New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

[quote name='elwood731']This is not entirely true. An argument can still be made by the developers of a game like Resistance that because their game takes up 20GB or whatever it does, that they can install 8GB of that and simply access the other 12GB from the disc. That's something that can not be done using DVD.

The installing of games to the hard drive is more ominous for disc based media in general, than for the Blu-ray disc. This is the second step they're taking towards a day where you can only download your games directly from Microsoft and Sony.[/QUOTE]
Why would you want to do that? If you can't get it below 18GB, you can simply use 3 DVDs, download 11GB from the first two disks, and then access the remaining 9 from the third. You could probably do that in the same time it takes a blu-ray drive to download the 8GB you suggested, and have the benefit over said example as there would be even fewer load times. Of course, it's just as easy to download the whole 20GB, and then do away with any need to load anything from the disk at all.

Of course, there's an entirely separate issue with Hard Drive size. As long as Microsoft is stupid enough to charge ridiculous amounts for tiny amount of hard drive space, it will be a burden to have to download large amounts of memory to a small disk.

But that's an entirely separate issue with Hard Drives. Going on Newegg I immediately see a 1TB hard drive for under $200. A 500GB hard drive could fit 20 extraordinarily large games on it and still have space for XBLA games and the like, and could be had for around $75, with per gigabyte cost going down and down exponentially as time progresses.

[quote name='strdr4']man. I want the new xbox version now. Playing without the jet engine will be nice plus less heat in my room.[/QUOTE]

DVD drives generate almost no heat. Not compared to the CPU and GPU.

per gaf

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12063385&postcount=1

About the avatars, Larry says: "If you don't like the avatars, they're not required. You can use your gamer pictures. E adds: "Your existing gamer pictures and themes still work. They're not going away." Pretty good news I guess, for some.

They also talk about HDD game installs. According to Larry it works really "slick" with multi-disc games. E says that if you have a four disc game for example, you can choose to only install two of the discs to your HDD.

And yes, the LIVE party system will work with every Xbox 360 game that supports multiplayer. And as Toothpick points out, you can chat with 8 people in your party and be in different games.

I think the avatars are ok...I mean, hey...they look a hell of a lot better than the miis.

I'll probably get one depending on what all they affect. I don't want to associate these cartoony things with my games, like I hate how in Zelda on the wii your stupid mii shows up in the saved game area. It's an eye sore and is out of place.

However, if it's just going to dance around my dashboard I think it could be cool. I am not going to pay any money for clothes to put on it though. Charging for crap like that is wack.

They can charge for what they want, and some of the Wii-type crowd will buy it. Good for them.

But I do like the prospect of unlocking clothes/props for your avatar with achievements. Could get really cool.

[quote name='thrustbucket']They can charge for what they want, and some of the Wii-type crowd will buy it. Good for them.

But I do like the prospect of unlocking clothes/props for your avatar with achievements. Could get really cool.[/quote]

Yeah that's right, I remember hearing about that. It would be sweet to get them some spartan or gears armor.

Rumored avatar customization:
Rumored Avatar Customization Options
Hats:

• Black Baseball Cap
  • Baseball Cap
  • Flat Cap
Hair:

• Side Parting Hair (and with hat)
  • Slicked Parted Hair (and with hat)
  • Clean Cut Hair (and with hat)
  • Compact Hair (and with hat)
  • Crew Cut Hair (and with hat)
  • Slicked Hair (and with hat)
  • Ponytail Hair (and with hat)
  • Swept Hair (and with hat)
  • Flat Hair (and with hat)
  • The Captain Cut
  • Old Hair (and with hat)
  • Bun Hair
  • Thick Hair
  • Pig Tails
  • Hair Layered with Fringe Hair Tied On Top
  • Bob with Fringe Hair
  • Spiked Hair
  • Studious Hair Number 66
  • Shaped Hair
  • Basin Hair
Eyes:

• Happy Eyes
  • Sharp Eyes
  • Half Moon Eyes
  • Focused Eyes
  • Harmless Eyes
  • Passive Eyes
  • Relaxed Eyes
  • Surprised Eyes
  • Soft Lashes
  • Restful Eyes
  • Monday Morning Eyes
  • Bold Eyes
  • Soft Eyes
  • Funky Eyes
  • Wild Eyes
  • Comforting Eyes
  • Droopy Eyes
  • Content Eyes
  • Slim Eyes
  • Excited Eyes
  • Eagle Eyes
  • Polite Eyes
  • Rested Eyes
  • Puppy Eyes
  • Rounded Eyes
  • Strong Eyes
  • Boxed Eyes
  • Thin Eyes
  • Studious Eyes
  • Tranquil Eyes
  • Dark Eyes
  • Dot Eyes
  • Tilted Eyes
  • Delicate Eyes
  • Almond Eyes
  • Wavy Eyes
  • Thick Lashed
  • Eyes Wide
  • Awake Eyes
  • Calm Eyes
  • Slender Eyes
  • Kind Eyes
  • Drowsy Eyes
  • Acorn Eyes
  • Sunset Eyes
  • Genial Eyes
  • No Features
Eyebrows:

• Normal
  • Straight
  • Arched
  • Studious
  • Curvy
  • Large
  • Familiar
  • Thick
  • Small
  • Angled
  • Big and Flat
  • Delicate
  • Small and Thin
  • Short and Thick
  • Straight and Thick
  • Half Moon
  • Soft
  • Strong
  • Monobrow
Ears:

• Fantasy Ears
  • Butterfly Ears
  • Round Ears
  • Elven Ears
  • Long Ears
  • Prominent Ears
  • Shapes Ears
  • Small Ears
  • Spiked Ears
Nose:

• Define
  • Boxer's Nose
  • Curved
  • Drooped
  • Angled
  • Hooked
  • Bulbous
  • Large
  • Sharp
  • Perked
  • Rough
  • Rounded
  • Small
  • Straight
  • Long
  • Tiny
  • Wide
  • Soft
Mouths:

• Spiked Puzzles
  • Gentle
  • Small and Rounded
  • Curvy
  • Deep Lips
  • Smirk
  • Grin
  • Vibrant
  • Unhappy
  • Cheeky
  • Lined
  • Cute
  • Fearsome
  • Tongue Out
  • Teethy
  • Full
  • Happy
  • Open
  • Bunny
  • Vampire
  • Wide
  • Small
  • Locked Teeth
  • Glamor
  • Thin Lipped
  • Square
  • Thick Lipped
Chins:

• Jaw Stubble
  • Large
  • Thin
  • Long
  • Chiseled
  • Rounded
  • Sharp
  • Square
  • Small
  • Wide
Accessories:

• Funky Shades
  • Hip Watch
  • Sports Wristband
  • Gold Ring
  • Silver Ring
  • Watch With Leather Strap
  • Plain Bracelet
  • Pink Bling Ring
  • Green Bling Ring
  • Cool Earrings
Tops Etc.

• Zip-Up Jacket with Chain Power T-Shirt (Green)
  • Power T-shirt (Purple)
  • Red T-shirt
  • Polo Shirt
  • Studious Checkered Shirt
  • Blue Shirt Black Jacket with Zips Alt T-Shirt
  • Manly T-shirt
  • Cheap T-shirt
  • Green Flowered Vest
  • Tight T-Shirt (Orange)
  • Tight T-shirt (Blue)
  • Move T-Shirt Open Neck
  • Navy Top
  • Grey Shirt
  • Yellow Cardigan with Green Vest
  • Cowgirl Shirt
  • Black Crop Top with Sweat Bands
  • Short Brown Jacket Tight
  • Green Flowered Vest
Bottoms Etc.

• Blue Jeans
  • Grey Skirt with Thread Detail Three Quarter Length
  • Camo Trousers
  • Short Frilly Black Skirt
  • Layered Black Skirt with Belt Denim
  • Short Shorts
  • Hawaiian Hotpants
  • Grey Jogging Bottoms
  • Turn-up Surfer Shorts
  • Fitted Black Trousers
  • Polkadot Skirt
  • Jeans with Pattern Detail
  • Jeans with Side Stitching
  • Beige Chinos
  • Brown Trousers
  • Faded Jeans
  • Navy Jeans
  • Brown Camo Jeans
  • Surfer Shorts
Shoes:

• Formal Shoes
  • Orange Sneakers
  • White Trainers
  • Hiker Trainers
  • Brown Decks
  • Light Loafers
  • White and Red Trainers
  • Orange and Blue Trainers
  • Dark Brown Decks
  • Sky Blue Decks
  • Orange Decks
  • Pink Decks
  • Brown Sandals
  • Black Boots with Buckle
  • Sports Trainers
Gender and Basic Options:

• Male Body
  • Female Body
  • Male Body Head
  • Texture Head
Neutral Animations:

• Closet Examine
  • Lower Closet Examine
  • Shoes Closet Examine
  • Upper Closet
  • Spin Animation
  • Creator Walk On
  • Creator Walk Off
  • Creator Look Down
  • Creator Look Left
  • Creator Look Neutral
  • Creator Look Right
  • Creator Look Up
  • Creator Turn Left
  • Creator Pick Me Start
  • Creator Pick Me Stop
  • Creator Pick Me
  • Generic Clap
  • Generic Stand 0
  • Generic Stand 1
  • Generic Stand 2
  • Generic Wave
  • Generic Celebration
Male and Female Animations:

• Angry
  • Confused
  • Idle Looks Around
  • Idle Check Nails (female only)
  • Idle Shifts Weight (female only)
  • Idle Stomp Spider (female only)
  • Idle Stretch (male only)
  • Idle Turn Around (male only
  • Laugh
  • Sad Cry
  • Shocked Surprised
  • Yawn
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/07/31/rumor-avatar-customization-options-discovered/

I was hoping for masks/helments...

[quote name='tokitoki50']I bet that's just the basic list. There's still going to be downloadable/unlockable avatar clothing.[/quote]

Yeah, unlockable will be awesome, but I wonder how much they're going to charge for DLC clothing.

Redesign looks good, can't wait for the Netflix integration as well. Already have an account but haven't used the instant viewing as I hate watching movies on my pc or laptop.

Still hoping for an option to turn off the friends online popups while leaving the achievement earned pop ups. Hate having all the friend online notifications pop up when playing single player games.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Redesign looks good, can't wait for the Netflix integration as well. Already have an account but haven't used the instant viewing as I hate watching movies on my pc or laptop.

Still hoping for an option to turn off the friends online popups while leaving the achievement earned pop ups. Hate having all the friend online notifications pop up when playing single player games.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I hate that it's all-or-nothing.

I'd love it if they had over the top costumes but it seems like they're just going to have "skins" for the typical shirt and pants template.

[quote name='thrustbucket']No. But the constant mention of "late fall" I guess means November?[/quote]

I have no proof, but i bet it comes out at least a week before gears of war 2 if not sooner. The party system would be key for that game, and I would imagine they would like a week if not more to work out any bugs. I am pretty sure ron workman, formerly of destructoid, mentioned sept when he was on the allgames podcast a week or so ago. Maybe it wasn't him, but I am fairly certain it was on that show and not some other one I listen too. He is a rather well informed blogger.

I'm liking it solely because it looks like they're doing away with the ads that clutter up the blades. That may just be wishful thinking, though.

[quote name='Agrippan']I'm liking it solely because it looks like they're doing away with the ads that clutter up the blades. That may just be wishful thinking, though.[/QUOTE]
They say they're going to restrict ads to one certain marketplace blade, but take that with a truckload of salt.

They're saying November. I'm looking forward to this as much as any game this Fall, sadly enough. Well, maybe not as much as GH:World Tour and GoW2. But, it's pretty damn close.

I'm anxious to see how gamerpics and themes will work.

The latest OXM (GoW2 Cover) says that MS still has yet to reveal 2 secret features from the update. This was from the rumor section so take it for what it is.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']According to some dahsboard advertisement, the NXE is scheduled to hit in November:
[/quote]

My guess is November 3rd. That is when the new ExpertZone is going to be launched, so they might launch together.

EDIT: FYI for all those who have access to ExpertZone, the points you earn don't carry over to the new site so you have to use them before Nov. 3rd or you lose them.

the only thing is that the new Scene It is going to be using Avatars and that comes out October. Though then again, they could be releasing everything in tiers or some support won't be useful till the NXE (or what ever you want to call it) is launched.

Also, is there any idea on when the community games are going to be released other than "this holiday"?

[quote name='life.exe']My guess is November 3rd. That is when the new ExpertZone is going to be launched, so they might launch together.

EDIT: FYI for all those who have access to ExpertZone, the points you earn don't carry over to the new site so you have to use them before Nov. 3rd or you lose them.[/QUOTE]

Whats the Expertzone? Never mind, figured out that is that retail site

[quote name='life.exe']
EDIT: FYI for all those who have access to ExpertZone, the points you earn don't carry over to the new site so you have to use them before Nov. 3rd or you lose them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing this out! I'm going to have to cash out soonish because I've been saving up for the new stuff coming this fall.

Really /really/ excited about the HD install feature for games. Looking forward to playing Mass Effect again with possibly shorter load times.

Edited: Urk. Is this just about the avatars? Well, I guess those are okay, but hardly the feature I'm looking forward to.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yea installing Mass Effect to a hard drive would eliminate texture popping no?[/quote]

That is what I am hoping. And shorter elevator rides.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Nah I'm pretty sure that's hard coded into the game, your elevator wouldn't go faster sorry.[/quote]
It's possible Bioware will patch Mass Effect to shorten elevator rides if the game is running off the HDD.

[quote name='life.exe']My guess is November 3rd. That is when the new ExpertZone is going to be launched, so they might launch together.

I thought this was MS way to weed out the garbage...who knows. They require people to re-register also I believe.

EDIT: FYI for all those who have access to ExpertZone, the points you earn don't carry over to the new site so you have to use them before Nov. 3rd or you lose them.[/quote]

That's good to know. I do have some points to use up over there.

Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like the Zune service is going down for maintenance on Monday in addition to XBL. Perhaps the new XBL will have some sort of upgraded Zune integration. I hope so.

bread's done
Back