New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

crap I want the 20 gig hardrive but I don't have a credit card :whistle2:( I have a arcade model with 256 meg memory card

I guess im going to get the free 512 mb memory then buy a used hardrive from someone in the trading
forums

* UPDATE

its only giving me this option :whistle2:(

a used hardrive and three months of live for 29.99 :whistle2:(

Keep in mind, they're doing this so that customers who can't do the mandatory update can still use their system. I wonder how much this is costing them... since they didn't made the HDD standard due to system costs on the original Xbox.

I'm going to get the 512MB memory card for my brothers Arcade. I figure he can put it in his slot 2 and use his first memory card for game saves and such. I don't trust the refurbed 20 GB HDD...

cool deal by microsoft, but this does me no good since i bought the real system and not the arcade. sorry, but i can't help but to insult arcade owners.

Sweet deal. MS isn't going to lose much if naything on the refurb 20 gig drives. Maybe $10? Memory Cards I have no idea, their markup must be huge on those.

Man this thing is smart. I have a core but I think it checks to see if you have downloaded a ton of stuff. Like I have I have and says yeah your full of it and wont let you go through. They wanted to make sure no one abused this.

Via Kotaku...

It emerged last week that Microsoft's NXE upgrade would require 128MB of free space and might therefore be out of reach to some Arcade owners.

Microsoft promised that some kind of 'storage solution' was in the works and has just released details of an upgrade program to ensure under-specced consoles can receive the dashboard replacement.

www.xboxstorageupgrade.com recommends either clearing some space by removing saved content or entering your Serial Number and Console Id to see if you are eligible for either a free 512 MB memory card or a 20 GB hard-drive for $19.99. We have had unconfirmed rumors that the hard drives are refurbs. Microsoft has been contacted for comment.

Enjoy the New Xbox Experience and Xbox LIVE![Xbox Storage Upgrade - thanks to Magnum1024k for the tip]

The site can be found by going here and following the link. The free memory card is only available to owners of 360s that lack storage devices or included memory cards too small to contain the update. In addition, the HDD is bundled with 3 months of LIVE Gold, so the cost is actually $30.

BTW, first deal post, so forgive any screw-ups. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I JUST came here to post that and you beat me by minutes! :p

Anyway, REALLY good deal for arcade/core owners.

You might want to add that you can get the 20GB HDD for $20 OR the 20GB HDD with 3 months of live for $30.

Here we go, 512MB Memory Cards and 20GB HDD's will be selling for dirt cheap within weeks. I guess I should sell my spare 20GB HDD now.

[quote name='CombatFrog']I JUST came here to post that and you beat me by minutes! :p

Anyway, REALLY good deal for arcade/core owners.

You might want to add that you can get the 20GB HDD for $20 OR the 20GB HDD with 3 months of live for $30.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see that option, I thought they forced the LIVE on you. That's pretty exciting, I'll have to look it up.

This is great news for me. I recently got an Arcade because I was too much of a miser to spend the extra for the HDD. Guess I lucked out.

[quote name='Quintox']What does this mean?[/QUOTE]

Meaning that in my case, I got an Arcade unit which includes a 256 card. Since the update only needs 128, they didn't offer a free card to me, only the discounted HDD.

Sorry for the poor phrasing.

[quote name='SteveDaWonder']Cheap HDDs?

I feel screwed. I want to upgrade from a 20 to a 60.[/quote]

me too Ive had my xbox since launch wheres my option to upgrade HDD

That explains why Target was selling these on clearance for 24 dollars if you were lucky to find one. HAHAHAHA Sounds like a good deal and Microsoft is doing the right thing here. You wpild be stupid not to take the 20 gig HDD over the 512 MB

Correct me if I am wrong but if you have a core system, you can get a free memory card or the hard drive for $20. Arcade owners can only opt for the 20gb hard drive for $30 with 3 months of xbox live. I think the options are unique to each console owner.

I owned a premium and bought an arcade so I've already got a 20gb hard drive. I'd be tempted to buy another one except I really want a 60gb; the 20gb drive just isn't enough space for the game installs I want to do so I'm not seeing the 20gb as worth buying even if it'd only cost me $30. Memory card? I'd be down for a free memory card but having snagged a bunch of 64mb and 512mb cards for $5 a piece (thank you sears/sears essential/walmart clearance sales) I don't need another memory card.

I'm lost here. I have two arcades but I'm not eligible. I have under 100Mb free on each memory card. How is this thing determining "Congratulations! According to our records you have the necessary hardware and storage space to enjoy the new Xbox Experience"? Is it possible because my friend brought his HDD over for Rock Band 2 and connected it once that now my console is stained by that drive or what?

[quote name='foundation']I'm lost here. I have two arcades but I'm not eligible. I have under 100Mb free on each memory card. How is this thing determining "Congratulations! According to our records you have the necessary hardware and storage space to enjoy the new Xbox Experience"? Is it possible because my friend brought his HDD over for Rock Band 2 and connected it once that now my console is stained by that drive or what?[/QUOTE]

Looks that way. Some folks at Joystiq are saying that MS won't offer an upgrade for their Arcades that have (or apparently, have had) a HDD hooked up.

Godamn, so there really is no point in getting a Pro or Elite huh?

Wait... won't games have forced installs now? And won't that need more than 20GBs (sooner or later)?

I got an Arcade and I was offered $30 for a refurbished 20 GB and 3 months of Gold. I'd really prefer a 60 or 120 GB, but this is too good to pass up.

What, you mean on this board specifically? It's called merging/pruning to keep the clutter and redundancy under control. Threads for this topic were started like 5 times this afternoon alone.

Wow, I bought a Core way back during the Tower clearance sale (RIP Tower) and a hard drive, but I think I may get myself an extra HD for the day I may end up with another 360... that way if I see any awesome deals on the Arcade I can jump on them.

Is there a time limit to when you have to take advantage of this?

[quote name='kathos']Godamn, so there really is no point in getting a Pro or Elite huh?

Wait... won't games have forced installs now? And won't that need more than 20GBs (sooner or later)?[/quote]
The installs are optional, not forced.

How do I find my console id if I can't turn on the system (3 red rings)? I see an id number by the serial number on the back but there is way more than the 12 digits needed. And even if I take out the serial # which is in the id # as well that only leaves me eight digits.

i have an arcade console, punched in my serial # and console id and this is the message i get

"Congratulations! According to our records you have the necessary hardware and storage space to enjoy the new Xbox Experience."

that's weird i didn't qualify, according to my records my system came with a 256mb memory unit, not sure if there was an arcade console that didn't come with a memory unit, oh well

[quote name='kathos']Godamn, so there really is no point in getting a Pro or Elite huh?

Wait... won't games have forced installs now? And won't that need more than 20GBs (sooner or later)?[/quote]

No not FORCED you have the option to install it or not unlike the ps3.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']i have an arcade console, punched in my serial # and console id and this is the message i get

"Congratulations! According to our records you have the necessary hardware and storage space to enjoy the new Xbox Experience."

that's weird i didn't qualify, according to my records my system came with a 256mb memory unit, not sure if there was an arcade console that didn't come with a memory unit, oh well[/quote]

you can load it onto that memory unit but its going to take up over half of it.

I read on another forum that they can read the amount of space available for this, so you may want to try and fill up your memory stick/HDD with demo's and then try.

bread's done
Back