New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

I guess it'll go up when November 19th comes, or whenever some people with a good hard drive start downloading. I MIGHT do it. But only if I get early access.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Ditto on that. I *need* the game installs. My disc drive is not pleased with continuous usage, and I'm sick of disc read errors an hour or two into my session (not to mention having to listen to it whir, buzz, click and chug).

The new navigational features will be kind of nice, too. The old dashboard is not so great.

We'll get it a couple weeks early if we get selected. Although I guess I'll already be playing Fallout 3 on PC by then. Darn it. I want to play Fable II unmolested![/QUOTE]

I have the same issues. I also got a 120 gig drive in anticipation of this update. Im ready to rock n roll.

damn the one day I didnt check majornelson.com and tthey do the Beta signup. I was checking all week but decided to play Castlevania Order of Ecclesia, well at least a beat a great game.

[quote name='screwkick']per major nelson: all available slots have been filled, and sign up is now closed.

fyi[/QUOTE]

I wonder how many applied versus how many will get in.

From Nelson's blog:

[quote name='VaginaClown']I just found out that that the preview program is now FULL. Now it's time to go through the thousands of applicants. Thanks for your interest and good luck getting in! [/QUOTE]

I keep getting the following message after logging in "An object that you requested, or that was needed to process your request could not be found."

Any ideas?

[quote name='IOWABERG']I keep getting the following message after logging in "An object that you requested, or that was needed to process your request could not be found."

Any ideas?
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='screwkick']per major nelson: all available slots have been filled, and sign up is now closed.

fyi[/QUOTE].

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I should have said I was subscribed to Netflix...I think having said no just dropped me from the list :whistle2:k[/quote]

You can log into your profile and edit your answers for the questionaire.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I should have said I was subscribed to Netflix...I think having said no just dropped me from the list :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that question definitely stood out more than the rest. I bet they want to test the server load/service before it actually goes live. Having them state that Gold members will get preference leads a little more credence to that stance as well.

I'm a Netflix subscriber and a Gold user so hopefully I can get in.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I totally lied about being a netflix subscriber, and I'm not ashamed.[/quote]

Me too. If I get selected I'm signing up though.

[quote name='spydey']Me too. If I get selected I'm signing up though.[/quote]
It's about $9 a month for 1 DVD out at a time and unlimited Instant Watch. Well worth it if you ask me.

I edited my survey to say I was a Netflix subscriber as well. I think the other advantage I might have is that I connect through VGA, and one of the things they mentioned for the update was new VGA support. Hopefully it'll be in there, as I'd like to get full use out of my monitor.

I signed up, but I'm a little concerned the early birds will get a buggy version. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

[quote name='jigsawhc']I signed up, but I'm a little concerned the early birds will get a buggy version. Guess we'll have to wait and see.[/quote]

Why is that? Nelson said on his podcast that NXE is done and this isn't a beta. It's just a preview.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Why is that? Nelson said on his podcast that NXE is done and this isn't a beta. It's just a preview.[/QUOTE]

That's true. Actually I think his wording was "this cake is already baked, it likely won't be a different version at launch".

The question then stands: why wait? I guess they are just really trying hard to find the show stopping bug.

He also mentioned that the people that get it early will get a special 800 number they can call to a special team to directly ask questions or report issues to.

I don't trust Microsoft enough to let them run a major beta test on my 360. I'd think long and hard before installing it any earlier than I have to. I don't care if they say it is done, because there track record with "done" products (360 console itself, mics, wireless mics, Vista, etc..) is horrible. I'll probably wait a few days after it is actually released to install it on my console.

[quote name='jkanownik']I don't trust Microsoft enough to let them run a major beta test on my 360. I'd think long and hard before installing it any earlier than I have to. I don't care if they say it is done, because there track record with "done" products (360 console itself, mics, wireless mics, Vista, etc..) is horrible. I'll probably wait a few days after it is actually released to install it on my console.[/QUOTE]

Then you best disconnect your ethernet cable from the back of your 360.

I disagree with you, however. They do have a bad record with hardware. But with software they have a much better record than Sony. And even if there was something overlooked and something bad happened, I am confident they would fix or replace it.

With the ability of being able to stream netflix movies to our xbox360's on November 19, will the movies that are being streamed be presented in Hi Definition?

[quote name='Gamenads']With the ability of being able to stream netflix movies to our xbox360's on November 19, will the movies that are being streamed be presented in Hi Definition?[/quote]

no.... be happy if they are even widescreen

[quote name='Gamenads']With the ability of being able to stream netflix movies to our xbox360's on November 19, will the movies that are being streamed be presented in Hi Definition?[/QUOTE]

Netflix won't even attempt at offering HD streaming until the average broadband user has a connection 3-6x faster.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Then you best disconnect your ethernet cable from the back of your 360.

I disagree with you, however. They do have a bad record with hardware. But with software they have a much better record than Sony. And even if there was something overlooked and something bad happened, I am confident they would fix or replace it.[/quote]

I'm the first to say fuck MS on the software side of things, until the 360 came out. I have to admit that yes compared to Sony the have done a wonderful job with software side of the 360 no problems no bricks (that i am aware of) over all flawless so far

My buddies PS3 became one of the bricked units when Sony FW 2.42 came out and could have been avoid had Sony tested the firmware to it's limits. But to be fair they did pull it and were quick to fix the problem.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Netflix won't even attempt at offering HD streaming until the average broadband user has a connection 3-6x faster.[/QUOTE]

"It's something you can't get on the Roku. Nor on LG's BD300. Nor on Samsung's P2500 / P2550 Blu-ray players. Nor through Netflix's own "Watch Instantly" portal. It's high-def Netflix streaming, and it's coming first to Microsoft's Xbox 360. Yes friends, when the all new dashboard hits on November 19th, with it will come HD Netflix streaming for Xbox Live Gold members"

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/10/29/hd-netflix-streaming-comes-to-xbox-360-first/

Now i'm really wanting in the preview for this...

[quote name='ndshide']"It's something you can't get on the Roku. Nor on LG's BD300. Nor on Samsung's P2500 / P2550 Blu-ray players. Nor through Netflix's own "Watch Instantly" portal. It's high-def Netflix streaming, and it's coming first to Microsoft's Xbox 360. Yes friends, when the all new dashboard hits on November 19th, with it will come HD Netflix streaming for Xbox Live Gold members"

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/10/29/hd-netflix-streaming-comes-to-xbox-360-first/

Now i'm really wanting in the preview for this...[/quote]
Whoa... do want!

The girlfriend and I are strongly considering rejoining Netflix. Including 360 functionality only sweetens the deal.

[quote name='KingBroly']Yes..."HD" :eyeroll:. Compressed liked crazy.

No emails seem to have gone out yet.[/QUOTE]

Still better than SD.

The HD streaming adjusts on the fly to your download capabilities.

bread's done
Back