QUOTE]The special edition consoles were available at various retailers after the holidays, including the Gears 3 console, the MW3 console and previous ones as well. Usually at some reduced prices as well.

The non-holiday consoles (Splinter Cell, FF XIII, RE5, Halo 3, etc) also hung around for a while after release, decreasing in price as they stayed out in the retail channel.

[quote name='shrike4242']The special edition consoles were available at various retailers after the holidays, including the Gears 3 console, the MW3 console and previous ones as well. Usually at some reduced prices as well.

The non-holiday consoles (Splinter Cell, FF XIII, RE5, Halo 3, etc) also hung around for a while after release, decreasing in price as they stayed out in the retail channel.[/QUOTE]

I know. I got the Gears one for $350 in March. I'm hoping Amazon or someone will offer a $50-75 gift card with the consoles or something at xmas like other years.

Warning to cheapies: the Forza 4 in the upcoming holiday bundle will include the first disk but not the second. Why should you care? There are a bunch of extra tracks and cars that they couldn't fit on one disk which they were forced to burn onto another. Not having this content may exclude you from certain online games or lobbies.

You've been warned...

Yeah I bought one of these bundles with a digital skyrim and physical copy of forza at best buy like 2 weeks ago at my best buy for $250 (they let me price match Walmart otherwise it was $299). Traded in my copy of forza for $26 ($13 base) so basically got it for $224

[quote name='Travman93']I have them in the BB I work at. 250 GB console (No Kinect) with a physical copy of Forza 4, a download voucher for Skyrim, and a month of Xbox Live for $299.99. Plus if you buy a console you get a year of @Gamer for free.[/QUOTE]

What the heck when did they start offering a free year of @gamer for buying this? I bought mine a couple weeks ago and there was no mention of a free @gamer membership

Should we assume bestbuy will also have this 250 bundle for $199 on black friday? Surprised the price of the console held out since last year. At least this means forza 4 and skyrim prices will probably drop to the $10 range new soon.

[quote name='scottman']Should we assume bestbuy will also have this 250 bundle for $199 on black friday? Surprised the price of the console held out since last year. At least this means forza 4 and skyrim prices will probably drop to the $10 range new soon.[/QUOTE]
Skyrim comes as a digital download code. I doubt many people will be able to make use of it with slow or capped internet connections. The game is over 7GB and probably even more due to the numerous gigantic patches. You might be able to find the download code cheap but I think physical copies will hold there value.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Makes since for Wal-Mart at least. We dropped the older systems $50 each (with the exception of the 4GB standard model.)[/QUOTE]
My store has them in stock already so that is a yes :)

[quote name='htz']Skyrim comes as a digital download code. I doubt many people will be able to make use of it with slow or capped internet connections. The game is over 7GB and probably even more due to the numerous gigantic patches. You might be able to find the download code cheap but I think physical copies will hold there value.[/QUOTE]

The patches aren't that big, and you only ever have to download one (which encompasses everything). I think Microsoft limits how big patches can be.

FYI when MS does the holiday bundles, they ship GS stores games/codes to put in their older system stock and stickers to show the holiday bundle goodies so you might want to try there also.

[quote name='scottman']Should we assume bestbuy will also have this 250 bundle for $199 on black friday? Surprised the price of the console held out since last year. At least this means forza 4 and skyrim prices will probably drop to the $10 range new soon.[/QUOTE]

I got the Holiday bundle last year for around that price. Included Halo REACH and Fable 2....it was a good upgrade for myself.

bread's done
Back