New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

When is this new look for the dash and xbl supposed to be out? all i hear are rumors. can anyone confirm anything? i'm just eager to see what it will look like

sorry if there's already a thread for this. didn't look too hard for one....:roll:

The only official confirmation so far is that you will be enjoying the new xbox experience this holiday season. I don't believe they have ever announced a date on updates until it's very near (within a week) or it's already live.

Personally (just based on the more believable sources and past updates), I think it will be out during the last week of November.

As many of you know with the new dash coming out in November MS has added the option to copy your game onto you hard drive for faster load times
Game Trailers.com did a little Hard Drive to DVD comparison to see the difference in the load times.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/275585.html

Looks promising from many aspects, for me elder scrolls 4 is sure to be loading a lot faster come November. But this is still nothing new and just another example of MS copying the home brew community as this style of game loading is all to familiar from the Xbox 1 days of booting them from your hard drive but still a great add-on for many

I'm sure this is going to help Oblivion and Fallout 3. But personally I just want to get rid of the disc spinning noise. Don't really care for slightly-faster loadtimes.

[quote name='lordwow']Maybe add a question mark to your title...?[/QUOTE]

Seriously. I came in here thinking there was a definite date.

[quote name='Zowsky']well isn't the new Scene it suppouse to be using the Avatar system and thats scheduled to come out this month?[/quote]

As we've seen with Fable II, developers aren't against disabling features on launch day, and re-enabling them at a later date.

~HotShotX

Not as fast as I thought it would be, but loading doesn't irk me too much. It's the less stress on the laser I'm looking forward too. I'm sure my 360 will enjoy it's vacation from reading the CoD4 disc over and over...

iirc, it should only help older games (first gen. most likely) when it comes to loading 'cause newer games are already optimized for loading

Unsurprisingly, not a huge improvement but doesn't hurt to have the feature. The minor improvement is nice for frequently played games + the lack of disc noise as eswat mentions.

It's confirmed to be November because a Rock Band 2 ad on Xbox Live says something along the lines of "Enjoy the new Xbox Experience this November".

[quote name='ninja dog']Hate it how they say Fall and mean the last day of Fall.[/QUOTE]

They have till December 21st before they miss their Fall window. Have a hard time seeing this thing not being released by then

[quote name='cochesecochese']The fact that it only helps loading times with older games is fine with me. I have a huge backlog to plow through.[/QUOTE]

I picked up a 120gb drive over the summer just so I can do the installs. It sucks you still have to use the disc but it will cut wear and tear on the system way down.

Is this going to cut down the noise from the DVD drive, I feel like I have a 747 in my fucking living room. Wife wont let me bring the Elite into the bedroom because its so loud, thankfully my PS3 is quite so I can still game with that.

[quote name='gindias']Is this going to cut down the noise from the DVD drive, I feel like I have a 747 in my fucking living room. Wife wont let me bring the Elite into the bedroom because its so loud, thankfully my PS3 is quite so I can still game with that.[/QUOTE]
Well...uh, yeah, not using the DVD drive for games would cut the noise down. But just playing off the disc like normal, no, there won't be a difference.

Also, you need to tell your wife to invest in some earplugs. It's loud but it's not so loud that it should be banned from a room.

[quote name='fart_bubble']They have till December 21st before they miss their Fall window. Have a hard time seeing this thing not being released by then[/QUOTE]

They have since changed their official stance to "Before year end" not fall. Anyone think they are holding onto this for when PS Home launches?

[quote name='hufferstl']They have since changed their official stance to "Before year end" not fall. Anyone think they are holding onto this for when PS Home launches?[/QUOTE]

Major Nelson said that they went with using end of the year because Fall lasts different periods for different parts of the world (makes sense). And really, between what I said and "end of the year" is a matter of what, 2 weeks?

Awesome. I was honestly just hoping that the HDD access would prolong the life of my system. I've put the 360 aside until the fall update for exactly that reason.

My last 3 360s died due to DVD drive failures, so...

[quote name='aniousjoe']iirc, it should only help older games (first gen. most likely) when it comes to loading 'cause newer games are already optimized for loading[/quote]

I'd love to try this with Oblivion, that has really long load times so I hope it works well with this feature.

[quote name='Corvin']I picked up a 120gb drive over the summer just so I can do the installs. It sucks you still have to use the disc but it will cut wear and tear on the system way down.[/quote]

Vastly. I also opted for the elite just for installs. I'm really excited for this feature.

A bunch of preview videos are linked from the current dashboard now. Most are the ones you may have already watched on the xbox.com site.

Have had several people express a real interest in the netflix streaming feature of the new XBE when I told them about it. With several gaming on PS2 systems, I imagine this feature plus recent price drop will result in a good season for Microsoft.

[quote name='fart_bubble']I just hope that game show channel is launched on day one[/QUOTE]

That is also I've been looking forward to as well! Though I don't see it on launch day ready...I dunno, maybe the week after...hopefully I'm wrong

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']That is also I've been looking forward to as well! Though I don't see it on launch day ready...I dunno, maybe the week after...hopefully I'm wrong[/QUOTE]

If its late, hopefully they will still keep the whole free aspect of it that they said when they announced it

The one dis advantage of this whole HDD loading is that i smell exploits in the works. You may need to have the disc to verify the game, but by allowing a item to run freely from the HDD with just a media check to verify its contents can only lead to more exploits on the system not to mention i am sure this will pave the way for more a**holes to mod games like halo and COD4 with it running from the HDD... only time will tell

Yeah, Novemeber 19th is a decent date. I just installed PlayOn on my Pc which stream Netflix/youTube/Hulu and more to my 360/PS3....there is a 45 day trial, then $30 after that. I may not pay the fee now since I will be getting the Netflix for free via MS. I have a feeling it will be free by some other 3rd party soon also.

Good to know the date. I may just wait to grab the new update if Live seems to busy.

What Microsoft can do is let people download it earlier, and would only work when November 19 comes along (similar to what Steam does with games).

[quote name='Over easy']Good to know the date. I may just wait to grab the new update if Live seems to busy.

What Microsoft can do is let people download it earlier, and would only work when November 19 comes along (similar to what Steam does with games).[/quote]

don't think that would work since this new dashboard update is probably going to overwrite the existing dashboard.

That is a little late, I think. It should be there for Gears 2. Also, if you have an Arcade w/o a Hard Drive, you have to constantly re-download the update every time you turn on your 360. People are going to be pissed because of that.

[quote name='KingBroly']That is a little late, I think. It should be there for Gears 2. Also, if you have an Arcade w/o a Hard Drive, you have to constantly re-download the update every time you turn on your 360. People are going to be pissed because of that.[/quote]

yes and no if its anything like the last dash update from the spring it will most likely be written to the internal memory of the CPU dash storage area once more giving us a different kernel version number and dash version number, and the guys over at xboxhacker something new to play with.

bread's done
Back