New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

[quote name='chasemurata']It is going to be hilarious to encounter a clan of Furries.[/quote]

haha, oh god.. Well better than a troop of flying penises from second life I guess.

[quote name='tokitoki50']Remember when the avatar stories first leaked? They had one pic where the dude was in a bunny suit. I definitely think it's possible that they might have some crazy clothing options, especially for achievement unlockables.[/quote]

[quote name='tokitoki50']haha, oh god.. Well better than a troop of flying penises from second life I guess.[/quote]

True, true.

I call rabbit...

*flees*/*hops away* :whistle2:#

I'm sure at the very least they'll let you wear gamerpics as pictures on a T-shirt, or some insane full-back tattoo.

[quote name='Danil ACE']Did anyone else notice the heroic map pack being 150pts?[/quote]
Really? Last I saw it was lowered to 600 MS Points for E3 week. If this is the case, Ill buy it right now, theres not much I can do with the 220 points Ihave right now anyway.

The more and more I see the new blades in action the happier I am with the new system. Now that I see how themes look on them, Im pumped for the new update. I like most of you do not want an avatar, unless I can curb stop people in the community lobby.

new details
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/891/891275p1.html

Speaking of which, all the themes and gamerpics you have already purchased will work in the new interface. Each channel will display the images that previously were housed on the blades, but on the upper half of the screen only rather than the full screen (see image below). Gamerpics will also still work alongside your avatar.

Whitten said the main channels of the new interface won't be cluttered with ads. Instead there will be a new section – the Spotlight Channel -- dedicated solely to marketing and advertising from Microsoft and its corporate partners. You might see info about an upcoming online event or a pitch for an upcoming third-party game in this section. The Games Channel is where you'll find the game-related content formerly associated with Marketplace. It has four sections: Browse Games, Top Downloads, New Arrivals and Major's Picks. From here, you can browse and buy Xbox Live Arcade games, Xbox Originals and downloadable content.

In order to make use of this function, you'll need to have the retail disk in the tray so the machine can authenticate the game. It will briefly spin up and then spin back down again when the hard disk takes over. If you want, you can even copy one disk of a multi-disc game to the hard drive. The payoff? Up to 30 percent quicker load times.

One of the coolest changes to the Dashboard is a major behind-the-scenes shift. Currently, if you're playing, say, Assault Heroes 2 with a friend online and want to switch to Carcassonne, you have to exit the game, go to the dashboard, start up the new game and re-invite your friend. With the new Party system you can bring up the guide in Assault Heroes 2, choose Carcassonne and take your whole party to the new game right from there. It's a huge change that should make playing games online with friends much more streamlined.

also major nelson confirmed MS is working on unlocking avatar clothing by unlocking achivements
http://www.gamespot.com/video/0/6194493/videoplayerpop?rgroup=e32008_live

Last edited by a moderator:
Whitten said the main channels of the new interface won't be cluttered with ads. Instead there will be a new section – the Spotlight Channel -- dedicated solely to marketing and advertising from Microsoft and its corporate partners.

That's HUGE. I'm really glad they decided to do this.

Also Unlockable avatar clothing = sexy.

[quote name='KillJoi99']Really? Last I saw it was lowered to 600 MS Points for E3 week. If this is the case, Ill buy it right now, theres not much I can do with the 220 points Ihave right now anyway.[/quote]

Well...it's free, so don't go giving away your points. ;)

He was referring to the first screenshot, which shows the map pack at 150 points. I really wouldn't put it past them to start charging for something that was previously free, but there's probably a simpler explanation.

I'm kind of amazed at how blatantly they copied both Nintendo's Miis and Apple's CoverFlow.

Anything has to be better than the current system as far as themes go; I have almost never seen a theme that didn't look like a complete visual clusterfuck.

The party system is definitely cool though.

The 360 has been out, what, like three years?

All that time, and their current dashboard still isn't bug-free. There are still lockups and such, especially when the Guide button comes into play.

I hate to see them jump to a new dashboard, because they will almost certainly bring new bugs and shit right back to this new dashboard. And with their two-a-year updating system or whatever, it means we get stuck waiting for them again.

However, seeing that in motion looks promising...if only because it looks (and sounds) like the ads will not be pasted all over. I hate the Avatar looks though. Unlockable clothes will be cool, but I hope we don't see the option to purchase clothes.

i like the idea of customizing the avatar, but am waiting for the period when the cooler things are going to cost money and the lame things are going to be free.

looks cool, but can get very cumbersome very quickly. guess we won't have a choice though eh?

I don't like avatars as well, but this should fix alot of complaints that were associated with the current dashboard. Think of it as MS's version of the XMB since it works exactly the same way.

Hate the look of the new design so far, looks like a slightly glorified Media Center. A lot of WASTED space, and entirely too much priority afford to fucking aesthetics. Wish they'd just leave it the hell alone, it's VERY nice how it is... AND FUNCTIONAL.

[quote name='Aleryn']Hate the look of the new design so far, looks like a slightly glorified Media Center. A lot of WASTED space, and entirely too much priority afford to fucking aesthetics. Wish they'd just leave it the hell alone, it's VERY nice how it is... AND FUNCTIONAL.[/quote]
And extremely laggy...

Whitten said the main channels of the new interface won't be cluttered with ads. Instead there will be a new section – the Spotlight Channel -- dedicated solely to marketing and advertising from Microsoft and its corporate partners.

That's awesome!

[quote name='DaveD']People still play Halo?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. A lot of people. Props for being so very original with your jabs, though.

[quote name='Aleryn']Hate the look of the new design so far, looks like a slightly glorified Media Center. A lot of WASTED space, and entirely too much priority afford to fucking aesthetics. Wish they'd just leave it the hell alone, it's VERY nice how it is... AND FUNCTIONAL.[/quote]
Its called dead space, and it makes it look good not nearly as damned cluttered. Plus when you add a theme it spices it up more.

[quote name='Aleryn']Hate the look of the new design so far, looks like a slightly glorified Media Center. A lot of WASTED space, and entirely too much priority afford to fucking aesthetics. Wish they'd just leave it the hell alone, it's VERY nice how it is... AND FUNCTIONAL.[/QUOTE]

Blame apple for that. That is true of them, and their sales numbers show that's what people like. (I don't)

That gamespot video should alleviate most people's concerns. Larry specifically mentions they know a lot of "hard core gamers" won't like the avatars, as this thread proves.

[quote name='Corvin']Count me in the minority but I kinda like it. I'd rather keep the gamertag icons than have a second Mii character.[/QUOTE]
Bingo. I'm coming around on the dash layout...the themes make it look acceptable and the navigation is fine. If they actually live up to the "no ads" thing I'll be impressed.

I really don't see why there is so much hate on the avatars idea. It's not like you have to doll them up, spend money on them, or really do anything with them. Gamerpics are still there, why not just enjoy the gimmick?

Couple of bits from Joystiq...not much really new but a decent summary of the last day:

"There's nothing to announce" right now regarding a keyword search for the Marketplace. Let's hope they either a) add one in or b) drastically improve how we find things

Playing games from the hard drive will work fine for multi-disc games; in fact, you can pick which discs you want to rip (for example, we're superstitious and we'd only rip odd-numbered discs). As an example, we were told that Devil May Cry 4 is approximately a 4 or 5GB installation and took about ten minutes.

You'll need to keep the disc in the drive the entire time. This is about speeding up load times (and hey, bonus tip: no more noisy DVD drive while you're playing!)

The alerts look the same – actually, like the entire interface, they look sharper, cleaner. Oh, and the sound is the same.

Yes, you can still use your gamertag pics and your themes (in fact, they look a lot better now!)

[quote name='bamajeep']I wonder if you can make your avatar say things like the OP's "Welcome to E3"? Maybe your motto?[/QUOTE]

Yep.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']so if it takes 10 mins to install dmc 4 then why does it take 30 mins to install dmc 4 on ps3? :lol:[/quote]

Because the blue Ray drive doesn't read as fast as the 360's regular dvd drive.. not sure what that has to do with the new dashboard design though.

At first the new dash looked applish and stupid but I'm warming up to it since I watched that gamespot video. Hehe Finish Gears 2 on Insane and get an unlockable chainsaw rifle for your avatar haha. GTAIV, turn your avatar into a zombie if you killed a Rockstar. I just wish that a lot of games that are arealy out might use this like they're doing with trophies with the PSN. Mass Effect, get ME armor, or helmet, if beaten the game on Lvl 60 haha.

i think it would be cool if u get 1k/1k on a game u unlock a special avatar char from that game
like if u got all the achievements in gears 2 u unlock a marcus avatar with his gear and everything

For all those of you who actually bit on buying this useless 65kb packages of nothing, do any of you know what happens to them come the fall update?

If your gamerpic is replaced by avatars, then all the gamerpics microsoft is selling become that much more useless. And seeing as the themes weren't designed for this new dashboard, those become useless too.

I'm surprised I haven't heard more uproar over this. Is there a simple solution they've already announced? Or does it turn out nobody has actually fallen for buying this useless crap so nobody even bothered to think about it?

punishment for buying that shit. That's what you get for buying your ultra cool Master Chief gamerpic brought to you by Mountain Dew 360 Gamerfuel Doritos inc.

Supposedly you can keep the gamerpics or go to the avatar. They also have something in the works for the themes from what I've read over on the xbox.com forums.

[quote name='mogshaz']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190617

I think there is no uproar because the themes won't become useless.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. Not bad, but half the themes are designed to fit in with the particular caveats of the old dashboard (sides cut off by blades, open spaces in a few particular places).

I guess the gamerpic probably goes up on the little gamercard thing on the top right hand corner (where all the XBL Party gamerpics go).

Side note: I wonder where they're going to fit all the obnoxious ads in.

[quote name='Ex~']
Side note: I wonder where they're going to fit all the obnoxious ads in.[/QUOTE]

They said there will be one section that's like "what's new" that will have adds in it, or something.

Did we really need a third thread on the new dashboard?

Here it is:
dashwiththeme-1.jpg

Yes, you can still use your gamertag pics and your themes (they look cleaner and more crisp now, an example of what it could look like is above) -- example of a gamerpic in action is in the top right corner of the image above
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/0...u-need-to-know-about-the-new-xbox-experience/

[quote name='Ex~']Hmmm. Not bad, but half the themes are designed to fit in with the particular caveats of the old dashboard (sides cut off by blades, open spaces in a few particular places).

I guess the gamerpic probably goes up on the little gamercard thing on the top right hand corner (where all the XBL Party gamerpics go).

Side note: I wonder where they're going to fit all the obnoxious ads in.[/quote]

this

Speaking of which, all the themes and gamerpics you have already purchased will work in the new interface. Each channel will display the images that previously were housed on the blades, but on the upper half of the screen only rather than the full screen (see image below). Gamerpics will also still work alongside your avatar.

Whitten said the main channels of the new interface won't be cluttered with ads. Instead there will be a new section – the Spotlight Channel -- dedicated solely to marketing and advertising from Microsoft and its corporate partners. You might see info about an upcoming online event or a pitch for an upcoming third-party game in this section. The Games Channel is where you'll find the game-related content formerly associated with Marketplace. It has four sections: Browse Games, Top Downloads, New Arrivals and Major's Picks. From here, you can browse and buy Xbox Live Arcade games, Xbox Originals and downloadable content.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']so if it takes 10 mins to install dmc 4 then why does it take 30 mins to install dmc 4 on ps3? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Seriously, doesn't it make you laugh?

Even with Sony having the Blu-Ray drive, they were the first to have the need to download a game to the hard-drive, thus completely negating the effect of having the Blu-Ray drive in the first place. It would be just as easy to install one disk, and then swap out and install a second disk, if a game is so large it requires more than one disk.

With disk-download, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use Blu-Ray for games, and a big reason not to: because it takes forever to download with such a slow speed drive.

Thus, Blu-Ray has been rendered entirely useless, and a bit of a burden, for use with games. At least it's a good deal for a movie-player.

[quote name='Ex~']Thus, Blu-Ray has been rendered entirely useless, and a bit of a burden, for use with games. At least it's a good deal for a movie-player.[/QUOTE]

This is not entirely true. An argument can still be made by the developers of a game like Resistance that because their game takes up 20GB or whatever it does, that they can install 8GB of that and simply access the other 12GB from the disc. That's something that can not be done using DVD.

The installing of games to the hard drive is more ominous for disc based media in general, than for the Blu-ray disc. This is the second step they're taking towards a day where you can only download your games directly from Microsoft and Sony.

bread's done
Back