New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

[quote name='Zyzomys']Anyone remember the Live problems last Christmas? I really do hope MS ramp up their servers before everything crashes this year.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I'm fine with it :whistle2:D 'Cause last year they gave us a free game...except it was a crappy free game (at least I didn't like it). Was glad they actually treated Silver members okay too for once.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Hey, I'm fine with it :whistle2:D 'Cause last year they gave us a free game...except it was a crappy free game (at least I didn't like it). Was glad they actually treated Silver members okay too for once.[/QUOTE]

I'd be fine with it too, since I loved Undertow. Although there is no XBLA game out there as good that I don't already have that they can compensate me for.

Anyway, I read an interview where someone on the Live team said they made massive preparations this year and have a team working through the holidays to make sure it won't happen.

I don't know if this has been asked already, but does anyone know of a way to make it so that Spotlight is not the first channel to appear when starting up the 360/NXE? I'd rather it default to My Xbox or something a little more useful...

[quote name='hack']I don't know if this has been asked already, but does anyone know of a way to make it so that Spotlight is not the first channel to appear when starting up the 360/NXE? I'd rather it default to My Xbox or something a little more useful...[/QUOTE]

It's been pondered several times. The only way to do it is to set it up so it doesn't automatically sign into live when you turn on the xbox.

[quote name='thrustbucket']It's been pondered several times. The only way to do it is to set it up so it doesn't automatically sign into live when you turn on the xbox.[/quote]

Sadness. I rather like being signed in automatically...
There's a trade-off for everything I guess...

Thanks!

It's annoying, but at least you can arrow up to get to the real interface :whistle2:/

I love how they went on about LESS ADS!!!! only instead, it actually spits you right out on a whole section for them.

[quote name='Wolfpup']It's annoying, but at least you can arrow up to get to the real interface :whistle2:/

I love how they went on about LESS ADS!!!! only instead, it actually spits you right out on a whole section for them.[/quote]

I rather like how the ads are integrated into the UI rather than just throwing it on every unused corner like the blades. At least they don't look like ads. And now, they seem to be turning every ad into a contest, and I don't mind the chance to win free stuff.

[quote name='hack']I rather like how the ads are integrated into the UI rather than just throwing it on every unused corner like the blades. At least they don't look like ads. And now, they seem to be turning every ad into a contest, and I don't mind the chance to win free stuff.[/quote]

I have to agree, at lest with them integrated if you don't like them just keep flippin through the windows. It's not on my pretty dashboard background anymore and its a nice change.

I too have had really slow times waiting for things to pop up for available downloads on the specific game you're looking at but I believe it relates to my fast but high ping satellite ISP.

I just went through all my themes and the ones I used to hate, movie promos, are actually cool because the guide background covers up the title and date advertisement. Even though I have premium themes, bought the Halo Wars and Castle Crashers ones, I more than never look at my friends list through the NXE, due to having to wait for avatar & game info, so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found some cool things out that may or may not have been covered.

I brought my hard drive to use on my brother-in-law's xbox. I have NXE, he doesn't.

When I put the hard drive in it automatically updated his xbox to NXE. He didn't have to connect to Live to do it.

I also could not access the installed games from his xbox. You can only get installed games from the hard drive when you use the xbox you initially installed it on.

Ok. So I migrated my Live account to my new console (the one I created my account on originally died after less than 1 day) but I'm still getting the error that "this download is assigned to another console" when I purchase a game through xbox.com. The games seem to be working offline but I really would like to figure this out so I don't have to manually download things. Any thoughts?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Unfortunately, you do have to re-download everything.[/QUOTE]
I think you're misunderstanding my problem. These are on new purchases. Is there no way to have the downloads automatically sent to my 360 just because I created the account on a different console? If that's the case, that's lame.

[quote name='Chase']I cleared my cache, and the freezes have stopped. For now.[/quote]

How were you able to do this? Any consequences on clearing the cache. Never done it before, not even when I had the blades.

[quote name='Wez455']can i use netflix using my harddrive on someone elses 360? if not thats fucking gay![/quote]I dont think so. I tried to at a friend's house and it said that Netflix is currently unavailable or some crap like that. I'm going to try it again soon, though.

[quote name='jdeluis']"Performing this function will also clear any software updates."

So this would be the only negative about clearing the cache?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It isn't a big deal if you are always connected to live. You'll just be prompted next time you play the games to download them.

How can I improve the video quality of Netflix on my X360?

Im using a 2wire with SBC Yahoo DSL. Im also using a wireless network adaptor. If i used an ethernet connection would it be faster?

Thanks

Like the others, I jumped when I read the post about the 120 gb hard drive being 100 bucks (and the 15 off coupon) at CC and got myself a unit in order to be ready for the NXE. Installing games on it to improve load times and reduce the noise from the system. Anyways, lately I have been noticing a LOT and I do mean A LOT of lock ups when ever I hit the guide button (X).

In one session alone I get like 5-8 guide lock ups for about 10-15 seconds before restoring to normal. I can talk to others but can't move anything. Does anyone think it has something to do with installing all those games on the hard drive (down to 15 gigs) causing the NXE to have problems or does it sound like my 360 is going to red ring soon?

The problem seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Anyone have similar problems?

Thanks

I didn't start having guide issues until late December and its been pretty annoying since then. It sounds like I am having the same issue as you, locks up for 10-15 seconds, happens with games installed or not. I was just thinking it had something to do with holiday traffic but I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

It's not installed games, it's NXE itself. I know a few people who were in the beta, and everything about NXE was instant according to them.

It's just the sheer amount of people using NXE now. It locks up and freezes just like the blades did.

i have a 20gb hdd with no game installs and the thing locks up all the time, its usually when pressing the guide button, i think nxe is nothing but a big marketing scheme, the old blade system was better.

I got a 120gb HD for Christmas and have it about half full. I have been getting a good amount of lock ups as well. It seems to be an NXE issue (as already stated) and not a hard drive issue.

*phew* Although it's fustrating to have this happen during every session, at least it isn't leading to a RRoD, which would really not be good.

Would a hdd cache clearing help with this...

And for that matter how would you even do that in the NXE now?

Cache clearing works the same way now. I just did it yesterday. Go to your storage devices, hit "Y" is see its properties then hit X, X, LB, RB, X, X. You'll get a prompt about proceeding with the maintanence. Select "yes" and you're done.

The only issues I've run into since I recently switched to a 120 gb HDD, installed games, and NXE is more crashes within games. Fallout 3 (surprisingly) never crashed back when it was not installed and running off a regular, old, late 2005 manufactured Pro 360.

My Elite is taking about a full minute to boot and display the menus which is pathetic. It used to be only a couple of seconds.

I wish Microsoft gave us the ability to go back to the old dashboard. I'll gladly give up the ability to install games if I could get rid of the piece of shit that is NXE.

Is it possible to put themes on with the NXE update? Just wondering.

I most likely won't be installing games to the hard drive as I find I can wait a couple more seconds to play a game, I have a 20 Gig HD and I find it to be a waste of storage.

Getting a few more seconds actually can help, it gives you more time to prepare, and do something else.

It's not about load times-though in some games it can drastically improve performance. Installing to drive is primarily to fix the 360's insanely loud-ness, and has a side benefit of not using your drive so much.

OK, I cannot find anything on this in here, so has anyone heard if they are making any headway on the HDMI issues of not playing sound and the display setting being messed up every since the NXE update?

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Still with my 20 gig hd and clearing the cache helped a lot with those hang ups/lock ups/freezes.[/quote]

It didn't help me at all with my 120 gig. I hate NXE.

[quote name='Cameron4All']OK, I cannot find anything on this in here, so has anyone heard if they are making any headway on the HDMI issues of not playing sound and the display setting being messed up every since the NXE update?[/quote]
...There's an issue with it? My 360 is connected via HDMI and it works fine for me.

[quote name='YodaEXE']...There's an issue with it? My 360 is connected via HDMI and it works fine for me.[/quote]

Yea, there is an issue but it does not effect everybody. (it also effects display settings)
I have tried the fix that they have listed there but it does not work for me.
I tried emailing xbox customer service but it was like pulling teeth and it took 6, yes 6 emails to them just to get them to understand that I was trying to use an HDMI cable. (I know, I know... 1st mistake was emailing instead of calling, but it was easier to email for my work hours) Finally they said for me to put in a repair ticket. That is not the solution to the actual problem. I think they just got tired of me emailing them.

They have a couple more stories on that site too.
12-02-08 and 12-17-08

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes, a few simple freezing (and not even FREEZING freezing, just locking up for about 20 sec) and people jump all over NXE like it's the work of the devil.

The blades had issues, too, and in fairness to MS, do we not remember this time LAST year? You know, when things weren't working AT ALL? Honestly, given the huge influx of new users, the more people on because of no school/work, and launching a whole new dashboard less than a month ago, I think things are going amazingly well at the moment. Like I said, the sheer fact that we can even USE Live right now is a step above previous holiday seasons.

Just my opinion, though.

People seem to be in a rush now, and I don't understand why. You know if we all took stuff a bit more slowly, maybe there would be less problems. Sure people want to do this and that, but we have to remember that everything and everyone has a limit to what they can and can't do.

I personally am not having any problems with the Guide Button lagging. The NXE is still pretty new, so they still have to work out the bugs and glitches, I know you've probably heard this many times, but it's the truth.

It's feels like i've been using the NXE for ages now it's pretty solid. I just wish the the spotlight channel could be hidden like the welcome one could be.

[quote name='007']Yikes, a few simple freezing (and not even FREEZING freezing, just locking up for about 20 sec) and people jump all over NXE like it's the work of the devil.
[/QUOTE]

Let's see...

Did I ever have any issues at all with the old blade system in the three years prior to NXE? No.

Does my Elite now take a minute to boot up into NXE? Yes.

Did it do that when NXE first came out? No.

Are others experiencing similar issues all of a sudden? Yes.

Am I having any other problems with my Xbox after the horrible boot-up time? No.

Would it be too unreasonable to blame NXE for these problems? No.

So, yeah, I think I can safely justify my reasoning behind blaming this piece-of-shit menu interface that Microsoft should never have bothered with in the first place.

All I can say is, you're either happy with it or not. I'm actually quite happy with it, and I enjoy it more then the old system, but that's really just my opinion.

The old blade system was nice, and it seemed a bit easier to navigate, but I can't say NXE is terrible, I find it to be nicer then the old blades.

So in other words, I'm not going to complain about NXE.

bread's done
Back