New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

So the Arcade is now, essentially, a $230 20GB system with a free memory unit for taking your saves and profiles to friends' places. Great deal.

Would it screw up your system if you keep switching hard drives? I have a two-year-old core (purchased a 20 GB hard drive separately), but would like to get another 20 GB HD for movies, etc. with NetFlix coming. Not sure how much of a pain in the a** it would be to keep switching back and fourth, but I can't afford a 120GB drive either.

For $20, it might be worth a shot.

^^ Just tried and didn't qualify. Guess they must have a record of purchased hard drives attached to your machine. I wish they had a hard-drive updgrade program so I could upgrade my 20 GB to a 120 GB.

Qualified for the $20 (only) hard drive with no $10 3-month Live subscription for my Arcade unit. Here is my setup and why I think it happened.

I have a Pro unit and an Arcade unit. I'm on my 4th Pro unit from the red ring so when I saw that I was able to get an Arcade unit on Amazon last December for like $200, I figured I'd just buy it as a backup. I have my Pro unit hooked up to my main TV and my Arcade hooked up to my PC (second monitor of my dual monitor set up). Both are connected to my router and my profile is stored on my memory card. I play on both my Arcade and my Pro (usually when my wife wants to watch TV, etc.) by moving my memory card back and forth, usually with the save files. My hard drive for my pro is where I just download demos and extra content but I still keep my main saves for everything on my 256 gig memory card so I can switch between consoles with no problems. As of this past weekend, I was already down to less than 100 megs on that memory card and I never hooked up my 20 gig HD to my Arcade unit.

Microsoft probably saw that I was a user connecting to Xbox Live on an Arcade Unit with a memory card with less than the required space needed for the update and gave me the offer of just the hard drive only. I believe that if I had more than 128 megs when they performed the check, I would be ineligible for the hard drive offer. Also, I'm guessing that if I had ever hooked up a hard drive to my Arcade unit prior to their check, I would also be ineligible because they'd assume I really actually had a hard drive. I have no idea how the $10 3 month Gold thing happens. I'm guessing that's if you connect to Live on your Arcade unit but aren't a gold subscriber?

Cliffnotes: Seems like if you play on an Arcade unit and connect to Live without ever having a hard drive connected to your system and your memory card has less than 128 megs remaining, you will be eligible for the hard drive update on your Arcade unit.

[quote name='espionage']
Cliffnotes: Seems like if you play on an Arcade unit and connect to Live without ever having a hard drive connected to your system and your memory card has less than 128 megs remaining, you will be eligible for the hard drive update on your Arcade unit.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure. I just got an Arcade. I only have a few saves on it (I would guess I have 200+ MB free) and I qualified for the HD +3 Mos Xbox Live card for $30.

[quote name='espionage']Qualified for the $20 (only) hard drive with no $10 3-month Live subscription for my Arcade unit. Here is my setup and why I think it happened.
Cliffnotes: Seems like if you play on an Arcade unit and connect to Live without ever having a hard drive connected to your system and your memory card has less than 128 megs remaining, you will be eligible for the hard drive update on your Arcade unit.[/QUOTE]

I was trying to figure this out too since it happened to my friend and most likely it will happen to myself. It might be much simpler than them having a record of you "connecting" to LIVE: consider that they have your download history tied to each console, and if your download history for your Arcade console contains any item greater than 256MB, they have a way of knowing that you can handle it and require no upgrade.

So yeah. I'm thinking download history. Which means I'm screwed for hard-drive-swapping between two consoles, which sucks 'cause I'd rather have hard-drive-swapping be an option instead of a requirement. Maybe someone will alert them to this position and have them fix it. That'd be nice.

[quote name='J7.']No point in buying the premium anymore lol, unless you're dying for an extra 40 gigs.[/quote]

That extra 40GB will certainly come in handy with all of the new features, mainly the optional installs, coming to the 360, which is why I upgraded to the 120GB. Plus, I guess the purchase could be swayed by what free games you want to get.

They should also let us that use the 64mb memory unit, trade in for a bigger one.I have my profile on the 64mb card instead of the HD so i can play on my brothers & friends Xbox.I wont be able to do that after the update.:bomb:

[quote name='letmeinnow']They should also let us that use the 64mb memory unit, trade in for a bigger one.I have my profile on the 64mb card instead of the HD so i can play on my brothers & friends Xbox.I wont be able to do that after the update.:bomb:[/QUOTE]
if your friend has an HDD or another memory card, why not? As long as he's downloaded the update on his system, you're fine; your memory card should still only need to hold your small profile.

At least, I'm pretty sure... Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm bidding on a 64MB memory card on eBay right now. :p

[quote name='Winnopeg']if your friend has an HDD or another memory card, why not? As long as he's downloaded the update on his system, you're fine; your memory card should still only need to hold your small profile.

At least, I'm pretty sure... Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm bidding on a 64MB memory card on eBay right now. :p[/QUOTE]

The update itself takes no space. Your Avatar is what takes the space. So, a 64MB MU might not hold a profile anymore.

[quote name='mkelehan']The update itself takes no space. Your Avatar is what takes the space. So, a 64MB MU might not hold a profile anymore.[/QUOTE]
Ahh, got it. Thanks a ton. :applause:

I got the deal no mention on how long for shipping. got the 20Gb drive and 3 months of Live Gold for 32.46 after tax. I also got a conformation email but it has no order # or anything.

I've been in the market for an Arcade for a little while now. Just waiting for a reason to bite. I'd jump on this for the cheap HD and 3 months of Live, but so far I can't tell whether buying the current Arcade (holiday bundle or not) with the 256 MB card would disqualify me from the promotion. How many people have gotten an Arcade recently, do NOT have a hard drive (or at least have never attached one to their machine), and have successfully gotten this deal?

I imagine within a day or so there will be enough forum posts to come to a consensus on exactly what is needed to get this deal. I just want to make sure I'll be able to if I pick up an Arcade soon.

Thanks!

If anyone wants to trade the memory card for the 20gb hard drive pm me, I can get the $20 20GB HDD for you but I can't get the memory card.

This reminds me of the government bailout. Let's reward the people that were dumb enough to buy a 360 without a HD in the first place, why don't we. And like the poster above mentions, completely neglect the even dumber (but more forward-thinking) people who fell for buying a miniscule 64MB memory card (to go along with the 360 with a HD) which should have never even been offered in the first place. When the goofy DRM makes having that 64MB for backups pointless anyway. So the only thing its really good for is profiles, and if those won't fit any more. . .

Actually maybe I should say "cheap" since this is CAG instead of "dumb" but most people not here that did it are probably the "dumb" ones because they probably didn't have a source for a cheap HD to make up for the lack of one. So I guess props to Microsoft for rewarding the CAG's, anyway.

[quote name='easper']I've been in the market for an Arcade for a little while now. Just waiting for a reason to bite. I'd jump on this for the cheap HD and 3 months of Live, but so far I can't tell whether buying the current Arcade (holiday bundle or not) with the 256 MB card would disqualify me from the promotion. How many people have gotten an Arcade recently, do NOT have a hard drive (or at least have never attached one to their machine), and have successfully gotten this deal?

I imagine within a day or so there will be enough forum posts to come to a consensus on exactly what is needed to get this deal. I just want to make sure I'll be able to if I pick up an Arcade soon.

Thanks![/quote]
I got my Arcade a couple of weeks ago (with the free LEGO Batman on Amazon), and it qualified for the deal. Only have like 3 game saves on my 256MB card, so I don't think it goes by how much space you have left, just if you have a hard drive or not.

The deal I got was the $30 for the 20GB and 3 months of live. Like 32.xx after tax. No added costs for shipping.

[quote name='Winnopeg']if your friend has an HDD or another memory card, why not? As long as he's downloaded the update on his system, you're fine; your memory card should still only need to hold your small profile.

At least, I'm pretty sure... Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm bidding on a 64MB memory card on eBay right now. :p[/quote]

SMALL Profile depends on your gamerscore/games played... My profile is already hitting the 45-50MB range [100k+ gamerscore]...

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']I got my Arcade a couple of weeks ago (with the free LEGO Batman on Amazon), and it qualified for the deal. Only have like 3 game saves on my 256MB card, so I don't think it goes by how much space you have left, just if you have a hard drive or not.

The deal I got was the $30 for the 20GB and 3 months of live. Like 32.xx after tax. No added costs for shipping.[/quote]

Great! Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear. I'm still kicking myself for waiting too long and missing out on that Amazon deal. I'd love to hold out for something similar to hit again, but I may just go ahead and pull the trigger this time. A cheap hard drive and a few months of Live is a good deal any way you slice it.

I know this isn't the right place for this, but I figure it'll get some attention here.

I've got a 20GB HD from my premium that I've just wiped clean. It's in great shape (still has the little protective sticker) and hasn't been banned/abused in any way. If anyone is interested in it, I'll gladly let it go for what Microsoft is charging + $5 shipping ($25 shipped). That's negotiable as well, and I've got a bunch of 1-month cards in case someone would rather create a similar bundle to what MS is putting together. Just send me a PM and I'll get back to you.

I'm not sure how they're basing this.

I have a 1-year old arcade unit that came with the 512 MB memory card. All I have on there are a few game saves.

I also have an Elite 120 and switch that HD to my arcade sometimes.

I put in my serial and got the 20 GB drive for $19.99. Go figure.

Hey guys I've got a question here that i'd like someone to answer if they could.I currently have a pro xbox 360 but its the oldest model though 2006 manufacturing date.And it sounds like a freaking vacuum when running a game and I've gone thru about 6 360's and I have a feeling this one will die soon as well so I'm thinking about selling it and buying the arcade instead but the thing is if I log in with my old gamertag on the new xbox 360 arcade i'm planning to purcahase do you think I won't be elgible anymore for the offer of the 20g hdd for 20$ since they might pick up some info that I had a pro before and downloaded a lot of things?Should I create a new gamertag when getting the arcade?

I'd be very thankfull if someone answers me this question.

Thank you

[quote name='Deagle814']Hey guys I've got a question here that i'd like someone to answer if they could.I currently have a pro xbox 360 but its the oldest model though 2006 manufacturing date.And it sounds like a freaking vacuum when running a game and I've gone thru about 6 360's and I have a feeling this one will die soon as well so I'm thinking about selling it and buying the arcade instead but the thing is if I log in with my old gamertag on the new xbox 360 arcade i'm planning to purcahase do you think I won't be elgible anymore for the offer of the 20g hdd for 20$ since they might pick up some info that I had a pro before and downloaded a lot of things?Should I create a new gamertag when getting the arcade?

I'd be very thankfull if someone answers me this question.

Thank you[/quote]
Excellent question, I would like to know too. Does this deal work on brand new arcades bought today? Because I might be interested in selling my old 360 to get a Jasper.

Just bought an Arcade last night. It hasn't shipped yet so I haven't had the chance to see whether I'm eligible for the promo (though I'm pretty sure I am). But I wanted some advice and figured you guys would be the ones to ask:

My friend recently bought a 120 GB HD, and offered to sell me his old 20 GB drive if I bought an Arcade (this was before the Microsoft deal came up). If he matches the $20 price, is it better to take a HD that hasn't given him any problems but which he's had since the system's launch, or go with the refurbished drive?

The devil you know, or the devil you don't?

(If this isn't the best thread for this question, please direct me to something better.)

Thanks!

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Like Corvin said.

Quite frankly though, I would just give the 20gb hard drive to you if I were in your buddy's shoes.[/quote]

Hmm. Wanna be my best friend?

Seriously, though, I offered to compensate him so I'm more than willing to do so. I think you guys just confirmed my feeling about taking a known over an unknown, even if his drive is almost 3 years old. I can't remember reading anything about 360 drives going bad, anyway.

I am on my 3rd Core, all used with my 20 GB HDD I bought with the first one, and I got in on the 512 MB memory card. :)

I almost bought one months ago, but decided not to.

http://www.xboxstorageupgrade.com/h...557D90871149DD94B97CBE7A62BE52?ssLocale=en_US

Courtesy of 360kimbo:

Quote:
If you head over to Xbox.com, there is a service that will scan your serial number and console ID to ensure you don't have the 128 MB needed for the upgrade, then forward you to a page that will give you one of two different offers.

A refurbished 20 GB hard drive for $19.99 or a FREE 512 MB Memory Card.

Memory Update Support Website
or
Memory Upgrade Service Website
This is Microsoft's storage solution for the NXE.

EDIT:
For anyone looking to buy a new aracade console, the cheapest price is at amazon.com with a $10 discount.
http://360-deals.com/blogs/weekday-d...0/13/3450.aspx

More info on HDD / memory unit offer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKiddo
Just in case there was any confusion over yesterday’s announcement regarding Microsoft’s Xbox 360 memory upgrades, the gaming giant confirmed to Videogaming247 this morning that gamers in Europe who own the non-HD 360 will get the upgrade as well.

Just like in the States, you will need 128Mb of memory to run the New Xbox Experience, and will able to choose fro the following options:

General

* Active Live members with no storage or with a 64mb MU: Offered 512mb for free or 20GB HDD for £12.99
* Active Live members with 256 or 512 MU but no HDD: Offered 20GB HDD for £12.99
* Console has not connected to XBL 12 month and doesn’t possess MU: Offered 20gb HDD and 3 month Xbox Live £19.99

Arcade console

* Active Live subscribers without a HDD: Offered 20gb HDD for £12.99
* Non active Live subscriber without a HDD and not connected to XBL within 12 months: 20gb HDD + 3 month Xbox Live for £19.99

Just like American versions, you will need to go here to input your console’s serial number to find out if it is eligible for an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedsymphony
Just an FYI....

in the US version

CORE owners are given the option of a free 512MB MU or a $20 20GB HDD upgrade.

Arcade owners are given the option of a $30 20GB HDD upgrade with 3 Months of Xbox Live.

The reason being that Arcade owners received a console with a 512MB MU already so they technically have the space for the upgdate... although not much.

keep in mind that the Arcade Consoles DO NOT include HD cables... so you'll have to buy those separate.

Also the reason the 20GB Pro consoles were discontinued is because the Pro now includes a 60GB hard drive... Some retailers (like Amazon.com) still have 20GB units in stock and they fetch about $260

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']how long is shipping jaybird? wow that sounds fast![/quote]

Yeah I just ordered the 20GB HDD too. And got a email saying the order was processing. Just wondering how we know it's been shipped. And how long it takes to get to us too.

[quote name='TerraBemani']Yeah I just ordered the 20GB HDD too. And got a email saying the order was processing. Just wondering how we know it's been shipped. And how long it takes to get to us too.[/QUOTE]

Same here.
I put my order in the day after the offer was announced and still haven't had any notice on shipping.

Good luck getting microsoft to help you with this too. E-mail, phone and google all aren't getting me any real answers. I've given out my console Id and serial number, address, phone number, everything. The phone "support" is laughable at best. Funny how my cell dropped a call from there number -5- straight times too in a two day period. I have a late 2007 arcade model with the 256MB card too. And I just got the offer for the 20GB HDD for $20 only.

My guess there either backordered or they just don't give a shit and taking there time. I just assume both really at this point. The $21.39 charge hasn't cleared yet too on my card if that helps too.

was abit pissed, have core model since launch (it was when 360's were impossible to find) so technically the model I bought didn't have any storage devices, yet when I entered my info it say's i'm all set.. So I assume it knows if you've bought a hd out of your own pocket. Not that big of a deal. but the idea of a free memory card intrigued me.

Just got my free memory card, that was fast. Shipped Thursday, received today. Came with Worms XBLA, so I have that now too. I'm now "ready for the New Xbox Experience" according to the enclosed letter. ;)

I still think it's funny that people are getting rejected and I was on Live downloading stuff to my 20 GB when they OK'd me. Just got lucky, I guess. :)

[quote name='fart_bubble']BOOOO!!!

No gameshows till the Spring :nottalking:[/quote]

that's all I cared about... which means I could care less about the dashboard update for now.

bread's done
Back